Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sample characters?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
scapegoat
hey would you guys be so kind to post some sample characters sheets.
Konsaki
Umm... Er... What?
If you want sample characters, go look through the 'Welcome to the Shadows' forum and search out some recruiting threads.
If you want charsheets, either search for Mintcar or look in the 'Community Projects' forum.

Search-Fu is your friend...
Grinder
Or a BBB. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Look at my character thread.
Glyph
Here's one character that I did. I probably won't play him. His background turned out self-consistent and detailed, and he had useful skills, but he still didn't click for me, personally, as a PC, for some reason. So here's the SR4 version of Haze, for use as a PC or NPC by anyone who wants to:

[ Spoiler ]
domino10
why not think of a name and base a history on the name because sometimes there speciality can come with there history, if not then make a look for that character and then try and find a speciality that suits the look... thats how i done it any way... hope it helps
Wakshaani
Do you want 400 point standards, 320 point rookies, or 480 point Prime Runners?
scapegoat
standard 400 bp points would do nicely.
eidolon
Here are some threads with characters posted to them. These were found doing a search for "character" limited to the SR4 thread but set to "any date". Just fyi, most character posts around here have titles like "(name)'s dedicated character page" or "character critique" or something of the like.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...character&st=25

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...11&hl=character

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...90&hl=character

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...58&hl=character

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13863&hl= (interesting "non-standard" build)

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=14087&hl=

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13854&hl=

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13853&hl=

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13615&hl=

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13831&hl=

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13777&hl=

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=13424&hl=

These were pulled from the first five pages, there were 61 in all. A more specific search would probably narrow that down a little bit.

Hope that helps.
BishopMcQ
Also, if you are simply looking for NPCs, the Missions downloads from SRRPG.com have 4-10 new NPCs per Mission.
scapegoat
naw i am not looking for npcs that would be cheating i wanted to compare my character sheets to others to see where i could improve and to verify that i was making a character right. thought it might have been more useful if i had posted a character sheet and ask did i do this right, but that would have been intelligent. thanks for the help!
Fortune
QUOTE (scapegoat)
... it might have been more useful if i had posted a character sheet and ask did i do this right, but that would have been intelligent.

It's still not too late. wink.gif
Glyph
Yeah, posting a character would be the best way to go. You'll get a lot of opinions that way - keep in mind that many posters will have radically different ideas on what the "right" way to do a character is. biggrin.gif

You will still get a lot of useful advice, though, on things like missing or redundant skills, numbers that don't jive with the character's background, and so on.
Wakshaani
Heck, while we're waiting, might as well fill up time with something specific.

I'm trying to cobble together a "Human Mercenary" type, thick on skills, not so much on cyberware (Some is okay, but nothing outrageous) ... basicly, something like Matador (RIP) or his protege.

Something, essentially, like this:

http://www.pistolpetechecklist.com/villain...cenaryfront.jpg

The kind that you'd hire to train yoru soldiers or lead them to battle, rather than just a mook with a gun. Has to have good planning skills, probably a good set of influence skills (Instruction and Leadership, natch, maybe Intimidate and Etiquette, plus Negotiation?) ... Probably has some basic tech skills but nothing like a motor pool type or electronic warfare officer would have.

Every time I try it, I wind up getting something like 260 points of skills, so I know I'm messing up somewhere. Getting a new look at it would be nice.
ElFenrir
To answer the post above, im also working on a character thats a bit heavy on the skills...a samurai, but an ex hacker-type that sort of fried himself a bit with an old BTL addiction...lowered Willpower and some Negative qualities to reflect that, but after he had turned around, developed a real professional air...lots of social skills in there, but some some good hoop-kicking skills as well, being a sam and all. I always end up going overboard on skills for him, as he still has some hacking skills from the past, and Stealth and Social skills nowadays. Between them and ware, it REALLY runs thin.

