Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware, essence, magic loss and geasa
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jérémie
I have a sudden doubt about this, it's kind of a stupid question but...

In SR4, can a Awakened character still use a geas to overcome a Magic loss by a loss of Essence (for example because of implants) ?

It doesn't seems like it, but still...
Butterblume
No, he can't.

Which is a good thing, in my opinion.
Chandon
The changes on cyberware and magic from SR3 to SR4 have really decreased the utility of a spellcaster with a touch of cyber. I don't know if that's objectively bad or not, but if I were in the development meetings I would have said "We need to be careful, that's a big change in the game world" a lot of times.

In SR3, there was a large advantage for a mage who took 1 essence worth of cyberware. They could get a datajack, a chipjack, and a smartlink - and if they wanted to they could take a geas to offset the essence loss. Additionally, the way character generation worked you didn't have to pay for that point of Magic you were losing.

In SR4, there is almost no mechanical advantage to the datajack, chipjack, or cybernetic smartlink - you can get all those effects through non-invasive means. In addition, you can't offset magic loss with geasa either.

The sum effect is the same - my mage will be able to have a DNI (through trodes), have a smartlinked gun, and use linguasofts and knowsofts all without losing any magical ability. The big difference is flavor, and I liked the SR3 flavor of "having a little bit of cyberware is a good idea for everyone". Cyberware is one of the key elements in the game world, and in SR4 it's basically become obsolete.

Hopefully Augmentation and Unwired will make it meaningful again - even to the extent that there's some benifit for a mage to get some implants rather than just being able to say "Well, I've got magic. Tech is something that other character classes are stuck with."

(Postscript - that was an interesting rant... I'm not sure if it has anything to do with anything.)
Jaid
QUOTE (Chandon)
I liked the SR3 flavor of "having a little bit of cyberware is a good idea for everyone". Cyberware is one of the key elements in the game world, and in SR4 it's basically become obsolete.

Hopefully Augmentation and Unwired will make it meaningful again - even to the extent that there's some benifit for a mage to get some implants rather than just being able to say "Well, I've got magic. Tech is something that other character classes are stuck with."

(Postscript - that was an interesting rant... I'm not sure if it has anything to do with anything.)

it's still there. just the specific type of 'ware has changed.

now everyone wants synaptic boosters, logic based casters want cerebral boosters, skillwires are handy to have around, and sleep regulators are popular too.

so the (lightly) cybered mage is still wortwhile. you just go about it in a different way.
Penta
Wait. What the heck replaces the chipjack, either cyberwise or otherwise?

And what's the datajack do in SR4, anyway?
ixombie
The datajack replaces the chipjack, it can read chips.

A datajack lets you directly interface with any device, while trodes only interface with a sim module. So while you can use your commlink to control any device using either datajack or trodes, only a datajack can interface directly with something without a sim module.
Fortune
Bring back the Trauma Damper!
ElFenrir
Im think with some supplements the idea of a mage with a bit of cyber will come back. I mean think back in the day, when only the core rules of SR1 or whatever was out, before geasa, the only way to offset magic loss was the power focus.

Which you could still do, since the power focus adds dice to all magic related tests, which youd lose a bit with cyber. Adepts with a bit of cyber are pretty damned intense...physical stat upping bioware costs a bit of nuyen(but nothing like before), and hardly any essence. The point sacrificed isnt that substantial even, with adept powers cheap and no one really using the Adepts increased Attribute ability. (Im sure this is a reason why the wishes for Adept nerfing in this new system. A bit off topic: is it just me, or do Adepts seem to fluctuate between 'worthless' and 'broken' between editions? Well, to the general consensus..i dont have a problem with them, tho i think the 2e adept had some harsh issues to make it a bit of a pain to play.)

