Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you play Shadowrun Clix?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ronin3338
So, I think that it would be workable.

Shadowrun is d6 anyway.
You'd have to really streamline the rules, but it wouldn't be worse than, say, a first person shooter... sarcastic.gif
It'd be neat to have minis that are urban and magical, especially for metahumans.

What do you think?
Fortune
Fuck all people played it the first time around (as DMZ), or the second (Duels). I don't see it doing much better a third time.
ronin3338
DMZ was marketed badly, and added too many unnecessary complications.
Duels looked good, but it's too hard to play with "minis" that are that big.

I think Clix would manage better than either, but I may be letting my hopes cloud my reality.
Outrunner
I personally wouldn't play it, but I would use the mini's for the SR game I'm in, and occasionally run.
eidolon
I voted "No, not interested at all," but only for lack of a negative response with much more cursing in it.
jervinator
Clik was the deathknell for BT and I would like to keep that from happening to SR... again.
Collectible games depend more on one's wallet than their brain. Duels was usually won by the guy who had the luck to find a Troll Mage and the fundage to buy all of the other figures to collect all of the gear. Those of us who pay our own rent can't compete with that.

That said, there is a slim chance I might pick up one or two figures for use as minis for the RPG.
PlatonicPimp
I wouldn't even buy the figs for gaming. The shadowrun mini sculpts I've seen (the old ral parthas) have been real bad, and plastic minis are usually worse in quality.
Critias
It's too bad that "No, not interested at all" is the harshest choice available to us.
Mal-2
If The minis were nice looking, I'd buy a fair number for use in our table top games. I've bought a couple of hundred dollars of D&D Miniatures over the last couple years just for use in our tabletop D&D games, and would probably do the same for SR minis.
eidolon
For those of you interested in minis, there are tons of great sci-fi lines out there that would work great for SR. For example, Void minis can usually be picked up pretty cheap in discount bins, because the original maker went under/quit making them/whatever it was that happend. And they're awesome. (Not all the factions will work out, but at least two of them have all kinds of SRnny minis in them.)

If you're further interested, consider going to www.theminiaturespage.com and asking around. They should be able to tell you about far more lines that I'll remember right now.
Fortune
Linkage. smile.gif

Really kinda slack for an Admin-type person. wink.gif biggrin.gif
ChicagosFinest
Keep SR table top. Table top's are fun and bring people together in the confined private spaces of their house away from their girlfirneds, fiancee's, and wifees (unless they play).
OneTrikPony
Damn, I thought you were talking about the Duels game, change my vote to Yes/yes from Yes/no

I'd still buy Duals figures the ones I have are awesome.
James McMurray
If the minis were sized so their bases would fit in a 1" square like the D&D minis are I'd buy them for use in the RPG.
eidolon
QUOTE (Fortune)
Linkage. smile.gif

Really kinda slack for an Admin-type person. wink.gif biggrin.gif

That's 2, Fortune, that's 2. wink.gif

Actually, I'm just really, really used to sites that auto-convert anything in www.[].com to a link.
lorechaser
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 10 2006, 11:14 AM)
Keep SR table top.  Table top's are fun and bring people together in the confined private spaces of their house away from their girlfirneds, fiancee's, and wifees (unless they play).

I'm not entirely sure keeping people away from their SOs (you do know that there are women that have boyfriends, fiancess and husbands, too?) is a way to promote gaming....

I find that my wife is far more likely to be sympathetic to my gaming needs if I'm still around the house, and able to answer questions, hold the baby, etc than if I want to disappear for a night or two a week....

But I veer off topic. wink.gif

I'd buy them. I also spent nearly $400 on DnD Minis, though. Course, I sold my collection for $650 in the end.

I find that using Heroquest figures is somewhat useful too. I like Graag (?) the Ogre for a troll, the Microcorp figures for Sam/Johnsons, and some of the old west folks (I could be so very off on the names).

And from that site:

http://theminiaturespage.com/lib/index.mv?...1620&item=32016

That is *so* my next character.
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
That's 2, Fortune, that's 2.

