Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Jacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eugene
So in my last game the PCs wanted to steal a van. Are there any rules about for doing this? How do cars start in the 2060s? Keys? ID/biometric scans?

Frag-o Delux
I don't have book at hand but yes in the Rigger 3 book they have rules on breaking into cars. Getting past the maglock on the door and getting rid of the autonav so the poice can't follow you, and the termination chip so the police can't stop your ride while you are being chased.
Siege
There's a difference autotheft (cracking locks, hotwiring, etc.) and carjacking --> sticking a gun in a driver's face and snatching the keys.

-Siege
FlakJacket
I'd probably say just use the intimidation rules from the main book. That or just shot some guy in the head and nick their car.
Frag-o Delux
He used the wrong term I think, carjacking implies you are stealing a car from the driver while he is in it. But he asked about keys and biometric scans so I told him about the rules in Rigger 3.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Yes, but it's still important to know how they run: i.e., do I have to cut off the guy's hand so the car runs, or just take his credstick?
Siege
I would imagine that once the car has been started: either with number code, finger print or whathaveyou -- the same verification procedure that maglocks use.

Once the car has been started, it shouldn't need another thumb-scan until the car is turned off and needs to be restarted.

A Honda Civic probably has a keypad ignition, a custom Spider clocking at 250k probably has a biometric retinal scanner.

-Siege
Tziluthi
Although someone with decent Electronics and Electronics B/R, and possibly vehicle B/R skills could probably remove or recalibrate those features given enough time.
Siege
Definitely -- it's just like cracking a maglock.

R3 has numbers for how car burglars work and what skills to use.

-Siege
El_Machinae
You stand in front of the car, and the car will very likely stop. Then you push the triangle button, and your character will throw the person out of the car. You've got to drive away, or the driver might pull you back out.

If it's a cop car, you get it to stop, and then go the passenger door. Push the triangle button and run away (so the cop won't arrest you). Once you're far enough away, you double back and steal the car. But, I'm pretty sure you get a star for that.
thunderchild
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
You stand in front of the car, and the car will very likely stop. Then you push the triangle button, and your character will throw the person out of the car. You've got to drive away, or the driver might pull you back out.

If it's a cop car, you get it to stop, and then go the passenger door. Push the triangle button and run away (so the cop won't arrest you). Once you're far enough away, you double back and steal the car. But, I'm pretty sure you get a star for that.

Dude, id see a doctor about that.
Lantzer
Hmm, never had a character carjack anybody. Now, I've had a character carjacked, but the character in question got a quarter-mil out of that deal, when all was finished.

"Now tell me - what gave you the notion it was a good idea to carjack a vehicle with a Gremlin shaman driving, and Tir diplomatic plates?"

The Jopp
Simple solution

Conjurer with an ally spirit with appropriate shapes and appropriate skills

Tell the ally spirit to manifest inside the car and open the door from the inside, thus disabling the alarm (wards don't work since they pop out from a metaplane, besides, how many cars have wards?).

Thief Conjurer sits down in car and makes a Electronics B/R test for hotwiring the car and drives away.

Simple, Neh? biggrin.gif
Siege
Contracting a mage to steal a car...

That must be one hell of a car.

grinbig.gif

-Siege
The Jopp
An expensive Limo perhaps, or a RIGGERS car perhaps.
Shadow
QUOTE (El_Machinae)

What "Triangle" are you talking about?

My money is on shoving a hand cannon in the drivers face and tell him to get out. It's about 50/50 if he will comply or pull out a gun and shoot back.
Lindt
Thats giving me a crazy idea about a car-jacking klepto ferret shamen...
BitBasher
The triangle button refers to Grand Theft Auto 3, for the Playstation 2.

Fantastic game wink.gif
El_Machinae
Like I've said before, 3 of our players have extensive GTA3 experience. Our GM doesn't. For this reason, 3 of the 6 players always assume it will be totally easy to carjack. But because our GM doesn't know how easy it is, things never go as planned.
Ed_209a
For some reason, nobody ever locks their doors in GTA...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012