Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a computer term
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
Okay I was thinking that part of the problem with all this hacking cyberware could be solved in a different way. I want to introduce a type of internal computer but I want a different term then commlink. This computer would not work as a communications device. It would act as a CPU for a character with lots of cyberware. It would coalate information from all of it and provide diagnostics and damage reports. It would contain internal harddrive space for head ware memory. It would have the ability to hold lingasofts and such. It could coordinate all kinds of internal systems and programs.All cyberware would be connected to it through fiber optic cables under the skin. It would have some of the same systems as a commlink but it would not act as a communications device.

Basically it would work as the internal support brain for a cybered character. They could also have a commlink doing all the normal stuff but it would not be connected to the internal one. Maybe have a datajack dedicated to connecting with the internal one. You could access it yourself but it would have it's own firewall and defenses and would be designed and modified for you.

This way there is no wireless cyberware signals. If you are a cyberdoc then you can connect a cable to it but there is no way to hack it from a distance.

What I need is a good name for it. It shouldn't be called a commlink because it is not a communications device. Any ideas?
Oracle
In fact it is a limited commlink. It is a communications device, but for internal communication only.
hobgoblin
RFID nyahnyah.gif
or just go with integrated computer.

a comlink is just one of many kinds of computers in SR.

about the only thing they all have in common is that they "create" a node when connected to the matrix. at least thats my understanding of it all...
Garrowolf
The point is for it not to be connected with the matrix.

Why would an RFID tag be useful here?

Integrated Computer is too vague. They have those in everything already.

Is there a name from SR3 that would apply here? I don't have my man and machine with me at the moment.
Crusher Bob
The cyberbrain? Then you can have cyberbrain sclerosis the perfect excuse for the borrowed time flaw.
Garrowolf
tempting but then it would kind of go against what I am trying to do with it. Ghost hacking or brain downloads would considerably change Shadowrun.

good thought though
Fortune
Well, the old Encephalon was a vaguely similar kind of implant.
Garrowolf
what all did it do?
Crusher Bob
It gave you a bonus to Intelligence (which also increased your perception) and gave you a task pool which was basically bonus dice for decking and B/R tests.
Fortune
I don't have copy of Street Bunnies Catalog at hand, but there might be something a little closer in there.

Not that I think all this is necessary in the first place.
Garrowolf
Well it is one of those things that if I don't find a way to resolve it I will not be able to flow with the game. It's kind of like when you see something out of place in a movie and you can't focus on the movie anymore.
knasser

In the old Mage game, Iteration X mages had a DEI - Digital Enhancement Implant which was mostly what you've described.

You could just call the thing a co-processor. Or in SR common parlance, a CO-PRO.

Or as its an uncommunicating non-link, you could call it a UNL. wink.gif
Garrowolf
I found a word that sounds cool and works for me:
Cyberkinetics Array
It has something to do with early real attempts to connect computers and brains.

hobgoblin
ugh, i misread what was looked for. anyone recall the good old router?
TBRMInsanity
The best thing would be to have a DNA (Direct Neural Interface) which can be found in ShadowTech (SR2/SR3). It is a direct connection from a piece of cyberware to the users brain so that he/she can control it with just his/her thoughts. It was designed for articulated arms that normally are not controlled by traditional cyber means (because they are not a traditional limb).
Fortune
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Dec 12 2006, 12:19 AM)
The best thing would be to have a DNA (Direct Neural Interface) which can be found in ShadowTech (SR2/SR3).  It is a direct connection from a piece of cyberware to the users brain so that he/she can control it with just his/her thoughts.  It was designed for articulated arms that normally are not controlled by traditional cyber means (because they are not a traditional limb).

DNI is pretty much standard in SR4 for anything cyber-related that needs it.

As far as I am concerned, a DNI connection alone is enough to do the job, and cannot be hacked unless other Wireless signals are present, making this type of thing superfluous. Those pieces of cyber that need to interact with the outside world for diagnostic purposes can easily be routed though the datajack (or RDIF) when the need arises, and shut off at all other times.
Ryu
If I remember correctly, running diagnostics without need for surgery was a major function of the data jack (allthough not required by the rules). As everything can have processing power now, extended functionality is no problem at all.
cx2
And I could be wrong, but I believe in the cyber eyes/ears which include recording units for free they already have memory included. After all, there is no "headware memory" cyber in SR4.

The BBB went so far as to say you could lock it so that the data recorded could only be removed via data jack if you so wished.
ixombie
What you're describing is an implanted commlink with wireless mode turned off.

