Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AR Cybercombat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
2bit
QUOTE ("SR4 FAQ")
Do Initiative Pass augmentations affect augmented reality actions?

Yes. AR Matrix activity should not be considered separate from physical activity -- they are integrated and take place within the same Combat Turn. When you access the Matrix via AR, you operate at meat-body speeds. Yes, this means that someone with wired reflexes can access the Matrix more quickly than someone who isn't wired.

Although it's been discussed before, and many people (including myself) have houseruled against allowing more than 1 IP at meat-body speeds to apply to AR actions, we now have this official clarification from the SR4 faq.
The developers are ok with Wired 2 users operating the matrix at hot sim speeds without compromising their personal health. No addiction, no dumpshock, no blackout, no black hammer, no psychotropic IC, and no uncertainty about the status of your meat bod.
Now, the clarification makes sense: you're acting in the physical world, so you should get to act as fast as your body can. But you can see where it leaves us: hackers who trade in their 2 dice bonus for immunity to personal harm.
After reading the matrix chapter, AR's immunities seem balanced around it being the slowest mode, which it is, unless the user has jacked up reflexes. Taking away the risk of damage just completely changes the cybercombat dynamic. It's acceptable when you can pretty much guarantee a win for the 3 IP hot sim user against a 1 IP AR user, but take that away and you're left with one combatant risking his life against a nearly equal opponent who risks only an icon crash.

AR users need to be handicapped in another way that makes the non-VR interface a hindrance. A 2 dice difference from AR to hot VR doesn't cut it.
One idea I'm tossing out there is to disallow use of the Cybercombat skill in AR. The hacker would have to rely on Program ratings and Computer attributes alone. This would be the same as if a copy of his icon in an inactive window was under attack, only he'd be able to take action.
Lovesmasher
You know, I didn't even consider this when I made my hacker. Perhaps I should have. Poor riggers would be the only ones in VR then.
Ryu
The true hacker will "ride the lightning" and use the +2 dice. At least on dedicated hacking missions. Have the part-time wussies use AR.
noneuklid
Well, let's consider this in quasi real-world terms. Why would you want to try to hack (in either sense of the word) using a full VR interface rather than your cellphone/PDA, which is essentially what a commlink is? And what sorts of penalties or bonuses are appropriate to model this situation?

As a side note, can AR users actually access nodes the same way VR users can? It seems like some nodes are only really comprehensible in VR terms...
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Ryu)
The true hacker will "ride the lightning" and use the +2 dice. At least on dedicated hacking missions. Have the part-time wussies use AR.

Eh, it seems like full time hackers work on efficiency though, and thus AR would be the way to go.
Fortune
The thing is, not every single hacker is going to have Initiative-enhancing ware (or Spell). And even those that do will not all have three (or even two) extra IP.

Those that have made that rather large investment will benefit from this ruling, but then they have also used resources gaining the AR/meat bonuses, which might have been put to other, more Hacker related uses.

This really shouldn't be that much of a factor in most games.
Moon-Hawk
Fortune, I don't think that's the problem. Many average hackers will still use VR, because it's the best for them.

The problem (I think) is that the best of the best hackers will all be AR hackers. I think that's what's bothering people, not that ALL hackers will be AR hackers, 'cause as you said, they really won't.
Fortune
I agree that those rare Hackers who have 4 IP, which could only be achieved through ware or a high Force Spell, will be at an advantage. Those with 3 IP have a choice of VR at +2 or AR with lesser risk, both of which I can see being a viable choice, depending on the circumstances.

Incidently, is the 'AR hacking with Wired 3' route the only way a Hacker can be as quick as a Technomancer? That seems a little odd.

Maybe a fix for this would be to grant an additional IP for VR-only hacking? Or not. I am by far not the best person to be talking about the Hacking rules with any amount of understanding. biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Fortune)
Incidently, is the 'AR hacking with Wired 3' route the only way a Hacker can be as quick as a Technomancer? That seems a little odd.

Maybe a fix for this would be to grant an additional IP for VR-only hacking? Or not. I am by far not the best person to be talking about the Hacking rules with any amount of understanding. biggrin.gif

Well, that, or magic. Yeah. Cyber gives 4IP, magic gives 4IP, techno's get 4IP. Everyone gets 4IP except hackers and riggers.
A little bit of cyber, or maybe an expensive commlink add-on that gave +1IP when VR would go a long way towards evening them up, and I think it's just a question of whether we'll see it in Augmentation, Arsenal, or Unwired.
2bit
QUOTE (Fortune)
The thing is, not every single hacker is going to have Initiative-enhancing ware (or Spell). And even those that do will not all have three (or even two) extra IP.

