Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So you want a Lounge?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Paul
Well then check out Animalball, where we've been lowering expectations for a while now!
Paul
And I should add, yes I am trolling for people to help populate PB3's!
Fortune
Cool. smile.gif

I still want the Lounge back here though.
Paul
Yeah, well in the mean time maybe this will provide everyone with some familiar faces and a cool place to kick the can around.
Fortune
I was surprised by the amount of 'familiar faces' in the member list, so definitely appreciate the heads-up. smile.gif
emo samurai
Yeah, I'd like the Lounge back too. It'd be a lot more vibrant than AnimalBall is right now, nice as it is. And I'd like to talk to a lot of DSers about religion, politics, and the like, too.
Paul
Invite them over.

You'll never get a lounge here again. The people running the show either just can't handle it, or just don't want it. (Depending on which Admin's name we toss out.)
Hocus Pocus
hm. i thought UW was the only alternative and am suprised to see another forum. How many have splintered from the old lounge?

and are there any hot babes interested in a mild mannered, urbane married man?
Fortune
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
i thought UW was the only alternative and am suprised to see another forum.

Underworld was it for a while, but it seems to have died a slow and somewhat painful death.
Paul
A much deserved painful death, at the hands of it's own members.

And Underworld was really never really the only place. There has been a few: Freespeech Alpha, run by 3278, the above linked Animalball, now in it's second incarnation, and of course wired Reflexes which I think is down right now because I can't access it.
emo samurai
What happened to Underworld?
Paul
It imploded under the weight of it's own pretentiousness.
Fortune
QUOTE (Paul @ Nov 17 2006, 01:32 AM)
And Underworld was really never really the only place.

What I meant was that after the demise of the Lounge, Underworld was specifically adapted to fill that role. At the time, the only other place was the slowly sinking Bulldrek. The others you mention came about afterward (well FS-Alpha anyway ... not sure about AnimalBall). I'm not making any statements as to relevence or quality of those forums.

I missed the last few months of Underworld, and didn't catch the specifics of the implosion, but the writing was on the wall for a long time. Sad in a way, but it never really was the same as the Lounge ... merely a hangout for the Hugs-n-Kisses Brigade™.
eidolon
My problem with any kind of forum that attracts the type of people that tend to complain that they can't just "talk about whatever they want" is that they degrade into ridiculousness.

The same group of people that try to come off as intellectuals wanting a place to freely discuss the important topics of our age tend to degenerate into poo-flinging monkeys with sub-par intelligence when given that opportunity.

In my opinion, if a person truly wanted to discuss topics that weren't covered by a particular forum, then they would go to a forum where that topic was covered. Generally in my experience, people that want to be able to discuss "off topic" things on a forum really just want a place to flaunt rules, insult one another, and generally just act like assholes.
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
In my opinion, if a person truly wanted to discuss topics that weren't covered by a particular forum, then they would go to a forum where that topic was covered.

The counter argument to that logic is that a person would have to visit multiple forums in order to discuss a variety of current events, not to mention other topical subjects that might pique the interest momentarily.

There is also the fact that people like a sense of community. We all share a love (some more than others) of Shadowrun, so we therefore all have at least some common ground. We are comfortable for the most part with the flow of conversation among the regulars. With this comes the desire to expand the conversation base to topics outside the Shadowrun RPG, while still enjoying the embrace of a community in which you feel comfortable and welcome.

Better moderation might have saved the old Lounge. I'm not pointing any fingers or casting any blame, but in my opinion the whole situation could have been dealt with in a much better manner.

Water under the bridge, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing a Lounge II. smile.gif
Paul
QUOTE (eidolon)
My problem with any kind of forum that attracts the type of people that tend to complain that they can't just "talk about whatever they want" is that they degrade into ridiculousness.

Huh, my experiences are just the opposite. In fact the one forum I visit for "on topic" discussion about a specific thing is DSF, which is ridiculously clogged with garbage that people pretend are posts.

Now I try to realize that with nearly 8000 users DSF is bound to have some flotsam, but to me it's becoming increasingly worse. Now that's not to say your experiences or anyone else's mirror my own here. We each have our own tastes.

