Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New RL Drone
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Vertaxis666
Feast your eyes on this

New sentry bots for your perimeter.
Angelone
I have the feeling one of these will kill me as I come stumbling back from a Korean bar indifferent.gif I saw it and knew that's how I was going to die.
Dog
Wow, so sophisticated that it can tell the difference between people and trees?! I don't take a lot of comfort in that.
emo samurai
What about people hiding in fake bushes, like in cartoons?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Dog @ Nov 14 2006, 03:36 PM)
Wow, so sophisticated that it can tell the difference between people and trees?!  I don't take a lot of comfort in that.

For a computer, that's actually a significant ability.

Humans take their image recognition ability for granted most of the time, but machines tend to have a much harder time of it.

I'm loving this quote from the original linked article:

…are expected to sell for $200,00 USD and will be available late in 2007. The South Korean government plans to deploy these friendly reminders on the border between South and North Korea, to further ease relations between the countries

Yah, that'll ease tensions. =)

Why am I envisioning the scene from the extended cut of Aliens with the automated turrets? Only replace the alien swarms with the NVA?

It's not like humans have an easier time of it, just that the problem has been getting worked on for millions of years for humans and less than a hundred for machines.

~J
Fix-it
Two possible Jokes here:

"How Not to Be Seen" (Monty Python's Flying Circus)

"DROP YOUR WEAPON YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO COMPLY" (RoboCop)

It's not like humans have an easier time of it, just that the problem has been getting worked on for millions of years for humans and less than a hundred for machines.

Not to mention biological systems have a more or less automatic development cycle.

And an entertaining system for eliminating bugs.
Backgammon
Ironically, since they'll be in the DMZ, there is no reason why they'd have to shoot at anything, really, so it's not like they have to actually work properly. Unless of course North Korea invades, in which case even really good automated guns aren't really going to do anything.

Come to think of it, it might be another one of those subtle Asian insult things. "Hey, North Koreans, look, we have high-tech robot guns. What do you have? Half a clip of ammo for your AK-47? Silly North Koreans"
Lindt
The real question then is can the guy /w half a clip in his AK disable the robot...
Austere Emancipator
Only if it self-destructs when it sees soldiers marching pompously in formation.
Fortune
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 16 2006, 02:18 AM)
I'm loving this quote from the original linked article:

…are expected to sell for $200,00 USD and will be available late in 2007. The South Korean government plans to deploy these friendly reminders on the border between South and North Korea, to further ease relations between the countries

Yah, that'll ease tensions.

Well, the thought could be that using more machines means that they would have to deploy less actual troops. The tension between the troops of the North and South can get (and is at the moment) quite high, and less interaction between their respective personnel might lead to less 'unfortunate incidents'. This could probably be seen as a Good Thing™.
Dog
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
QUOTE (Dog @ Nov 14 2006, 03:36 PM)
Wow, so sophisticated that it can tell the difference between people and trees?!  I don't take a lot of comfort in that.

For a computer, that's actually a significant ability.

Humans take their image recognition ability for granted most of the time, but machines tend to have a much harder time of it.

Oh for sure, the tech's an impressive development, but it's still a far cry from anything I'd trust to kill on my behalf. When it can tell a drunk kid who got lost coming home from the bar apart from an armed soldier, then I'll feel better.

At the very least, you can't use it in an area with any civilian population.
Penta
No, hence why it's being deployed on the DMZ.

If you're by some godforsaken chance between the lines there, you are almost certainly not a civilian.
PBTHHHHT
Aren't there two villages located in the dmz? I thought one is run by the South Koreans and the other is by the North Koreans. The North Korean one is a propaganda type village from what I've heard. The South Korean one, only a small amount of folks live there and must show some ancestral connection to that village to be given permission to live there, etc... but yeah on a general rule, civilians aren't supposed to be there.
Kagetenshi
That's the best part—after the bots have been there for a while, there won't be any villages in the DMZ anymore!

~J
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Nov 16 2006, 06:55 PM)
Aren't there two villages located in the dmz?  I thought one is run by the South Koreans and the other is by the North Koreans.  The North Korean one is a propaganda type village from what I've heard.  The South Korean one, only a small amount of folks live there and must show some ancestral connection to that village to be given permission to live there, etc...  but yeah on a general rule, civilians aren't supposed to be there.
Garrowolf
I just went to the wiki site and found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paul_Bunyan

I can't believe there isn't a movie of this. This is crazy. Just to cut down a tree!
Backgammon
Sounds like some sort of retarded shadowrun. "Let me get this straight, Mr Johnson. You want us to go into a Mitsuhama zero-zone, and chop down a tree. Then leave. And, we get paid after that. Of course, Mitsuhama will actively be trying to kill us with death robots that shoot laser from their eyes and waves of loyal to the death slanty-eyed security agents will come at us with chainsaws, but we MUST chop down this.. tree. Does the tree contain rare research? Is it made of Orichalcum? No. I see. It's a symbolic tree."

And of course, whe all know every shadowrunner out there would still accept the job. Cause you know, we're crazy like that.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Sounds like some sort of retarded shadowrun. "Let me get this straight, Mr Johnson. You want us to go into a Mitsuhama zero-zone, and chop down a tree. Then leave. And, we get paid after that. Of course, Mitsuhama will actively be trying to kill us with death robots that shoot laser from their eyes and waves of loyal to the death slanty-eyed security agents will come at us with chainsaws, but we MUST chop down this.. tree. Does the tree contain rare research? Is it made of Orichalcum? No. I see. It's a symbolic tree."

And of course, whe all know every shadowrunner out there would still accept the job. Cause you know, we're crazy like that.

Shit. I'd do that for free. Just think about pulling something like that would do to your rep.

(er, not COMPLETELY for free. equipment compensation. gotta have the gear)
hyzmarca
Ah, military contractors; there is nothing like spending $200,000 dollars on a piece of junk that a bored college student could make for $50.

Building a sentry turrent isn't exactly as difficult as people think. Not getting arrested when you put a live gun on one, that's the problem. For some reason some jurisdictions consider the use of death-traps for home defense to constitute unjustified homicide.
Kagetenshi
Building a sentry turret is quite difficult. The big difficulty is the "make sure it remains operational in all weather for months at a time without any maintenance whatsoever, and recognizes failures and calls for maintenance", not getting it to work in the first place.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012