Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sphynx
It's been awhile since a request for House Rules has gone out. Anyone have links, or feel like posting, their House Rules?

Ours are located at: http://shadowrun.i-sphynx.com/HouseRules.htm if you're interested in looking. There is also included there, a link to our House Rule for the BuildPoint System that alot of people had interest in some time ago. wink.gif

Sphynx
mfb
for hard cover, i give +1 armor for every +2 TN. it's simpler than determining whether the shot would have hit without the cover, then determining the barrier rating of the cover and figuring out whether the attack would have penetrated.
Stonecougar
We have a very simple house rule:

If it's good for the drama, go with it.

Half the time, we don't know the given rule for any given situation. We make up what sounds fairest and has the most dramatic flair. I've always envisioned SR as being an action-movie-buff's best game. Watch Blade Runner, Ronin, or any of a score of other SR movies and tell me I'm wrong.

We play the games to have fun, and nothing kills fun more than, at the very moment of highest drama, having an inconvenient rule bring everything crashing down. Rules are guidelines. Rules are meant to be tweaked, bent, and yes, even broken.
Dr Vital
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Ours are located at: http://shadowrun.i-sphynx.com/HouseRules.htm if you're interested in looking. There is also included there, a link to our House Rule for the BuildPoint System that alot of people had interest in some time ago. wink.gif

Interesting color choice... Grey on black?

Anyhow, I love the idea of lowering the Adept Astral Perception cost. Is there a good reason why it's so rididulously high? The wizards that I'm initiating with would also love to know, as they'd really like someone to be able to help them with the inevitable spirits they'll be facing.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Dr Vital)
the Adept Astral Perception cost. Is there a good reason why it's so rididulously high?

I don't think it's that overpriced. You can geas it "only when standing perfectly still" or something to get it down to 1.5 points if you really want to. It offers a lot of advantages, like the automatic ability to assense auras, see spriits and wards, etc.
Dr Vital
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Dr Vital @ Oct 24 2003, 01:49 PM)
the Adept Astral Perception cost.  Is there a good reason why it's so ridiculously high?

I don't think it's that overpriced. You can geas it "only when standing perfectly still" or something to get it down to 1.5 points if you really want to. It offers a lot of advantages, like the automatic ability to assense auras, see spriits and wards, etc.

But those "sensing powers" are exactly the kind of thing an adept can get cheaply in every other case. For 2 points I can get 8 augmented sense abilities, just not astral.

If it provided the ability to travel astrally I'd understand it, but you're talking about the equivalent of 40 Karma...
TinkerGnome
The other sensing powers are much cheaper because they're mainly modifications and enhancement of other senses. Their only real game effect is to cancel out penalties to rolls. Astral perception gives you a whole new sense as well as:
  • The ability to detect magical potential in other people.
  • The ability to assense people.
  • The ability to set up wards.
  • The ability to fight unmaterialized spirits.
Mongoose
Not to mention the ability to get you ass killed by unseen threats that move 3-4 times the speed of your meat body....

That's gotta be worth a lot. smile.gif
Dr Vital
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
The other sensing powers are much cheaper because they're mainly modifications and enhancement of other senses.  Their only real game effect is to cancel out penalties to rolls.  Astral perception gives you a whole new sense as well as:

• The ability to detect magical potential in other people.
  • The ability to assense people.
  • The ability to set up wards.
  • The ability to fight unmaterialized spirits.

Ah.

So while the other powers give you the ability to actually do something, the Astral ability gives you the ability to potentially do something with your other abilities.

I can see how that might be unbalancing compared to say, raising a skill from 0 to 7 points... spin.gif
ialdabaoth
I really like the 'magic build points' system; I've been working on house rules to encorporate it into BeCKS.