Those that have made that rather large investment will benefit from this ruling, but then they have also used resources gaining the AR/meat bonuses, which might have been put to other, more Hacker related uses.

This really shouldn't be that much of a factor in most games.

Uh huh. Except that we're talking about 7 BP's worth of resources and 3 essence on an archetype for which essence is not an overly valuable commodity. And the day your group's hacker get it is the day you can erase "life threatening cybercombat" from your list of possible threats. The hackers that don't have this either cannot afford it, or are putting themselves at risk needlessly.

Remember, standard grade Wired 2 is available at chargen for 32,000; just under 7 BP's. That's all you need to get hot sim speed with immunity to dumpshock and black IC. . . . an extremely worthwhile hacking investment. . .

I suppose that 7 BPs could have been put to more hacker related uses, though. That could almost get you 2 points of a skill, or 7 or more programs. The thing is though, it's a huge boon and not at all in character for hackers. Wired Reflexes is the signature samurai piece of cyberware. It shouldn't be something so good for hacking too.
Serbitar
Hackers will get 4 IPs in Unwired.
The question is: Do you like the thought of speed of thought being "only" as fast as a chipped meat body.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Serbitar)
The question is: Do you like the thought of speed of thought being "only" as fast as a chipped meat body.

No sir, I do not!
But at least it would be a step-up from now, where the speed of thought is considerably slower than the speed of meat.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Hackers will get 4 IPs in Unwired.

Negative, I think it was a bad call on the devs. Even with today's computers, if someone with ungodly typing skills were to type as fast as they could, the computer wouldnt be able to keep up with it. A direct link from brain to computer should be a hell of a lot faster than a I/O keyboard or gloves...
Think about how much a VR person sacrafices to have that increased speed in the matrix and how little the AR person does... Not being able to act in the real world while messing around in the Matrix is huge...
2bit
QUOTE (noneuklid @ Dec 7 2006, 04:08 PM)
As a side note, can AR users actually access nodes the same way VR users can?  It seems like some nodes are only really comprehensible in VR terms...

Aside from Ultraviolet hosts and whatever unseen mysteries await us in Unwired, I believe AR users can access and do anything VR users can. Accessing matrix nodes in AR can be like browsing futuristic web pages, I suppose. You'll have a list of icons within the node youre accessing, representing applications you can access, hyperlinks to other nodes, programs running on the node, and users accessing the node. How you present that info is up to you.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Remember to check the test-durations of extended actions though - there are some that take 6-24 times as long in AR than VR (and you're not doing anything else in the meantime.)
Jaid
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
Remember to check the test-durations of extended actions though - there are some that take 6-24 times as long in AR than VR (and you're not doing anything else in the meantime.)

you mean *a* test. one which should not involve you facing any IC, for that matter.

what really boggles my mind is this: how does wired 2 help someone with a DNI and sim module manipulate AR faster? unless it is speeding up their thoughts...

anyways, +2 dice is a pretty big deal, imo. it's a substantial boost. and really, is there a huge difference in level of screwed over between "i took some damage from black IC" and "i just screwed up royally and now alarms are going off all over the system because i was 1 success short".

if you really want though, i suppose you could do something similar to what vehicle skills do; using VR instead of AR reduces thresholds by 1. this is a bonus worth having (hotsim would still also give +2 dice still).

how does that sound?
Serbitar
I dont like meat speeds being faster than thought in any way. Period.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Serbitar)
I dont like meat speeds being faster than thought in any way. Period.

After thinking about it some though, there are some body functions that react faster than your consious thoughts, but most of those are instinct like catching a ball or blocking something headed towards your face.
Consious thoughts should be alot faster than consious actions, due to the time it takes for your mind to transfer the signals to your limbs and whatnot, though that is the who think Wired or Boosters effect, which creates a sort of loop in the argument.
Thought should be faster than meatbody actions, but the ware's whole purpose is to make your body operate close to the spead of thought...

Truthfully, they should have just said that AR can only handle 1 action per turn, just to keep VR a viable tactic. Though they CAN go back and edit the FAQ, if they wish to accept that the first decision they came to was the wrong one for the balance of the game.
Jack Kain
Just throw in the complex nature of using these programs and your speed diffference problem is solved.
Serbitar
The more complex it gets, the bigger the difference between meat speeds and speed of thought gets.

I can think far faster than I can type(point my mouse, use gloves), and it is incredibly faster to just think what you want to do instead of even formulating the thought "vocaly" in your mind.

