Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dude, Spirits of Man exploit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Have a spirit of man sustain, like, 6 force 1 spells, and then bind it. It'll have no dice pool, and you'll have all of yours, and you'll get 6 services out of it.
ShadowAnt
Don't spirits have to be bound first to perform a magical service? (SRCorep178)
Demerzel
That's not a magical service. A spirit of man has the power innate spellcasting, it's just a simple use of a power.

EDIT: As an optional power of course.
emo samurai
So tell a force 6 spirit to armor 4 rocks and then bind him. He'll have no dice pool to resist, and the book doesn't specifically tell you that there is no way to modify the dice pool the way you can't modify the drain pool with spells and pain editing.
hyzmarca
Negative dice pool modifiers don't apply to resistance tests.
emo samurai
For what kind of resistance tests? I thought it was just for drain resistance. Rules posting, plz? I can only find the part where drain resistance pools aren't reduced.
FrankTrollman
It's a gray area. Sustaining spells provides a dicepool penalty on all other tests, but that penalty doesn't apply to damage resistance or spell resistance tests. But assuming it works:

It's a net loss in services, though it's a net gain in Drain resistance.

Every service you expend on having it sustain a spell reduces its dicepool by 2 - giving you on average 2/3 of an extra service on the binding test.

It's only a net bonus to services if you immediately rebind (since you're paying X services to pick up 2/3 X services on each binding attempt).

-Frank
emo samurai
No, the rules say that it can use any powers that it sees fit to use on a service. So if the service is "Armor these 6 worthless rocks so I can rebind you," then it's only a loss of one service.
Mikado
I somehow think spirits are not that stupid.... wobble.gif
Once you start the binding ritual the spirit would drop the sustained spell as a free action, spirits dont like to be bound and would resist any way they could. Even if your plan worked (any GM willing to let you do this...) the spirit could still make a long shot test and roll its edge which would be bad if your sumoning anything over force 6.
Cheops
Not to mention that repeated uses of this would build up some massive ill will with the spirit world and eventually the GM could start slapping Spirit Banes on you.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (emo samurai)
No, the rules say that it can use any powers that it sees fit to use on a service. So if the service is "Armor these 6 worthless rocks so I can rebind you," then it's only a loss of one service.

Services are finite in powers used or in duration. You can use a service to maintain Guard all day or you can spend a service to use all of a spirit's services during a combat.

If you spend a service to have the spirit cast Armor spells until it doesn't have a dicepool, that's equivalent to the combat service. That means that as soon as you do something else (like start a binding ritual) the service is over and it can drop all the spells.

That really is what your exploit gets you: less drain and less services from your bound spirit.

-Frank
emo samurai
Oh... I thought you could have it sustain the spells indefinitely with a single service, even if you were binding the thing. I thought it didn't have a choice in the matter.

And how would it get a spirit bane? It's not particularly painful to the spirit, just difficult.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (emo samurai)
And how would it get a spirit bane? It's not particularly painful to the spirit, just difficult.

Because it (potentially) annoys the GM, which seems to me the best way to get a spirit bane. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
And you could have it sustain it over multiple binding attempts, which would rock.
Fortune
You can gain the Spirit Bane Quality (I really really want to use the word Flaw) by mistreating Spirits. Think of it as beating your slaves. Sure you can do it a time or two and nothing will come of it, but keep it up on a continual basis and the whole damn slave community gets all riled up, and one day you just might not live to regret it.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Fortune)
You can gain the Spirit Bane Quality (I really really want to use the word Flaw) by mistreating Spirits. Think of it as beating your slaves. Sure you can do it a time or two and nothing will come of it, but keep it up on a continual basis and the whole damn slave community gets all riled up, and one day you just might not live to regret it.

"Dude? Emo? He's that cheap ass fragger. 20 rubles (spirits use rubles. Look it up) says that the first thing he has you do is armor some fraggin' rocks, so he can bind you. He's a real punk ass."

Something like that. You build up a rep as someone that takes advantage of spirits. And they get mad.
Ryu
1.) One service at a time. The number of targets is restricted, too. In the case of spells, IŽd call it one service per spell. So youŽd be out of luck with armoring your little friends.

2.) There are no modifiers at all for defending against a binding attempt. Before reading this thread IŽd have rejected the idea. Now IŽd just allow you to have the spirit suffer the -2 dice and have the spirit react accordingly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012