Ill post him soon, but for your merc...it might also work for him to go Skill Groups...thats the road im taking. It might sound low, but a Skill Group of 2 is actually pretty good...its a touch of everything there. A group of 3 is realy good. If you want him to have a touch of some tech skills, you could always just drop a 1 into a few of them. It means hes had some dealings at wany rate.

If your tough merc guy is light on the cyber, you might be able to save BP from that, just giving him enough Resources for some weapons, lifestyle, and the like, luckily ware is pretty cheap now, and by the sound of your fellow, the ware you want for him isnt all that much anyway.

Basically, i take down the skills that are most important for the character first, then after allocating them, add others that youd like, and sort of play from there. Some folks can be pretty damn effective having a wide range of skills, even if they arent the supreme master of them.
scapegoat
edit for mistakes
so here is my character. sorry it took so long.

elf
Strenght : 1(2)
Body : 2(3)
Agility : 5(10)
willpower:3
Reaction : 5(9)
Logic : 4
Intuition : 4
Charisma : 3

Edge : 1
Essence : .05(is there any crazy affect against me because of this?)

Skills

longarms 5(sniper rifles +2)
hacking 4
pilot g. 4
pilot w. 4
pilot a.3
pilot air 3
computer group 4
cybercombat 4
gymnastics 4
E.warfare 4
stealth group 1
gunnery 4
armour 2

cyber/bioware

sleep regulater
suprathyroid gland
control rig
data jack
reation enhancerslvl1
muscle toner lvl 4
wired reflexeslvl 2

Commlink

custom built responce:6 fire:6 system:6 signal:5 with sim madual w/mode for ar

programs:Anylaze 4,broswe 6, command 6,reality filter 6, scan 6, amour 4, attack 4, biofilters 4, blackout 4, black hammer 4, decrypt 4,defence 4, eccm 4, exploit 4, medic 4, sniffer 4, spoof 4, stealth 4, tracker 4, clearsoft 4, manuver 4, e.warefare 4, targeting 4, defence4

Equipment

chameleon suit w/ helmet
ranger arm sm-4
400xapds(for drones too)

drones
4xmct-nissan roto-drone(2x ak-97)(2xwalther ma-2100)
1xMct fly-bot
Contacts

negative qualites
bad luck
mild add. kamkazi
mild add. cram

Fixer (1/3)
weapons dealer (1/2)
drones and accessories (1/3)
Mikado
First: Alot of your gear is out of reach for starting characters.
Starting characters are limited to availability 12 gear.

Suprathyroid Gland is availability 20
Muscle Toner is 5 x level availability which would be availability 20
Reaction Enhancers are not given a level but from the look of your attributes I think they are lev 3. Availability is 5 x lev making level 3 availability 15
though they could be lev 1 because you have:
Wired Reflexes is not given a level but looking at your attributes I would think its only lev 1, you cant start with rating 3 because its availability 20
Ranger arms SM-4 is availability 16
400 rnds of APDS?!?! WOW, can you say small war, your using a sniper rifle how many shots will you need to take? Still APDS is availability 16

And on to the rest of the character.
strength of 1 makes this character a pushover
Body of 2 gives him a damage track of only 9 which could be harsh
Agility (for a human) is limited to an augmented max of 9
Where is his willpower? if you have not allocated points to it leaves it at 1 and is more of a problem than a low strength

Edge (if human) would be 2 since humans get +1 edge to start (not that is matters but its better to write down all bonuses so you remember them)
An essence of .05 by RAW is not a problem but SR3 (not that is has any bearing here) had penalties for low essence, its only a matter of time before Augmented comes out and it could bring back some of those rules.

I'm not sure what you mean by computer group could be electronics group.
If you mean the Cracking group you already took the 3 skills in the group; Cybercombat, E. Warfare and Hacking.
This is shadowrun: raised your stealth... alot
On a personal note, why would an obvious sniper/rigger have a gymnastics skill
scapegoat
oh damn my character is a little missed up...time to go back to the bbb. and the computer group has the simple computer skills none of the hacking stuff dont have the book with me so cant give the exact name. also for the gymnastic i was goin to use that for dodge and for helping me get up to places
Hound
QUOTE (Mikado)

Starting characters are limited to availability 12 gear.