E.g.:
-Typing "I go through that door", pointing an arrow to a door icon.
-Thinking "I go through that door"
- A simple mental impulse that means that you want to go through that door, without even fully formulating the thought, mybe just visualizing it.

By the way: Balancing is not an issue here. The FAQ answer is balanced. I just dont like it one bit, because of style and fluff reasons.

The SR4 problems is, that SR4 Matrix should ahve not only 4 "meat" IPs (just like the "response" of a computer should be orders of magnitude faster than a humans reaction and thus not comparable), but maybe 20 of them. But as this is not playable, reducing AR to only 1 is a good workarround.

Its all about the look, feel and style you want hackers to have.
BlueRondo
What if, to represent VR's speed advantage, you made all Complex Actions into Simple Actions, and Simple actions could be used either as Simple or Free Actions?
Jaid
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
What if, to represent VR's speed advantage, you made all Complex Actions into Simple Actions, and Simple actions could be used either as Simple or Free Actions?

hmmm... i kinda like that... it lets you do some rather impressive things.

the question is, is that too much?

(i'm inclined to say no at first, but it's best to think it through before saying anything is all...)
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Dec 7 2006, 09:39 PM)

hmmm... i kinda like that... it lets you do some rather impressive things.

the question is, is that too much?

(i'm inclined to say no at first, but it's best to think it through before saying anything is all...)

Since all it will do is speed up getting through overly complex security while the team either waits or fights, I'd say no. I'd even go so far as to suggest using cold sim doubles your regular IPs and using hot sim triples it. That, at least, would allow hackers with better mental reflexes to deal with oncoming problems more realisticly.
Jaid
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
Since all it will do is speed up getting through overly complex security while the team either waits or fights, I'd say no. I'd even go so far as to suggest using cold sim doubles your regular IPs and using hot sim triples it. That, at least, would allow hackers with better mental reflexes to deal with oncoming problems more realisticly.

well, no... it means that you can make two gunnery attacks per round, as compared to a non-VR user's one. and so forth. it's really extremely powerful in any situation where you aren't facing extended tests with set intervals.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 7 2006, 11:08 PM)

well, no... it means that you can make two gunnery attacks per round, as compared to a non-VR user's one. and so forth. it's really extremely powerful in any situation where you aren't facing extended tests with set intervals.

Good point. I always forget about rigging.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (noneuklid)
Well, let's consider this in quasi real-world terms. Why would you want to try to hack (in either sense of the word) using a full VR interface rather than your cellphone/PDA, which is essentially what a commlink is?

we are here talking about a mobile phone with a screen the size of a wall, and any number of specialized keyboards and other interfaces wink.gif

isn't AR grand?
PlatonicPimp
I find it odd that we get this discussion so often, and yet, we also get the discussion on occassion about how unrealistic it is that VR provides such great hacking benifits.

Who remembers this line of logic: "programs are code, and hackers usually bypass the interface to work directly with the code. Hackers wouldn't be any faster in a VR interface becuase they don't use a computer's interface that way in the frist place?"

I still think those +2 dice to all tests is worth the trade off, but that's me.
2bit

If I'm in the middle of a run where I need to pay attention to my surroundings for my own safety, it's not worth the risk to me. Just being able to move while hacking at hot sim speeds could be huge!
If I'm on a dedicated matrix run where my meat bod is safe, I'll take that 2 dice advantage, thank you very much. . . until cybercombat starts. I'd rather have immunity to death than 2 bonus dice, thank you very much.
Also, since it's a free action, you can switch states often; several times within a combat round if you so choose.
Konsaki
QUOTE (2bit)

If I'm in the middle of a run where I need to pay attention to my surroundings for my own safety, it's not worth the risk to me. Just being able to move while hacking at hot sim speeds could be huge!
If I'm on a dedicated matrix run where my meat bod is safe, I'll take that 2 dice advantage, thank you very much. . . until cybercombat starts. I'd rather have immunity to death than 2 bonus dice, thank you very much.
Also, since it's a free action, you can switch states often; several times within a combat round if you so choose.

And since you are always running at 3IP in both meat or matrix, unless you somehow have 4IP in meat, you dont lose any IP in switching.
For the most part though, I can see anyone with 3IP+ in meat just working in AR. Hell, I could see mages with improved reflex spell sustained while they hack away in AR, with a couple of spare spells, they could be a really great mage/hacker team member.
Lantzer
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
But at least it would be a step-up from now, where the speed of thought is considerably slower than the speed of meat.

You mean the speed of Metal. Or the speed of Magic, or the speed of E-thought (TMs).

It's not as bad as it sounds.

Mr. Meat-boy ain't keeping up with you on the matrix while you are VR and He is AR.

