Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Matrix Dicepool Rules ReWrite
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Konsaki
Freelancers, Dumpshockers, Admins,

How would someone go about trying to get the Matrix dicepool rules rewritten to fall in line with all the other dicepool rules for the game?

Dicepool for Matrix = Skill + Program
Dicepool for everything else = Attribute + Skill

This makes no sense and also breaks other rules, like how to default, for example. There have been many suggestions for changing it to a Attribute+Skill (number of hits limited by program rating + 1 [to allow defaulting due to lack of program]) just like how magic works... why wasnt this done in the first place? Just to be 'different'? I'd rather have a ruleset that made sense and flowed with the rest of the book than just different for just the sake of being different...

So I ask yet again, How would someone or a group of someones go about getting the core rulebook on Matrix actions rewriten?
Lovesmasher
Well, with my 8 logic, I'd certainly have loved that.
Xenith
While its strange that Logic has no bearing on the skill Hacking, the fact the program is used makes sense to me.

Personally, I see it like this; The program rating IS the base stat, and without this special stat, you are unable to perform the action related to it. Its very much like a drones pilot rating, since its really weird that a physical stat like reaction is used while hopped into what is essentially a different body.

Without the proper tools, a person is essentially out of luck.

However, you could house rule some program creation rules. Some sort of Software + Logic test would likely be involved. I'm not going to touch this though, its up to you really.
Konsaki
If you reread the OP, you will see that programs are factored into the fix, as a limiter to the amount of hits 'just like the force of spells'
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
Well, with my 8 logic, I'd certainly have loved that.

...ditto [Violet]
Xenith
The "OP"? I must be out of the loop, I've no idea what you're talking about.
knasser

It looks alright to me. I assume the attribute that replaces all of the programs is Logic in which case, Log + Skill limited by program looks fine to me.

A brilliant person can still be badly constrained by a lack of software, realistically. But being intelligent needs to have a role in there somewhere. Heck, the way it stands right now you could use skill softs and have a pretty effective hacker with a 1 in every attribute.

The only problem that leaps out at me with your adjustment is one of balance. You can't normally get programs rated higher than 6, but you will start to see a lot of hackers with Logic 8 or 9. I don't think the mild boost to their power level is a terrible thing, though.

Caveat: I don't play with technomancers so I don't know if there are any balance issues there.

-K.
Fortune
QUOTE (Xenith)
The "OP"?

OP stands for Original Post or Original Poster. wink.gif
Xenith
I'll throw something out there. (Edit: Now I know XD)

You could, again, keep the old system, but limit the Rating of the program by Logic (much like System). The same could be used in reverse. Either way, you're basically using the smaller of the two.

Exceptional Attr, Codeslinger, and perhaps a new Hacker edge could be used to expand this.
Jaid
actually, the logic + skill, limited by program/CF model works very nicely to make technomancers not suck, imo. all of a sudden, rating 4 CFs is not the end of the world, and the TM already wanted a good logic anyways. what this does is make the TM have a similar dicepool to hackers, and the possibility to spread their points around a lot more on CFs rather than needing to have every single CF at as high a rating as possible.

of course, on the downside it means that they have to lose resonance to get their logic above their natural maximum (barring magical assistance, of course), but on the other hand anytime the program rating matters a lot they can still thread (for example, command and attack both benefit from a higher rating outside of adding to the dicepool) and really shine in those areas.

the rule also has the effect of not absolutely needing to have the highest rating programs possible to start. it makes hackers capable of becoming better than agents more easily (previously they had to have skill 6, program 6, and a reflex recorder, or a natural skill of 7 via a costly special quality. now, they can be up to 4 dice better in their dicepool, or 3 without special qualities, right out of chargen).

personally, i really like the rule.
Konsaki
Xenith, your fix still doesnt fix the problem that it doesnt interface with some of the rules outside of the matrix, like defaulting... What exactly do you default to, and when do you default? When you dont have the skill or when you dont have the program?
Under the current rules, you would default to your linked attribute and that could be anywhere from 1-10... But still doesnt make sense in the rules that I could have a hacker with 1 hacking skill, no program, and default to a 10 Logic that is busted down to a 9 due to defaulting. Then you add on the +2 from being in hot sim, and you have 11 dice for defaulting... that isnt right, and it's my belief that the devs screwed the pooch on this one when they deviated from the normal dicepool rules.
Jaid
oh, also forgot to mention... normally, the limit to hits is actually program rating +1, so that you can theoretically default and accomplish something... just not something terribly impressive.
Konsaki
Ah, forgot that, will edit the OP to reflect. Thank you.
De Badd Ass
In real life, the hacker with skill 6 + program 1 will outperform the hacker with skill 1 + program 6. The rules don't take that into account, probably to simplify game play.