The same group of people that try to come off as intellectuals wanting a place to freely discuss the important topics of our age tend to degenerate into poo-flinging monkeys with sub-par intelligence when given that opportunity.

Really the same could be said about anyone, on any forum-or for that matter in real life. Seriously we're all one bad day, one bad decision away from mayhem.

That said I like the balance we've achieved at Animalball currently. In all fairness we have some silliness here and there, but it's generally intended in good humor, and has yet to be a problem. Who knows maybe it will end, but then all forums have a life span right?

In my opinion, if a person truly wanted to discuss topics that weren't covered by a particular forum, then they would go to a forum where that topic was covered.  Generally in my experience, people that want to be able to discuss "off topic" things on a forum really just want a place to flaunt rules, insult one another, and generally just act like assholes.

Wow, I don't what forums you've been hanging around at, but jeesh did they bias you much? Bitter much?
Paul
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 16 2006, 12:48 PM)
Better moderation might have saved the old Lounge.

If by better you mean no moderation, I'd agree with you. Once you start trying to artificially control the flow of conversation you're bound for disaster. It's how the Lounge died here, it's why Underworld died, it's why RPG.net is such a horrible place.
knasser
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 16 2006, 11:37 AM)

Ediolon, Fortune put it very well and I echo everything that he's said. But I'll add that I find the above offensive. We've communicated extensively off-list (as you requested I keep it away from the boards), and so I don't think there's anyone here who has challenged the new, heavier moderation as consistently as I have. And yet, I think I'm one of the politest people here. So what in your experience with myself, or others who've voiced concern about the new moderation, leads you to stereotype us as poo-flinging monkeys? As Paul says, it's the opposite in my experience on Dumpshock.

We're a community. We come to know each other. And I'm often interested in people's opinions on things other than Shadowrun.
eidolon
QUOTE (Paul)
Wow, I don't what forums you've been hanging around at, but jeesh did they bias you much? Bitter much?

The Lounge here was enough, but it is hardly the only time have seen it. And the forums I am a member of currently (speaking of "other than DS here), I'm a member of because they're about topics I'm interested in, have more members that contribute positively than negatively, and are well moderated.

Again, if you want unmoderated discussion of random topics, there are plenty of places on the internet to find it, and nothing keeping you from doing so. That's not a "get away from DS" or anything of the kind. Merely factual statement.

Frankly, I wonder what kind of forums you've been to, if your experience is one of Utopian harmony rather than of degenerate nonsense.

@knasser and others

I don't mean any offense to you personally. I'm not speaking of any one person, any two people, etc.

However, I have read the old Lounge here. I have seen other forums where the norm is "anything goes". Knasser, you joined after the Lounge was shut down, and therefore don't have the same frame of reference as some others. Paul, maybe you can handle yourself well on an unmoderated forum, no matter what the members and community are like.

None of that matters in the "cosmic" sense. You individuals are not the whole of the Dumpshock community. The Dumpshock community, in fact, includes current members, old members, and equally important, new members that join.

Moderation and forum atmosphere aren't done and created to cater to one person. They must cater to all, to the extent possible and within the bounds of the context provided by the forum. And due to this, the approach must be one such that all members, current and future, can feel like Dumpshock is a place that they can come and freely discuss Shadowrun and related topics, without fear of being mocked, insulted, berated, put down, and generally made to feel unwelcome.

At present, Dumpshock gets pretty close to that. We're working on making it a better place.

The fact is, Dumpshock is not anyone's personal playground. Rules and moderation aren't in place to restrict one person's "freedom of expression", they're in place to aid in the creation of the atmosphere I describe above.
Backgammon
For what it's worth, since I've been around since bulldrek to the Lounge, I remember those forums being dominated by a few "super frequent" posters who often were on differant sides of a fence. Any sizeable thread invariably became a battlefield for the usual suspects, and just these people. If by some miracle you could manage a thread without the thread mafia popping in, yeah, you could have some good and interesting discussions.

Personally, I come here to talk about Shadowrun. If I wanted to talk about something else, I'd go to a forum not, you know, dedicated to Shadowrun. I don't see any reason why the administration of a forum dedicated to a particular RPG would want to have discussions about anything other than that RPG.

