Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun dice!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
whitezero
im sure youve all seen the sick dice on the shadowrun wikipedia entry...can ANYONE tell me where i can get some of these babies!
PenAgain
I believe they are uber-rare and occassionally found floating through the (mostly German) aftermarket.

The sad thing is, when I have seen them pop up on eBay and the like, they go for so much individually... it's not like one or two or ten would be enough!

--PenAgain
Bring back the dice, FanPro!
Frag-o Delux
Previous discussion.
Grinder
A lot of german gamers I know bought them five or six years ago. Me too, bought 12 of them.
ronin3338
Try here:

Custom Dice

Not cheap, but I've considered it myself...
hyzmarca
I'm somewhat tickled by the fact that they sell 1-sided dice.
whitezero
i found a few on german e-bay sent some messages and hopefully mine fruends in dueschland can help me out...and maybe teach me how to spell in german...
MYST1C
QUOTE (whitezero)
mine fruends in dueschland

Meine Freunde in Deutschland
Grinder
Ach, deine Freunde... biggrin.gif
Firewall
QUOTE (ronin3338)
Custom Dice

So, we just need to get enough of us together and put in a massive bulk-order...
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Firewall)
QUOTE (ronin3338 @ Nov 10 2006, 01:40 AM)
Custom Dice

So, we just need to get enough of us together and put in a massive bulk-order...

And permission from Wizkids to use their property.
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'm somewhat tickled by the fact that they sell 1-sided dice.

They list the option but there's not a link. frown.gif
whitezero
who ould be interested in putting in a big bulk order?
nezumi
Me, but it would depend on the final price.

The question will be whether we'd go with Wizkid's permission or not. I tried contacting them three times (and I believe at two different addresses) in regards to something else, using my personal address and an official government address, and they never got back to me. So if you do not get their permission, would you go with it anyway?
Kagetenshi
I contacted them with a question about a different use, but their policy seems to clearly forbid this. Of course, if you hear differently from them… but I certainly wouldn't let silence indicate consent.

~J
ronin3338
Does it have to be the "S" logo?

Why not the cattle skull, since they don't use it anymore...

Or maybe the DS logo... on the 1 side, of course biggrin.gif
Frag-o Delux
The cattle skull is still their property. Using it or not.
whitezero
would it be a problem if we werent selling the dice? i plan on using them purely for my own gaming...
Kagetenshi
You aren't, but Chessex would be.

If you're thinking of making the dice yourself, of course, you're home free.

~J, not a lawyer, not dispensing legal advice
Frag-o Delux
Im not a lawyer either, so what I say would just be me pulling it out of my ass. But I have to agree with Kage. Cheesex doesnt know what your planning on doing, and using a trademarked logo for them without permission of the trademark holder would be a legal issue. They would be making money off someone elses propety. Even if you never sold one. But whos to say someone in this collective doesnt say hey, I dont play SR anymore, Ill just pop them on ebay and make a buck.

With chessex doing all the work you could make a fair amount of money off them if there is a big market for them. 100 for $60, break them down to 10 packs for $15 a piece, youd have almost $90 in profit.

EDIT: And being in the game industry I have a feeling someone in Chessex will know the SR logos. So I dont think youll be able to dupe them into it by just not mentioning what you are planning on doing. Who knows, maybe FASA/Wizkids (who ever made the first batch) used Chessex the first time.
mintcar
I made myself a set of custom SR4 dice a while ago. Here's a pic. I got pretty cheap blank dice from some local company in Sweden who sells teaching supplies, then I used waterproof markers on them and sprayed them with fixative. Pretty neat as it speeds up rolls in SR4 tremendously having just three symbols to keep track of (and only two anytime you're not using Edge).
Brahm
How long have you being using them? Have you noticed any wear? What's the name of the fixative you used?

I made these:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58097803@N00/...57594212144118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58097803@N00/...57594212144118/

I could add extras fairly quick now that I have it worked out, but the dremeling took some time to set up. However they have being holding up rock solid under months of use, absolutely no sign of wear. Even the one with the really wide groves, which I had worried might experience chipping as dice corners poked into that grove.

Either way though I agree they are very, very fast for determining what you've rolled. I also find my '/' for a normal hit and 'X' for an exploding one work really fast for Edge. It is hard to tell from your picture, but I wonder if I might have a little more trouble picking out the black circles? How have you found that? Would you prefer a little lighter green to help out with that?

Oh, and in retrospect I likely wouldn't add the little pip for 2's for any new dice I made. I don't think I've ever, in a year of play, seen that double speed Extended Test rule used.
mintcar
I've used them very sparsely, as we play very rarely nowadays. I think that they'll propably have a bit shorter lifespan then your dice, as I've not etched the symbols out (I don't think I could have made close to a hundred if I did). But they are holding up pretty good. The only blemishes so far is from the newspaper I had em on when I sprayed them. If you look closely you can see the varnish wearing off in the edges. So far the symbols are entirely intact though. I use artist's varnish of the sturdier type, not just regular fixative. The black edge is very easy to make out, by the way.
emo samurai
Personally, I love Chinese dice.
KarmaInferno
I've seen one guy take dark blue dice with white pips, and just color the pips. Red for the 1, bright green on the 6, and dark blue (matching the color of the die) on 2-4.

If you really wanted to get custom dice, you could do it without any SR logos. Maybe just have text sides like "HIT", "MISS", "BOTCH", and maybe a explody star symbol for sixes.

I have any number of dice like this from various other games. I should check them for relevance, and use them.

Do the people using this system find it really speeds things up, enough to get over not seeing numbers?
mintcar
Yeah, I think it makes all the difference honestly. When rolling up to 20 dice at the same time you can still see the approximate result instantly even before you start counting. And when you pick out the hits and count them, you litteraly can't fail to notice one no matter how many dice you rolled.

This is with my dice that has half of the sides blank. The big gain is that blank sides sort of blends away and you can more easily see the results that matters.
Brahm
QUOTE (mintcar @ Nov 14 2006, 04:09 PM)
This is with my dice that has half of the sides blank. The big gain is that blank sides sort of blends away and you can more easily see the results that matters.

Roger that! You see only what is important. The difference in time spent is huge, and what's more it can be easily read from the other end of the table. Particularly handy if you GM like I tend to do, rolling in front of the players.

Which is why if I was doing it again I'd likely try it leaving out the tiny pip for the 2's. That pip is purposely really small so it melts into the background, but it still takes a bit of practice to ignore it. Plus it seems it never gets used. Well I guess I've used it a few times, but that was only when I was using a die in the role of a traditional six-sider. You can designate which blank side is the 3 and which is the 4 by relative location to the other sides and then roll to get a 1-6 result.

The biggest chunk of time for doing the etching with the dremel is checking the balance of the dice with a number of rolls. But by doing that test rolling of around 200 or so rolls per die I have more even odds on each individual die than factory dice. If you don't care bout that you'd be able to etch a 100 dice in a few hours, and finish all the painting by the end of a lazy Sunday.
Fortune
If you haven't painted/etched in the 'two', you can still use those dice (albeit in a much slower manner) in rushed-extended tests. The 'two' should be on the opposite side of the dice to the 'five', so you would have to check every 'blank' dice to see if your 'five' side was facing down. wink.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012