In the meantime, here's an alternate Skill Defaulting system I've been advocating for awhile:

SKILL DEFAULTING (pp.84-85, SR3)
Skill defaulting is replaced with the following rule: Each skill gains a ‘base’ number of dice equal to its Link Attribute ¸ 3 (round .33 down; round .66 up). This is the minimum number of dice that may be rolled in a Skill test for that skill, but do not count as actual Skill Levels – thus, they cannot allow Combat Pool to be spent, and do not count against the Karma expense of new Skill Levels. Until a character raises his Skill Level beyond this minimum threshold, the only bonus gained by having the skill is the ability to spend Combat Pool dice to augment the roll. For example, if the character has a Quickness of 6, and a Pistols of 1, he may roll 2 skill dice for all Pistols tests – but may only augment his skill with a single Combat Pool die. If he later raises his Pistols skill to 2, he still rolls 2 dice, but may augment his roll with up to two Combat Pool dice per roll. Skill defaulting is possible regardless of the target number.
Likewise, when defaulting from skill to skill, use half the Skill Rating of the new skill (round down). This does count as actual Skill dice, after a fashion – while it does not affect Karma costs, it does allow the player to allocate Combat Pool dice up to its rating. If the character possesses the Skill being rolled, but wishes to use a higher-rated linked Skill, take the average of the two Skills (round down). If the computed number is still below the minimum (the default Attribute ¸ 3), then the minimum number of dice rolled is computed from the default Attribute, as above. Specializations of the actual Skill being rolled may be used in lieu of the generic Skill, but Specializations of the Skill being defaulted to may not be used – only base Skills are generic enough to lend cross-disciplinary expertise.

Suzie Samurai, with Quickness 7, Submachine Guns(5) / Uzi(cool.gif, and Pistols(1) / Hold-Out(3), gets a total of 3 dice to roll when firing her Ares Predator Heavy Pistol: her Pistols skill(1) + her Submachine Guns skill(5), divided by 2. When firing her Fuchi Ladyfinger hold-out, she gets four dice: her Pistols/Hold-Out(3) + her Submachine Guns(5), divided by 2. She can not use her Submachine Guns/Uzi(cool.gif skill to allow her to roll 5 dice to fire her Ladyfinger; her understanding of the Uzi simply doesn’t translate well.
If she didn’t have the Uzi skill, she could still roll 2 dice for Pistols, since her Quickness(7) ¸ 3 gives her a 2-dice minimum for skills that default to Quickness. However, she could only allocate a maximum of one Combat Pool die, since her actual skill is only 1. She would roll 3 dice (plus up to 3 Combat Pool dice, if desired) in Pistols/Hold-Out; since it’s above her Attribute Default threshold, the threshold does not apply.

TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Dr Vital)
So while the other powers give you the ability to actually do something, the Astral ability gives you the ability to potentially do something with your other abilities.

There's a big distinction between doing something better than normal and being able to do something you normally can't do. Most of the other sense powers let you see/hear/smell better, but don't actually give you any new abilities. Other powers make you a bit faster/stronger/more resistant/skilled, but they don't actually add abilities.

Powers which actually add abilities (as in things you couldn't do before you got them) are:
  • Astral Perception
  • Combat Sense
  • Improved Sense: Direction, Scent, Taste
  • Missile Parry
  • Suspend State
  • Delay Damage
  • Distance Strike
  • Empathic Sense
  • Magic Sense
  • Nerve Strike
  • Quick Draw
  • Quick Strike
  • Temperature Tolerance
  • Traceless Walk
Most powers simply add dice to tests or make you do something that you could already do better. Of 38 powers, only about 14 (less than half) offer any kind of non-standard ability (ie, one that doesn't just make your current ability to do something better). Of those, Astral Perception is the most versitile (since it lets you assense people with your int dice and make wards with your magic, neither of which requires other abilities or skills to use)
Bearclaw
House rule:

A contact from a distant place I give for half price.
If you want a fixer in Lav Vegas and a Bartender in Denver, you get them for 2500 each.
There's exceptions of course. Deckers and such don't lose their usefullness by being distant, and runners and other guys who can and will travel for biz don't get it either. An armorer in NYC is half price. A steet sam in Boston is 5000.
Jpwoo
I have to say that the cost of .5 for astral perception is low. a cost of 1 I could maybe understand in a magic heavy game. I am curious if there are any adepts that don't take astral perception in your game.

Also why did you cut mnemonic enhancers? Not that I disagree I just want to hear your reasoning. I cut monowhips in my world just because I find them distasteful.

Back to the main thread.

I am sure I play lots of house rules I am sure, the most obvious ones come in character creation.

All players get a free armor jacket, tailored how they want it. All guns that players buy in creation come with two free clips. And all players get a zippo lighter. However you cannot buy a zippo in the game world. so you have to take good care of it.

