Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Losing a commlink
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ben
When you lose your commlink (when you get captured by ennemy runners or a small corp or whatever), do you also lose your fake SINs? That would imply also losing access to bank accounts, etc.
My fellow players and I are really not sure about how to approach the "physical" representation of SINs: is it like a passport (when you lose your fake passport, it's really gone), or is it more like an online account, where losing your commlink would mean you lost the "key" to that account but it still exists? (and thus could be retrievable in some way)
I've searched topics and wikis but couldn't find twice the same answer…
It would really suck losing all your money if you lose the commlink, and your car, and your appartment, and basically everything but your smallclothes.

Have you experienced losing a commlink, and how did you handle it?
Fortune
It is not totally lost, as your SIN (even if it is fake) is mostly stored in various online databases, not solely on your Commlink. Think of it as a kind of Debit Card ... if you lose that (even if it is in a phony name), you can just get a new card from the bank (or wherever) and stick in a new password. The actual money in your account, and your bank account number are not stored solely on the card itself, but in the banks computers.
Jaid
also, a SIN is, iirc, largely derived from various information about you. thus, if you know your (fake) SIN's information (and you should, because it effectively makes ID checks to detect your SIN as false to have a threshold one higher) you should be able to figure out what your SIN should be.
Garrowolf
Well in my games you have normal ID cards. I never used credsticks anyway because it seemed like you would stab yourself alot when you sat down. ID cards can be regularly flexible and still have data on them. You would have an ID card for each ID you had (hopefully not all in your wallet). You would have several bank cards. I wouldn't think that you would need a seperate passport though.

You can have your information on optical chips as well. The commlinks of most of my pcs have slots for the chips. You have a different chip for each ID. Then they just slot one ID in and their commlink will inform whoever has access that they are so and so. Then they can walk away and swap chips and they become someone else. The advantage of this system is that no amount of hacking will show the unslotted chips.

Most people would just have all that information saved directly to their commlinks. They dont have a reason to hide their identities.

Just keep in mind that the commlink lets you access your stuff easily but it doesn't mean that you have no other way to prove who you are. Now with most people loosing their commlink would tell the thief everything about them so they could just go to their homes and steal their stuff there too.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Well in my games you have normal ID cards. I never used credsticks anyway because it seemed like you would stab yourself alot when you sat down.

Only if you take pen sized to equal pen shaped I see credsticks as having rounded edges.
Anyway how do your runners keep track of there nuyen. Bank accounts have a nasty habit of datatrails. Credsticks do not.

Garrowolf
Well I have bank accounts as normal, blind accounts that open and close for transactions, Visa Cred Cards - similar to Gift Cards, Corp Scrip, and normal cash. The cred cards would be similar to certified cred sticks. Corp scrip is cash that only works for certain corp businesses but would be traded normally I think as long as that corp was a megacorp because it would be more stable then most government scrips (dollars) in the distopic future of shadowrun.

It is said in several books that the UCAS still uses cash and I think that they would never stop in SR because having cash benefits shady deals that corps want to be able to do. No cash is the option that a strong controlling government wants because it makes all transactions transparent to them. Therefore the dollar is still around.

NAN cash is still around as well. Alot of businesses would have lots of different types of cash in their draw but they would be using their value against the nuyen to give equal change.

It would be easier for governments to got cashless and all cred but in shadowrun the governments are supposed to be weak and the corps strong. They would want lots of different kinds in order to gain from all the conversions and transactions.

Keep in mind that the cred stick was just a place holder and local storage of data. The money was not actually in the stick. The transaction still needed to be transmitted to your banks. I thought that they made it way too complicated with the stick reader and all. Besides anything electronic can be tracked. It's justa choice between easy and hard to track.
Jack Kain
Well on that note you can track cash to. Its just really hard if you don't mark the bills before hand.
Garrowolf
That's true. It's just a little harder.

Actually I could see some pcs that washed their money and checked them for RDID tags because they were just that paranoid!
Fortune
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Dec 3 2006, 04:14 PM)
Keep in mind that the cred stick was just a place holder and local storage of data. The money was not actually in the stick.

Except for Certified Credsticks, where the money actually is encoded onto the stick.

And with the wireless world of 2070, even stick-to-stick (or commlink-to-commlink) transactions are verified and completed pretty much instantaneously.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
That's true. It's just a little harder.

Actually I could see some pcs that washed their money and checked them for RDID tags because they were just that paranoid!