Similarly, in RL, Logic 6 + program 1 will outperform Logic 1 + program 6.

---------------------

Slight change of subject. From a number of posts, I get the feeling that the goal here is to create more powerful hackers "out of the box" and otherwise.
yesman
I like the idea of making Logic + Skill rolls for hacking, but I don't see why Program rating shouldn't add to skill pools in the same way Device ratings do. Programs pretty much are little virtual devices.

This covers more ground for combinations of Logic, Skill, and Program too.

might have to change systems to use: Response + System + Program for opposed tests though.
Xenith
Again, each program is in actuality a very focused special stat, like pilot or sensor. First time I ran I had never even looked at the matrix rules other than flipping through the pages really quickly. Once. I still used the Program + Hacking thing and it made sense to me.

A person should not be allowed to default if they don't have the program. Period. Thats my answer. Without the correct tools (even crappy basic ones) the task is not possible. Again, perhaps a Software + Logic test could change this.

Making a program act very much like a spell seems silly to me, but if you want to use it that way no ones stopping you. I'm just here to give you suggestions and perhaps offer inspiration.

*And TMs are powerful for those who know how to use them. Threading allows a Technomancer to exceed his Resonance (as System does not limit Complex Form ratings, Resonance does) to up to double the stat. Its not a complex form its a threaded complex form. Heh.
knasser
QUOTE (De Badd Ass)
Slight change of subject. From a number of posts, I get the feeling that the goal here is to create more powerful hackers "out of the box" and otherwise.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not my goal. But I find the proposed system more aesthetically pleasing. In one sense it also makes hackers less powerful out of the box because they can no longer hit their maximum potential straight out of char gen. For a player that wants to focus on hacking in the existing system, he will find that with the addition of about 20 karma to his starting character he has no where else to go. And that's not fun.

QUOTE (De Badd Ass)

In real life, the hacker with skill 6 + program 1 will outperform the hacker with skill 1 + program 6. The rules don't take that into account, probably to simplify game play.

Similarly, in RL, Logic 6 + program 1 will outperform Logic 1 + program 6.

Maybe. There's a time issue to this. By writing macros in Excel I can duplicate a pivot table. And doing so, I can actually make it do more than Excel's standard functionality. But do you know how long that would take me? And how maintainable would it be for the next situation? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I don't think you'd always be right. Really, a lot is going to depend on what we consider the SR term Program to mean. Is that little dictionary file of common passwords a program or not? It's probably below that level, but a hacker will have a whole tonne of things like that lying around - scripts, applications, pre-prepared SQL exploits, etc. Maybe all together they add up to a SR "Program." Who knows? But I think you can make a case for high logic and skill characters still being limited by their program rating so the proposed system can work very well in terms of fluff.
Jaid
QUOTE (Xenith)
*And TMs are powerful for those who know how to use them. Threading allows a Technomancer to exceed his Resonance (as System does not limit Complex Form ratings, Resonance does) to up to double the stat. Its not a complex form its a threaded complex form. Heh.

you know, i just typed up a huge post and decided not to use it 'cause that just annoyed the hell outta me, and it showed. (heck, i'm looking over this and it still shows, but at least this is shorter).

so, long story short: i don't give a crap if a technomancer can become the grand high emperor of all cybercombat hackers, because he won't fragging be able to do a damn thing in every other area of his supposed specialty. technomancers are not crappy because they are unable to get high dicepools, they suck because they can't get any dicepool at all in over half of their supposed specialty area without risking fading for inconsistent returns, and to even reach the point of having good dicepools in their one area they have to cripple themselves completely and utterly in all areas that are not directly related.

hackers are simply better because they can actually do their whole job, not just a part of it, and because they can cover other jobs to some extent as well.

to put it another way: when was the last time you saw someone try to make a combat technomancer? compare to the number of combat hackers you have seen.

the BP requirement gap is too big, and additional disadvantages of the technomancer too large.
Xenith
Sorry. I disagree due to experience as a GM. Made a combat hacker. The technomancer, with an attack program of 1, took him down via threading and his edge (the hacker also used his group edge.. all of it..). And the combat hacker was basically at Runner skill level and the technomancer was a little less than that.