I don't see anything flawed with letting people carry their non-shadowrun conversations on another forum site of their choosing.
Fortune
QUOTE (Backgammon)
I don't see any reason why the administration of a forum dedicated to a particular RPG would want to have discussions about anything other than that RPG.

And yet most do, both for the community reasons I mentioned above, and to keep the signal-to-noise ratio of posts in their main forums down to a manageable minimum.
nezumi
Just to throw in... I never saw the lounge as being especially tightly moderated. While moderation obviously dealt the death knell, it was the lack of moderation that allowed it to spiral into the mud flinging it became. I have frequented other "talk about anything forums" (on www.rpol.net I participate regularly in the community chat) which is controlled more than the lounge was and, as a consequence, is a lot more welcoming and has never faced a threat of being shut down.

I would be curious to get to know many of the posters here a bit more personally than just their views on the Holy Game. However, considering how abrasive some of my fellow posters are, beyond a brief "hi, my name is Robert and I'm a 28 year old white Protestant male from..." I'd feel a bit uncomfortable discussing anything more controversial than the weather.

I come to DSF for shadowrun (and Drop Bears). I go to lockpicking101 for lockpicking. I go to RPoL for political discussions. If the lounge came back, I'd watch it out of curioisity, drop a few notes on stuff I know anything about, and then leave unless it was very heavily moderated. Sorry guys, some of you are just a bit too much for my tender sensibilities. Some of the monkeys here do need to be bound with chains and gagged because otherwise they just leave a giant pile of poo that scares away the new people and is an eyesore for the rest of us.

edit: Maybe if the 'show new posts' didn't ever show stuff from the lounge it would be okay, to help me completely ignore its existence. Other than that, the lounge, at its best, filled my screen with a page or two of completely stupid or sometimes hateful threads.
Fortune
QUOTE (nezumi)
I never saw the lounge as being especially tightly moderated.

It wasn't. It was unevenly moderated, varying at times from controlled to a total free-for-all. This lack of consistancy left people in some confusion as to what was and was not acceptable.
Paul
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 16 2006, 01:51 PM)
Again, if you want unmoderated discussion of random topics, there are plenty of places on the internet to find it, and nothing keeping you from doing so.

You're correct. Please notice I am a member of each of the aforementioned forums. Having been a member of this forum long enough to have seen the Lounge come and go at least twice, maybe even three times I think you have no idea what you're talking about-but that is neither here nor there.

You are as in entitled to believe whatever you'd like as I am entitled to believe what I'd like.

That's not a "get away from DS" or anything of the kind.  Merely factual statement.

And it wasn't taken that way, at least not by me. If you were interested.

Frankly, I wonder what kind of forums you've been to, if your experience is one of Utopian harmony rather than of degenerate nonsense.

Please note in my above post that I mentioned there have been problems from time, but obviously I either have thicker skin than you, or I'm just bothered by a need to have everything perfectly ordered.

I enjoy some chaos from time to time.

As for the forum I currently run my PB3's, and do the great deal of my discussion on: Animalball.

Paul, maybe you can handle yourself well on an unmoderated forum, no matter what the members and community are like.

The implication that most people can't or that you can't? Either way you can understand my vociferous objections I'm sure.

You individuals are not the whole of the Dumpshock community.  The Dumpshock community, in fact, includes current members, old members, and equally important, new members that join.

So the community should be limited by that? By what has been? That automatically predicts what could be?

I think you have a very narrow view on this, and I think that's a shame. Having been a member of this community since 1997 I can say with out reservation, with out hesitation that it has grown progressively less fun, less interesting and worse.

Now maybe you object to that characterization, but it's where I stand-and I think I'm not alone. (Nor do I think you're alone.) Unfortunately for people with my perspective we can get no relief, no consideration for what we want. As such I posted this thread to draw those people to Animalball. Not to somehow in someway childishly attack DSF-but to allow them to take that part of their entertainment elsewhere.

And make no mistake, that is what DSF is. Entertainment.