Hmm I don't think the tags are that small.
Garrowolf
RFID tags are nearly that small NOW! They can be put inside the fabric of clothes. Besides there is already that little magnetic strip in cash.
SL James
QUOTE (Ben @ Dec 2 2006, 06:17 PM)
When you lose your commlink (when you get captured by ennemy runners or a small corp or whatever), do you also lose your fake SINs? That would imply also losing access to bank accounts, etc.
My fellow players and I are really not sure about how to approach the "physical" representation of SINs: is it like a passport (when you lose your fake passport, it's really gone), or is it more like an online account, where losing your commlink would mean you lost the "key" to that account but it still exists? (and thus could be retrievable in some way)
I've searched topics and wikis but couldn't find twice the same answer…
It would really suck losing all your money if you lose the commlink, and your car, and your appartment, and basically everything but your smallclothes.

Have you experienced losing a commlink, and how did you handle it?

People don't lose their commlinks in SR4... And there's no such thing as ubiquitous identity theft due to millions of idiots who leave their default settings on and thus broadcast their SINs and personal info to everyone on the planet without the slightest shred of security.

No, I don't think the fluff for commlinks is stupid. Never.

QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I never used credsticks anyway because it seemed like you would stab yourself alot when you sat down.

Yeah, I know. It's like how my ass is a pin cushion because I carry keys all the time.

Oh, wait. That's exactly what doesn't happen. Because, see, I and most people don't purposefully stick pointy shit in our back pockets and then sit down.
Nikoli
Yeah, that strip is just shy of being an RFID tag.
Personally, working for a bank I can not see a government or banking entity, allowing utterly traceless transactions. They only serve criminals. I can however see them saying it's traceless all the while collecting data in case they need to press charges.
Ben
QUOTE (SL James)

People don't lose their commlinks in SR4...

would you care to explain how you can't lose a commlink? it's hardware
Mistwalker
I think that you will find that SL James was using sarcasm.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ben)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 3 2006, 01:39 AM)

Ever leave the house while wearing a certain pair of underwear, and come back at some point in time later, and realize that sometime when you were out you misplaced that underwear, but have no idea where?

The intimacy level between commlink users and their commlinks is about the same.

Although, the situation described by the original poster isn't so much loss as it is deliberate taking.
SL James
QUOTE (Ben)

Anyone else hear a loud *WHOOSH* sound?
Ben
I fail to see the point in making a difference between "losing" and "deliberatly taking", about consequences: either way, the PC doesn't have his commlink anymore.
Which brings me back to my original question: what do you lose when your commlink is gone?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Ever leave the house while wearing a certain pair of underwear, and come back at some point in time later, and realize that sometime when you were out you misplaced that underwear, but have no idea where?

It was a wild night. I'll leave it at that.

Any fake SINs on a captured comlink can be assumed to be compromised. While you can probably access those bank accounts, the individual who has your comlink will probably know when and where you did.

As for the underground economy ....
The government doesn't want to stop the trade of illegal goods and services, ever. They pay lip service to the enforcement of laws against identity theft, drug dealing, selling stolen goods, and the like. However, they do not want these things to stop under any circumstances. Why? Because, contrary to popular belief, they actually contribute to the national economy. They contribute a lot to the national economy. The drug lords who get rich off of your habit are going to spend their money on 42-inch 1080p plasma-screen televisions and multi-million dollar mansions and giant yachts and all of that other crap, sending their ill-gotten gains right back into the economy.
More importantly, the some laws, and the justifications for those laws, support this. For example, in the United States Federal law prohibits the growth of marijuana for personal use. This isn't intended to prevent people from smoking marijuana because that isn't a valid function of the federal government. The purpose of the law is to encourage individuals to purchase marijuana from criminal dealers since individuals who grow their own marijuana will not buy from dealers. Regulating the economy and encouraging economic growth are valid functions of government even if the economic activity that they are encouraging is illegal.

While every transaction you make will be monitored, they'll only get you if they want to get you and they'll only want to get you if not getting you will cost them more than getting you will. If they look at your financial records and see that your selling millions of dollars worth of illegal drugs every year and spending it on luxury goods that were made in the good ole' UCAS they'll probably core more about the fact that you are contributing to the economy than they will about the fact that you are breaking the law and they won't bother you.
The law really isn't the law. They say it is the law, but only because they have to in order to look proper. They expect you to pay it the same lip serivce and keep your ass covered so that their failure to prosecute you doesn't become an embarassing news story. If you do that you're home free.

