Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, Tir Paladins.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wakshaani
Not *exactly* a moot point now, but, with teh Tir's revolution and upending, the Paladins aren't what they used to be.

Then again, they haven't been done up in 4th ed.

So, how would *you* stat up a Tir Paladin?
fistandantilus4.0
Similar to a ghost, but less stealth, more combat, and lots of magic. Quickened spells and such,
SL James
Novel idea there, magic. Novel.
mfb
wait, Ghosts have magic now?

depends on the group. 'paladin' is a catch-all term, in the Tir; it's not a specific military unit or even collection of units. i've never used paladins, myself, but if i did, i'd probably have them be a group of moderate badasses with high-end equipment, led by a low-skill dumbass who's running around playing MAGIKAL ELFEN SOWRDMAN on his daddy's tab.
Wakshaani
Yeah, there's scads of different "Paladins", ranging from the Royal Guard to the elite paramilitary types to rich kids playing pretend to John the Paladin of Baking.

I was mainly talking about the paramilitary types. Should they be at the level of the Red Samurai or the Ghosts? Lower? Higher?
Ryu
They are all told that they are "special". The special-for-real types get to be ghosts.

That said, equipment can be bought and therefore is top-notch. Money for toys is no issue for elven nobility.
Fortune
Well, most of the real hardcore Paladins were (or still are) sworn into the service of the (former) Princes. That in itself would lead me to believe that they are not too slack. Offhand, I'd rank them at Ghost or Wildcat level, although I think I might pump that a little, depending on the Paladin (and his current mission).
toturi
From the fluff, Paladins do not (usually) operate in groups as in there are no Paladin "units". As such I'd say stat him up instead per the Prime Runner rules at the level suitable to your campaign.
Ryu
I cite "Worlds without End", pg. 184/185.

Paladins are basically the sons and daughters of nobility with ambition but nowhere to go. Those with ability on top of ambition will become special forces, not showcase guards.

A case could be made that they actually a super-secret secret service, but Harlequin would certainly have known that.
Draconis
My paladins look like stick figures, but then I was never really good at drawing.
Oh..you wanted stats. I think mfb has a good take on it. There's a good dose of RL™ there.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (mfb)
by a low-skill dumbass who's running around playing MAGIKAL ELFEN SOWRDMAN on his daddy's tab.

I'm thinking about the first harlequin run now, that guy that was a following Ehran around in the Y.E.T. run. Thinking back, "Paladin" was kind of a catch-all for someone that's supposed to be really good at their job, like the UK's "Sir" (SoNA-TIR). My first post, I'm thinking more about the elite that guard the Prince's/Council/whatver they're called now, since that seemed to be what he was asking about.
Charon
A Paladin the runners might run into would be much like an elite Troubleshooter (As opposed to the bodyguards-type and the useless bored rich-boy type).

He could be anything from a Magician to a Hacker, as appropriate to the situation. He'd just be really good at solving sticky situations on the behalf of his Prince. That means good social abilities on top of his specialty and possibly a team of runner/mercenries on retainer. Indeed, he'd be call upon to solve situations that might have been handled by runners except that in this case the Prince is more interested in loyalty and competence than deniability.
Wakshaani
So, special ops of *some* level seems to shake out, which is what I expected. Just have to decide if they're Red Sams or Ghosts, overall.

'Kay.

Now, what about the more normal Elven Soldier?

What's, say, Bob the Tir Borderguard look like? Firearms 3-ish, Outdoors ... 1? 2? What about sneaky skills, like Infiltration? Perception? Any melee combat skills? How about cyber?

In short, what would teh Mook Sheet look like for a group of, say, six Tir soldiers, should a certain running team who shall remain nameless have to ambush 'em and take their clothes to sneak into Tir lands?
Kyoto Kid
...as mentioned in another thread, I've chosen to avoid messing with the TT until there is more Canon published.

Were it up to me, Paladins ( & maybe even the Ghosts) wouldn't be around anymore since the whole nobility/royalty schtick went down the tubes after the Council was dissolved and replaced by an elected government.