Moderation and forum atmosphere aren't done and created to cater to one person.

But really, here, they do cater to a small group of people. They have to. They can't make everyone happy, and they've publicly said that their not interested in doing it even if they could.

They must cater to all, to the extent possible and within the bounds of the context provided by the forum.  And due to this, the approach must be one such that all members, current and future, can feel like Dumpshock is a place that they can come and freely discuss Shadowrun and related topics, without fear of being mocked, insulted, berated, put down, and generally made to feel unwelcome.

Have you read the forum lately? Personally I'm surprised half the users who are currently active haven't been banned. Especially considering why previous users have been banned.

Now maybe this means the admins here are trying to take a hands off approach, and if so cool. But to me it seems much more likely real life has them busy and they just aren't reading the forums like they would if they were unemployed, in college or what not.

At present, Dumpshock gets pretty close to that.

Forgive me for laughing loudly.

We're working on making it a better place.

Are you part of the moderating team? Or is this just your personal goal?

The fact is, Dumpshock is not anyone's personal playground.

Well actually as I understand it Marco owns the placem, but yeah whatever.

Rules and moderation aren't in place to restrict one person's "freedom of expression", they're in place to aid in the creation of the atmosphere I describe above.

Says you. Obviously not everyone agrees with idealistic version of DSF.
Paul
QUOTE (nezumi)
I come to DSF for shadowrun (and Drop Bears).

And see, I think Drop Bears is exactly what is wrong with this forum. That and threads like it.
Paul
QUOTE (Fortune)
It wasn't. It was unevenly moderated, varying at times from controlled to a total free-for-all. This lack of consistency left people in some confusion as to what was and was not acceptable.

What he said!
emo samurai
My problem is that there are several forums for DS-ers to talk on, not one single one, so I can't just go to one site to talk to everybody I want to talk to. If there was an official Lounge, this would not be a problem.
Adam
eidolon is, indeed, a moderator now; one of several new ones added recently.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=15035

One of the primary goals of adding new moderators is, indeed, consistent moderation, something that has been a problem with Dumpshock since pretty much forever.
nezumi
QUOTE (Paul)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 16 2006, 02:59 PM)
I come to DSF for shadowrun (and Drop Bears).

And see, I think Drop Bears is exactly what is wrong with this forum. That and threads like it.

Didn't you just post a long thing about how you don't mind a "little bit of chaos"? Anyway, assuming there were a loung, the drop bear thread (and ones like it) would STILL be here and STILL in the same grouping. The lounge would only muddy things by bringing in posters who have interest in nothing shadowrun related (as we saw when the lounge was open. I don't recollect subrosa posting on a single shadowrun related thread, although he/she/it posted regularly in the lounge).

I really can't understand why you are campaigning for a non-shadowrun area in a shadowrun forum, but get upset that there are shadowrun joke threads in the same forum. Am I completely missing the thrust of your argument?
emo samurai
Since it's not really a problem now, shouldn't you be able to handle a Lounge?
Fortune
Let me try to illustrate what the Lounge meant to me ...

Cast your mind back a few years to the year 2001. I logged onto Dumpshock in the late evening from where I was then living in Canberra, and did my usual thing of catching up with the new posts. I was just relaxing that September evening when suddenly the Lounge lit up with excitement. Something was happening right then and there in New York City, half way around the globe, but in a place I was intimately familiar with, and where I have friends currently living (including some from this community).

Splitting my attention between the BBC and CNN web sites, I avidly devoured the news coming in from my fellow forumites, people that I feel I know well enough as individuals to gauge whether they were full of shit or quite genuine in their respective posts. Although very troubled, I was still somewhat comforted to be an active part of a community at the time. To know that people that I have shared something with in my lifetime ... even something as trivial as interest in a roleplaying game ... these people were all sharing my concerns, my fears, and my hopes that things would not turn out to be as bleak as they seemed to be getting at the time.

This type of experience you just can't get by going to the forums at http://www.thelatestterroristattack.com and yapping away at a bunch of ever-rotating strangers.
nezumi
Honestly, something tells me that if such a sudden act that paralyzed the nation happened a second time, we would see a similar thing even without a lounge. It might not go on for days, but I can't imagine not seeing something starting with "are all our NY friends alright?"

