Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book Review: Vurt
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fix-it
So I just finished reading Vurt by Jeff Noon, and thought I'd offer a small review,

'aight hereitgoes:

This book is Cyberpunk with a different spin. All the technology aspects that make up cyberpunk are beyond the scope of the story. The author takes the quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and runs with it.

that being said, let's cover the Four Base Topics of All Cyberpunk:

DRUGS: Yes, heavily. This is blended a lot with the technology side. Think BTLs.

SEX: er... yeah. the main character likes his Sister. A lot. Also some animal stuff.

VIOLENCE: Present, although not the main vein of the story, and none of the characters are really warrior types. The story really scrapes the bottom of the barrel, no heavy ordanance comes into play.

TECHNOLOGY: the story is covered from the main character's viewpoint, and as a very uneducated young drug-head, it's as good as magic.

Verdict: Engineering Students Make Bad Book Reviewers.

Reccomended, at least for the alternate view. I ended up enjoying the story, and will probably read it again. It offers a good perspective for SR4, as the matrix is everywhere, and parallels with magic pretty well. What you get out of this book is up to you really.
An interesting spin on cyberpunk, it might be what you get if you took william gibson + LSD + A Feather Pillow.
zephir
Ordered it, thanks for the review.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012