Limit of two pieces of bioware at character creation, or alternately if you have a bioware themed character limit of two pieces of cyber. Anyone taking tech at priority A has to have a damn good background.

Since we don't play lots lowered the cost of skill buying to double current rather than double new. I suppose this could have been balanced by just giving more karma but it has been a rule long enough that it seems right.

Scraped negotiation and interrogation as skills, and handle them with rp. Left in teaching and leadership.

Dr Vital
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Most powers simply add dice to tests or make you do something that you could already do better.  Of 38 powers, only about 14 (less than half) offer any kind of non-standard ability (ie, one that doesn't just make your current ability to do something better).  Of those, Astral Perception is the most versitile (since it lets you assense people with your int dice and make wards with your magic, neither of which requires other abilities or skills to use)

I agree with you.

Given all that, and the relative costs of the other powers, and the cost in karma, what is going to tempt any Adept player to take it at 2pp when the same cost will get them 8 extra dice to roll on their stealth tests or a dozen other powers that will save their skin every single session?

I'd say 1 is in line with what it gives you, especially when you consider that it comes free with any of the other magical classes, and that an Adept suffers as much (or more) than any magic using character if he should try to implement cyber, leaving him limited options outside of magic.

I also think it opens up a useful set of unique Roleplaying possibilities for the GM in a way that many other abilities don't.

Okay, I've made my pitch and I've gotten my (supercool) GM to agree with the proviso that I make it worth his while in roleplaying value.

After that, the rules are the rules...
BitBasher
Given all that, and the relative costs of the other powers, and the cost in karma, what is going to tempt any Adept player to take it at 2pp when the same cost will get them 8 extra dice to roll on their stealth tests or a dozen other powers that will save their skin every single session?
It doesn't break down to numbers that easy. The extra dice doesn't to squat when they could have just assensed the johnson to know he was lying and sending them to their deaths and no intention of paying them. They know the NPC they arew talking to is hostile twards them and may attack when putwardly without percieving he appeared totally calm. Assensing gives MANY benefits that can not be duplicated my other powers period. You can't even make a direct comparison. You can know there are watcher patrolling that area astrally, and there is an alarm ward on that door that door that will alert security. You know that x number of yose guards are astrally active, be sure to kill them first. The intel gained by perception is absolutely insane in its value. It can easily be the difference between a milk run and certain death.
Dr Vital
QUOTE (BitBasher)
You can't even make a direct comparison. You can know there are watcher patrolling that area astrally, and there is an alarm ward on that door that door that will alert security. You know that x number of yose guards are astrally active, be sure to kill them first. The intel gained by perception is absolutely insane in its value.

But again I ask this question: When any mage (even aspected) gets these powers standard, what's is that would tempt an Adept to take them at 2pp?

It can easily be the difference between a milk run and certain death.

You could say the same thing about Maglok skill or Etiquette, but their cost is low enough it's worth it to me to consider adding that skill onto my characte, "just in case". With Astral, unless there are no mages in the party (pretty unlikely) how is it worth my while when Captain Hermetic can not only do it, but leave his body 100 yards away while doing so?

I just don't understand how I can justify that cost as an actual player. In my mind it effectively cuts any adept (who isn't willing to totally commit that character concept in one specific direction) off from the Astral, which I'm sure was not their intention, but it seems to be the logical result

How about this:
Anyone who's played an adept with astral and bought it at the full 2pp cost, please raise your virtual hand.
BitBasher
But again I ask this question: When any mage (even aspected) gets these powers standard, what's is that would tempt an Adept to take them at 2pp?
Because the adept is not a mage, he is an adept. If the character concept involves percieving so he can do those things then he will pay the points. People have payed those points numerous times in my game. It could be a character development thing, or in other cases it was because the character didn't want to rely on the mage for his information. Just like in the real world, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

You could say the same thing about Maglok skill or Etiquette, but their cost is low enough it's worth it to me to consider adding that skill onto my characte, "just in case". With Astral, unless there are no mages in the party (pretty unlikely) how is it worth my while when Captain Hermetic can not only do it, but leave his body 100 yards away while doing so?
Maglock and etiquitte skills can be bought by anyone, astral perception can not. because it's a rare skill that makes it valuable. My current game has no mages in the party, but the player than made the adept couldn't be sure of that when he picked out his powers. The mage be playing a character that is not 100% dependable, or it may be simply be because he wanted to. Things do not always have to be picked because of their numerical superiority. By that token I have had games where there was a mage in the party but players still took astral perception because they wanted to have control over an aspect of their engagements without having to rely on someone else.