Yes, they pay in that they usually lack cyber. Oh well. Its all in how you use them.

Hackers are by no means underpowered, frankly the drawbacks and karma cost of a technomancer balance them out with the hacker.
Garrowolf
There are alot of threads about this. Different people have their house rules from place to place. Personally I go with treating matrix actions just like any other action and roll atribute + skill. Then treat the programs as devices.

Keep in mind that a real hacker can and does hack without these specialty programs. They just make the job faster. I just say that a hacker can't fast hack without a program. Personally I think that hackers should have to write their own programs which would get rid of this sillyness about everyone getting hacking programs on the black market. THen it will be a function of skill not money.

I would limit the usable program rating as equal to the skill rating that is using it. This means that you should not be able to default on hacking, or at least not allow fast hacking without the skill. I would also not allow someone to take hacking group skills without Computer and Software at least at 3.

Now having the programs as devices doesn't necessarilly mean that you are going to end up with large dice pools. You can use the ratings in other ways. Have exploit negate it's rating in Firewalls. Have decrypt negate a certain level of encrypt. Try and find ways to make them static ratings instead of dice and you can use alot of programs in the course of 1 roll and make hacking much faster.
Chandon
Making changes like this to a game without unexpectedly changing a whole bunch of stuff is really hard.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that you can just drop in the spell mechanic in place of the current hacking mechanic and everything will work fine - this is blatantly false. There are two huge changes this makes in the game:

- You can no longer get a bunch of hits at once. It becomes actually impossible to hack into admin access on the fly [in a single action] - even if you spend karma.
- Low program ratings suddenly really, really suck. With the official rules, the difference between rating 3 and rating 6 is three dice on the test. With the "like magic" rules, a rating 3 program is really unusable - you can no longer get exceptional rolls at all. We have program ratings from 1 - 6, making half of those possibilities utterly useless is lame.

I've been suggesting "Cap effective program rating at logic" as a potential house rule. It has most of the beneficial properties of the other suggestion without the disadvantages.

But... I'm probably not going to use that either myself. What I'm more likely to use is some Software SOTA rules. If software ratings degrade but can be maintained with Logic + Software rolls and time - then both hackers and script kiddies both have their niches.

[edit] clarify my point [/edit]
Jaid
QUOTE (Chandon)
Making changes like this to a game without unexpectedly changing a whole bunch of stuff is really hard.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that you can just drop in the spell mechanic in place of the current hacking mechanic and everything will work fine - this is blatantly false. There are two huge changes this makes in the game:

- You can no longer get a bunch of hits at once. It becomes actually impossible to hack into admin access on the fly - even if you spend karma.
- Low program ratings suddenly really, really suck. With the official rules, the difference between rating 3 and rating 6 is three dice on the test. With the "like magic" rules, a rating 3 program is really unusable - you can no longer get exceptional rolls at all. We have program ratings from 1 - 6, making half of those possibilities utterly useless is lame.

I've been suggesting "Cap effective program rating at logic" as a potential house rule. It has most of the beneficial properties of the other suggestion without the disadvantages.

But... I'm probably not going to use that either myself. What I'm more likely to use is some Software SOTA rules. If software ratings degrade but can be maintained with Logic + Software rolls and time - then both hackers and script kiddies both have their niches.

so limit the hits to hits per interval for extended tests. wow, that sure was hard to fix.

and seriously, a rating 3 program lets you get 4 hits under the above rules. 4 hits is probably not enough for the dedicated hacker all the time (but neither will it always limit him), but then again... what the hell is the dedicated hacker doing with rating 3 programs? it's really not a big deal. those who have dicepools where they're expecting more than 7 hits on a regular basis are the only ones who are suffering, and quite frankly i'm not about to feel too bad about limiting them to "only" 7 successes (assuming they don't spend edge, of course, which eliminates the cap)

so, sure... no professional is gonna be caught dead with a rating 1 program. but you know what? how many hackers have you seen with a rating 1 program so far? the people who take rating 1 programs are the people with crappy dice pools or who only want the program for the most basic tasks in the first place and probably won't be asked to roll it anyways.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Chandon)
- You can no longer get a bunch of hits at once. It becomes actually impossible to hack into admin access on the fly - even if you spend karma.