Cyberware wireless signals should not be a problem for anyone, because they have a signal 0! You need to get within 3 meters of them, or you can't hack them. And if the cyberware wireless is a problem for some half-sane, paranoid reason, you can turn if off.

The problem with making a special computer that coordinates your cyber is that rules wise, it would be completely useless. You don't gain any bonus for knowing the status of your cyber, why would you? Having all that info is purely fluff related. I could see it providing a bonus to repairing the ware, but how often do you do repairs in a situation where there's a danger of hacking? If the ware needs to be worked on, you can just activate the wireless.

I think the greater question is not what this device should be called, but rather why would anyone want it? What does it do that has a useful game effect?
Chandon
Doesn't simply having a datajack implanted do all of what you're looking for?

In SR3 your datajack had wired connections to all of your cyberware, so I assume it still does in SR4.
scapegoat
never assume anything Chandon it seems a few if not a lot of things have changed from sr3 as sr4 repeats many times everthing is wireless....
Lord Ben
Call it a cyberbrain, and specifiy it's not a replacement... smile.gif
djinni
QUOTE (Chandon)
Doesn't simply having a datajack implanted do all of what you're looking for?

In SR3 your datajack had wired connections to all of your cyberware, so I assume it still does in SR4.

the only thing that is not wireless is the datalock.
it specifically says that it is not wireless enabled.
Garrowolf
Okay, for one I think that the wireless cyberware is stupid for so many reasons but I have said them over and over already. I am trying to go back to the way the tech used to work and add a commlink to it. Individual pieces of cyberware in my game do not have wireless signals of any type. They are connected by wires along the DNI.

Two - I have made clonal replacement the norm in my game. The average person does not use cyberware except for datajacks and such and even that is falling by the wayside. Injuries are replaced by your own cloned meat. This is not really new as clonal replacement was in SR2 and SR3. Most types of corrective surgery is done with bioware now instead of cyberware. There are some older people and some countries that still use cyberware for medical reasons though.

Three - Most cyberware is military equipment. It is designed to augment a person. Some of the time this wil be used for a certain job but for most people there is no reason for them to have it. The older military equipment as well as robot parts make up most cyberware. It has become primarily paramilitary and street groups that use them.

Four - There is a high degree of awareness towards communications safety and silence. There is no reason in the world to have a stupid little chip broadcasting your location and abilities. Not even for diagnostics reasons. The wires have not gone away because of the wireless technology. All large cyberware has a datajack. You can turn it on or off from the inside and it will only go to diagnostic systems for that piece of cyberware. That way you can do repairs in the field without giving away your position.

Okay so I don't think what the normal consumer would do with cyberware. I think what the military would do and how would the street bastardize it.

That said, I want to have a piece of cyberware that would be the norm for borgs. It would provide a secure processor for your own files. It would act as a router for your cyberware as well as a diagnostics system. Functionally it would lower the essence cost of several pieces of cyberware because there would be less need for functions that are not normally a part of a human being replicated.

Man and Machine says
Essence loss is not simply a result of removing flesh: people who use limbs or organs but do not replace them with cyberware do not loose Essence. The loss of Essence is a result of connecting a machine to the nervous system using microsurgery and nanotechnology. By doing so, you have changed the fundamental nature of your body - you gain an operational advantage but you are no longer whole.

The way I think about it is that there is a certain amount of essence loss from the range of motion and control of the basic functions of the limbs. These are the same nerves as the old limb used. They just connect the nerves to the wires and the signal goes across. Then there is a certain amount of connections that are not a normal part of human bodies. This would be smartlinks and extra abilities of cyberlimbs.

I think that some of the processing and activation of these extra abilities could be relegated to this internal system. Basically a smartlink would not need to be connected with your CNS. It would still have a wire running through your body under the skin. Then instead of having a smartlink processor you could have a program on the internal processor actually doing the work.

ixombie
What I'm interested in is what actual game effect your cybercomputer would have. Are you saying that one of these devices is necessary for cyberware to function correctly in your game? Because if not, I don't understand the use of it. The solution to vulnerable cyber is turning off its wireless - what purpose does this fancy computer idea have in mind?
kzt
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
What I need is a good name for it. It shouldn't be called a commlink because it is not a communications device. Any ideas?