How about this:
Anyone who's played an adept with astral and bought it at the full 2pp cost, please raise your virtual hand.
I have had it happen I believe 5 or so times in my games. maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 adepts do it.

The character you make and who he is, is at least as important as the number crunching. sometimes it just makes sense for the character. If that's the case then the price is right. Not picking somehting that makes sense for the character because of a "but I could have" scenario is sacrificing role playing for roll playing, and my players don't always do that. We make characters that are diverse and flawed people, actually like real people, and not like comic book heroes and number crunched sheets of stats.

If they think that not having those extra dice will cause them problems completing a job, then they turn down that job. Pretty easy.
Bira
Astral Perception also allows an adept to engage in astral combat with spirits and such, which is great for characters that don't expect the mage to be there all the time.

I don't think it's too expensive, personally. Sure, other magicians get astral perception for free, but the whole point of having adepts is that they're different from run-of-the-mill Awakened characters (tough people may have forgotten that with all these priority A spellcasting adepts roaming around). Also, other magical characters don't get to throw ungodly amounts of dice for their chosen specialty skills, so I think it evens out.

I haven't played an adept with Astral Perception bought at full cost, but that's because I used to be the GM. I've made plenty of them, tough.
TinkerGnome
Unfortunately, magic is one of those things where you got a lot of apples and a lot of oranges and a lot of blue apples and a lot of pears. The cost of astral perception is 33% or 25% (with voluntary geasa) of the adept's total power points. It is a bit harsh, but that is, in my opinion, to restrict it to adepts who really need/want it. At 2 points, it's only taken by those adepts who really want/need it. At a lower cost, it would start becoming commonplace among adepts. It's all in whether or not you want that to be the case.

The general idea seems to be that most adepts simply aren't in tune with astral space enough to see into it. If your adepts are more mystical, then lowering the cost of astral perception (and the powers which are like weaker versions of it, like empathic sense) makes sense. The way the "standard" game world works seems to indicate that it's not all that common among adepts.

Of course, being able to play "geek the mage" with astral perception and Improved Ability (something that kills people) +6 is just nasty. Particularly when your foes try to go to pains to make all of the guards look the same (making picking out the mage difficult).
Senchae
I play an adept who paid 2 points for perception. I can't imagine not being able to assense, though I wouldn't have paid 2 points just for that ability.
But ours is such a magic heavy game I would have been at a disadvantage without astral perception.
RedmondLarry
Link to Our Team's House Rules

And on a similar note, rules we have accidentally played wrong and are working to correct:

Link to Rule Notes
BitBasher
Particularly when your foes try to go to pains to make all of the guards look the same (making picking out the mage difficult).
Which I definitely do, down to making them carry the same weapons and same armor in most competent security forces. You don't take your rare and valuable personnel and draw bullseyes on them. Having a sec mage that LOOKS like a sec mage is pretty damn stupid, and shortens his lifespan dramtically. This works great because its not easy (damn hard) to tell which sec guard just cast a spell, especially when his friends are shooting at you.
Dr Vital
Okay. I stand convinced and the rule is allowed to remain as it is!

So says I! wink.gif

That said I'm glad that the GM is there to bend the rules to fit the situation, since I'm going to be able toget Astral perception and hang out with that new spirit contact I just got.

And of course, kill hidden mage guards on sight!
TinkerGnome
I like the rules notes, OurTeam. However, that first one on background skills is an optional rule.
RedmondLarry
Thanks TinkerGnome. I'll update that.