I dont see where you come to the conclution that you cant hack in at admin levels using hacking on the fly...

To hack on the fly, you spend a Complex Action and make
a Hacking + Exploit (Firewall, 1 Initiative Pass) Extended Test.
This will get you personal account access; if you want securitylevel
access, increase the threshold by +3, or +6 for admin access.
If you beat the threshold, you have bypassed the security
and now have access to the node.
I'm pretty sure extended test means you can have more than 1 shot at it...

Your second point makes little sense due to the fact that any plain hacker, not TM, wouldnt have just a rating 3 program at chargen... Even then, with the rules change, they would have a max of 4 hits on one test, and thats an exceptional effort by the book...
TM's can thread on the fly, based off the new rules, and even if they didnt thread, they are better off due to the fact that they dont need to spend all that BP to have 4-6 in every rating CF at chargen...
Jaid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
TM's can thread on the fly, based off the new rules, and even if they didnt thread, they are better off due to the fact that they dont need to spend all that BP to have 4-6 in every rating CF at chargen...

woah, hold on there... most TMs only *wish* they were even allowed to have every CF out there at some rating at chargen (you know, that time where the cost of CFs isn't as incredibly painful). there's a maximum, you know, and it's typically less than half (closer to a third) of the total programs for any given TM. now, admittedly, some of those aren't absolutely critical, but still, you're not going to have every base covered, nor even anywhere near every base covered (well, you could get near if you severely hurt yourself i suppose, by taking 6 logic to start and cerebral booster 2... ).

this change helps TMs in a few ways:

1) with no program, they can still make the test. they can even spend edge to be allowed to exceed the CF rating of 0. in other words, they don't need to take fading to decrypt, defuse, and so forth.

2) you are correct in that TMs can now get by with lower rating CFs and not be a cripple. this is very important, because the stuff the TM will be rolling instead just so happens to be the stuff they wanted anyways (logic determines system, which determines damage resistance iirc... and they already needed all the skills).

3) they no longer need to spend every drop of karma they get on boosting every single CF to 6. in other words, character advancement becomes meaningful to them in ways other than just catching up to the hacker

4) a loss of resonance (in small amounts) is no longer horribly, brutally crippling. a TM could actually accomplish something useful with a resonance of 4. certainly, not all TMs will jump at the chance to pick up some cyber or bioware, but at least now it doesn't horribly cripple them nearly as much.
Konsaki
The max # of CFs you can have a CharGen is Logic*2, which I understand and thought about during my last post.

1-3 I have no arguments, but one correction. Willpower is Firewall which is used for defense in cybercombat.

4 - you have to remember signal range is based solely on Resonance, Resonance/2 = Signal. So at 4 resonance you are only looking at a 100m range for your TM power, unless you do something smart like buy a Commlink with a Signal 4 and just use it as a repeater...

Overall, you post some good reasons to go to the new system, just on the TM side. Thank you.
Jaid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
1-3 I have no arguments, but one correction. Willpower is Firewall which is used for defense in cybercombat.

you are correct in your statement about willpower being firewall and being used for defense, but that's not what i said.

QUOTE (BBB page 231 @ Damage Resistance)
Damage Resistance
Matrix damage to an icon from an Attack program is resisted
with a System + Armor program Test.

what i said, is that system helps you resist damage. as you can see above.
Konsaki
Ah, my bad... Sorry. Miss-read what you wrote.
Chandon
QUOTE (Jaid @ Dec 9 2006, 03:20 PM)
so, sure... no professional is gonna be caught dead with a rating 1 program. but you know what? how many hackers have you seen with a rating 1 program so far? the people who take rating 1 programs are the people with crappy dice pools or who only want the program for the most basic tasks in the first place and probably won't be asked to roll it anyways.