For the other 364 days in the year however, I really don't need to know about who you voted for or your sex change operation or how dumb your friend is, and I'd prefer not to have my "get new messages" page flashing with the same.
eidolon
QUOTE (Paul)
maybe even three times I think you have no idea what you're talking about-but that is neither here nor there.

You're entitled to your opinion. Thanks for having the presence of mind to realize that that's what it is.

QUOTE (Paul)
but obviously I either have thicker skin than you, or I'm just bothered by a need to have everything perfectly ordered.

It has nothing to do with how thick or thin my skin is. I think this is where you and others are really missing the point somewhat. It doesn't matter what any one person can or can't take, does or doesn't want to have to be subject to, etc.

QUOTE (Paul)
I enjoy some chaos from time to time.

Yet you are bothered by the Drop Bear thread. I too am puzzled by this.

QUOTE (Paul)
As for the forum I currently run my PB3's, and do the great deal of my discussion on: Animalball.

Do you administrate or moderate at any of the forums you are on? I ask because it really is a different experience than being a member, one that comes with an entirely different viewpoint, different "rules" as it were.

QUOTE (Paul)
The implication that most people can't or that you can't? Either way you can understand my vociferous objections I'm sure.

Yes. Frankly, the implication is that some can't. But note that I'm not the one attaching negative connotations to that. Some people do not want to have to be subject to mockery, for example. (And it is only one example, I use it merely because it's the simplest and most commonly witnessed form of poor online manners, as it were.) And because those people are members here, we must do what we can to provide an atmosphere that they, too, can enjoy freely. Is it your opinion that those people are less deserving of a place to discuss a game that they enjoy than those with your "thick skin"?

You seem to keep mistaking my disagreement for misunderstanding.

QUOTE (Paul)
I think you have a very narrow view on this, and I think that's a shame. Having been a member of this community since 1997 I can say with out reservation, with out hesitation that it has grown progressively less fun, less interesting and worse.

Again, you're certainly free to hold your opinion, but it's hardly the majority opinion that you seem to think it to be.

QUOTE (Paul)
Unfortunately for people with my perspective we can get no relief, no consideration for what we want. As such I posted this thread to draw those people to Animalball. Not to somehow in someway childishly attack DSF-but to allow them to take that part of their entertainment elsewhere.

I never saw it as a childish attack or anything of the like, for what it's worth. I do find it somewhat comical that you've played the martyr card. The "relief" that you so need seems to have been found after all, has it not? Isn't that why you posted the link to Animalball?

QUOTE (Paul)
Have you read the forum lately? Personally I'm surprised half the users who are currently active haven't been banned. Especially considering why previous users have been banned.

And as I've stated, we're currently working on that. Laugh at the notion if you like, but we're doing our best to smooth out enforcement of policies, improving the posting atmosphere, and for lack of a better description, making DSF better. As you say, we are indeed limited by our normal lives to an extent, but I'm curious as to why you use that as if it were some kind of "ah-hah" support for your arguments. We have lives outside of the internet, just like everyone else. On top of that, we have volunteered to moderate the forums in addition to being regular members. And this is negative, somehow?

QUOTE (Paul)
Are you part of the moderating team? Or is this just your personal goal?

This has been answered, but I'd like to add that if it were the personal goal of more people, none of this would be at issue.
fistandantilus4.0
Just a couple quick comments, because I really don't want to argue with you Paul, 'cause I like ya',and I don't want to really get in to this debate.

Now maybe this means the admins here are trying to take a hands off approach, and if so cool. But to me it seems much more likely real life has them busy and they just aren't reading the forums like they would if they were unemployed, in college or what not.

I'm here just about every day, for most of the day. I have been trying to take the approach of stepping in to make sure things don't get out of hand, and mostly let things go as they will. As evidenced by the BOOO shadowrun and tangents on threads like the Pendragon. I consider threads like DropBears and Emo's pages controlled chaos. If nothing else, they've stayed remarkably on topic, even if the topic is admittadly warped.

