Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non-hermetic elementals
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
OK, we know that magicians of the hermetic tradition can conjure elementals corresponding to the four "classical" elements from Greek philosophy: earth, air, water and fire. But the Greeks were not the only ancient philosophers to think in elemental terms. The Chinese postulated five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal and water. Is there a sourcebook that deals with non-shamanic Chinese or Asian magicians and/or the ability to conjure elementals other than the ordinary four, or is this just something to be hashed out with one's GM?
Ancient History
Wuxing tradition, Magic in the Shadows. The novel Lucifer Deck.
Tanegar
Shiny, thanks. smile.gif
mfb
Lucifer Deck? you're crazy, no such horrible, horrible book exists. that's just a myth!
Bodak
Although the Wuxing tradition in MitS mentions Spirits Of The Elements in five categories of wood, fire, earth, metal and water (as Tanegar requested) when you go to the statblocks of said SotEs you find Spirits of the Winds and no Spirits of Metal. SotWinds are cool and all, but I'm curious about SoMetal (and wonder where SotWinds come from since they aren't in the list of 5).
hyzmarca
You can't summon metal elementals at this point in the mana cycle and they wouldn't be able to materialize even if you could. In order to summon metal elementals you need draconic ritual conjuring and a very high mana level.

And I wouldn't recommend trying because you might find yourself summoning one tha thas been corrupted by a Horror.
Tanegar
I take it draconic ritual conjuring is a special branch of conjuring only usable by dragons? Is there any kind of absolute indicator as to where we are in the mana cycle, other than what kinds of things magicians can and cannot conjure? And finally, what's a Horror?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 6 2006, 06:21 PM)
I take it draconic ritual conjuring is a special branch of conjuring only usable by dragons?  Is there any kind of absolute indicator as to where we are in the mana cycle, other than what kinds of things magicians can and cannot conjure?  And finally, what's a Horror?

Horrors are a generic name for a diverse ecosystem of creatures that originate in the deepest of metaplanes. They cross over en mass near the peak of the mana cycle, a time known as The Scourge. Some mindless Horrors simple consume everything in their path, ravaging the Earth. The more intelligent ones corrupt their prey, feeding on their despair before twisting them into inhuman monstrosities or just throwing them away.
Their only single defining characteristic is that they are antithetical to things that metahumans would consider good. They cannot create, they can only corrupt or destroy.

During the Fourth World, a group of dragons summoned a powerful metal elemental using ritual conjuring. They had hoped that it would be able to protect them from the coming Scourge. It failed, miserably, and was instead transformed into a Horror, itself. Know as artificer, it looks like a giant steam engine turned inside out, it swims through earth like a whale or runs along the ground on metal wheels. Its favorite thing to do is build elaborate trap mazes and it feeds on the suffering of those greedy adventurers that fall into its traps. It can attack multiple characters simultaneously with giant pneumatic spikes that protrude from its body or simply run people over when it is threatened. But it can only materialize at the very peak of the cycle.
Dog
Tanegar, there's no way anyone's succinct description can do justice to the building threat of the Horrors that SR has nurtured from 1ed on. It's too bad you have to be filled in. If you really want a perspective of the Horrors' role in SR, you'd have to go back and look over a lot of old sourcebooks, SR and Earthdawn.

Hey, what about a hermetic who uses contemporary, periodical elementals? What are the powers of a Cesium elemental, or Zinc?
Kagetenshi
The real question is what happens when a Potassium elemental and a Water elemental try to Engulf each other…

~J
Tanegar
Or what happens when you get a whole bunch of hydrogen elementals in one place and compress them. Is there a Fuse power for spirits? biggrin.gif
Pthgar
Cesium and Zinc are a form of Metal Elementals, of course!

Potassium Elementals are also Metal but if you could get them here, when they Engulf they produce Smoke (Air) and Fire Elementals.

Hydrogen Elementals, when Fusing, produce large amounts of Fire, Radiation (Corrupted Fire), and Light (see the awful Lucifer Deck above) Elementals.

By the way, I never heard the origin story of Artificer, I rely on 3 ED boks and Ancient History for all my 4th world knowledge.
Ancient History
I mentioned Artificer on the appropriate page.

Anyway, properly speaking the Realm of Metal is a part of the Metaplane/Netherworld of Earth. Theoretically, one could visit it, or summon spirits from there - the difference between normal earth elementals and metal elementals might be expressed with slightly different elemental effects or powers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012