Sure... I've never seen any character take low rating programs. Either they take no programs, or they take every program at rating 6.

I guess you're right... it's fine if there's no variance in program ratings. But if there's not going to be variance in program ratings, why bother with them at all? Just require the program at rating 6 to attempt the test at all, and have it be Logic + Hacking with no cap.

Wait. No. I don't like that plan. In fact, I'd rather try to make the program rating range (1 - 6) matter to the game, rather than introduce mechanics that effectively remove it.

With the spell mechanic, because there's no hacking equivalent to overcasting, you're basically just saying "in order to hack, you must spend ¥X,000 on programs - once you do that, all your hacking hits are capped at 6". That's not really any cooler than the old rules - it basically just says that you can buy Logic-enhancing bioware to get more dice and then occasionally have the successes from those dice not count.

I think that a SOTA system that allows a hacker to use Logic + Software to prevent their programs from degrading over time makes more sense and has the additional advantage of not introducing a new dice mechanic that hasn't been playtested and has weird side effects.
Jaid
seriously, if 7 hits is limiting you that badly, then it's time to talk to your GM about getting a response 7 commlink and some rating 7 programs... (note, it's program rating +1, not program rating).

honestly, the dice pool is not likely to change that much. i don't see how this new dice mechanic is going to screw everything up.

SOTA rules about upkeeping your program would be all well and good, but... it just leads to either the hacker spending months of not running so he can rewrite all his stuff, or just buying it all over again every so often. i don't see how that improves anything either.

seriously, the new system really just makes it more likely to have people take low or mid rating programs, i can't see why it would cause more to go straight for the top. the suggested mechanic means that people who don't have massive dice pools are going to be perfectly fine with midlevel programs, because being capped at 4 hits is not going to be a problem for many of them.

take a look at it... the hacker will now likely be throwing around 13 dice for hacking at chargen (7 attribute + 5 skill + reflex recorder) or more in their specialisation. the most probable result is 4-5 hits. 7 hits would be a very lucky roll, and won't come up nearly as often as the extra hits generated by any extra dice. comparing this to a probable starting hacker's pool of (5 program + 5 skill + reflex recorder) means the hacker just gained 2 dice (although it was likely only going to be 3-5 runs before the hacker had a response chip to handle all his starting rating 6 programs, and thus be within one die). and it's not as if the hacker gets no synergy from logic either, since they likely have the full electronics skill group anyways.

i really can't see why you're making such a big deal out of this suggested houserule. i mean, if you could show how it is a problem, i might agree, "don't use the houserule". if you just want to say you disagree with the flavor, then that's fine too... you're entitled to your own idea of how your game should be flavored, after all.

but unless you can come up with something solid to show how this is breaking the system horribly (on a side note, iirc Frank has been using this system for a while and hasn't indicated any huge problems), i'm gonna stick with my feeling that this is a better rule than the core book's rule. this is, of course, just my opinion, which i am entitled to in the same manner as yours...

point being, if you just don't like it, then just say you don't like it... but don't bash it unless you've got something to actually show it doesn't work.
Chandon
Jaid -

I think my comments describe my specific issues with this proposed system rather than being mindless "bashing". It's important that the people who are considering this system for their game (and, if Konsaki gets his extremely unlikely hope - the core book) realize that using the spell system to replace the hacking system is a huge change that has noticeable side effects.
Jaid
QUOTE (Chandon)
...realize that using the spell system to replace the hacking system is a huge change that has noticeable side effects.

when the huge change is to make an archetype that previously sucked a lot, suck a whole hell of a lot less, i don't see any problem.

because it really doesn't change much for anyone except the TM, who finally can actually do something without blowing 400 karma to reach chargen hacker levels of competence in the matrix.
Konsaki
This isnt just to help technomancers, this is to revise the matrix dicepool system to realign itself to the way every other dicepool in the game works... I guess they thought it would be cool to change up the way matrix pools work, but it jacks with some basic rules and makes it where everyone is a script kiddie who cant operate if they dont have a stupid program, but if you DO have the programs, they will always be 5 or 6, nothing lower...
Garrowolf
Okay I don't like using the program rating as a limiter for several reasons. One it doesn't match reality at all. I know that doesn't seem to be an important point when it comes to shadowrun matrix systems. A hacker can hack with little or no programs. That is the most important thing to remember! If you limit the hacker to his programs you have defeated the whole concept of hackers who are pitting themselves and their greater then normal understanding of software against the establishment.