But then that's not here or there...I tried to second guess things like this before & only ended up trashing a good amount of original background material.
Wakshaani
I'm not too sure that teh whole nobility schtick is gone, actually. Remember that they didn't have a rebellion because they hated the system ... they had a rebellion because the right to try to climb higher was taken away.

"What do you *mean* the Ascension Trials are cancelled?! You got yours, now I'm not allowed to get mine?! Hell with that! REVOLUTION!"

The majority were actually content with things like the Royal Court, the Trials, and so forth. When portland was sealed up, in exchange for using Seattle as the port of call, that's when things started going south, but the general populace (Read: Everyone who didn't live in Portland) was okay with it. Once they took away the right to move up in the social order, tho? That's when it all went to Hell.

-- Wak, needs desperately to find his copy of SoNA to review that bit.
mfb
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
So, special ops of *some* level seems to shake out, which is what I expected. Just have to decide if they're Red Sams or Ghosts, overall.

honestly, i don't think i'd go with Red Sams or Ghosts as your basic concept--i'd go with prime runner teams. custom equipment, not issued equipment; emphasis on individuality, ingenuity, and skill, rather than on by-the-numbers teamwork. the discipline and solidarity of spec-ops types doesn't tend to spring up without formal organization--which Paladins don't, as a general rule, have.

i'll add the disclaimer that these reccomendations are not based strictly on canon--though that doesn't mean they're non-canon. most of what i know about Paladins comes from SoNA, and SoNA says that Paladins are an assumed title, not a structured organization. extrapolating from that, most groups of Paladins are not necessarily rigidly-structured.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 8 2006, 12:46 AM)
wait, Ghosts have magic now?

haha. Yeah. Sure.

depends on the group. 'paladin' is a catch-all term, in the Tir; it's not a specific military unit or even collection of units. i've never used paladins, myself, but if i did, i'd probably have them be a group of moderate badasses with high-end equipment, led by a low-skill dumbass who's running around playing MAGIKAL ELFEN SOWRDMAN on his daddy's tab.

Indeed.

Serrin Shamander was a Paladin for Jenna Ni'Fairra, and I wouldn't call him much of a badass. Then again, he was also just a friendly mook for Talon to lead, so I wouldn't put much stock in that.

Before he was a Paladin, though, he was a decent character, bust still not what one would consider a badass.

OTOH, Blackwing is also what one might consider to be a Paladin, and he will wreck your shit.

The power levels vary greatly, but I wouldn't use them for high-end teams. For decent low-level squads like the hunting parties that served Ehran, sure. For crack teams of commando killers? No. Those guys have tended to work alone throughout canon.
Wakshaani
To help on teh general Paladin issue, by the by, I've decided to pull an American and make words mean what I wish. smile.gif

The Passionate

These are teh vast majority of those who would call themselves Paladins. They take up a lifelong interest in a field, be it art, science, a sport, whatever, and focus their life around this. One can be a Passionate Baker, for example, or a Passionate Hurler, just as oen could be a Passionate Painter or Passionate Chemist. It isn't a role to take lightly, as it requires a level of dedication and, let's face it, obsession, that most are neither comfortable with or capable of. These individuals are primarily respected by the overall community, but there are those who snort at such pretentious drek, mutter, "A job's a job," and move on.

The "Paladins

Little more than bored nobles or their bratty spoiled children, the "Paladins" take the name for themselves due to their station, galavanting about and acting like the cock of the walk, but, they're not deserving of the title. After a few years, most get bored with it and devote themselves to some other diversion, but a rare few wind up learning something from the experience and go on to a better life. These "Paladins" ride in expensive vehicles, use expensive toys that they barely care to learn about, and ride around looking for 'action', such as taking advantage of border hoppers, hunting Paracritters, or, rumor has it, having private 'hunts' on their estates ... note the low criminal population of the Tir.

The Paladins

Military Elite Units, the Paladins are the Tir Tairngire version of the Souix Wildcats, a small, elite paramilitary unit sent on vital missions. Highly-trained, with a high level of physical adepts and magicians, rather than cyber-soldiers, these are the special ops forces of the Tir. There are roughly one hundred of these operatives, nearly a fourth as large as the Aztlan Jaguar Guard, despite the massive disparity in the two nations' population, reflecting the high magical percentage of the Tir. These guys are the real hoop-kickers.