I think Animal Ball is a great idea, and would go there myself if I had more time. As for a lounge, we've been told ( us little moderator types) by the folks that asked us to help out, that they don't want to deal with a lounge again. So asking folks to come over to Animal ball is a good thing in my mind. So I don't see a point of debating about whether or not there should be a lounge here.

I'm gonne shut up now though, because I said I didn't really want in on this arguement, since there doesn't seem much point to it, and then I went on for two paragraphs.
Fortune
QUOTE (nezumi)
Honestly, something tells me that if such a sudden act that paralyzed the nation happened a second time, we would see a similar thing even without a lounge. It might not go on for days, but I can't imagine not seeing something starting with "are all our NY friends alright?"

For the other 364 days in the year however, I really don't need to know about who you voted for or your sex change operation or how dumb your friend is, and I'd prefer not to have my "get new messages" page flashing with the same.

See, I don't mind, and would kind of like to be able to discuss current events and trivial bullshit with the people here ... people that I can relate to, even if I don't like each and every one of them. I don't want to have to join three or four or seventy-five different communities to keep up with the latest crap, or just gossip back and forth.

I believe that it is a trivial thing for you to ignore the Lounge entirely (isn't there a setting in the My Assistant feature that could accommodate this?) if you are not interested in it at all.
nezumi
QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't want to have to join three or four or seventy-five different communities to keep up with the latest crap, or just gossip back and forth.

Paul has kindly provided one, animaball.

I believe that it is a trivial thing for you to ignore the Lounge entirely (isn't there a setting in the My Assistant feature that could accommodate this?) if you are not interested in it at all.

Not as far as I can tell, but I might have missed it. And I know many users, both old and new, are also unaware of it.
Fortune
Appears you are correct. I just never use the feature, so I just figured that it would be a basic function to filter the individual forums in which the member is interested.

Be that as it may, I do find it odd that Dumpshock is almost unique in its lack of off-topic forums. I do think that with the influx of new moderators (and maybe even the addition of one or two more), a Lounge is a viable and even desireable feature for this community. The old Lounge(s) are a part of what brought some of the core regulars of this online group together. Admittedly it was not the only, or even the strongest reason, nor was it integral to every single member. But it was still a part of what formed the initial bond that drove the fledgling message board and its disparate group of disfunctional members forward, and made Dumpshock into the place that it is today, reknowned webwide as the forum to go to for anything Shadowrun-related.

*Adam: Is this 'forum-filter-thing' a viable feature? Is it something that Marco could just implement with a figurative flick of a switch?
eidolon
Fortune, that kind of functionality is being looked at for the next upgrade of the software supporting DSF. We have no specifics or dates yet, but once we do I'm sure something will go out.

Adam
Who the hell is Marco? Mark, you mean? smile.gif

Frankly, the main problem with the Lounge, as I saw it, was the inconsistent moderation led to people being able to "get away" with more than they would be allowed in the other parts of the forum, and that -- along with Lounge stuff getting dragged into the main forums ["OMG, you only think that because you're a dirty liberal!"] -- degraded the overall quality of the forums, not just the Lounge.

I wasn't around as an admin when the Lounge got killed [and aside from Mark, none of the admins that were involved in killing the lounge are still active], but I still don't think the administration is at a point where adding a lounge is feasible or desirable.
Fortune
QUOTE (Adam)
Who the hell is Marco? Mark, you mean?

Yeah. embarrassed.gif I knew that too! I blame lack of sleep and Paul's reference in an earlier post. Funny thing is that I first typed in Neuron Basher, but was so tired that I wasn't sure on the spelling, so switched to the, ultimately inane Marco. embarrassed.gif again!
Fortune
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 17 2006, 08:35 AM)
I wasn't around as an admin when the Lounge got killed [and aside from Mark, none of the admins that were involved in killing the lounge are still active], but I still don't think the administration is at a point where adding a lounge is feasible or desirable.

And that's fair enough. It wasn't my initial intent to actually push for a Lounge Renewed™ as much as it was to lament its passing.

