Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did focus-consumers work?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
I remember hearing some stuff about twisted magicians in older editions breaking the foci of other magicians and absorbing their power. How did that work, rules-wise? Was it only a temporary boost to Magic or something? And did it have side effects?

And would it be possible to make a spirit that eats the powers of other spirits?
Ancient History
You may be inaccurately recalling material on the False Face Society from Threats 2, who sometimes incorporated the remains of old foci to reduce the cost of new foci. Or possibly the spirit Thon from the Sega Genesis game, who destroyed magical artifacts to absorb their energies. There was also a reference in Paranormal Animals of Europe that the rituals to summon the Wild Hunt required sacrificing power foci.
emo samurai
Oh... I see... Actually, I never read that chapter of Threats 2, but I did read on the forums that some magicians destroyed foci for power. My bad.

But would a spirit that destroys and eats other spirits be plausible?
Ancient History
Yes. They're called mantids.
emo samurai
How about if you took a free spirit on a metaplanar quest and then had him destroy the spirit at its home? Would it then be able to absorb the other spirit's powers, since it basically just ate its heart?
Ryu
In your campaign, likely wink.gif

I do not recall a canon rule concerning "blood magic" equivalents for free spirits, but IŽd just say so if my story did require it.
Ancient History
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How about if you took a free spirit on a metaplanar quest and then had him destroy the spirit at its home? Would it then be able to absorb the other spirit's powers, since it basically just ate its heart?

No. Do you take on the strength of your enemies by dining on their hearts?
fistandantilus4.0
which is just great for the Ordo.
hyzmarca
Well, there is that one Adept metamagic.

In order for a spirit to consume another it must have the Energy Drain (Force). However, there is no rule that says only mantids can can't have this power. Mantids just happen to be its most common users.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Dec 5 2006, 08:08 PM)

In fact... biggrin.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Ancient History)

human hearts are great on a charcoal grill. don't weird it all up!
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Well, there is that one Adept metamagic.

In order for a spirit to consume another it must have the Energy Drain (Force). However, there is no rule that says only mantids can can't have this power. Mantids just happen to be its most common users.

well can a free spirit learn a metamagic?
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

No, but they can teach them. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
which always bothered me before... could've sworn something in street magic addressed this...
emo samurai
FRANK! FRAAAAAAAANK!!!!

Misson failed.
Ancient History
"Powdered foci are not magically delicious."
fistandantilus4.0
well you could enchant. .. say.. an apple

*muses*wonder if you could make an insect spirit inhabit something besides a metahuman... hafta check on that.
Ophis
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Dec 6 2006, 08:17 AM)

No, but they can teach them. wink.gif

They can learn the sorcery ones now as optional powers.
Ancient History
well you could enchant. .. say.. an apple.

<snort> Sorry, wasn't listening. Grind me up another power focus, would you? That's a dear.
fistandantilus4.0
biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Ophis)
They can learn the sorcery ones now as optional powers.

Ah, thanks. Need to read that again.
fistandantilus4.0
so I guess cannibalize doesn't apply then? too bad, would be interesting, being able to boost attributes or magic. Still, good for vampire conspiracy groups.
Grinder
QUOTE (emo samurai)
FRANK! FRAAAAAAAANK!!!!

Misson failed.

Dude, you have to call him three times. wink.gif
Grinder
so I guess cannibalize doesn't apply then? too bad, would be interesting, being able to boost attributes or magic. Still, good for vampire conspiracy groups.

Why not? Could be a twisted metamagic technique...
Jaid
well you could enchant. .. say.. an apple

*muses*wonder if you could make an insect spirit inhabit something besides a metahuman... hafta check on that.

yes. Ares has been screwing around with this sort of thing for a while now.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Grinder)
Dude, you have to call him three times. wink.gif

And even then, he has to be on the same plane of existence as you.
Fortune
I think emo needs to put Frank on Speed-Summon.
emo samurai
All I need is a copy of his formula, and we're good to go.
Ryu
Why does it have to be canon? If you need it for anything, make it a unique power and be done with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012