By the way, the page number decimal points refer to where on the page the rule occurs. The left column is numbered, for example, from 90.0 in the top left corner through 90.4 in the bottom left. The right column would be 90.5 (top right corner) through 90.9 (bottom right). I've been doing this for years, and it is very helpful.
ialdabaoth
Another useful House Rule:

RULE OF SIX (p.38, SR3)
In addition to the standard Rule of Six, an additional success is added to the target number for every 10 levels that each die beats the target number. Thus, if a character rolls 7 dice against a TN of 3, and achieves 1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 13, 25, he receives eight successes – one for each 4, one for the 5, two for the 13 (13 – 3 is 10), and three for the 25 (25 – 3 is 22). If the 25 had instead been a 33, it would have been worth four successes (33 – 3 is 30). This solves two problems – one, it is now possible (although unlikely) for a character to achieve more successes than he has dice pool, and two, a TN of 7, 13, 19 and so on are no longer statistically equivalent to a TN of 6, 12, or 18, since the probability of getting additional successes is lowered.
Likewise, target numbers below 2 are now possible – a 1 is still a failure, but the lowered TN determines the threshold at which extra successes are counted. Thus, at a TN of 2, a die roll of 2-11 is one success, 12-21 is two successes, 22-31 is three successes, and so on. At a TN of 1, these thresholds are 2-10, 11-20, 21-30 and so on; at a TN of 0, these thresholds are 2-9, 10-19, 20-29; at a TN of –1 they are 2-8, 9-18, 19-28; and at a TN of –6 they are 2-3, 4-13, and 14-23. With target numbers lower than –7, double or even triple successes are automatic.
mfb
house rules for the merc game i'm running.
spotlite
we have some changes to the karma system. Everything works as it does in the books except:

You can buy successes with good karma not Karma Pool, providing you get at least one on the test, up to the number of dice on the main skill/attribute rolled, not including pools. Yes, this means the characters are much more survivable and can do far more spectacular feats - but if they spend them, thats less for character advancement and its a tricky line to walk. And as I always say - Shadowrun is everyone's favorite action movie. If the main characters keep getting killed or screwing up its just not cool...

Also, if you want to re-roll failures more than once, it doesn't just increase incrementally as it does in the book, it doubles each time. This nicely balances out the good karma rule above in my experience. We've been playing it this way since before Sr3, and we found it works. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it works for us!

Oh, and we have Deadlier Over-Damage, Extra Strength Remedy: in addition to the rule about attacks with a greater power than 1.5xBody, we also have that if the power of the attack causes deadly damage and was greater than 2xBody, it's instant death, only Hand of God rolls will save you, assuming you have it left. So beleive you me, they DO die every now and again!

And I think that's it for major changes. smokin.gif

spotlite
D'OH! I forgot the most major change - all characters get +1KP per 10 GK as per standard rules for humans, up to reaching 5KP, at which point EVERYone earns it at 1 per twenty. Then it goes to one per thirty above 10KP. If they drop below either of these thresholds by burning pool, they go back to the lower rate.

Lets everyone advance at the same rate because i really didn't like the SR3 way of doing things with regard the different races - though I do understand why they did. It also keeps the pools low enough that re-rolls don't take over the game, which keeps all the characters a bit more in the non-superhuman range a bit longer so low level stuff can still be challenging.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Jpwoo)
I have to say that the cost of .5 for astral perception is low. a cost of 1 I could maybe understand in a magic heavy game. I am curious if there are any adepts that don't take astral perception in your game.

Also why did you cut mnemonic enhancers? Not that I disagree I just want to hear your reasoning. I cut monowhips in my world just because I find them distasteful.

Actually, most do NOT take the Perception, despite it being 0.5. We didn't do it due to game balance, nor any of the other factors which have been suggested. We as a House just thought 2 points was way to expensive, so lowered it. It just seemed wrong that the closest thing to a DualNatured creature in the human race (ruled before the SURGE rules) had to spend that much for Perception. We originally Ruled it at 0.25 by just calling it an enhancement of a Sense, but decided that was too little. Personally, I'm ok with it at 1.0, but double any other sense just made sense.

As for the ME, we removed them because you were stupid NOT to have one. In games where you don't go past 50 karma I suppose it makes sense, but imagine one of our 200karma characters with one of those. It really is insane.

Sphynx
spotlite
Had plenty of Physads with astral perception in my game. Never found 2 points that restricting except in the case of one guy who picked a physical mage, obviously hoping he'd be able to munch out. Bit of a shock when he found he really couldn't without vast quantities of karma. The character spent 4 points on magical power and then bought astral perception with the other 2. He's since initiated twice just so he can apply centering to his unarmed combat and behave a little like a physad once in a while!

