Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: YAAP
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lorechaser
Inspired by a joke post on the SR3 boards.

Headstomp
Pre-req: Wall Running or Great Leap 2+

The Adept using Headstomp bends the rules of gravity to deliver a flashy and painful attack. The Adept launches themselves into the air, either by jumping off a wall or from a standing jump, and lands feet first on their foe's head. This attack deals (Body+Str/2) damage, and has +1 reach. It also counts as an attack from higher ground.

If the Adept has the Great Leap power, it is considered doubled when using this attack (So an Adept with Great Leap 3 adds 6 dice to his attempt).

Thoughts?

ShadowDragon
If I can also use it to balance myself on the flat of someones sword (think the old guy from KillBill), I'm all for it biggrin.gif
Konsaki
Just for when you want to make sure the target is dead... biggrin.gif
Seems like a bit of overkill, and you could perform the same action, minus the +Body through RP.
Butterblume
Death from above? I've heard that before...
Konsaki
Thinking about it, could you see a Body 10, Str 10 troll performing this skill? Thats 10 damage straight out of the box, not counting any crit strike or net hits...
Thats enough that he could just jump onto a Bulldog or Steel Lynx and do damage.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Thinking about it, could you see a Body 10, Str 10 troll performing this skill? Thats 10 damage straight out of the box, not counting any crit strike or net hits...
Thats enough that he could just jump onto a Bulldog or Steel Lynx and do damage.

It is indeed.

However, that same troll also has the option of doing str/2+5 by spending 1.25 pp on Critical strike 5. And he also had to get his body up to 10 to do it.

So I think a cost of 1 pp would be about right - it's like a restricted Critical Strike 5. It doesn't have a limit of your magic, and it can potentially go up to 15 damage if you maxed out attributes.

The troll 15/15 would do 15 damage. The same troll with crit 5 would do 12. So it's a max of +3 damage, over a troll that has maxed out attributes, and is leaping on someone's head.

I'm cool with that. It also wouldn't allow penetrating strike to be added on, or elemental strikes.

So, a new version:

Headstomp
Cost: 1 pp
Pre-req: Wall Running or Great Leap 2+

The Adept using Headstomp bends the rules of gravity to deliver a flashy and painful attack. The Adept launches themselves into the air, either by jumping off a wall or from a standing jump, and lands feet first on their foe's head. This attack deals ((Body+Str)/2)P damage, and has +1 reach. It also counts as an attack from higher ground.

If the Adept has the Great Leap power, it is considered doubled when using this attack (So an Adept with Great Leap 3 adds 6 dice to his attempt).

Headstomp does not benefit from Critical Strike, Elemental Strike, Penetrating Strike, or similar powers. It also does not gain bonus damage from Bone Lacing or similar 'ware.

ixombie
Headsquish
Cost: 1 power point

The adept must be able to see the target, and must be far enough away that when he holds his finger and thumb up in front of one eye, the person's head fits between them. The adept then brings his finger and thumb together, exclaiming gleefully, "I'm squishing your head!" The target must be a willpower+intuition (3) roll or fall unconscious, believing themselves to have died of squished head.
Butterblume
Bone lacing makes the char heavier, so an increase in damage might be justified.

I think this move is more of a special attack than an adept power. After all, mundane could do it, too. One might consider waiting for advanced melee rules and then see if they fit into that mechanic. Thinking back, I actually used to drop on unsuspecting targets with my dwarf sam sometimes, with great effect.

Hey, who left those eucalyptus leaves on the floor?
Konsaki
QUOTE (ixombie)
Headsquish
Cost: 1 power point

The adept must be able to see the target, and must be far enough away that when he holds his finger and thumb up in front of one eye, the person's head fits between them. The adept then brings his finger and thumb together, exclaiming gleefully, "I'm squishing your head!" The target must be a willpower+intuition (3) roll or fall unconscious, believing themselves to have died of squished head.

You're trolling, but its funny, so I forgive you. biggrin.gif
2bit
Is this for making italian plumber adept brothers?
djinni
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
If I can also use it to balance myself on the flat of someones sword (think the old guy from KillBill), I'm all for it biggrin.gif

that's what the "gliding" power is for...
lorechaser
The intended adept portion is that you can go from the ground to the head.

I hesitated to say gravity distortions, but the theory is that you redistribute your inertia (I know, horrible science, but it's maaaagic) to be lighter at first, allowing a bigger jump, then heavier at the end, allowing for more damage.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (2bit)

Well, that was the idea when I wrote the original, though it wasn't a joke so much as a serious first step towards the emulation 2D sidescrollers using the Shadowrun rulesset.

Body + Strength is a little much. Personally, I'd just base it on Body with a positive modifier.
djinni
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (2bit @ Dec 11 2006, 02:54 PM)

Well, that was the idea when I wrote the original, though it wasn't a joke so much as a serious first step towards the emulation 2D sidescrollers using the Shadowrun rulesset.

Body + Strength is a little much. Personally, I'd just base it on Body with a positive modifier.

all teh opponenet has to do is step sideways and you've missed, the problem with an attack like this (if you try to make it a real one and not just a cartoonish funny thought) is that your oppoenent unless stunned can just sidestep, dodging would be easy.
Lazerface
Either someone's been playin' Super Mario Bros. or someone's been playin' Street Fighter 2 or someone's been playin' Dystopia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012