Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: enhanced metahuman eyesight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cybertrucker
Ok so heres the question if your a troll or a dwarf and you have thermographic can you turn it off? if not how the heck would they be able to read printed text and they would not be able to see color at anytime the way normal people do.. could cause some issues. but its not like it is goggles or cyberware that could has an on and off switch... no where does it state that metahumans and there enhanced eyesite is able to be turned of which could turn into a hinderance? Hope to get some feedback on this because this might be bad news for our dwarven mage!
Mistwalker
It's not that they can turn it off, but they can focus to read, write and see colors.

You don't conciously control the focus of your eyes when you look up from reading a book to glance down the street. I see no reason why it wouldn't work similarly for thermographics.
hobgoblin
its more a case of a overlay. you may see someone glow with heat, or have the heat vision slowly take over as the area around becomes darker. basically, don't think about it like those green images you see on tv whenever they are showing some night shots from iraq or similar.

given that they are born with this ability, their brain and body should be perfectly adapted to handle the sensory data. in other words, it should not be a problem.

unless someone stick a very hot object close to their view. but then that would be like sticking a flashlight into someones face.
OneTrikPony
It's always been my impression that the troll/dwarf natural thermo vision was just an increased sensitivity to a broader slice of the EM spectrum. Basicly that if you have natural thermo vision your eyes sense, and your brain interprets, more colors of red then we norms can imagine.

with low light you just see beter in the dark it's not like you see only black and white like some dogs.

with goggles/cybereyes the lowlight/thermo is overlayed ontop of normal vision

so with enhanced vision systems you can see both at the same time. It's just that in the dark you don't see the visable spectrum. So for example, for a troll to read something off a page of paper in total darkness he might need a light source.

I've always thought that it was unstated cannon that actual wood fiber hardcopy was rare. In < SR4 there were thermo printers, in SR4 now we have electronic paper. So, the reading in the dark situations might not apply so often.

*by thermal printers i mean the kind of "inkless" printers that print via heat on special paper that came out years ago. The point is that thermal printing, (as well as Ink printing), probably changes the Emissive properties of the paper surface which may allow a very sensitive system to detect IR emmission differentials between print and paper.

I have the impression that when archaeologists study historical documents they actualy use IR scanning but it may be that they're using UV scanning I don't remember off the top of my head.
Demerzel
In old SR3 the description was something like it was an overlay and they have both types of vision on simultaneously. SR3 also made a ditinction between natural and cyber thermographic, they provided different levels of penalty abatement.

SR4 does not have this distinction however, does it still requires that a cyber user use a simple action to switch vision modes?
hobgoblin
i think they use UV scanning.

and one of the points of electronic paper is that it do not need a back light to be readable (unlike LCD screens). therefor, unless a electronic paper based device have a back light, one may well have a problem reading it in dark areas.
OneTrikPony
Ah, good point, Electronic paper is not a flexable LCD, it's probably ruthenium polymer.
fistandantilus4.0
You could read the book "Changeling" if you can find it for some good examples. Good book anyways.
lorechaser
Amusing random bit of info.

In Striper Assassin's ads, that book is named "Shadowrun: Challenging."

Changeling's a really good book for getting a trog's mindset, I think.
OneTrikPony
I agree that Shadowrun #5 Changeling, has good descriptions of what the world looks like to a troll. The book is first person from a trolls point of view and he describes that he can see an "aura of heat" around people, He can see the heat of his own body casting a pink glow through his bedcloths and he sees heat (not steam) rising from cups of coffee.

Im not so sure that its a good description of a trolls mindset. At least not the average troll. because the character Goblinized he knew what it was like to be human and it took him years to accept his body and the way other people reacted to him. If I quickly grew into a *really big* black man I'm not sure I'd immediately have a "black man's" mindset. Of course that example isn't a direct analog. ( BTW I'm white and average sized) I think the book gave and excelent descripion of what it might be like to be a troll physicaly and sensualy. Which of course has alot to do with mindset.
MYST1C
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
Im not so sure that its a good description of a trolls mindset. At least not the average troll. because the character Goblinized he knew what it was like to be human and it took him years to accept his body and the way other people reacted to him.

