Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latent Awakening...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Konsaki
Ok, I just got my Street Magic book in today and I'm just reading though it to kill time on the weekend. I'm liking what I'm reading so far, it's good stuff.
One thing I came across that interests me though is the Latent Awakening quality. In the first paragraph it rambles off that you cant have any magical ability at Char Gen and whatnot... What the hell, let me quote it...

A character who takes the Latent Awakening quality starts the game as a mundane but may Awaken later and become magically active. At the start of the game, the character does not possess a Magic attribute and may not invest BPs in magical skills, spells, or bound spirits. The character may not have the Adept, Astral Sight, Magician, Mystic Adept, or Spell/Spirit Knack quality.

Based off that, you can take a Technomancer, which is already a huge karma sink, and make it magically active during gameplay, thus making her the greatest karma sink in the entire universe! vegm.gif

And yes, I do know that you cant actually do that. It's just interesting that they left a legal loophole that a rules nazi can try and exploit... though I dont know why they would. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I thought it was an interesting idea. I've ran a game where a character awakened (female character during Hq'sB on the isle, seemed appropriate), and it was interesting watching her try to develop the character, especially since thecharacter had a ton of cyber, including a cyber arm.

Has anyone used this yet?

Konsaki:I think there's a foot note in there directing the GM to ritually sacrifice anyone that suggests this to the DarkKing/Deus totem.
Konsaki
I agree with you that the quality is a grand RP tool on developing a character.
I was just poking some fun at making the greatest karma sink ever. biggrin.gif

For a second I actually belived you and looked in a few pages looking for that footnote, you kidder you. nyahnyah.gif
Garrowolf
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Based off that, you can take a Technomancer, which is already a huge karma sink, and make it magically active during gameplay, thus making her the greatest karma sink in the entire universe! vegm.gif

And yes, I do know that you cant actually do that. It's just interesting that they left a legal loophole that a rules nazi can try and exploit... though I dont know why they would. nyahnyah.gif

I don't understand. There isn't a loop hole here. It already says in the core book that you can't have both Resonance and magic. They don't need to restate this.

On the latent awakening front I don't allow it. You can buy a point of magic and then say that it is latent but you can't just decide that your already powerful character suddenly develops magic. It seems like too much cheese for me.
Konsaki
Yet they make a point to restate it in the Spell/Spirit Knack and Astral Sight quality.

As for your not using it, thats your own thing. I personally think it would be a great way to bring a character back to life if it becomes stagnant or just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix.
Mistwalker
Way back when, I had a campaign arc that included Harly 2 module, and as a reward, one char who's backstory was that he was a mage, but got experimented on/turned into a 0.05 essence char, had all the cyberware flow out of his skin, replaced with brand new, as good as original, parts.

Char had all the skills and experience of a street sam, but now had to learn all the mage skills now.
biggrin.gif

It was priceless to watch the player's face when several million worth of cyberware flowed out of his char. From creation, his char had complained and lamented about the loss if his magic.

Before anyone jumps all over me for railroading a player, I did offer to have a "reality shift" happen, and he not lose his cyber. He declined.
Konsaki
That had to have been one happy player, Mist and it truly had to be a scene to behold for everyone involved. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Garrowolf: I think he's just toying with the idea that it isn't specifically stated.
QUOTE (Konsaki)
I was just poking some fun at making the greatest karma sink ever. 

it wouldn't apply because it states that it doesn't work (magic and resonance) in the corebook, like you pointed out. But they're usually pretty careful about reiterating, which I think is waht Konsaki was getting at.

bring a character back to life if it becomes stagnant or just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

I prefer monkey wrench myself. Sam Verner/Twist comes to mind

For a second I actually belived you and looked in a few pages looking for that footnote, you kidder you. 

Who's kidding? That's what it says in my book. Bottom of the book. Maybe you got a later print?

biggrin.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Who's kidding? That's what it says in my book. Bottom of the book. Maybe you got a later print?

biggrin.gif

is it handwritten, by any chance? biggrin.gif
Konsaki
Either that or Fist has the 'Hallucinations' Neg Qual. biggrin.gif
toturi
Check the descriptors of the Positive Qualities that Latent Awakening can lead to. They all state that someone with the Technomancer Quality cannot take them. But remember the thread where some of the official writers said that in roder to take Incompetence, there should be a possibility to take the skill? Now, there is a possibility for a Technomancer to take Incomp: Magical Skills and be justified, because it is a possibility that he may lose his Resonance and Awaken and actually find a use for those skills.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (toturi)
Check the descriptors of the Positive Qualities that Latent Awakening can lead to. They all state that someone with the Technomancer Quality cannot take them. But remember the thread where some of the official writers said that in roder to take Incompetence, there should be a possibility to take the skill? Now, there is a possibility for a Technomancer to take Incomp: Magical Skills and be justified, because it is a possibility that he may lose his Resonance and Awaken and actually find a use for those skills.

Which makes Latent Awakening a scarily cool contingency quality, especially if your games tend to be the really long term keep the same characters forever type...
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
...you can't just decide that your already powerful character suddenly develops magic. It seems like too much cheese for me.

The RAW agrees with you!

QUOTE (Street Magic p25)
At some point during gameplay, the gamemaster may decide that the character Awakens. This decision is completely in the gamemaster’s hands... It should not be viewed as a get-badass-quick power boost.

The player doesn't get to choose if or when. It's a 5BP gamble.