But apart from this one failed attempt at munchkinism, I've seen five or six physads in our game with the power and yeah its expensive, but not too expensive. Admittedly, very few adepts buy it except at character gen (because in my experience players just can't wait to improve their powers. If they just spent 20-odd karma initiating I think its genetically bred into them that they spend it immediately cos they hate walking round with that extra point of magic and little else to show for it!), but buy it they do.

When you look at the cost of it and the number of things it lets you do I think its worth two. The other improved senses only reduce target numbers (except sound filters which add extra dice), they don't give the character an ability shared by only 1% or less of the population (that stat i think is from Awakenings, possibly MITS, in the background which states that less that one in a hundred people have magical ability, and only 1 in a hundred of THEM is a full mage. So 99% of Awakened types are what used to be called adepts of one type - sorcerors, conjurors, physads, astral adepts, etc). Giving physads astral perception cheaper puts them on a level with their Awakened peers, but still gives them a massive advantage compared to the rest of metahumanity, and I think that's why its on the expensive side. Considering that physads only take drain on one ability I can think of, they get off easy compared to their Awakened counterparts, so i don't think making it more expensive to bring areas where they lack up to that level should be that cheap.

If it works in your game though, have what you like! I might introduce a limited version which is more 'astral sight' than full 'astral perception'. It'll have all the drawbacks (dual natured etc) but you'll only be able to perceive, not set up wards, do Cleansing and so forth. Astral combat would work as normal though. Yeah, I kinda like that. They can have that version for 1 point, and the full version at 2. Choices, choices...
Sphynx
Well, considering you could effectively have Astral Perception for 0 points via Surge (spend 10 points to Surge and gain 10 points for being Dual Natured, hardly a negative for most Adepts who specialize in combat anyhows), I think 2 points is way too much. But I don't play an Adept, and when I did, I didn't buy Perception, I bought 6 levels of Improved Ability (whip) for my nunchaku's with a Talisman Geasa, 6 levels of Improved Ability Stealth and Athletics, and TracelessWalk/Balance Augmentation. Never had room or concern for Astral Perception, and my thinking had nothing to do with the points actually, it was just un-needed as it's as much a flaw as an edge.

You honestly think most Adepts are wanting to Assense, or setup Wards? Nah, the Adept that takes Perception, 9 out of 10 times, is creating a Spirit Warrior type and it's the only way to fight an astral being. Of course, if a spirit wants to fight me without Astral Perception, it has to materialize and I still kick it's ass.

No, AP isn't worth 2 points at all.

Sphynx
John Campbell
QUOTE (Sphynx)
As for the ME, we removed them because you were stupid NOT to have one.

We've had only one ME in all the games I've been in, I think. I guess all the people I play with are just stupid because they design characters based on, well, character rather than picking what provides the most game benefits.
Sphynx
Heh, don't think I was calling other people stupid there boss, it was just stupid not to have one. I mean, hell, take ANY skill from 0 to 3 for 3 ( vs 8 ) karma. And don't exploit the elitist 'character' arguement to explain why not to have something that gives you near photgraphic memory and makes it more than twice as easy to learn skills. There's no character concept (other than the anti-ware concept) that would not want to have both of those potentials. Never once heard of a character concept which included a "I just wanna be a slow learner with a bad memory". It fits into any concept imaginable, and at 0.6 BI, there's not a character out there that wouldn't want it once they see the rules for it.

Sphynx
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Well, considering you could effectively have Astral Perception for 0 points via Surge (spend 10 points to Surge and gain 10 points for being Dual Natured, hardly a negative for most Adepts who specialize in combat anyhows), I think 2 points is way too much.

Two things: first, I'm pretty sure choosing your own SURGE effects only costs 5 points. Secondly, and more importantly, I am sure that the SURGE flaw Dual Natured doesn't give you astral perception. You're vulnerable, and you don't get to see this new world that can kill you.
It's a horribly painful flaw.

~J
Sphynx
You're right on the Surge thing, I just remember it was perfectly offset by Dual Natured and forgot that DN was variable dependant on Awakened. So it's spend-5, gain+5 instead of -10/10.

You're wrong on the Astral Perception though, as the book says, anyone who is Dual Natured can even start learning to Aura Read.