Man you miss one rule and it throws off the whole char. It all makes so much sense now. Scape your character is so owned. (he and I play together IRL)

I found her too, btw her will says "3(1)" I dunno what you meant with that (1)...
Mikado
The computer group you state would be the electronics group and has: computer, data search, hardware and software skills.
You should also condense your cybercombat, E. Warfare and hacking into Cracking group and save some points.
As for gymnastics, your use is fine. The GM side of me came out and questioned it is all.
I, personally, would drop most of those skills by one (perhaps dropping a pilot skill as well) and then buy a few additional skills to make the character more well rounded.
Your missing a MAJOR (in my opinion) skill, Perception.
Also, you have no pistol skill, you cant always bring a rifle with you. Or what happens when an enemy closes in, you don't have a hand to hand skill (not that you need one but its wise to have)
You don't has any charisma skills: etiquette, negotiations, con.
I'll leave it at that till you post an updated character.
Hound
QUOTE (Mikado)

I, personally, would drop most of those skills by one (perhaps dropping a pilot skill as well) and then buy a few additional skills to make the character more well rounded.

THank you! That's what I've been sayin' all along! Man, Mikado I'm basically gonna quote you in just about every SR arguement from now on, is that okay?
Glyph
I don't know about that. If anything, he's spread a bit thin, skill-wise, trying to be a sniper, decker, and rigger. In SR4, it is very easy to overgeneralize to the point of uselessness. He does need the skills that Mikado mentioned, though - perception, etiquette, and some kind of up-close combat skill. He might want to re-think his entire character concept, or at least drop one of the roles that he is trying to fill.
Hound
Yeah he flips out about his character's spread-thin-ness just about every time we play... But seems unwilling to let any particular part go.
Mikado
I'll agree with Glyph in that over-generalization is a bad thing.
However, I didn't say over-generalization, I said well-rounded. They are not the same thing.
IMO every character should have these skills: (feel free to disagree)
Athletics group Yes, the whole group because defaulting on these skills is just plain nuts. You only need it at rating 1 so its only 10bp and well worth it for its cost.
Influence group You don't need the whole group just etiquette and negotiations but at that point you already spent 8bp so you might as well spend 2 more to get the group. Again, you need these (etiquette and negotiations) because defaulting to them is nuts.
Long Range Attack Skill Pistols, rifles, bows/crossbows, throwing (knives, grenades, whatever) because sometimes your opponent is far away and you need something while closing that distance. (or to keep that distance if they are trying to get to you) You only need this at one for 4 bp and you can get 2 more dice by specializing for only +2bp
Close Combat Skill Because sometimes your opponent gets to you and for 4bp you get two more dice to avoid getting killed. You could also specialize in parrying/blocking for +2bp and get 2 more dice.
Infiltration Not being seen can be the biggest life-saver for any runner and a skill I suggest getting higher than one to start. Rating 3 is a good baseline for 12bp.
PerceptionAs stealth can be a life-saver so can spotting danger before it spots you. And like stealth rating 3 is a good baseline to start for 12bp.

After these skills you have your character focus skills. The hacker has his skill group, the face focuses on the influence group, mages and technomancers have two skill groups to get (which gets expensive quick), the adept and sammy just focus on one of the close combat and long range skills above, riggers have their pilot skills and gunnery.
Your focus skill (group) should be atleast a four, five tops. Above that and IMO your waisting points, its better to specialize after that. I know most everyone will disagree with that statement but at rating 4 your considered a veteran and at 5 your an expert.

Then you have your secondary skills, mechanic skills, armorer, demolitions (could be a focus skill), first aid, hardware (should be a focus for someone in the group) and others.

Characters should have one or two things they focus on after that your spreading yourself thin. Above rating 5 you get into an area where cost prohibitive in both time and resources.
Mikado
I found her too, btw her will says "3(1)" I dunno what you meant with that (1)...