Mages too, if magic is maxed, can benefit still from bioware. The toughest part though is coming up with the nuyen for the bioware, with the points already spread pretty well out. a 5 magic is still pretty good, hermetics can benefit from Logic upping, and combat mages can benefit from a couple levels of muscle augmentation and or/toner.

But yeah, in the future, we may see something like the geasa come back. I thought they were pretty cool but they seemed to be on shaky ground with some folks(either liked them or didnt like them...even as I GM i didnt mind them so i guess im in that school)
PlatonicPimp
by the current rules, there is no way to offset magic loss from essence loss. And I think that's a good thing. Essence loss should be painful for a caster, not just inconvienent.

However, I am working on a house rule that allows a character who has lost a point of magic under the Street magic burnout rules (P. 30), to get cyberware instead of a geasa. It would work like this: If the character loses enough essence to reduce their magic by a point, then it ends the crisis of confidence. The point of magic lost from the crisis of confidence goes away, but the mage still loses a point of magic from the essence loss.

The spirit of the rule would be that the magic loss due to the crisis of confidence is a kind of "magic Hole" so that when they take the cyberware, the don't lose any more magic but make the earlier magic loss permanent. This way a mage who has already lost some magic to some other effect like stim patches might take cyberware to compensate for thier lost magic. The old Burnout mage archetype from 1st edition was based on something like that.

Still working on the wording though. It's just another flavor rule to be added.

Incidentally, nothing prevents a cybernetic part from being a focus. I've always been a fan of making your cyberhand a power focus in order to make up for the essence loss from it. I don't think you could enchant bioware, but machine parts in your body is well within limits. My Mad scientist character is based around it.
Chandon
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
hermetics can benefit from Logic upping, and combat mages can benefit from a couple levels of muscle augmentation and or/toner.

So... you're going to trade a point of Magic (which you roll on all conjuring and spellcasting skill tests - and which limits the maximum size of spirts you can conjure) for a maximum of two points of drain resistance. Bad deal. Compare what you could have done with Foci for the same number of build points. Same with Muscle Aug / Toner.
kzt
QUOTE (Chandon)
So... you're going to trade a point of Magic (which you roll on all conjuring and spellcasting skill tests - and which limits the maximum size of spirts you can conjure) for a maximum of two points of drain resistance. Bad deal.

No, but I will for adding two initiative passes with synaptic booster 2.
ElFenrir
So... you're going to trade a point of Magic (which you roll on all conjuring and spellcasting skill tests - and which limits the maximum size of spirts you can conjure) for a maximum of two points of drain resistance. Bad deal. Compare what you could have done with Foci for the same number of build points. Same with Muscle Aug / Toner.

Well, i dunno if id personally go for the Logic upping, but the muscle aug/toner for a combat mage, i probably would. Augmentations might hinder the drain, etc a bit...but if you want the magic/combat balance, i think its worth a point...force 4 or 5 is still intense and you can overcast now. Also, augmentations dont have that pesky problem of leaving signatures, getting stolen, blown up, etc, unless you do. Each method has its benefits and hinderances....also, above combat mage is a little bit better out of the box,(speaking of combat-mages here, not pure spellcaster types) if you dont anticipate a long campaign to earn gobs of money and karma for the foci. In the long run, the focus-mage would outdo them in that respect...but it would take a little while, and it wouldnt be good for them to keep the foci active all the time. (Augmentations are a bit cheaper overall it seems in BP cost than the BP necessary for purchasing and binding foci...unless Im confusing the editions in my head, which happens.)

No, but I will for adding two initiative passes with synaptic booster 2.

Like i said, mages with little bit o ware, not so bad. grinbig.gif Just depends what you want. I certainly wouldnt cyber every mage i played. I do admit old versions,i personally saw at least half the mages out of the box with some cyber, and then more that added it later.
Chandon
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
(Augmentations are a bit cheaper overall it seems in BP cost than the BP necessary for purchasing and binding foci...unless Im confusing the editions in my head, which happens.

