Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR3] MicroDrone - Eyes of God
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
Due to a lack of decent selections in the 'microDrone' category of Rigger3, thought I'd post up the 'Eyes of God' our Rigger designed for use. Forgive the name, our Rigger Player finds it humourous to call his character God due to always hearing on the transciever, "Oh God... get us out of here!"

Eyes of God are a nearly invisible microDrone that fits in the palm of your hand.

Electric Micro Rotary Wing Drone - Costs: 25,000
  • Load: 5
  • Speed: 50
  • Acceleration: 10
  • Signature: 12
  • Fuel: 9pf
  • Consumption: 1.25
  • Body: 0
  • CF: 0
  • Handling: 2
  • Armour: 0
  • Pilot: 1
  • Sensors: 1
  • Photovoltaic Paint
This is in addition to his 2 Steel Lynx', his 4 LoneStar Strato Drones, his 2 GMC Bulldogs (One which has had its entire CF dedicated to Drone Racks, the other a Remote Control - only, with extra seats. nyahnyah.gif)

Oddly enough, he's not even specialized in drones, he's built as a Security Rigger....
Pendaric
For your delectation...link
Kagetenshi
How did you get a Load of 5? Last I checked, micro UAVs had a cap of 3.

It's a good drone, but given that Body 0 drones can't take any damage, ever, I think it's too expensive for most uses.

~J
Fix-it
it's a recon drone, not a manhack.
Kagetenshi
I know it's a recon drone, but even recon drones take damage sometimes. Whether it be from being detected and shot down or from being too close to an explosion or other AOE attack, the less it costs to get a replacement the better.

~J
Sphynx
Depends on the Power Plant, Kage. Battery are 3 max, Electric are 5. This is an Electric model.

And costwise, personally I agree. Not my call though, that's by-the-book I believe on cost. I think he spent alot to upgrade the amount of fuel it could carry and the fuel consumption, 12 times further than usual.
Kagetenshi
Ah, got it. In general I interpret Electric without any further qualifier as battery, as compared to Electric Fuel Cell or EFC. I think that's supported by the usage in R3, but I'm not certain—it may just be an error made habitual.

And yeah, most of the cost looks like it comes from the Economy increases and the paint job.

~J
Sir_Psycho
it's a recon drone, not a manhack.

Oh wow. Can some-one please make a manhack? biggrin.gif
nezumi
My other complaint is that with sensors of 1, it really won't be catching much. I'd prefer my condor with a sensor rating of 5 over this with a sensor of 1 for most uses.
Sphynx
Sensor 1 has alot. o.O That gives it low light, 50x Mag, RangeFinder, Video Recorder, radar and audio. All transmittable to the Rigger. And only 1/3rd of the price for the LoneStar equivalent model in SotA:2064 nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
And only 1 die to roll for perception tests. Reading the perception tables, that means at most 1 success - "something is there".
Sphynx
When you're not in the captain's seat, not directly in control of the drone. The drone doesn't see the cat coming, the rigger isn't informed the cat is coming unless he's paying attention to the screen because the drone didn't tell him. Anybody watching the video feed from the drone can obviously see the cat coming, as can anyone who watches it later.
nezumi
Precisely. I'm assuming the rigger will be busy enough with other things that putting a couple points into sensor, even at the cost of a few points in signature, is well worth the effort. Plus, heaven forbid anything go bang nearby the drone and it has to resist 2L damage. The rigger is immediately dumpshocked, no saving throws.

I can't put this to watch the facility from outside because I have to actively babysit it, which is wasting my skills as a rigger. Just as well, its uber-high signature isn't really as useful out in the open, so put up the modified condor (the condor can be upgraded to 5 sensors). With 5 dice, it has a reasonable chance of rolling enough successes to determine if "something" is worth alerting me about or not.

I'm hesitant to use it on the inside because an explosion anywhere nearby or a solid hit is instant dumpshock (plus the loss of 25 grand).

It IS useful for a true, 100% covert mission where you have a little moth bobbling around hallways, spying on stuff. Could probably run it through the ventilation shafts and whatnot. But then it's only a little more useful than the renraku spider which is almost half the price.