On a smaller scale, their are also jurisdictional issues. The UCAS federal government is not the supreme economic regulatory body in the UCAS. The Corporate Court holds that position everywhere on earth and in human colonized space. Banking in the UCAS is not regulated to the Federal Reserve. It is regulated by Zürich Orbital. Heck, most banks are going to belong to megacorps.
If Lone Star Seattle wants your financial records they'll have to go through more red-tape than all all the elves at Santa's North Pole sweatshop.
And even getting records to legal transactions aren't each. The Sovereign Nation of Stuffer Shack doesn't take too kindly to outside interference in their affairs, after all, and one thing you should never forget is that your corner chain grocery store is a sovereign entity thanks to one really brilliant USA Supreme Court decision.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ben @ Dec 4 2006, 05:56 AM)
what do you lose when your commlink is gone?

Your Commlink!

Other than that, we pretty much answered this already. You don't automatically lose your SIN (but it may be compromised in some way), you don't automatically lose your money. You buy a new Commlink.
cx2
And you may or may not lose software assuming you didn't have it backed up.

Regarding money, the BBB states that it is considered "quaint" to see paper money and that traditional credsticks were replaced by wireless transactions. Normally you either use a wireless transfer or use certified cred. Now certified credsticks can be tracked, so it's wise to take your pay on certified cred then move it to somewhere else fast in the least traceable way you can just in case your fixer or J screws you over.
Mistwalker
Hmm, how can certified credsticks be tracked?
The "cash" is on the credstick, can be added to, or removed from, from any other money source, including other certified credsticks.
cx2
Well that's what I seem to recall being mentioned somewhere. I could imagine perhaps the credstick either being marked or having a serial number of some type.
Ophis
Worm files in the credit data that report (hard to get rid off even if shifting it)

or our old friend the RFID tag.
Fortune
QUOTE (cx2 @ Dec 4 2006, 09:49 AM)
I could imagine perhaps the credstick either being marked or having a serial number of some type.

That defeats the whole purpose of a Certified Credstick. Its main reason for existence is to be a vehicle of untraceable money. The money is actually coded onto the chip itself, and is no longer in the banking system until such time as it is transfered from the credstick to an actual account (either yours or someone else's).

I think the Corps would come down pretty hard on the financial institution that started seeding certified credsticks with worms or RFID tags.
Ophis
Except when they do it themselves to gather data on runners movements etc.
Fortune
And open themselves up to rebuke from the other Megas. Certified Credsticks are designed not only to exchange the enclosed data, but to actually change hands. They can be used by anyone possessing them, and as such are handed off all over the place in trades and purchases. They can be refilled and reused for all kinds of purposes, both those that are legit and those not so much. Eventually someone is going to figure out that the stick has been tampered with, realize the implications, and then the deed will be traced back to the offending Corp.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ophis)
Except when they do it themselves to gather data on runners movements etc.

Taking the "deniable" out of the "deniable assets" that the corporate community as a whole depends on to get certain things done is sort of like launching a salvo of intercontinental ballistic nukes during the cold war. Sure, several parties are capable of it, but they all know that it's a shitty idea that just spoils the party for everyone.
Ophis
Yeah but it's a classic trick if you want to silence the team subtly after the job is over and falls into the standard set of tricks for how the Johnson screws the runners.
Fortune
No it wouldn't, a least not more than once for that Johnson. Keep in mind that Certified Credsticks have legitimate uses outside of the shadows, and the same stick could conceivably be used for all types of transactions. The risks are too high, and the stick itself goes through too many hands, including those attached to other Megacorps. Eventually someone will catch on, especially if the stick ever circulates through the actual banking system, where it would be exposed to the software (or whatever) specifically developed to detect any such tampering.

The reverse is true too, in that if the Johnson can trace the money, then the money can be traced back to the Johnson himself, and ultimately his employer. Not terribly smart exposing your own datatrail if you are looking for deniability.

There are better, and much safer ways for a Johnson to screw with runners than tamper with Certified Credsticks.
hyzmarca
A certified credsticks work like a electronic money card today. The credstick is manufactured for a particular bank or financial company to specifications defined by the appropriate standards organization and approved by the Corporate Court via ZOG.
The certified credstick may be purchased and recharged at a bank, a vending machine, or certain retail outlets which have partnership agreements with one or more major banks. The exact credstick you receive depends on the issuing bank but all are functionally identical save for the authentication codes.

Money on a certified credstick is represented a simply binary value. However, this value is encrypted with a complex encoding scheme and the encoded value is further protected by a rotating authentication code system that is standard, although the exact codes are unique to the issuing bank.