Programs are not spells that they are throwing. They can do any of those actions without the programs but it will take time. The programs are automations of actions that they want to do faster. They are their bag of tricks and shortcuts - not the action itself.

Programs are like smart links, not like guns.

Start from that point of view and things will make more sense.
Chandon
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
A hacker can hack with little or no programs. That is the most important thing to remember! If you limit the hacker to his programs you have defeated the whole concept of hackers...

I disagree.

Programs being largely necessary to hack makes perfect sense. The SR4 hacking rules seem to be built to make them closer to the reality of hacking, where to break into a computer system you need to find a hole and write a program to explot it. The "Exploit" tool therefore represents a collection of pre-written exploits and the code to select the right one.

In the real world, once you have the software, this is really sort of a fire and forget process - script kiddies do exist, and the only difference between a script kiddie and a hacker is that a hacker and write his own programs.

If Shadowrun represented the fact that individual hacking techniques get old fast, and the fact that a hacker who's competent at programming can dedicate time to keeping his hacking programs up to date, then the Logic + Software test required to maintain a hacker's programs at a high rating would sufficiently represent the impact of Logic on hacking, and it would be possible to play a script kiddie that had to spend most of his hard-earned cash buying replacements for his obsolete programs. Another concept that's interesting is to force hackers to form "hacker groups" to share the programming load of keeping the group's software up to date.

If stuff a lot like that isn't in Unwired, I'll be very surprised.
Garrowolf
Actually I was thinking that maybe the SOTA rules should be based on each system. Basically think of it as an environmental penalty.

How about this: If you are writing your own programs and are using them on a run then you get to make an upkeep test of Logic + Software or Logic + Hacking vs a threshold step by the gm based on how up to date the system is. Now the threshold may be high if they have an on site spyder or very low if it is a purchased system without monitoring.

If you do your leg work you can find out more about the system from other hackers you could lower this before even rolling. If you do a slow hack first then you could eliminate it altogether by adjusting your programs to deal with the customizations.

Roll to see if you have a penalty in that system. If you don't get higher then the threshold then whatever you didn't get is a penalty to all your actions.

People who bought their programs from someone else would be able to get this roll and would just take the penalty.

BTW real hacking is always slow and doesn't need programs like this. Skilled ones will hamper themselves further to make it more of a challenge, like using a TRS 80, which someone I know did. They don't need a bunch of programs and it never costs them money.

I think that hackers should write all their code with a rating limit of their skill rating but not pay for it. And I think that the craft code table times are bad.
Lovesmasher
Well, the nuyen.gif that you spend your BP on for resources arn't actually money. They're symbolic money that represents work you've done in the past as much as anything else. The programs you're buying when starting up a hacker are, more than likely, all things your hacker has already made unless he's got a seriously low software active skill rating. To just purchase the hacking programs would bring shame upon most hackers and put them in the most hated classification of 'wanna-be'.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Freelancers, Dumpshockers, Admins,

How would someone go about trying to get the Matrix dicepool rules rewritten to fall in line with all the other dicepool rules for the game?

Dicepool for Matrix = Skill + Program
Dicepool for everything else = Attribute + Skill

This makes no sense and also breaks other rules, like how to default, for example. There have been many suggestions for changing it to a Attribute+Skill (number of hits limited by program rating + 1 [to allow defaulting due to lack of program]) just like how magic works... why wasnt this done in the first place? Just to be 'different'? I'd rather have a ruleset that made sense and flowed with the rest of the book than just different for just the sake of being different...

So I ask yet again, How would someone or a group of someones go about getting the core rulebook on Matrix actions rewriten?

I am rewriting this at the moment for SGM 1.0.
Xenith
More importantly, theres the risk of backdoors and trojans written into the programs.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Jaid @ Dec 9 2006, 10:39 PM)
seriously, if 7 hits is limiting you that badly, then it's time to talk to your GM about getting a response 7 commlink and some rating 7 programs... (note, it's program rating +1, not program rating).

honestly, the dice pool is not likely to change that much. i don't see how this new dice mechanic is going to screw everything up.