Not to forget that he was a genius as a human and even after golinization retained an intelligence far above average (and very likely above the normal racial max of trolls).
fistandantilus4.0
Even without Cerebral Boosters. wink.gif

[ Spoiler ]
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I hate threads left hanging.

you shoud probably read "fist full of Data" it picks up that particular thread and yanks it a little further out of the sweater

fistandantilus4.0
Thanks very much, now I have incentive to read it. Good to know, will do.
Fortune
See, that is exactly the point I was going for in the other (coincidently FFoD) thread, about reading all the material, because you never know when some interesting little piece of lore might pop up.
fistandantilus4.0
nyahnyah.gif
OneTrikPony
I don't think the cure will ever go away. Is that troll in humanis still alive?
Cray74
QUOTE (cybertrucker @ Nov 7 2006, 04:34 PM)
Ok so heres the question if your a troll or a dwarf and you have thermographic can you turn it off? if not how the heck would they be able to read printed text and they would not be able to see color at anytime the way normal people do.. could cause some issues.

I've been working extensively with an infrared camera on a USAF "aging aircraft" program. Not only can you read print with the IR camera, but you can read original, 40-year old manufacturer's stenciling on skin panels through paint.

Since dorfs overlap visible light reception with their infrared, I wouldn't worry about thermography blinding dorfs.
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (Cray74)

I've been working extensively with an infrared camera on a USAF "aging aircraft" program. Not only can you read print with the IR camera, but you can read original, 40-year old manufacturer's stenciling on skin panels through paint.

how does that camera work? What doe the pictures look like?

I mean it translates IR into VL on a screen or film? or is it more like black and white rendering of IR

I got to look through a camera the SLFD uses to look for hot spots in a building that had burned down. They told me it was an expencive piece of equipment but it looked like "predator vision" (u know from the old movie).

What is the sensitivity of the camera you use?

Thanx
Cray74
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Nov 9 2006, 07:53 AM)

how does that camera work? What doe the pictures look like?

A black and white picture.

It's surprisingly mundane: when you aim it at an aircraft surface, it looks like you're looking at bare aluminum sheet (typically a bit brushed looking thanks to past paint stripping and metal cleaning operations), sometimes with dirt, grease, or paint to thick for the camera to look through. Then you realize, "Hey, to my eyes, this looks like a painted surface, not bare metal."

People tend to be brightly glowing (white) figures. They're sharp enough (you can make out texture in clothing), but the camera wasn't pointed at people much. One of the fun things is seeing people reflected in IR on dull, painted aircraft surfaces.

I mean it translates IR into VL on a screen or film? or is it more like black and white rendering of IR

Er...it's a grayscale video image. The primary display is a standard 19" LCD set near the work spot.

There's some other displays: a 4" LCD that goes on the primary camera, but since the primary is 13lbs, the operators don't like adding on a few more pounds and use the 19" screen. Another, more advanced camera (much much lighter) we used has a built-in eyepiece like a normal portable video camera. There was also a monocle headset like an Apache pilot's monocle, but that was hard to get used to.

Both cameras have normal video output, so you can plug them into whatever display you have handy. Laptop with the correct video plugs, TV, etc.

What is the sensitivity of the camera you use?

Sharp enough to resolve fine scratches on the target surface or texture in clothing.
OneTrikPony
"IR reflection" Awesome!

that's something I might be able to use in my games. Do you think metahuman/cyber eyes might be able to pick up these reflections?

I guess by sencitivity I was actualy trying to say Resolution. I'd also like to know how big a range of the spectrum and what um... is the mid range of the frequencies or wavelengths (i can't keep em straight in my head) that the camera views?

thanx Cray74.

Jaid
IR reflections are already used in games. for example, i recall some comment on corp security where some corners had material that reflected only in the IR spectrum, so that the guards (with thermographic vision enhancements of one sort of another) could see around the corner, but those without such enhancements could not.
Cray74
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
"IR reflection" Awesome!

that's something I might be able to use in my games. Do you think metahuman/cyber eyes might be able to pick up these reflections?

Yes.

I guess by sencitivity I was actualy trying to say Resolution.

Less than visible light except up close, but it's pretty clear and easy to interpret.

I'd also like to know how big a range of the spectrum and what um... is the mid range of the frequencies or wavelengths (i can't keep em straight in my head) that the camera views?

I can't say. The wavelength is important to the product and thus proprietary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012