Sphynx
spotlite
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Oct 27 2003, 08:42 AM)
You honestly think most Adepts are wanting to Assense, or setup Wards?  Nah, the Adept that takes Perception, 9 out of 10 times, is creating a Spirit Warrior type and it's the only way to fight an astral being

Your call, as always. But in my games the adepts with the power pitch in and help with the ward setting. You don't even need to be of the same tradition, iirc. And they get used as scouts, where being able to see anything you can is a must-have.

I beleive they can also learn cleansing, so that means they can help clean up the crime scene afterwards.

All these extra abilities in a team is useful, no matter who has it. Lots, if not most characters have a drive skill in SOMEthing, right? Even though the team might have a rigger and vehicle to do it for them. Same thing with the power, imho, which as always, is subject to derision and argument!

Just as an aside, in a recent ruling by a fellow GM here at my table - a ruling that i'm going to take issue with next time I see him, by the way - Being dual natured kicks ass for weapon foci! He thinks that you add charisma to the overall damage, because according to the astral combat damage table a weapon foci uses weapon's base damage (i.e Strength based damage) PLUS charisma. Accoring to the weapon foci rules it says use Chr in PLACE of Str for astral combat.

I'm going to get a group consensus on what they think (and your comments are all welcome too) cos I'd say that fully written rules override a simple table summary.
ialdabaoth
yeah, he's a nutbag. You use Str for damage if you're dual, and Chr if you're projecting. Still, dual nature kicks ASS for adepts, who can buy up Improved Attribute: Strength and get a Strength of 15 as a human.
Kurukami
There is, of course, the unusual alternative for physads of taking magic as their first priority, becoming magician-adepts, and getting all the benefits of astral perception plus spellcasting and conjuring for a minimum cost of 1 power point. I'd probably take 2 points in it, just to be on the safe side if I got hit with deadly damage, but...
Zazen
QUOTE (Sphynx)
there's not a character out there that wouldn't want it once they see the rules for it.

But that's just it, they don't see the rules for it. What they see are guys like Kevin Trudeau doing stupid memory games which may or may not be applicable in the real world. They might also see shadowtalk about the brutal headaches they give you after a concussion. They don't see the little karma-meter in their head go down more slowly when they train at the firing range.

Have you spent time learning memory enhancement techniques? If not, then would you consider "I just wanna be a slow learner with a bad memory" to be part of your personal philosophy? nyahnyah.gif
ialdabaoth
I thought they couldn't do conjuring, only sorcery?
Zazen
They can use both, but they don't get astral perception for free. They have to buy it for 2 power points like every other adept.
ialdabaoth
I thought that was changed in SR3? And how can they cast if they can't perceive?
tisoz
If they perceive while casting, it would raise the TN by 2. You no longer sinchronize auras, or whatever to cast. They no longer mention auras extending beyond armor, etc..
BitBasher
If they perceive while casting, it would raise the TN by 2
er no. percieving adds +2 to any purely mundane tasks.
ialdabaoth
Wow. That kinda sucks. That was what I liked most about SR1/2 - how detailed and consistent the magic was.
tisoz
QUOTE (BitBasher)
If they perceive while casting, it would raise the TN by 2
er no. percieving adds +2 to any purely mundane tasks.

You're correct, but spellcasting can be done entirely on the physical plane. You don't need to astrally perceive to use sorcery.

edit: we played it raised the TN when on the phsical plane with target on the phsical plane, like an invisible target or a target where visibility mods were higher than 2 but overcome by astral perception. My magical character just had things get easier for him. smile.gif
BitBasher
Wow. That kinda sucks. That was what I liked most about SR1/2 - how detailed and consistent the magic was.
That's the way 2nd edition worked too biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
I have two adept characters playing my game out of two characters. One purchased astral perception in game, for 2 points and has never regretted it.

The ability to spot Bug spirits and mages alone...
mfb
i may eventually pick up astral perception, but there are more important things my adept needs. when he started out, i spend 5 points on Imp Reflexes and a point on senses; for all intents and purposes, he's a street sam without cyber. i grabbed killing hands with my first 20 karma, then initiated three times and picked up pain resistance each time. my next purchase will be a custom power that gives me -1 to dodge tests for 2 power points; after that, i'll probably pick up another point's worth of senses. then, if something else hasn't caught my eye, i might get astral percep. or maybe not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012