I did the maths a year ago(can even be found in a thread somewhere in DSF). It is not screwing up anything.
Jaid
QUOTE (Serbitar)

I did the maths a year ago(can even be found in a thread somewhere in DSF). It is not screwing up anything.

well, that's rather what i expected. like i showed earlier, all the changes it makes that i have noticed are changes for the good.

for example:

agent 6 is no longer as good as an unspecialised hacker, who can now bust out up to 9 logic and 6 skill, plus specialisation and special qualities, versus the agent's measley 12 dice. (formerly, the hacker was also limited to 12 dice barring special qualities, specialisation, and hotsim) but even then, it's not like the hacker isn't paying for his extra dice.

technomancers no longer suck.

it's a win-win situation, imo.
knasser

Also it raises the ceiling for hackers so that there is still room to grow after char gen. In the RAW, programs are effectively attributes, which means a hacker can buy a 6 in all the attributes he cares about for around 90,000 nuyen.gif .

I haven't made up my mind about this new system, but it does seem to offer advantages and aesthetically, it is nice to have hackers be brilliant individuals rather than script kiddies.
yesman
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Dec 10 2006, 10:04 AM)

recheck your maths.

I did a quick spreadsheet that (assuming 3dice=Hit) has a non-twinked starting hacker netting 8 hits a third of the time it uses edge to re-roll. I was able to coax that up to 14 hits with a somewhat twinkish, experienced hacker/adept. That's not counting complementary dice from assisting hackers/agents.

Some tests, losing any hits past 7 won't matter for. A lot of tests it will.

(btw, if you've never seen Look Around You : Maths.. you need to, it is very funny)

**edited, because I forgot VRbonus originally.
Chandon
QUOTE (Serbitar)

Link?

I'm visualizing a bell shaped histogram with the top couple bars just missing here, and another one labeled "when spending karma" where the top half is missing. I'd like to see what you've got before I sit down and do the math out myself.
Charon
Well, I wouldn't but if you are hellbent on doing it...

This makes no sense and also breaks other rules, like how to default, for example. There have been many suggestions for changing it to a Attribute+Skill (number of hits limited by program rating + 1 [to allow defaulting due to lack of program])

This is pretty good except I would make it so the number of hits are limited by the program rating, no +1.

I don't see why you should allow defaulting if the Hacker doesn't the right program. Mage don't get to try a spell they don't possess, do they?

But programs will need to reach higher than 6, just like spell. Or simply use Program X 2 to limit the hits.

why wasnt this done in the first place? Just to be 'different'? I'd rather have a ruleset that made sense and flowed with the rest of the book than just different for just the sake of being different...

First of all, it's not that different. It's the same mechanic, it's just the source of the dice pool that is a bit different.

You can't argue that switching to Attribute + Skill for hacking test is for the sake of the flow. I'm pretty sure no player have ever been confused and no game has been slowed down because the rule was confusing. You tell them their pool is skill + program, they nod, and the game goes on.

Secondly, it makes sense and it support how hacking is portrayed ; Skill and the right tool is all it takes to hack well. In a sense, SR hacking is like playing a video game. If you have better skill and your computer doesn't lag, you'll beat your opponent at that Unreal Tournament. Especially if you are running cheat programs that gives you an unfair advantage.

Being smart is important when you are creating the tools of the trade (Using Logic + Software to write a new utility, for example). But when using them, not so much.

Otherwise, it's all about skill/experience + good programs. Unless you believe serious programming can take place in the tenths of a second that a SR Hacking action take place? Many believe that but I just don't buy it and the current rules support that interpretation.

Thirdly : you will have ripple effect if you swap attribute for programs. For one things, programs have a maximum rating of 6 and only the richest hackers have all their programs at 6. Logic can reach 9 and it will be involved in all test.

Hackers dice pool will become much larger overnight and the opposition needs to be adjusted somehow. Which is kinda annoying work for a GM and pointless too when the current system works IMO.
Charon
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 10 2006, 01:36 PM)
Also it raises the ceiling for hackers so that there is still room to grow after char gen. In the RAW, programs are effectively attributes, which means a hacker can buy a 6 in all the attributes he cares about for around 90,000 nuyen.gif .