How high do I get to make you count? biggrin.gif

Seriously though, it's cool. I'm mostly just bored ... which is I guess also why I pointlessly respond to the SPAM, even knowing full well you'll kill the thread eventually. wink.gif
ronin3338
QUOTE (eidolon)
For those of you interested in minis, there are tons of great sci-fi lines out there that would work great for SR. For example, Void minis can usually be picked up pretty cheap in discount bins, because the original maker went under/quit making them/whatever it was that happend.

Those are great, and Urban War (?) was some awesome ones as well, but metal minis are a lot more expensive, and I don't want to have to paint them for all my friends who can't/won't.

Also, it's really hard to find a dwarf rigger, or an troll street sam. I was hoping that enough people would like the idea of inexpensive, decent, pre-painted minis that could be used to play a "boardgame" as well as be used in the RPG.

From the poll results, I'm not seeing the response I had hoped for.
Mistwalker
I'd buy the minis, but not play the click game. Would use them for RPG.
I have some of the D&D minitures, mostly so that the fumble fingered players don't destroy the metal figs that I spent hours painting.
Besides, some are really nice, like the Gargantuan+ Red Dragon.
Jaid
well, mainly i'm just not interested in investing into minis for game purposes. someone above said they blew 400 dollars on minis, and i'm willing to bet that he's met plenty of people who have spent way more on it.

that being said, i would consider buying minis given a few assumptions:

1) i want to know what it is that i'm buying. if i decide i want to invest in hellhounds, i don't want to end up with a dryad... i want a fragging hellhound.

2) it would have to be pre-painted. i lack the skill, and the patience, and the interest, to paint minis.

3) it would have to be pretty cheap.

so, those being said, basically here's about the closest thing i could see myself coming to spending money on a miniatures based game: they would have to be cardstock (or possibly even plastic, i suppose) cutouts. possibly with two different facings on them, and a plastic base would go well with that.

at that point, i would consider buying the game. it would certainly eliminate the "i got a better army because of luck, therefore i win" problem, and would certainly help with the "i have more money to buy enough packs that i got what i wanted, therefore i win" problem as well. of course, the drawback to this is that it likely would not make as much money, and therefore they would have to sell even more of them.

in any event, it might even look kinda cool... for example, to see what can be done with paper minis: http://melkot.com/mechanics/sj-ships.html.

now of course, those are ships for spelljammer, not people... but the point is, you can get some pretty nice looking 'figures' out of it, they give you a good feel for what the object looks like, and they are cheap. and require minimal skill to assemble.

plus, it could be available in .PDF format, which seems about where the system is going. (of course, if you plan to make the majority of your money on selling the minis, you'd probably have to go with the more expensive plastic cutouts... but if you're just interested in selling the sourcebooks, that's the best method for minis imo).
ronin3338
Check out the stuff from Microtactix if you want paper minis.

They're pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

SPARKS also has minis as fonts, so you can type up an army of whatever, and they don't look 1/2 bad.
nezumi
I'd consider it if the figures were good enough and the price low enough. However since, short of plastic figures, I really have never seen anything cheap enough for my gaming table, I probably wouldn't get into it.
doophie
I would absolutely buy SR figures. I would actually prefer them to be just like the D+D plastic mini's that can easily be used for the RPG. We use those mini's now. Frankly, I get a little tired of all my toxic shamans looking like Darth Vadar. I'd really drop some cash into SR mini's like that.
Jaid
well, the link i posted actually included some paper minis that were made by a non-professional... and they looked pretty much as good as the professional ones.

so, all we have to do is find someone to make paper minis for us, free of charge =P

(on a side note, if you can get a copy of the game that came out with fallout:tactics, it has a few paper minis in it)

[edit] for your reference, it was called fallout warfare. i believe it may actually be available online for legitimate free download, but am not 100% sure on that. [/edit]
Adam
Clik was the deathknell for BT and I would like to keep that from happening to SR... again.

Except neither Classic BattleTech nor the MechWarrior: Age of Destruction game is dead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012