Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lanier's 1906 Ring
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BrianL03
Okay, this may seem like the most nit-picky, meaningless bit of trivia ever, but I was curious about one thing that shows up in System Failure, at the end.

When Villiers mentions he had the Yankee's 2017 (or something) ring, the last time the Yanks won the World Series, Lanier makes a comment about trying to deal with "this" team, and shows him a 1906 ring.

Now, 1906 was the year the Hitless Wonders, those Chicago White Sox, upset the Chicago Cubs to win the World Series. And that'd be fine since SF was published in August of 2005, before the White Sox won that awesome World Series against the Astros. However, the White Sox had won previous to that, in 1917, the World Series against the Giants(? Can't remember).

Is Lanier wearing the ring, then, symbolically, due to the White Sox having not had the greatest batting ability, but still coming from a lowly perceived ability to win the Series? Or is there greater symbolism behind the ring?

As a Sox fan, I personally would hate the idea that the Cubs would have won before the Sox did (and as such, the Cubs have not won in my SR universe since 1908). So perhaps Lanier is actually a Cubs fan, wearing the ring in reference to that while the Sox may have upset the Cubs in the 1906 Series, that they proceeded to take the next two before their slump?

Or am I just reading too much into an author's flavortext? ~_^
Grinder
QUOTE (BrianL03)
Or am I just reading too much into an author's flavortext? ~_^

Really possible. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
I didn't think the cubs ever won the World serries in RL.
eidolon
Maybe it's a reference to the fact that he's an IE.

*ducks, throws up, has to change hiding places*

wink.gif
Fortune
Shhhhhhhh!
BrianL03
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 7 2006, 03:59 PM)

well, I personally believe that way as well, but then I'd have to give those 1907 and 08 victories to Detroit, which along with St. Louis, are cities that don't actually exist in my eyes. wink.gif
JongWK
In Shadowrun, the Boston Red Sox didn't win until 2063 (check State of the Art:2064 to find out how). I remember some freelancers telling me that "it was never going to happen."

It's kinda funny that the book came out in 2004. nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (BrianL03)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 7 2006, 03:59 PM)

well, I personally believe that way as well, but then I'd have to give those 1907 and 08 victories to Detroit, which along with St. Louis, are cities that don't actually exist in my eyes. wink.gif

I'm a Mets fan, and in the future you can have changes ot what's happening, BUT you can't change the past.
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (eidolon)
Maybe it's a reference to the fact that he's an IE.

*ducks, throws up, has to change hiding places*

wink.gif

DUDE! I ain't gonna get any sleep for WEEKS because of that comment.
BrianL03
QUOTE (JongWK)
In Shadowrun, the Boston Red Sox didn't win until 2063 (check State of the Art:2064 to find out how). I remember some freelancers telling me that "it was never going to happen."

It's kinda funny that the book came out in 2004. nyahnyah.gif

Hence why if it's the White Sox that Lanier's referencing, the 2005 release of System Failure is even funnier (dual sports failure, two years in a row!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012