That said, it's certainly useful enough that I wouldn't mind offering it to my players, so thank you for the addition.
Sphynx
Can't put any more into a microdrone. CF = 0. Sensors 1 is as good as it gets. Your only option is to make it a robot with a simulated AI, and you're looking at a price tag of about x10 to do that. Of course there are jobs for other types of drones, this one has its specific purpose (and I'd think using an invisibleish drone, you'd want to guarantee it remained invisible by maintaining control.... nyahnyah.gif)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
And only 1 die to roll for perception tests. Reading the perception tables, that means at most 1 success - "something is there".

Wrong! It gets one die for active sensors. For passive sensors, you use the Intelligence of whoever is looking through the drone.

It certainly limits autonomy, but that's the price you pay for size. Besides, every non-Robot drone is dramatically better when Rigged than when acting autonomously.

Precisely. I'm assuming the rigger will be busy enough with other things that putting a couple points into sensor, even at the cost of a few points in signature, is well worth the effort. Plus, heaven forbid anything go bang nearby the drone and it has to resist 2L damage. The rigger is immediately dumpshocked, no saving throws.

Can't have it both ways. If the Rigger isn't jumped into the drone, making the sensor less important, the Rigger can't be dumpshocked no matter what horrible things happen to the drone. If the Rigger is jumped in, it can at least try to dodge.

It IS useful for a true, 100% covert mission where you have a little moth bobbling around hallways, spying on stuff. Could probably run it through the ventilation shafts and whatnot.

And here we discover that drones have "roles", and that most drones don't work very well when assigned to a task outside their "role". Though I don't agree that "needs to surveil inside" = 100% covert.

But then it's only a little more useful than the renraku spider which is almost half the price.

With all due respect, bullshit. The ability to cross open space without having to be adjacent to a surface is /huge/, as is the greater mobility. The spider is better for some roles, especially those that require things like navigating very tight spaces, but now we're getting back to those "roles" thing I talked about before.

~J
nezumi
For the runs I've seen, an unarmed drone has a few basic roles -

1) Act as a lesser piece of equipment like a bug - it just records stuff and transmits it to another place for observation by another party. For this it would be useful once you get it to the spot

2) Active observation from a safe place outside of the facility - this would not be good for that role for the reasons I stated (sensor rating is so low it would have to be babysat)

3) Active observation on the shoulder of a party member to keep the rigger 'in the loop' as well as to allow the party to peek around corners - this drone isn't good for that role either because it's too easily destroyed, causing dumpshock

4) A covert spying mission, exploring the interior of the facility independently

Given the little color blurb at the beginning ("oh God, get us out of here!") I assumed the drone was built for roles 2 and 3, and the stab of my argument is that it is inappropriate for that role. Perhaps the drone should, at minimum, have a new color intro paragraph.

For 1 and 4, it's similar to the Renraku crawler drone. However, if I had to choose between a 10 inch long object that's crawling up a wall or a 10 inch long object that's flying quickly through the air, I would have to assume that the latter is the one more likely to be spotted, so again, it's limited in its use. Because it can't crawl, it would have to be more careful where it flies. Now granted, it's low handling score and high signature means that it can more easily hug the contours of office furniture or whatnot, but speaking as a GM, a fast moving flying object would seem more easily spotted than a slow moving crawling one "the size of a spider".

So ultimately, the drone is useful, but it has a very, very specific set of purposes, and has stiff competition from its much cheaper spider cousin, who is smaller and (IMO) stealthier, but more limited in mobility. If we have more offices with giant gaps in the floor that need to be jumped over, or obviously in locations with plenty of headspace like manufacturing facilities, it will be the choice. Otherwise, it's probably something I, as a rigger, would give secondary preference to.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 18 2006, 02:53 PM)
1)  Act as a lesser piece of equipment like a bug - it just records stuff and transmits it to another place for observation by another party.  For this it would be useful once you get it to the spot

Agreed.

2)  Active observation from a safe place outside of the facility - this would not be good for that role for the reasons I stated (sensor rating is so low it would have to be babysat)

Usually agreed, but it depends on the situation. In a crowded area where blimps are vulnerable to visual identification, it can be worth it to just jump into the drone every few seconds for a look-see.