I used the phrase symbiot in one game for a system sort of like that. I stole it (with variations) from Zahn's "Cobra", though he used a different term for it. Also some influences from Webers "Path of the Fury" Drop Commandos.
Garrowolf
Okay I decided to call it a Proteus Implant. I had a version of a commlink in my games in SR3 based on Brian Delany's White Ship series which they called a Proteus.

Okay the Proteus Implant is primarily used in Borgs. They are an onboard isolated system that has several functions.

It acts a router for integrating cyberware information as well as the processor for several cyberware functions. It takes this along with all the sensor data from the cyborg's sensors to function as a Tactical Computer. This will provide situational awareness and bonuses to perception tests. It will also act as a more advanced version of the smart gun system as the system can take aim and called shot on all targets in their range.

It will act as a skillsoft control system. With an integrated cyberware control system you don't need skillwires. You can have a whole series of activesofts running. One idea I had was a series of Specialsofts. Basically they provide you with all the information and details about a specific vehicle or something similar. They wouldn't give you the pilot skill but they would provide you with a specialization bonus as well as working as a knowsoft about that vehicle. Linguasofts and Knowsofts would work as normal.

It would provide the bonus from a Math SPU as well as acting as Headware memory.

Alot of systems could have their essence reduced because additional functions could be controled by the Proteus as a master control system. Instead of having to train yourself to activate smartlink or hydrolic legs or whatever with mental commands you have these options in a display that you can control no matter the systems you want to add. Basically it not only lowers the essence cost on cyberlimbs it increases their capacity by not requiring added systems cost essence.

This is intended for borgs in order to get them working under essence contraints. It is primarily military tech but some on the street would want it.

Normal cyberware doesn't NEED it but it is very useful.

Is that enough functions?
Fortune
So, what's your proposed Essence cost for this piece of cyber?

Is Proteus AG involved in the cyberware's production?
Garrowolf
It is going to take a while to figure out what all the details of this thing will be. Any suggestions on that front would help.

I had missed the stuff about Proteus AG. I can't find my book at the moment. What do they primarily do?
Fortune
Check out the free Shockwaves translation. It does a better job depicting the rise and semi-fall of Proteus AG than I ever could.
Garrowolf
The Proteus Implant would also provide a bonus to perception as well as a Logic boost instead of the task pool stuff. This is to counteract that I am lowering Borg intuition and they are counting on the implant to actually help provide them with situational awareness. It also works as an Encephalon but I am just showing that as a Logic boost.

It would also process artifical tactile sensations to help the borg feel his environment and also feel more human.
Magus
This sounds more and more like the tactical computer in M&M where you could add specific ports for individual senses. ie thermographic took one port and so on and so forth. It acts like advanced smart router than a dumb hub like the datajack (which incidentally only had 3 open ports to connect to.
Garrowolf
Yes it includes the functions of a tac computer. That was part of the point. I wanted to have a platform that would allow for a lot of help to a combat borg.
ChicagosFinest
Two words... Prime Matrix. Not to beconfused with "The matrix" its a small tac computer that regulates the electronic cyber matrix of prostetic enhancements on a closed circuit connection. It's powered by bio mass and body energy (read body heat or bio electricity).

How does that work out for you?
ChicagosFinest
Two words... Prime Matrix. Not to beconfused with "The matrix" its a small tac computer that regulates the electronic cyber matrix of prostetic enhancements on a closed circuit connection. It's powered by bio mass and body energy (read body heat or bio electricity).

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)

Depends. Does it play Stan Bush's "You've Got the Touch" when you use it?
Chandon
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Yes it includes the functions of a tac computer. That was part of the point. I wanted to have a platform that would allow for a lot of help to a combat borg.

Doesn't that just make this the router + the tac computer from SR3?
ChicagosFinest
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Dec 13 2006, 09:52 AM)

Sure if you want it to smile.gif why not?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Dec 13 2006, 04:05 PM)

Sure if you want it to smile.gif why not?

Well, lets see: it has the words "Prime" and "Matrix" in it's name.

Can play the appropriate music from the Transformers: The Movie (the real one, not this Michael-Bay-rape-my-childhood-crap)

Now if it'd only let you transform into a big red Peterbilt with a white stripe down the side, it'd be perfect.
Garrowolf
Um .. why Prime Matrix?
I finally decided to call it a Proteus Array. It combines the functions of a router, tac computer, and headware memory, as well as a few other things.

I will have it battery powered based on long life batteries. There will also be some sort of power core powering the Borg in general. Bioelectric energy might power some low level systems but a borg would be using too much power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012