Remember to keep track of the 10BP that the point of Magic you're losing cost you.

As for synaptic booster, increase reflexes foci are pretty damn cheap compared to 80,000 nuyen/level.
kzt
QUOTE (Chandon)
As for synaptic booster, increase reflexes foci are pretty damn cheap compared to 80,000 nuyen/level.

As long as you don't plan on ever walking through wards and don't mind anyone glancing at you astrally knowing that you have a sustained spell running. And while you can hid it from casual observation with extended masking, I don't have many characters that are grade 3 initiates, and it still doesn't seem to help with wards.

My characters like to go into places where they don't let people carrying guns or with active spells in. And I prefer to have them spend the first turn of a combat attacking 3 people rather than casting one spell and hoping that they are still alive to act next turn.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
by the current rules, there is no way to offset magic loss from essence loss. And I think that's a good thing. Essence loss should be painful for a caster, not just inconvienent.

True to an extent, but, since Magic is currently uncapped, it's a speed bump, not a wall. With the cost of attribute raising so low, you can "Ride the lightning" down quite a few steps before charging your magic back up again. Every Initiate Grade pushes your Magic higher and higher.

Now, if you add in a Hard Cap...
ElFenrir
As long as you don't plan on ever walking through wards and don't mind anyone glancing at you astrally knowing that you have a sustained spell running. And while you can hid it from casual observation with extended masking, I don't have many characters that are grade 3 initiates, and it still doesn't seem to help with wards.

This is the way im sort of thinking....im not necessarily thinking 'pure power' method, where just saving for the foci indeed would be a better idea. There are alot of advantages the foci have(once you buy the foci, you can bond it with an overcast spell to get maximum hits, etc), but when it comes to magical subtlety...your mage can start to look like a walking astral Christmas tree.

And i dont recall each rule..but do they still have the rules for Focus burnout? (i have played a shaman a few sessions with new system, but not with foci, so im a bit unfamiliar here.) That was one extra reason in the older editions that made one want to be careful of foci.

Remember to keep track of the 10BP that the point of Magic you're losing cost you.

The ware, perhaps(i did factor in the 10 BP...but again, i was thinking more combat-mage type(or, hell, a mage crossed with something or other that doesnt always have to rely on magic) who doesn't always need to rely on a magic of 6, and can survive with around a 4 before initation. I do see what you are saying though, dont get me wrong.

But, overall, I think Yes, Foci would be most magically beneficial for the mage. Cost? Well, judging by the cost of foci with points and BP, its about equal...cyber? Rating 2Muscle Toner + Rating 2 Muscle Augmentation= 30,000 nuyen, or 6 BP, plus ill add the 10 BP for getting magic up to 5 to compensate for loss. Total: 16 BP.
Sustaining Focus for Increase Strength and Increase Agility, force 2 each: 20,000 each(40,000, 8 BP), and 4 BP each to bind them(8 BP) is....16 BP, equal cost...with the trade of Focus Mage having more raw power and the Cyber Mage having subtlety and has less trinkets to worry about.

Granted, the Synaptic Booster cost is significantly higher...but the benefits granted by that thing are of course, extreme.

I still think though, Adepts with a bit of cyber can be extremely scary.

True to an extent, but, since Magic is currently uncapped, it's a speed bump, not a wall. With the cost of attribute raising so low, you can "Ride the lightning" down quite a few steps before charging your magic back up again. Every Initiate Grade pushes your Magic higher and higher.

Id be a bit wary of adding a Magic hardcap. I already have a bit of a problem with the ol' ''the legendary runners aint so legendary no more'' syndrome you get with the skill hardcap, putting one on magic would then sort of destroy the chances of getting that legendary mage status, unless you capped it really high.

