Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So just 'where' is the default setting?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cold-Dragon
I always hear Seattle. Seattle this, Seattle this, don't drink the Seattle water, etc, but just where exactly is this version of Seattle? When I looked it up, it was in Salish Sidhe Council (at least, that's the relative area, over on the left side of the map).

Isn't that one of those Elven concentrated sort of places?

I suck at Geography and whatnot, but I just wasn't expecting Seattle to be, well, there.

Anyone have a basic summary of enlightment that can clear my head?
Garrowolf
um.... have you read the setting yet?
Fortune
Seattle is situated in the northwest corner of (current) mainland USA in the present state of Washington (not DC ... that's the other coast wink.gif).

To the south is Oregon, which is where Portland is. Basically think of the entire state of Oregon, and about half of northern California below it as what will become Tir Tairngire (the funny elven place).

Surrounding Seattle are a bunch of mountains. Figure that anything on the seaward (western) side of the mountains is Seattle, and anything further inland is NAN (Injun) country.

While Seattle is seperated from the rest of the UCAS, it is still an essential part of that nation, and troops are stationed in nearby Fort Lewis for any eventuality.

Ask more specific questions, and we'll help more. smile.gif
Draconis
Oh by the way I would say Seattle is not the default setting anymore. Hell I haven't been in Seattle since 2nd edition. These days you can set the game in whatever city you want.
Ben
A concise, yet accurate description of every borough of Seattle (2070) would be nice (not necessarily Downtown or Pullayup, since they're pretty obvious, but what about Tacoma or Everett?)
Fortune
Hell no! Hamburg has more written about it than anything, especially in SR4, but I just can't read it. frown.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Ben)
A concise, yet accurate description of every borough of Seattle (2070) would be nice (not necessarily Downtown or Pullayup, since they're pretty obvious, but what about Tacoma or Everett?)

Yes it would be. Unfortunately, it won't be coming from me.
Cold-Dragon
Apparently Seattle is just popular to use in the book then.

So...Seattle is actually surrounded by rugged terrain further out??? So it's not part of Salish per se, but happens to be in that area? That would explain a little, I think.

As I said before, not a geography person. I kinda like having a basic concept setting for a place. Since Seattle is just about what I always read in most examples, I just stuck with that. Mountains would certainly explain the extra little black border around the dot though.

I guess I can wing stuff around there for now.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)

Well, Seattle is one of the main cities that the sourcebooks concentrate on. There is a new (but not very complete) write up on Seattle circa 2070 in Runners Havens, and you can pick up the old Seattle Sourcebook (very good), and New Seattle (middling) for even more flavor.

Your best bet is to pop on to one on the map web sites like Google Maps or the like, or a satelite site like Google Earth, and check the place out for yourself. You'll get a better feel of it that way.
Garrowolf
did the developers live there or something?
Cold-Dragon
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Nov 9 2006, 03:48 PM)

Well, Seattle is one of the main cities that the sourcebooks concentrate on. There is a new (but not very complete) write up on Seattle circa 2070 in Runners Havens, and you can pick up the old Seattle Sourcebook (very good), and New Seattle (middling) for even more flavor.

Your best bet is to pop on to one on the map web sites like Google Maps or the like, or a satelite site like Google Earth, and check the place out for yourself. You'll get a better feel of it that way.

Now that is a good idea. That'll help me mock up a few maps anyways.. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Nov 9 2006, 04:31 PM)

Nope. FASA was originally located in Chicago. In fact, their office was near the (in-game) site of the Cermak Blast. wink.gif
ChicagosFinest
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 9 2006, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Nov 9 2006, 04:31 PM)

Nope. FASA was originally located in Chicago. In fact, their office was near the (in-game) site of the Cermak Blast. wink.gif

Where is that (IE: Address) I'm going to check it out this weekend.

FanPro is also located in Chicago and to my surprise it's right down the street from me check it FanPro LLC
Fortune
I used to have the exact address, but unfortunately time has eaten into my memory banks. frown.gif

Adam will know for sure though (they're his piccies! wink.gif).
ChicagosFinest
Right now Im using Google earth to map out CZ landmarks for a campain I'll hopefully get to run soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012