Wow! I know now why I missed it... I'm used to reading the attributes in a particular order, his willpower was up by the physical attributes and not at the bottom where I am used to seeing it. Guess I'll need to pay more attention next time. Sorry about that. A 3 willpower is good for a non mage/technomancer/hacker.

Thank you! That's what I've been sayin' all along! Man, Mikado I'm basically gonna quote you in just about every SR arguement from now on, is that okay?

I'm ok with that, some on the board would disagree with my viewpoints though.
Personally, I like well-rounded, moderately focused characters better than one-trick-ponies. I find they are much more enjoyable to play both from a player perspective and from a GM balance standpoint.

My current character does not roll more than 10 dice (including attribute) for any test other than his focus which he rolls 7 dice (4 skill + 1 shielding +2 shielding focus) plus attribute (which can vary since his focus is counter-spelling) plus 4 dice for combat spells from specialization and mentor spirit bonuses and I have survived just fine. Well, I did get torched to overflow twice from fire elementals, but they don't like me to much.
In fact, I'm pretty sure no one in my group rolls more than 16 dice for any test after all bonuses. Yes, our characters are built on 400bp but they are designed for a moderate power level. Some would see this as a weakness in our game but I look at some of the characters on this board and say "POWERGAMER, MUNCHKIN"

Let the orbital-bombardment flame-strikes commence for saying that.
ElFenrir
Ok, lets see here....definately some good advice, and ill see if i can give some advice. SR is a game where you could very well make a character that is spread a little bit around and still be useful...

longarms 5(sniper rifles +2)
hacking 4
pilot g. 4
pilot w. 4
pilot a.3
pilot air 3
computer group 4
cybercombat 4
gymnastics 4
E.warfare 4
stealth group 1
gunnery 4
armour 2

Ok, spread thin as is. One could either take Mikado's suggestion and drop the skills a bit to purchase a few other skills...i might suggest Blades(Swords) of 2(+2) for 10 BP, a Perception(Visual)2(+2) of 10 BP, and an Etiquette of around 2 for 8 BP. This could require about 28 BP, which you could get from dropping the Pilot Aerospace/Anthroform, whichever the Pilot(a) is(12BP), drop down Computer group to 3(10 BP), Cybercombat to 3(4BP), and maybe Pilot Water to 3(4BP), saving 30 BP. You can then use that 2 BP to specialize in a type of Etiquette or maybe Vehicle Mounted for your Armorer skill.

If your GM doesn't play by availability(we never did and never had a broken game, but it depends on the players, for 12 years our games have been just gravy grinbig.gif ) your gear is fine. If they do, tho, drop the Suprathyroid, drop the Toner down a couple levels.

Doing that, you free up about 60,000(suprathyroid plus 2 Muscle Toner levels) nuyen, or12 BP. Use 10 of them to boost Body by i to 3, once you lose that suprathyroid. You might want to boost Strength as well, a str of 2(3) will give an extra point of melee damage which could help, if you can dig up 8 more BPs, which shouldnt be too hard...but its not that important, more of a 'nice thing to have'. But id say getting Body to 3 is a little more important statwise.

Choice of a Stealth Group spread around or a Infiltrate of a higher skill is your choice. I really like the Stealth group, but i think its to taste and character function...some types function well as stealth generalists. Infiltration is Agility, and even at a 1, and your agility dropped to 7, he still gets eight dice, which is damn good.

Of course, your other option could be do make a straight sniper/rigger or sniper/hacker instead, freeing up a lot more points and making them really good at the two things. That is very possible, ive seen samurai/hacker combos, mage/face combos, mage/swordman combos, two things are very feasible and strong! Three is spread a bit thinner...but still doable with some work.

Dont owrry, im not trying to remake your character. Just a few friendly suggestions. smile.gif When i first started designing chars for SR4 a year ago, i had a skill allocation issue, that only got fixed by experience and outside help grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012