I'm glad that the RAW frowns on players thinking of ways to get me rotfl.gif
toturi
It should not be, but now it is. With 35pts or Negative Qualiteis in Incompetent: Magical Skills and 5 points of Positive, if the GM chooses ANYTHING other than the 5BP Positives, he gains the excess BPs although he might not be able to use most of the abilities, if not, he does not lose anything.

Latent Awakening with Resonance + Incomp: Magic Skills is a get-bass-quick power boost.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi)
It should not be, but now it is. With 35pts or Negative Qualiteis in Incompetent: Magical Skills and 5 points of Positive, if the GM chooses ANYTHING other than the 5BP Positives, he gains the excess BPs although he might not be able to use most of the abilities, if not, he does not lose anything.

Latent Awakening with Resonance + Incomp: Magic Skills is a get-bass-quick power boost.

Unless the GM decides to Awaken the character and eliminate its Resonance as a result, thus rendering the character double-plus-useless.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (toturi)

Who is this bass guy?

So the GM fixes his bass by awakening him in the middle of a run. He loses his resonance, gains magic, and is suddenly a completely incompetent magician.
Synner
QUOTE (Konsaki)
One thing I came across that interests me though is the Latent Awakening quality. In the first paragraph it rambles off that you cant have any magical ability at Char Gen and whatnot... What the hell, let me quote it...

This will be corrected in the upcoming errata. The revised writeup will exclude Technomancers too.
toturi
Not quite. Sure, the GM can do that. Just as the GM can have an space cow fall from the sky.

But
A character with a Resonance of 1 or higher cannot possess a Magic Attribute, and vice versa.

So the PC's Resonance suppresses the Awakening, until such time that there is no Resonance Attribute. The GM could say that since he decides that the PC Awakens, the Magic Attribute that he chooses to give the PC (despite the ruels saying that the PC cannot have one) causes a Resonance loss. But from the letter of the rules, I would take it to mean that once you have a Resonance stat, you cannot get a Magic stat. To turn the example around, it would also mean that if you have a Magic stat, you cannot be "Resonanced".

This will be corrected in the upcoming errata. The revised writeup will exclude Technomancers too.

Good to know. But shouldn't this have been caught before printing?
PlatonicPimp
Some people have already hinted around it, but if a TM in my group did take this edge, my thinking would be that the new magic rating replaces the resonance score.

Anyway, Since the erratta is gonna kill the hole it hardle matters.
toturi
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Some people have already hinted around it, but if a TM in my group did take this edge, my thinking would be that the new magic rating replaces the resonance score.

Anyway, Since the erratta is gonna kill the hole it hardle matters.

The point was that by the letter of the rules, the Resonance Attribute and Technomancer Positive Quality suppresses the Magic Attribute and keeps the Latent Awakening latent. It even fits as an IC explanation.
mfb
QUOTE (Synner)

what? they're getting rid of Technomancers? SUCCESS!
Konsaki
[Sends a sprite to mfb's commlink to corrupt his datafiles] devil.gif
Synner
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 19 2006, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Synner)

Nah. Little chance of that, especially after we've just written a campaign/setting book around technomancers (and a few other surprises) and are giving them a fair slice of Unwired. nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 19 2006, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Synner)

Nah. Little chance of that, especially after we've just written a campaign/setting book around technomancers (and a few other surprises) and are giving them a fair slice of Unwired. nyahnyah.gif

Information just wants to be free... Please share more, Synner. frown.gif
Kremlin KOA
Is the new module Entitles "The Wesley Crusher adventure book"?

it probably should be if it is about TMs
emo samurai
Does it give new TM powers? Is it part sourcebook?
Synner
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Nov 19 2006, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Nov 20 2006, 01:14 AM)

Information just wants to be free... Please share more, Synner. frown.gif

I was breaking news, this has been up for a while now.

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Does it give new TM powers? Is it part sourcebook?

Emergence is a campaign/setting book which follows the events that take place during the troubled year of 2070. It addresses the social and shadow ramifications of the public emergence of technomancers and the sudden awareness of their existence and powers by society at large (when circumstances conspire to taint events and public opinion).

QUOTE (FanPro product sellsheet)
EMERGENCE
The Crash of 2064 ruined the lives of millions. Some died in the Matrix or went insane, many lost everything they owned, and still others found their identities completely erased. But a small percentage were changed into something altogether different, with the strange and inexplicable ability to affect the new Matrix with their minds. Now, in 2070, the existence of these technomancers becomes front-page news, leading to widespread paranoia and withchunts. The Emergence campaign setting involves the runners in a series of pivotal events that may change the way they view the world and the Matrix—and each other.

• The first full-length campaign scenario for Shadowrun, Fourth Edition.
• Provides background and details on technomancers -- a new and unique character type introduced in SR4.
• Follows in the steps of previous Shadowrun Matrix campaigns like System Failure, Brainscan, and Renraku Arcology: Shutdown.
• Features dozens of new adventure frameworks and plot hooks for all types of shadowrunners and campaigns.

Of course, if you think the sell-sheet tells it all you're going to be seriously surprised, as the book has several major twists that I am not at liberty to discuss. It's safe to say though, that by the end of 2070, the inhabitants of the Sixth World will never look at the Matrix or themselves in the same way again.

Emergence will not feature or require new rules, and it will boast a format similar to books like System Failure and Year of the Comet (a mix of fiction and setting game information with adventure frameworks and GM suggestions on grounding events in your own game).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012