Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dull & Static
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DV8
Some of you might know that I maintain a website. According to my server's logs, many of you guys pop in every once in a while through the various links posted in threads, or in my signature. Most of the pages on my website are rather content-rich, which means that there's a lot of text, with a lot of information, usually condensed because I'm not a writing genius.

I hope to find some people here who are willing to do one of two things for me;

1. Give me some criticism on the texts, with which I can work to improve on the readability of it all.
2. Give me some sources of art - preferably Shadowrun or Cyberpunk art, respectively - to dress the pages, and break the bland, "staticness" of these blocks of text, and give the entire page more character, and thus, appeal.

Link is in my signature, I welcome any and all feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Shadow
If you would like, my wife maintains an artsite, Dragonbait with a couple of Shadowrun, and Shadowrun esq pictures. Pluse she could be encouraged to do more.

As for your site, I'll take an indepth look at it and give you some feedback, over all I think it's great!
TheOneRonin
I can't provide much in the way of Shadowrun/Cyberpunk art, but I have tons of military and firearms pics if you are looking for those.
Ancient History
It's a great site, D. One day I should give you mine so you could do it justice!
kevyn668
You just got props from AH!! Holy crap!!

for the record, I dig your site too.

[no sarcasm. unfortunately there is no "no sarcasm" emot-icon]
Drain Brain
I actually like your site as it is, D! I think it appeals to my early eighties sense of Tron-ness - all plain simple black with highlights. It's also very shadowrun - I can see all my 2nd-Ed sourcebooks in that style!
DV8
QUOTE (Shadow)
If you would like, my wife maintains an artsite, Dragonbait with a couple of Shadowrun, and Shadowrun esq pictures. Pluse she could be encouraged to do more.

Well, if you could show her the site, perhaps she can get a feel for things. Should she want to make something, and it meshes well with the theme of the pages, I wouldn't have any compensation for her but a place in the links section of a website that has pageviews in the mid-thousand range every month. (4663 pageviews between 1-10-2003 and 24-10-2003)

As for your site, I'll take an indepth look at it and give you some feedback, over all I think it's great!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
I can't provide much in the way of Shadowrun/Cyberpunk art, but I have tons of military and firearms pics if you are looking for those.

Well, I keep my options open, of course, but what I'm really looking for is very specific art. I'm missing Orks, Trolls, cyberware, drones, that sort of thing. Especially in my character section, I'm missing a lot of that, since I tend to take actors and actresses for character pictures.

I have been toying with the idea of creating an art gallery of compiled shadowrun art, throwing up everything I've compiled so far. I'll just put a big link up to the shadowrun image archive, and fill my gallery with all the miscelleaneous art you'll find scattered around the web. Sadly, not all of that is very usuable for integration with the pages I've got, otherwise I would've done it. I'm not going to add art for art's sake, because it would become too overbearing. It has to mesh well with the page, and it has to create a bit of harmony and the composition has to be more appealing, and the text easier to read.

QUOTE (Ancient History)
It's a great site, D.  One day I should give you mine so you could do it justice!

We'll have to look into that someday soon. Thanks for the props. smile.gif

QUOTE (kevyn668)
for the record, I dig your site too.

Thanks you. embarrassed.gif
Synner
Deev, after we get the other project rolling, I'll probably have the time to give you a hand if you're interested. I'll also see about mailing you my list of artist and art website links asap. Meanwhile if you haven't got a problem with some amateur stuff try the SR Amateur Art Yahoogroup, there's some pretty nice material there, you're free to use my stuff but please ask the others before using theirs.
DV8
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
I actually like your site as it is, D!  I think it appeals to my early eighties sense of Tron-ness - all plain simple black with highlights.  It's also very shadowrun - I can see all my 2nd-Ed sourcebooks in that style!

Now that's a compliment I bow to. Thank you. smile.gif

QUOTE (Synner)
Deev, after we get the other project rolling, I'll probably have the time to give you a hand if you're interested. I'll also see about mailing you my list of artist and art website links asap. Meanwhile if you haven't got a problem with some amateur stuff try the SR Amateur Art Yahoogroup,  there's some pretty nice material there, you're free to use my stuff but please ask the others before using theirs.

That all sounds very good, Syn. I'll take a look at the Yahoo! Group, and I hope to hear from you soon. (About the other project as well as any leads you might have regarding art.)
Fortune
You already know that I think your page is top notch. I don't think there's much room for improvement, except as you say, for character images. smile.gif
Raygun
Looks good to me, Deev. You've obviously put a lot of work into it. Lots of good info there. I likey. smile.gif

If you want to know what dull and static is, check out my site. wink.gif

QUOTE (Ancient History)
It's a great site, D. One day I should give you mine so you could do it justice!

AH, what your site lacks in pretty it more than makes up for in content. Keep up the good work. smile.gif
DV8
QUOTE (Raygun)
Looks good to me, Deev. You've obviously put a lot of work into it. Lots of good info there. I likey. smile.gif

Thanks, Ray. smile.gif

If you want to know what dull and static is, check out my site.

Oh, shut it. Now you're just fishing for compliments. smile.gif

AH, what your site lacks in pretty it more than makes up for in content. Keep up the good work. smile.gif

True dat.
Raygun
QUOTE (DV8)
Oh, shut it. Now you're just fishing for compliments.

It still uses frames for Christ's sake. Beyond the front page, there's not much going on. A little Flash, but no php, no databases. It's just... cumbersome. In dire need of a face lift and a heart transplant.
Siege
Frames aren't bad -- it's the simplest way of displaying disparate information on a single page.

Upgrading the whole thing to a database is complicated and time-consuming.

-Siege
Phasma Felis
DV8 said:
...I'm not a writing genius...
...the bland, "staticness" of these blocks of text....

Ancient History said:
One day I should give you mine so you could do it justice!

Raygun said:
If you want to know what dull and static is, check out my site.

Oh would you quit the one-downsmanship already?!? All three of you have great sites. smile.gif
DV8
Hahahaha. You're right, Phasma. But to settle is to become complacent. And complacency breeds fat beer-guts. There's always room for improvement. smile.gif
Ancient History
Speaking of which: coming in November! Update through Dragons of the Sixth World, and two new requested files.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012