3)  Active observation on the shoulder of a party member to keep the rigger 'in the loop' as well as to allow the party to peek around corners - this drone isn't good for that role either because it's too easily destroyed, causing dumpshock

Semi-disagree. I think a spider is better for this role, but I disagree with your "too easily destroyed" objection—in order to get something more difficult to destroy, you need to go to a nominal mass of 20 kilos and a minimum mass of 5 kilos. That is not a shoulder-sitter, at least not unless you're on the light side of that range and have a Troll.

4)  A covert spying mission, exploring the interior of the facility independently

Given the little color blurb at the beginning ("oh God, get us out of here!") I assumed the drone was built for roles 2 and 3, and the stab of my argument is that it is inappropriate for that role.  Perhaps the drone should, at minimum, have a new color intro paragraph.

IMO that was introducing its name, which derives from the person who uses it rather than the role of the drone.

For 1 and 4, it's similar to the Renraku crawler drone.  However, if I had to choose between a 10 inch long object that's crawling up a wall or a 10 inch long object that's flying quickly through the air, I would have to assume that the latter is the one more likely to be spotted, so again, it's limited in its use.  Because it can't crawl, it would have to be more careful where it flies.  Now granted, it's low handling score and high signature means that it can more easily hug the contours of office furniture or whatnot, but speaking as a GM, a fast moving flying object would seem more easily spotted than a slow moving crawling one "the size of a spider".

First off, you're almost doubling the size of the only specified-length drone we have. Second, IMO you're assuming the rotodrone pilot is incompetent—many areas have things that can be hidden under, behind, above, etc. etc. etc.

So ultimately, the drone is useful, but it has a very, very specific set of purposes

Agree.

and has stiff competition from its much cheaper spider cousin

Disagree.

who is smaller

Why do you claim this?

If we have more offices with giant gaps in the floor that need to be jumped over, or obviously in locations with plenty of headspace like manufacturing facilities, it will be the choice.

How about if we have open areas but will need to go inside buildings? It can be tough to get a spider across a busy street, while a rotodrone just needs to zip across sometime when a minimum number of people are looking. It can even go straight up for a while first to increase the chances of anyone who actually sees it mistaking it for a bird. Then, unlike the blimp, it can enter through any appropriately-sized holes in the structure.

Otherwise, it's probably something I, as a rigger, would give secondary preference to.

That's your choice. I think it's a bad choice, but your mileage apparently varies.

~J, whose fleet always (when possible) includes both a spider and a micro-rotodrone
nezumi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
3)  Active observation on the shoulder of a party member to keep the rigger 'in the loop' as well as to allow the party to peek around corners - this drone isn't good for that role either because it's too easily destroyed, causing dumpshock

Semi-disagree. I think a spider is better for this role, but I disagree with your "too easily destroyed" objection—in order to get something more difficult to destroy, you need to go to a nominal mass of 20 kilos and a minimum mass of 5 kilos. That is not a shoulder-sitter, at least not unless you're on the light side of that range and have a Troll.

In the case of shoulder hopping, yes, something larger would be better (unless it's just sitting in the guy's pocket inconspicuously, in which case why pay the extra $10,000 for it to be able to fly? It's basically a transceiver with cameras you stick to walls now and again.)

Second, IMO you're assuming the rotodrone pilot is incompetent

It only has a rating of 1. That's pretty low, even for a dog-brain.

who is smaller

Why do you claim this?

For some reason I got it in my head that the new drone is about 10 inches. I always read that the spider drone can "squeeze into anywhere a spider can fit", which would make it pretty small. Doing the math (I can do meters, not centimeters), it's about 6.5 inches, which is more than I imagined it.

I will also admit that I'm very biased because I have never seen the situations you've listed come up in a game. Different GMs, obviously, but my spider drones have gotten very little use, unfortunately.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
Second, IMO you're assuming the rotodrone pilot is incompetent

It only has a rating of 1. That's pretty low, even for a dog-brain.

I was vague there. I meant the piloting Rigger.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012