Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate awards for metaplanar quests
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
I'd say that every metaplanar quest should have a reward at the end that extends beyond simply hiding a link or getting karma. I'd say we should include things like getting limited access to new spirit types and getting rewards from the leaders of other metaplanes in the forms of focus formulae. Like getting a weapon focus formula from the Jade Emperor for saving the Celestial Kingdom, or being able to summon wolf spirits while shapeshifted into a wolf, or even getting a werewolf transformation spell that totally kicks ass that you normally wouldn't be able to invent on your own.
Fortune
I'm thinking .... no.

There are too many visitors to the Metaplanes for this to be really viable.

rewards from the leaders of other metaplanes

There are Metaplanar leaders? Do you have a list?
Grinder
In his head. wink.gif
emo samurai
What's wrong with the number of metaplanar visitors? You mean magicians would be getting freaky canon-destroying powers left and right if this happened? Then I would say limit this to really hard metaplanar quests.

As for metaplanar leaders, I mean mentor spirits and mythological figures.
Digital Heroin
Having devoured Street Magic, and had more than a few ideas come to my head, I'd be inclined to think there could be more than just the listed rewards for Metaplanar quest. My thinking is this: each metaplane is essentially a robust world of its own waiting to be flushed out, neh? Well that means one who travels there frequently could make contacts, at the very least, which is a reward unto itself. Not to mention that if people/objects/etc can travel through an Astral Gateway or rift into another Metaplane, the reverse could be done. Another thread talked about mundanes using Foci weapons, and the possibility of a unique enchantment... well where better to get a weapon with such an enchantment than during the course of a metaplanar quest?

They're boundless realms of possibility, really. But in no way shape or form should it be easy to do. Sure, there are many, many people travelling the metaplanes, but I imagine few have the drive or ability to go about a quest so epic as to steal a legendary weapon from within its home metaplane, or to save a metaplane even.
emo samurai
Which would make such quests AWESOME. :devil horn hands:
Ancient History
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
My thinking is this: each metaplane is essentially a robust world of its own waiting to be flushed out, neh?

Maybe. Or maybe they're all the same and it's just in your head. No way of knowing. smile.gif
emo samurai
Either way, you produce awesome there. That's good enough for me. biggrin.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Having devoured Street Magic, and had more than a few ideas come to my head, I'd be inclined to think there could be more than just the listed rewards for Metaplanar quest. My thinking is this: each metaplane is essentially a robust world of its own waiting to be flushed out, neh? Well that means one who travels there frequently could make contacts, at the very least, which is a reward unto itself. Not to mention that if people/objects/etc can travel through an Astral Gateway or rift into another Metaplane, the reverse could be done. Another thread talked about mundanes using Foci weapons, and the possibility of a unique enchantment... well where better to get a weapon with such an enchantment than during the course of a metaplanar quest?

They're boundless realms of possibility, really. But in no way shape or form should it be easy to do. Sure, there are many, many people travelling the metaplanes, but I imagine few have the drive or ability to go about a quest so epic as to steal a legendary weapon from within its home metaplane, or to save a metaplane even.

I've went that route, and therein lies the path to madness. It totally destroys that ambiguity and uncertainity that AH was talking about, which I find to be fundemental to SR. Not good IMO.
Digital Heroin
Aye, sometimes ambiguity is a good thing, but there's something to be said for twisting a characters world vision around.

Imagine going on a metaplanar quest, seeking enlightenment, and encountering a world so strange that you know on some level it can't be true. Imagine that throughout the course of the quest you acquire certain objects that seem to have functions comprable to objects you know and recognize, while still looking thoroughly alien. You awake, as it were, from the quest, flush with sucess but still feeling slightly empty, knowing that it was all in your head. And then your hand brushes against something, you look down and in your lap rests one of the items you held in the quest, here in the real.

Ambiguity is good, but sometimes it's just plain fun to get some clarity.
emo samurai
Plus, you can already get tangible rewards from metaplanar space. Metamagics, spirit formulae, etc.
Demonseed Elite
There's absolutely the possibility for additional metaplanar quests rewards or special rewards specific to a particular campaign. The gamemaster has to consider the game balance of introducing these possibilities, but the possibility exists.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012