But as I said, I can see it being a viable option, given more consitant moderation ... if the situation ever arises. wink.gif
Paul
QUOTE (nezumi)
Didn't you just post a long thing about how you don't mind a "little bit of chaos"?

Chaos, to me, doesn't go hand in hand with ass-which is what I consider the Drop Bear thread, and well a lot of what is posted here to be, because really it's off topic Lounge style discussion thinly veiled as being semi-Shadowrun related.

Don't mistake that, however, for a call to disallow you or others from posting it. But to me it's indicative of what passes for fun around here, and frankly I don't care for it.

I really can't understand why you are campaigning for a non-shadowrun area in a shadowrun forum

Uhm, I'm not. I keep saying this one word over and over again and it's Animalball. DSF could close tomorrow and I wouldn't really much care.

...but get upset that there are shadowrun joke threads in the same forum.  Am I completely missing the thrust of your argument?

Yes. I know they don't want a Lounge here, and I don't care if they get a Lounge here. Ever.

And by the way disliking the Drop Bear thread as being childish and too silly for me doesn't equate to me being upset.
Paul
QUOTE (eidolon)
You're entitled to your opinion. Thanks for having the presence of mind to realize that that's what it is.

Like I said, I know opinions will vary.

It has nothing to do with how thick or thin my skin is.  I think this is where you and others are really missing the point somewhat.  It doesn't matter what any one person can or can't take, does or doesn't want to have to be subject to, etc.

Oh but it does matter, as it goes a long way-at times-towards determining official policy, especially here. DSF has a history of moderators who moderate based on their emotional status and not the forums rules.

A little piece of unsolicited advice eidolon:

Just because you can't please everyone, doesn't mean you don't have to listen to anyone.

Maybe that's unwarranted, and you already knew that little tidbit, maybe not.

Yet you are bothered by the Drop Bear thread.  I too am puzzled by this.

I'm bothered that the Drop bear thread has become one of the most popular threads, and the pattern it sets on DSF. It's part of the reason why users like me don't post here as much as we used to.

Now maybe that doesn't matter, which is okay.

Do you administrate or moderate at any of the forums you are on?  I ask because it really is a different experience than being a member, one that comes with an entirely different viewpoint, different "rules" as it were.

Only if you make it that way. While I play a role, I am not an administrator (per say) on any board. I did help determine a variety of boards policies, and attitudes.

But all of that doesn't matter. You volunteered for this job right? Who's playng the martyr card now?

Yes. Frankly, the implication is that some can't.  But note that I'm not the one attaching negative connotations to that.

Which says a lot about you to me.

Is it your opinion that those people are less deserving of a place to discuss a game that they enjoy than those with your "thick skin"?

And in real life you come to the aid of every person you hear insulted? All of the time?

My hero.

Again, you're certainly free to hold your opinion, but it's hardly the majority opinion that you seem to think it to be.

Isn't it? Out of the 8000 or so members how many are active posters? How many of your core posters come and go, never to return?

Make no mistake I don't really think we're a majority, but we are significant.

I never saw it as a childish attack or anything of the like, for what it's worth.  I do find it somewhat comical that you've played the martyr card.  The "relief" that you so need seems to have been found after all, has it not?  Isn't that why you posted the link to Animalball?

For what it's worth I really didn't mean to climb up on a cross there.

And this is negative, somehow?

Absolutely not. It does mean however you guys need to carefully consider which rules are significant enough to enforce and which aren't. Which I am sure you already know.

This has been answered, but I'd like to add that if it were the personal goal of more people, none of this would be at issue.

I want to like you for standing by this principle, but I'll be honest I'll wait and see. It's an awful lot to believe.
Paul
And by the way, if nothing else we have 300 or so views and 42 replies with out anyone really bugging out or going for the jugular. Could be worse says I.
Fortune
QUOTE (Paul)
And by the way, if nothing else we have 300 or so views and 42 replies with out anyone really bugging out or going for the jugular. Could be worse says I.

I can definitely agree with that. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Oh but it does matter, as it goes a long way-at times-towards determining official policy, especially here. DSF has a history of moderators who moderate based on their emotional status and not the forums rules.

