Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: regeneration as an adept power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
child of insanity
i was thinking today of the things adepts can do, and considering what they are/have access to magicially would regen be too much? even a lesser regen power that regenerates every couple rounds or something. maybe a power mixed with a metamagic technique? i'm thinking it's going to be bloody expensive, but personally i'd think it'd be worth it. and the coolness factor biggrin.gif
as well, making a deadpool character in shadowrun... i mean he's already pretty much there, just in the wrong time.
what would you price this at, or even would you allow it?
Ryu
SR4 healing times are fast enough as they are. Regeneration without risk and within seconds allows for combat tactics I don´t want to see in my game. The player won´t care for damage at all, because he feels short-lived modifiers instead of incruciating pain. Suspension of disbelieve is hard enough with the countless non-combat chars fighting on with a nearly filled condition monitor.

What is a deadpool character?
Straight Razor
there are a couple non-cannon powere out there.
the most power full i'v seen was 1 power point and let you spend a complex action to heal 1 box of physical damage.
that came acroff as a bit powerfull, but not the worst iv seen.

for 6 power points i'd let you roll regeneration as per 4ed rules.

for 4 points... maby, roll your magic rateing vs. the 4+ number of boxes taken. heal 1 box per sucess.

for .5 point, you always get you karma pool in sucess for any body test for healing.
child of insanity
i forgot to mention i play SR3
and deadpool is a comic book character who's a complete smartass. he's know as the merc with a mouth. he gained regeneration through (IIRC) a weapon x cancer treatment that left him horribly scarred and disfigured. a hilarious comic, but i don't think it's around anymore. i'd suggest reading it if you can though. he goes from pure merc to wannabe hero to true hero with some anti-hero tendencies.
Rajaat99
I'd run the power as the Immortal Flower drug in Man & Machine. It's got some penalty's that should keep the adepts from jumping into every dangerous situation. Of course, there's also the possiblity of their brain or spinal cord being damaged too.
I would make it very costly though. Crazy costly.
Wounded Ronin
I think it's just too powerful. Use only for Mary Sue NPCs designed to test the muscular strength of your players' collective rectums.
Squinky
I would allow a version of regeneration as an adept power in my games, but the point cost would double if the player got his character bone lacing and cyber spurs....
Kagetenshi
Regeneration (1PP):

The adept has mastered the use of his magical talents to stitch together flesh and bone. To use this power, the Adept temporarily sacrifices one point of magic. At the end of the round, the Adept may erase two boxes of physical damage. Magic lost this way is regained at a rate of 1/day. The adept must choose which powers become unavailable while magic is lost; powers so forfeited do not become available again until restored magic is allocated to them, and they may not be swapped in for other powers.

~J
The Jopp
We had a houseruled version that I’m planning on porting over to SR4 and the rules in SR4 for regeneration is rather nice (roll Body+Magic and successes equals number of boxes healed).

Regenerate
Cost: 0,5 / Level
Each point of adept power allows the character to heal 1 box of damage. At the end of the combat turn the character must spend a free action and rolls a number of dice equal to the power. The target number for regeneration is 4. Each success heals 1 box of damage.

Regenerate also gives +1D6 for resisting poisons and diseases unless they are magical in nature. This includes any form of pain killers like morphine and other chemicals used in hospitals
Critias
QUOTE (The Jopp)
We had a houseruled version that I’m planning on porting over to SR4 and the rules in SR4 for regeneration is rather nice (roll Body+Magic and successes equals number of boxes healed).

Regenerate
Cost: 0,5 / Level
Each point of adept power allows the character to heal 1 box of damage. At the end of the combat turn the character must spend a free action and rolls a number of dice equal to the power. The target number for regeneration is 4. Each success heals 1 box of damage.

Regenerate also gives +1D6 for resisting poisons and diseases unless they are magical in nature. This includes any form of pain killers like morphine and other chemicals used in hospitals

Whoof. Wow.

So, for 3 Magic Points (unless you Geasa it, natch), you can spend a free action (oh noes, a free action!) to get back about a third of your health bar every turn. Or you can, y'know, Karma that to make it come to probably about half of your health bar every turn. Similarly, I'm sure there's some flavor of focus I'm not thinking of right now that just adds ranks to powers, right? Even without it, though...

Wow.

So the ability to -- for pretty much nothing -- go from Deadly to Serious, or Serious to Moderate, or Moderate to just fine, thanks, ever turn, hasn't turned out to be overpowering in your game?
Ryu
And then you will fight like my light side-mastering weaponmaster-jedi in KOTOR 2. Not like his whimpy comrades who manage to be overrun by a 3:1 numerical superior force of slavers and need to be rescued.

One might consider regeneration that seriously shortens healing time in the way symbiontes do in SR3. For SR4 my suggestion is increasing base healing time to one or two weeks and leaving it at days for adepts with regeneration.
Magus
How about giving mental phobias/negative qualities if serious/or half of damage monitor is filled in at one time. These are permanent. No amount of Karma can buy these off.
jervinator
For 1 PP, I allow use of the critter Regeneration power but with a couple of limitations.

1) It is an Exclusive action in the extreme. You can do NOTHING but sit there and concentrate on healing. Normally you get to roll (at least) your Reaction to avoid incoming attacks; while Regenerating, you don't get that luxury. Not great in combat wink.gif

2) Every 3 boxes of Physical damage healed results in one box of unresisted Stun damage to represent the fatigue of calling on your body's energy reserves. This Stun damage is treated as starvation damage and can only be healed by rest and eating. On average, this heals at about 1 box per 8-12 hours.

With proper tactics this Regeneration can be used to great effect but you're still far better off not getting hit in the first place. Rely on it too much and those Stun penalties will get you killed right quick.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (jervinator)
For 1 PP, I allow use of the critter Regeneration power but with a couple of limitations.

1) It is an Exclusive action in the extreme. You can do NOTHING but sit there and concentrate on healing. Normally you get to roll (at least) your Reaction to avoid incoming attacks; while Regenerating, you don't get that luxury. Not great in combat wink.gif

2) Every 3 boxes of Physical damage healed results in one box of unresisted Stun damage to represent the fatigue of calling on your body's energy reserves. This Stun damage is treated as starvation damage and can only be healed by rest and eating. On average, this heals at about 1 box per 8-12 hours.

With proper tactics this Regeneration can be used to great effect but you're still far better off not getting hit in the first place. Rely on it too much and those Stun penalties will get you killed right quick.

This sounds pretty good. It seems fair and balanced, I'd get it for my adept.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012