Certified credsticks will usually display their current value on a small LCD screen, although they may be read by any credstick compatible device. However, under normal circumstances, they can only be written by an authorized POS terminal which is connected to the matrix. The POS terminal will query the issuing bank to determine that the authentication code is indeed valid and current. If will then compare the authentication code to the encrypted value of the credstick, compare the authentication code to the actual value of the credstick, apply a filter provided by the bank, and compare again. If everything checks out then the POS terminal accepts the credstick, the issuing bank credits the store, and the terminal writes the new value to the credstick along with a new authentication code which is related to the new value and the date it was written.

Attempts to forge a certified credstick are stymied by the facts that the authentication codes must possess certain features that are consistent with the value encoded on the credstick and which must remain consistent as different filters are applied to one or the other and the code must by an authentic code from the bank that the credstick was issued by and the code must be valid for the date of the last transaction.
While there is no anonymity when charging the account, after it is charged one certified credstick is indistinguishable from another except for its value and its last transaction date, the former a necessary evil and the latter very useful in security.
The credstick iself only contains binary data, not money, so the actual funds juggling is handled by the bank. When the credstick is purchased or recharged the money from the transaction is deposited into a single certified credstick fund in the isssueing bank. Since all payments come from the same anonymous account, it is impossible for national governments to effectively trace any certified credstick except by educated guess.

At least, that's my take.
Fortune
Same thing. wink.gif
kzt
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

However, this value is encrypted with a complex encoding scheme and the encoded value is further protected by a rotating authentication code system that is standard, although the exact codes are unique to the issuing bank.

So, using a REALLY complex encryption scheme it takes someone almost 30 seconds to break and duplicate using them great SR4 hacking rules? Don't you love them?

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

The POS terminal will query the issuing bank to determine that the authentication code is indeed valid and current. If will then compare the authentication code to the encrypted value of the credstick, compare the authentication code to the actual value of the credstick, apply a filter provided by the bank, and compare again.  If everything checks out then the POS terminal accepts the credstick, the issuing bank credits the store, and the terminal writes the new value to the credstick along with a new authentication code which is related to the new value and the date it was written.

If you have a hash that shows the data and the value and know where the money went you have an audit trail that shows where this device was used for the life of the device and how much was spent where.

Which means if someone follows you to the stuffer shack and you pay with a certified credstick they can then retrieve your the entire transaction history and get the future transactions automatically from the bank. And they can find out who put the money in the unit. Which makes it not exactly as untracable as it is reputed to be.

It's logical. My interpretation was that it was a transfer tool like a cashiers check written to cash, where (again) the money isn't in the device, it's automatically transfered to whoever uses it (all the money or none, no partial transfers). You just have to fix the stupidity that is the encryption rules.
Fortune
QUOTE (kzt)
My interpretation was that it was a transfer tool like a cashiers check written to cash, where (again) the money isn't in the device, it's automatically transfered to whoever uses it (all the money or none, no partial transfers).

I also used to think that Certified Credsticks were an 'all or nothing' affair, but I got beaten down soundly here when I voiced that concept.
eidolon
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Ben @ Dec 3 2006, 12:04 PM)

Anyone else hear a loud *WHOOSH* sound?

Personal attacks are against DSF policies. Insulting another member does nothing to further a conversation. Please refrain from making them. Thanks.
Garrowolf
I still don't understand how a certified credstick actually has money on it. It could have data about money but not actual money. It's like a gift card. It has a value because you paid some bank that money and they gave you an object with the access codes on it to get back to that money. It doesn't actually have that money as data on the stick or card or whatever because that would make it increadibly easy to gain money.

It's not like you have a certain amount of money on the stick and can spend it outside of the market. It is only a reference to money. Once you use it it works just like a debit card. It is a CREDIT STICK not a actualy form of money. You are running around with bank cards and debit gift cards - not some magical form of money on a stick.

The certified part just means that it is backed up by the bank.
hyzmarca
I still don't understand how a paper note actually has money on it. It could have data about money but not actual money. It's like a check. It has a value because you paid some bank that money and they gave you an object with the access codes on it to get back to that money. It doesn't actually have that money as data on the paper or worthless coin or whatever because that would make it incredibly easy to gain money.

It's not like you have a certain amount of money on the noteand can spend it outside of the market. It is only a reference to money. Once you use it it works just like a check. It is a TREASURY NOTE not a actually form of money. You are running around with checks and tokens - not some magical form of money on paper.