A little piece of unsolicited advice eidolon:

Just because you can't please everyone, doesn't mean you don't have to listen to anyone.

Maybe that's unwarranted, and you already knew that little tidbit, maybe not.

Just FYI, we make a practice of asking other mods for second opinions on a lot of things to make sure that we get a clear view of things before we make any admin-type posts or send warnings. And we didn't volunteer, we were asked.

As far not listening to anyone, I won't speak for eidolon, but I make a point of requesting feedback from folks, for what it's worth.
Hocus Pocus
I don't post as often as i used to and don't really notice the myriad of implosions and outplosions of the various forums nor the reasons why. why stress? i do remember however the vitriol of the group who later coalesced into the H&K Brigade. Fond memories of threats upon my life and the cuting off of certain body parts particular to the male anatomy for some heretofore unknown reason. they thought i was sexist or something i think puh lease! like omigosh!. There any way to look at the old lounge nothing like treading down memory lane once and awhile. I still count them along with the rest of each and every one of you lovely people as near and dear friends!!Some people took things way too personal, chilax and shoot the moon, a cool daddy-o meter will leave you siting in butter ta be sure.

and my other question wasn't answered. Those alternative forums, any super duper firehot babes there? if so once they see my sexiness they're gonna fall head over heels, believe it!
Paul
As usual HP your post neither makes sense, nor can we understand it.
eidolon
I'm short on time, and there's really not a whole lot left to say on the matter, but I did want to respond to a couple of quick things.

QUOTE (Paul)
Which says a lot about you to me.

What, exactly? That I'm aware that people have different outlooks, different values, and different personal tolerances? What a terrible thing to know about someone.

QUOTE (Paul)
And in real life you come to the aid of every person you hear insulted? All of the time?

Of course not all the time. But if I do witness someone getting uncomfortable in a social situation at the hands of another individual or a group, yes, I will go to that person's defense. Even if it's a quick "hey, is this making you uncomfortable?" Again, I fail to see how you think this characterizes me in a bad light.

QUOTE (Paul)
Absolutely not. It does mean however you guys need to carefully consider which rules are significant enough to enforce and which aren't. Which I am sure you already know.

We do, and in fact a rework of the ToS, guidelines, et al is in progress (although as you were quick to point out, it may be slower in coming than we'd like, what with having real lives and all).

QUOTE (Paul)
Could be worse says I.

I agree.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I won't speak for eidolon, but I make a point of requesting feedback from folks, for what it's worth.

As do I, especially when it's a case that isn't a direct violation of a current ToS or posting guideline. However, I also feel that there must be a certain level of autonomy, due primarily to the fact that we aren't all on concurrently, and some things really shouldn't be left to stew while we wait for an opportunity to discuss them.

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
There any way to look at the old lounge nothing like treading down memory lane once and awhile.

No, and there likely won't be. The content exists as an archive, but I would think that it will be deleted when we move to new forum software in the future.

Heh. Apparently, time be damned. smile.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Adam)

*raises hand*

Actually... smile.gif

Look, the fact is, we've tried off topic forums here twice. It didn't work out.

The first time around, the break up was kinda ugly, and she moved on pretty quickly. It hurt, but we managed to become friends after a while. We even felt bad when she had her next breakup. (aka, the Bulldrek forum back in the day smile.gif)

The second one... that was just ugly, because it turns out, she was a disease ridden whore. We let that relationship go one for a while, because hey, it was some nookie and it was easier than hitting the dating scene. But eventually, we got tired of her whining, complaining, doing drugs, discussing deviant sexual practices at great length and in much detail, and bring strange men over when we weren't around. We dumped her, she bitched quite a bit, but in the end, I think we're better for it. (Lounge, baby. She was a whore, and you all know it smile.gif)

I won't say there will never be an off topic board ever again, because hey, never say never. Plus, I don;t actually own the boards, so I can always get over ruled wink.gif But for the time being, there are no plans for it. It takes far too much work, caused waaaay too many problems, and at the end of the day, is not the prupose of these forums.

We're a Shadowrun board, we're here to provide a place to discuss Shadowrun. That is our focus, and anything that detracts from that focus... Well, it's got to go.

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012