Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sympathetic Links
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Angelone
Ok a sympathetic link is a representaion of someone else so you don't really need a sample to do ritual magic on them.

QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 26 2006, 09:17 PM)
Actually, this reminds me of a great idea I wanted to use when it comes to the really high-end bunraku puppets. The ones who look like, say, Nadja Daviar.

So, could one conceivably use said bunraku puppet, as a sympathetic link? Or would you just end up toasting the "link" or another bunraku puppet with the same specifications? The tricky part, in my mind, is the personality, would that even come into play at all?

Don't have my books handy so don't know if it nixes it in the rules, which I don't remember them mentioning it one way or the other.
Moon-Hawk
What a cool idea!
My knee-jerk reaction is, if a player came at me wanting to do this, I'd allow it, but a glitch will definitely target the look-alike.
BishopMcQ
It's been awhile since I looked at the rules, but as I recall, the mage using the link has to have created it--examples of this are voodoo dolls, pictures, etc.

This could certainly be interesting for plastic surgeons who are also mages...
Ancient History
I toyed with an idea like this once. Never again.
SL James
However it doesn't make the idea any less viable.
Ancient History
True.

However, I should point out that what y'all are discussing is a symbolic link - making an image in the form of the target. If you did allow a person to act as a sympathetic link, it would have to be someone touched by the target, like the prostitute the target used the night before (Recently Handled Object), their favorite prostitute or mistress (Oft-Handled Object), etc.
Moon-Hawk
Um, oops. Yeah, I've been talking about symbolic links, I guess. Not sympathetic.
Angelone
Ahh, so I used the wrong term, but it still seems viable.
SL James
"Recently Handled Object."

I like that.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I toyed with an idea like this once. Never again.

I still desperately wish that I had saved that little gem. It was far far better than most snuff stories on the internet and, for that mater, far far better than much of the fiction Shadowrun fiction out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012