Fiat money is nothing more than data that has arbitrary value and an authentication system to help prevent counter fitting. Certified credsticks, like some modern electronic money cards, are an electronic form of fiat money. Complex authentication schemes make them difficult, but not impossible, to forge.

And I'm going to take back most of what I've written up there because I didn't think all of it through to the logical conclusion and it actually contradicts some fiction I've written. I'm still going to say that certified credsticks have complex authentication codes (certificates) and can only be altered at POS terminals using codes from the issueing bank. But I'm also going to say that they all have a serial number and are all traceable, like money. And, like money, they can be reported stolen. However, all transaction data is property of Zürich Orbital according to the licensing agreements and it takes more than a little subpoena to compel them to hand over the data. Unless you're being hauled into Corporate Court your certified credstick transaction data is unlikely to be used against you.
The codes and the serial numbers are tied to the bank of origin, but are issued regulated and controlled by ZOG, so that the stick will still have value even if the issuing bank goes down. ZOG will always honor a legitimate certified credstick.

Basically, instead of the electronic numbers representing the value of the account being stored in a bank's computer system with the credstick being used as a reference, the electronic numbers representing the credstick's value are stored directly on the stick and a complex authentication system ensures that it is, in fact, legitimate. Like paper money, it can be traced but is not tied to a single individual.
Lovesmasher
One assumes that the commlink is mostly just the portal through which you access the information unless you're intentionally doing otherwise. Also, if you're physically losing your commlink, hopefully your team hacker has your back and is pulling all important info off of it, encrypting what's left and planting databombs all over everything before the people taking it get a chance to do anything with it.

Personally the first thing I did when my hacker took up with the group (sorta before then too) was start replacing everyone on the team's stock OSs with my own custom, installing my own reality filter, putting in a few levels of encryption and backing up everything inside my own personal datalock (which is where I hide all of my hacking programs).

With the amount of dangerous personal information available through commlinks (I'm in your commlink, shutting down your cyberware!), not having a hacker in your pocket one way or another is one of the most risky things you could do.

And do Garrowolf, all money is symbolic. It always has been. The reason we use money is to simplify the transfer of 100 chickens for 3 cows. Money added flexibility to the barter system and allowed people to safely over specialize. Paper and coin money is the easiest money to steal because it only requires a conk on the head. Electronic money is like paper money, but with constant armed guards. Certified electronic money is like electronic money that doesn't leave a trail, but can be stolen with a conk on the head unless you're creative and take all the information OFF of the cred stick as soon as you're done with your transaction.
Jack Kain
Lets look at this does the bank actually contain all that cash? NO it doesn't it stores the credit by numbers in your account based on past depoits and with drawls. Just like in real life. The bank doesn't store millions of dollars in cash in its vaults. Just enougth to go through a weeks worth of deposits and with drawls.

So is it really that hard to believe a credstick can't do the exact same thing?

Taken directly from the book.
"The modern version of cash or bearer bonds, certified credsticks are not registered to any
specific person—the electronic funds encoded on it belongs to whomever hold it. Certified cred requires no ID or authorization to transfer or use"
Remember NO ID required.

Lets try and remember that the POINT of credsticks is the Anonymity of them. Take that away and you might as well remove them from the game.
A credstick is not attached to a sin. The funds are attached to the stick. The stick can physically change hands making it really hard to trace back who used it when. Lets look at this. Many megacorps have there own SIN cards and corperate citizens.
How hard do you think it is for them to create "fake" sins.
They can make REAL valid sin cards. So they have a "fake" sin issued to a Randal Stevens. A SINless who managed to prove he had something to offer the company and was awarded citizenship. Randal Stevens doesn't actually exist. As its a case of a SINless being issued a SIN he has no history. The corp can then use said "fake" sin to create certified credsticks. Those certified credsticks can then go on to pay for more credsticks.

So even if it is traced back they can just say. "He's the gulity man your honor the one with the bank accounts"

As a fake SIN isn't reliable enough to keep for a bank account. Use the fake SIN to get a credstick. Then use that credstick to get another credstick. Now the credstick traces to another stick purchased with a FAKE Sin card and you can deny being that person. With your seperate fake sin.

Not to mention the various credsticks which would have datatrails going back to when they were common.

2bit
That's a very believable explanation Hyzmarca. Even though certified cred has no user authorization requirement, and so cannot be traced to the person using it, it must be tracable back to the accounts of origin or else it has no guarantee. Z-O is the only name I can think of powerful enough to make those guarantees independent of the megas.
cx2
Okay, here's my view in two words: "money orders".