Not all that much.

You'll just see most of the Hacker starting with Logic 6 ( 8 ) or 5 (7) instead.

Which btw may screw up the TM a bit because they'll pretty much have to take the cerebral booster to keep up but it will cost them one point of resonance.
Chandon
I've been blatantly ignoring the existence of technomancers in this discussion, but I just realized something... Why would technomancer powers have anything to do with Logic at all?
Charon
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 10 2006, 04:29 PM)
I've been blatantly ignoring the existence of technomancers in this discussion, but I just realized something... Why would technomancer powers have anything to do with Logic at all?

When it comes down to it, what does cybercombat performance have to do with the logic of the hacker at all?

Since the TM is essentially using his brain to compute the terabytes of data that the Matrix throw at him, it makes more sense that logic has a direct impact on the TM's performance.

For the hacker, I'm perfectly happy to see logic come up mostly when he programs new tools, to see how fast he can improve his hacking skills (using the learning rules proposed in the FAQ) and things like that.
knasser
QUOTE (Charon @ Dec 10 2006, 09:22 PM)
You'll just see most of the Hacker starting with Logic 6 ( 8 )  or 5 (7) instead.

Really? That's an extra 35BP you casually tossed in there to get the maximum (assuming your hacker would otherwise have Logic 4) which is implied. A little more if we assume he might not have forked out for cerebral boosters 2. And even if we just go with Logic 5 then it's still another 10 BP and it leaves a little room for future growth. Which is better than everyone starting with 6 and having no room for progression.

And besides, though in my opinion hackers ought to have good logic, the RAW say someone with Logic 1 can be just as good a hacker as someone with Logic 7. So I don't think you'll suddenly see a shift from hacker characters having Logic 5( 7 ) to Logic 6 ( 8 ). More likely, you'll see fewer hackers with Logic 3.

I stand by my comment that using Logic increases the range for new characters and gives more scope for development. It also introduces variation because as has been pointed out, when did you ever see anyone with hacking programs of less than 6? Certainly no player and it would be hard to justify the corp defending hackers have less than rating 6. Which leaves a very narrow range of ability for hackers in general. And where's the fun if everyone is comparable?

It also gives more scope for a player to be better than agents. And however gritty Shadowrun is, a little heroics is necessary some times.

As to:
QUOTE (Charon)
Secondly, it makes sense and it support how hacking is portrayed ; Skill and the right tool is all it takes to hack well. In a sense, SR hacking is like playing a video game. If you have better skill and your computer doesn't lag, you'll beat your opponent at that Unreal Tournament.

I don't think that is how its portrayed. It's what the mechanics imply, but it certainly doesn't fit my perception of hacking. The idea that futuristic hacking consists of waggling a game-pad in order to deploy your attack programs before the enemy is stupid. I don't think that you means this quite as literally as this, but if you're deploying your programs and tools against a target system then how would you choose what, when and how to do so? To me the answer is that it is clearly based on logic and experience (skill). What this system does is try to make the mechanics fit what we envision hacking to be. And I find that it's growing on me more and more.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Chandon)
Jaid -

I think my comments describe my specific issues with this proposed system rather than being mindless "bashing". It's important that the people who are considering this system for their game (and, if Konsaki gets his extremely unlikely hope - the core book) realize that using the spell system to replace the hacking system is a huge change that has noticeable side effects.

At the moment, there is no baseline, thus no baseline can be disturbed.
Serbitar
QUOTE (yesman)

recheck your maths.

I did a quick spreadsheet that (assuming 3dice=Hit) has a non-twinked starting hacker netting 8 hits a third of the time it uses edge to re-roll. I was able to coax that up to 14 hits with a somewhat twinkish, experienced hacker/adept. That's not counting complementary dice from assisting hackers/agents.

Some tests, losing any hits past 7 won't matter for. A lot of tests it will.

(btw, if you've never seen Look Around You : Maths.. you need to, it is very funny)

**edited, because I forgot VRbonus originally.

Edge is non standard.
You cant base a system on non standard assumptions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012