Or, could always adjust Initation karma costs...up to a certain point it costs book costs, after a certain point, just jack the costs up each level to make the mages really have to work for those legendary levels, but make it possible(im sort of considering implementing something like this for the current skill hardcap...make it hard, make it rare, but make it possible.)
Faelan
Personally I capped Initiate Grades at 15 (tip of the hat to Earthdawn). This helps prevent Mages and Adepts from being the end all be all of shadowrun. I also implement rather harsh ordeals/quests in order to initiate to the next grade, becoming more and more severe as you go up. Also I jacked up the skill hardcap to 10. Combined it adds plenty of room for PC advancement, of course the cost of raising skills above 6 went up.
Well it works for me. As far as geasa to cancel essence, never liked it. Once you go down the dark side...
lorechaser
It's definitely a debate, and one I imagine would happen among mages in the Sixth World.

Hell, there are probably week long symposiums: "To Cyber, or Not To Cyber. Purity and Sacrifice in the Modern World."

Personally, I prefer Synaptic Boosters over foci (I typically play Adepts/Mystic Adepts, not full mages).

My reasons:

1. Synaptics are always on, and don't trigger magical wards, alarms, etc. They do register on a cyberwear scan, but they're only restricted, so you can get a license.

2. Foci are limited. I don't want to use up my foci spot binding increased reflexes. I'd rather have a power focus, or something like combat sense, that can't be replicated.

3. Focus addiction.

4. Can't be dispelled, and continue to work in a null magic zone. I like to have a mix of power sources. That's why when my party hit the null magic zone, my gunslinger mystic adept was still fairly useful. Her adept powers shut down, but her cyberware kept going. Compare to the mage and the phys adept, who both felt horrifically useless.

Honestly, to me, the choice is between synaptic boosters and drugs, not a sustained increase reflexes.
PlatonicPimp
go for the drugs. Drugs are your friend, and will only kill your essence after a LOT of use.
Charon
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Nov 24 2006, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Nov 24 2006, 02:56 AM)

Anf that is true to an extent, but few people play the same campaign so long that the infinite potential of a mage is an issue.

An initiate of level 4 has spent 54 karma on initiation alone even with the group discount. For most people that's 7-8 session. Just on initiation. Now that doesn't include new spells, increased Magic attribute, foci bonding, increased skill and attributes... So even if he's heavily focused on initiation it should be more like 24 sessions. More likely 30 or so if the GM isn't afraid to shoot at the mage (then bumping body at least to 4 and developing some dodge become mandatory) and put him in tough spot (were some minimum social skills are essential).

And if that guy has spent 2 or 3 points of essence on various cyber-gizmo, he's still feeling it at this point.

By the point where it's just a "speed bump" he'd likely have to retire.

As GM, I'd never run a campaign that long. I know people who do, but I don't think they are that common.

Personnally, I would get bored with the theme of the campaign much too early for the infinite potential to be a meaningful factor, IMO. 20 to 24 sessions (6 to 8 month of real life!) is plenty of time to tell a meaningful saga and by that time I feel you should be thinking hard about a suiting conclusion and move on to something else. And by that time, most mage won't be much more than initate 3.

Jaid
a magician who gets his magic up to about 6 can already overcast spells up to force 12. i can't think of too many magicians who will be crippled by being allowed 'only' 12 hits. hell, i can't think of too many magicians who will be crippled by being allowed 'only' 6 hits.

so long as you don't mind taking a little bit of physical drain, magic 6 or thereabouts is plenty for your basic needs. more is always nice, of course, but beyond that point a power focus will do just fine, generally speaking (which can only go as high as force 6... i think that's sufficient for most people).

like i said, higher magic is nice, but it's one or two dice in the end, really, since once you get to a certain points the cap on successes is not a very big deal, and your combat spells are already capable of dishing out enough damage to knock stuff out in a single hit as well. high magic is important, but 6 is probably sufficient, imo.
Lividicus
So Geasa cannot be applied to essence loss, is the majority vote, but the loss of magic and ability to geasa a lost point still lays in the deciding hands of the GM?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012