And even if your Johnson couldn't tamper with the certified credstick to track its use they could always plant a screamer on it, especially with the wireless matrix and RFID size items.
Fortune
To what end? The runners might keep the stick unused for the next year, or might trade it to Joe Pimp tomorrow, or might end up givng it over to Lofwyr later on next week. I don't see the reasoning behind the Johnson taking that big risk (and it is a big risk when we're talking about leaving evidence around or screwing over people in less than legal dealings) just to track a Credstick.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (cx2)
And even if your Johnson couldn't tamper with the certified credstick to track its use they could always plant a screamer on it, especially with the wireless matrix and RFID size items.

And the Johnson could also use the certified credsticks as an anchor for Turn to Goo and scrape your team off the sidewalk, literally.

Okay, here's my view in two words: "money orders".

The difference between one negotiable note and another is rather minimal. The think about paper money is that it was originally back by gold and silver. Your silver notes were exchangeable for a certain amount of silver if the bearer presented it to the issuing bank and your gold notes were exchangeable for a certain amount of gold at the issueing bank.. This is where the term 'pounds sterling' in the British monetary system comes from. Originally, each pound represented a Troy pound of sterling silver.
Now, in the United States and many other places you had a problem where different banks would issue their own incompatible currencies and this is, in fact, still legal in Scotland. However, because these bank notes were not universally accepted they sometimes produced problems. Standardized national currencies fixed this because it is guaranteed by the government rather than by a private institution and because it is illegal not to accept government issued currency in most countries.

However, most countries are no longer using gold or silver standard. They use fiat money which has value for no other reason than the fact that someone says it does. The Nuyen is a form of fiat money that is issued by Zürich Orbital Group. The certified credstick is a method of printing that money, not unlike yesterday's paper currencies. The data on the credstick is not tied to an actual bank account. The data has a value because ZOG says it does and people trust ZOG.
cx2
Firstly:
Screamer usually implies a radio transmitter so usage is a non issue.

Secondly, I know about pounds being British but I strongly suspect it was coinage not notes. Coins used to be made of gold or silver in vertain denominations. If you ever see a British £1 coin look at the edge, it has a series of grooves. These were originally to stop people breaking the coins up into pieces and melting them into bullion.

thirdly:
Money Orders have value because the issuer says they do. For example "postal orders" here in the UK are basically a piece of paper that says the post office will pay the holder the sum of money indicated, similar principle.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (cx2)
thirdly:
Money Orders have value because the issuer says they do. For example "postal orders" here in the UK are basically a piece of paper that says the post office will pay the holder the sum of money indicated, similar principle.

Money orders have value because the issuer promises to exchange them for something else of value. They are a promissory note, not fiat money.

Fiat money is not redeemable. The issuer will not exchange it for anything else of value. Instead, it has value based on market forces because people choose to accept it.

And the Bank of England has been issuing notes for more than three centuries now.
cx2
Firstly you stated that what is now "fiat money" originated as promisary notes.

And secondly I'm sure money has been around in Britain far longer than 3 centuries. That would be, what, the 17th century? Saying Britain only used money starting then is absurd. Remember Britain has been around as Britain/England for nigh on 10 centuries, through much of which money was used for various things including paying soldiers. A good example is Ajincourt, a battle against the French where much of the English army was made of archers because they were cheaper to pay and I can guarantee was well before the 17th century.
Fortune
He did specifically state 'The Bank Of England' and not 'Britain'.
Ophis
The pound coin is relatively new in money terms up to the mid eighties it was all notes above a pound, British notes are definitely promissory notes they even have the phrase "I promise to pay the bearer the sum of (insert value)" signed by the head of the Bank of England, you used to get gold now you get a new note of that value(or whatever change you want!). My main point is that the grooves on a pound coin aren't to do with coin shaving, I suspect they're to do with making the coin easier for blind people to identify.
cx2
He stated it originated from money being backed up by gold, not the bank of England until later. I was simply stating money existed before this in Britain, and since the money was often worth more melted down was obviously not equal in value to the coin's content.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (cx2 @ Dec 4 2006, 04:20 PM)
Firstly you stated that what is now "fiat money" originated as promisary notes.

Of course, but it wasn't standardized as the "pound sterling" until 1560, until then there were multiple different private currency systems in use. And the Bank of England didn't begin issuing currency until 1694 because the Bank of England did not exist until 1694.

And while Fiat money originated as government promissory notes, they are most certain not promissory notes. Their value is purely abstract while the value of a promissory note is concrete.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012