Jaid
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
Good point. I always forget about rigging.

rigging was just an example. i can't say i have a problem with riggers getting two attacks per IP, 'cause hey, guess what? so do sammys!

however, this also allows the rigger to, say... go on full defense while still shooting. or, alternately, to actually control the vehicle while still shooting.

it allows a VR hacker to attack twice in a round, or to attack once and go on full defense.

it basically turns VR into a "i need to have this" kind of thing, rather than "+2 dice? well, i guess that's useful as long as i'm not in even the tiniest bit of danger".

i'm not sure if it would even unbalance anything... well, maybe the rigger going full defense while still shooting is a bit crazy, but otherwise, it still sounds good to me. particularly since riggers no longer get to dodge with their own attributes, but are instead limited to response.

(on a side note, TMs using a threaded command CF just got even scarier though... but then again, TMs being scary when they are using machines is very reasonable, imo)
PlatonicPimp
Bah. All you people are pussies. What's a little scorching against being the best? If you won't risk your frontal lobe, don't play in the submersion pool, kiddies.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Bah. All you people are pussies. What's a little scorching against being the best? If you won't risk your frontal lobe, don't play in the submersion pool, kiddies.

Eh, I dunno. My hacker is pretty hardcore. Rather than using a commlink to hack, he just jams a rusty nail into his forhead and the sheer badassery makes all the nodes around him just do what he wants without him having to even say.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 9 2006, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Dec 9 2006, 01:01 AM)

Eh, I dunno. My hacker is pretty hardcore. Rather than using a commlink to hack, he just jams a rusty nail into his forhead and the sheer badassery makes all the nodes around him just do what he wants without him having to even say.

Ahh yes. The optional Badassery stat.

I think that was cut from later editions.

Here's the text in my book, which falls immediately after Notoriety.

"While some who run the Shadows do so out of need, there are others who are simply destined to be kings. In the Awakened world, some of them become true royalty, but others simply rule the streets.

Characters gain Badassery much like they gain Notoriety. Badassery may be rolled in place of any opposed test, and a character may roll Badassery in place of any attribute or skill (or both).

Some of the things Badassery is gained for include:
Specializations. These include Unarmed Combat (Ninja), Negotiation (Ahnold), Pistols (Feeling Lucky) and Blades (Dual wield Katanas).
Qualities like Hit Me Again Punk, Is That All You've Got? and Yo Momma.
Having more than 4 ranks in any combat skill except Archery. Archery is not badass.

Badassery is lost for:
Specializations. These include Unarmed Combat (Savate), Negotiation (French), Pistols (Flourescent) and Handle Animal (My Little Ponies).
Being an Elf.
Qualities like Combat Paralysis, Allergy (Leather Jackets) and Addiction (Classical Music).
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Having more than 4 ranks in any combat skill except Archery. Archery is not badass.

I think someone needs to watch the Rambo movies again, for he has lost the path.
Butterblume
Well, Rambo had ExExArrows. But that was before The Errata™.

Incidentally, didn't I just read a few days ago that there will be a new Rambo movie in 2008?
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Well, Rambo had ExExArrows. But that was before The Errata™.

Incidentally, didn't I just read a few days ago that there will be a new Rambo movie in 2008?

Indeed there will, and Rambo will be fighting hackers played by Angelina Jolie and her ex-husband Johnny Lee Miller. Ok, not really... he'll be rescuing Christian missionaries from the Chinese in Tibet, but my plot would have been cooler.
Jaid
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Dec 9 2006, 11:38 AM)
Having more than 4 ranks in any combat skill except Archery.  Archery is not badass.

I think someone needs to watch the Rambo movies again, for he has lost the path.

i think someone needs to look up a troll archer thread, and observe the fact that *normal* arrows can make the PAC look like a water pistol in shadowrun. nyahnyah.gif

let alone injection arrows.

(besides, you can also use semiautomatic crossbows with the archery skill, can't you? )
2bit
my very first shadowrun character was a street sam archer. god, i think he even had grenade arrows.
lorechaser
Archery is *effective*.

That's not nearly the same as badass. wink.gif

Poisoning a bases' water supply until they all die is good tactics. Airdropping in the middle of the base with dual grenade launchers is Bad Ass. It's a difference of style. wink.gif
lorechaser
Double post.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Poisoning a bases' water supply until they all die is good tactics. Airdropping in the middle of the base with dual grenade launchers is Bad Ass. It's a difference of style. wink.gif

Im in ur base, killin ur dudes?
Serbitar
all your base are belong to us!
lorechaser
I am inside ur fortifications, enacting fatal attacks upon ur conscripts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012