The High Paladins

These guys combine being Passionate with Paladin, dedicating themselves to serving one person as a personal guard. The Royal Guard of the High Prince, for example. Probably the rarist type of 'Paladin', and limited in what they do, but very good at what they do as well.
mfb
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
The Paladins

Military Elite Units, the Paladins are the Tir Tairngire version of the Souix Wildcats, a small, elite paramilitary unit sent on vital missions. Highly-trained, with a high level of physical adepts and magicians, rather than cyber-soldiers, these are the special ops forces of the Tir. There are roughly one hundred of these operatives, nearly a fourth as large as the Aztlan Jaguar Guard, despite the massive disparity in the two nations' population, reflecting the high magical percentage of the Tir. These guys are the real hoop-kickers.

these seem kinda redundant they seem. what's the difference between these guys and the Ghosts? now, if you said that certain units of Ghosts were designated as Paladins...

am i bucking canon, with this whole "no Paladin military units" thing? i don't remember seeing anything in SoNA about discrete Paladin units. i'll flip through TNN tonight and try to back up my wild-ass theories.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
The majority were actually content with things like the Royal Court, the Trials, and so forth. When portland was sealed up, in exchange for using Seattle as the port of call, that's when things started going south, but the general populace (Read: Everyone who didn't live in Portland) was okay with it. Once they took away the right to move up in the social order, tho? That's when it all went to Hell.

-- Wak, needs desperately to find his copy of SoNA to review that bit.

...yeah, dis your region's major city. That was really stupid on the council's part. No wonder the TT economy was in the Porta Potty.

I just think that maybe someone with more ties to the region (apologies to the late Nigel F) should have been involved in it's writeup.
SL James
Or someone without an agenda focused on killing everything Findley had created, anyway.

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
The Paladins

these seem kinda redundant they seem. what's the difference between these guys and the Ghosts? now, if you said that certain units of Ghosts were designated as Paladins...

am i bucking canon, with this whole "no Paladin military units" thing? i don't remember seeing anything in SoNA about discrete Paladin units. i'll flip through TNN tonight and try to back up my wild-ass theories.

Well, here's the thing: The Ghosts are listed in SoNA (Ugh...) as a type of Paladin. Remember Critias going ballistic about the ones betraying their Oaths? Those Ghosts (i.e. the magically-active ones, which would explain why none of the SR4 Ghosts are magical) are among the ones who for sure can be considered Paladins because they swore their loyalty and lives to serve the High Prince. Some mundanes would have as well, and so generally speaking they could count as Paladins. However, that goes back to the very broad definition of what a paladin/Paladin is. Members of the Bratach Gheal (the High Prince's guards) is the specific unit most commonly refered to as Paladins because they are a) badasses, and b) dedicated to serving the High Prince against all enemies. The inclusion of the Ghosts as one of the groups of Paladins was, IMO, unnecessary and wrong because it leads to needless confusion and arguments.

Of course, this is SR4. Most of the Ghosts are now very unlikely to be Paladins because, among other things, the fealty they swear to the state (as opposed to the High Prince) is lacking, and most of the people who bought into their service as a lifelong commitment as a paladin-warrior were more than likely to follow Surehand or suffer some other fate, especially the magically-active Ghosts whose Oaths were to the High Prince. I have serious doubts as to the quality and commitment of the post-coup Ghosts who remained behind or joined afterwards. The stats in SR4 are quite telling as to the nature of what the Ghosts have become.

Given the revolutionary nature of the people now in charge, the border patrol and any armed militias which may have existed either won't support the current regime, or will actively oppose it. Likewise, any of the individual paladins serving Princes or princes (or really rich lesser caste-members) are still around, but their activities are doubtfully focused on protecting the state rather than on personal agendas, including agendas which may have some doing such formerly non-paladin activities like leading Black Sun cells.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012