Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some Questions from this weekend's game...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Faradon
OK, so I'm an experienced 1st/2nd ed player, tried 3rd a couple times, but it wasn't the same, and have been trying to get back into SR4 now. That said, I've got some questions on some of the ways things were done during a game we played this weekend.

Note, almost all the other players are completely new to the system and haven't played any previous versions... so I doubt anything done was malicious / with intent to cheat. I'm posting this so we can learn from anything we did wrong, and try to be doing things the right way.

One other thing, I may inadvertently have some amount of spoiler information from the SRM (THE GRAB) contained in this post... so if you don't want anything for you SPOILED by reading it all, please just stop now. (any spoilers will try to be avoided though.)

That all being said, here we go...

Opening scene or two, party goes through the normal calls, meets with the johnson, and takes the job. Soon after they get into a fight with some gangers... during the fight, in a public place located in a nice part of town, a character who has the trait unlucky decides to lay down suppressing fire with a SMG in a parking lot.... bad things happened, end result was costing the group a point of notoriety and public awareness...

So, moving on, they end up doing some legwork... here's where a lot of the questions start, mainly in regards to hacking.

Hacker investigates location 1 in the middle of the night. (got to love the sleep regulator) Goes there and hacks into the 2 security drones in visual range (the long way using probe 1 hr tests I believe). Due to the seemingly security-free ratings on most devices in the adventure, this doesn't prove to be much of a challenge...

Then on to location 2, where he basically goes to break into someone's home. The group has a table rating of 0, making the "anti-hacker security" on the home (if I remember right) take 3 successes for him to get through... and pretty much never have a chance of beating his stealth of 5...

So within moments he's broken into the house computer system... I decided to make things SLIGHTLY more difficult, I would have the maglocks on the windows have a keypad on them rather than being part of the wireless network. Again with the mighty difficulty of 2-3 on these tests, a starting character was able to crack the outside of the maglock and hotwire the system in just a few seconds.

From there things went bad for the party with a not looking before they dove head-first into a concrete swimming pool... but that's not really part of any of my questions smile.gif

Ok, last hacking issue / question...

Rigger is jacked into a vehicle... can the hacker get into the rigger's comlink and spoof the command to turn off the control rig? What all tests would normally be involved with this... what can the rigger do to stop him?

Thanks again.... sorry for anything that's obscuring the questions within story... but I kind of just also wanted to point out how "Un-secure" things seem... Heck, the hacker at one point had located the "hidden" enemy comlink, hacked the crypto, and was listening in after all of 3 IPs...

(encryption not very safe....)
djinni
QUOTE (Faradon)
Opening scene or two, party goes through the normal calls, meets with the johnson, and takes the job. Soon after they get into a fight with some gangers... during the fight, in a public place located in a nice part of town, a character who has the trait unlucky decides to lay down suppressing fire with a SMG in a parking lot.... bad things happened, end result was costing the group a point of notoriety and public awareness...

did he use edge? if not why did his badluck proc?
So, moving on, they end up doing some legwork... here's where a lot of the questions start, mainly in regards to hacking.

Hacker investigates location 1 in the middle of the night. (got to love the sleep regulator)  Goes there and hacks into the 2 security drones in visual range (the long way using probe 1 hr tests I believe).  Due to the seemingly security-free ratings on most devices in the adventure, this doesn't prove to be much of a challenge...

he's loitering in an area in the middle of the night and a busy body didn't call lonestar? driveby traffic didn't see him? it's the middle of the night...

Then on to location 2, where he basically goes to break into someone's home.  The group has a table rating of 0, making the "anti-hacker security" on the home (if I remember right) take 3 successes for him to get through... and pretty much never have a chance of beating his stealth of 5...

So within moments he's broken into the house computer system... I decided to make things SLIGHTLY more difficult, I would have the maglocks on the windows have a keypad on them rather than being part of the wireless network.  Again with the mighty difficulty of 2-3 on these tests, a starting character was able to crack the outside of the maglock and hotwire the system in just a few seconds.

once again, it's the middle of the night, the motion sensors outside the house would probably turn on when he got close enough to get a signal feed, and again the busy body, who says the securty has to extend outside the house? drop it to a signal 1, or 2

Rigger is jacked into a vehicle... can the hacker get into the rigger's comlink and spoof the command to turn off the control rig?  What all tests would normally be involved with this... what can the rigger do to stop him?

um not have his VCR linked to his comm, turn off the wireless system.
a Rigger is a hacker after all. throw some IC into his comm, it looks to me like you just let htem have everything.
Faradon
QUOTE (Djinni)
did he use edge? if not why did his badluck proc?

In a matter of speaking... yes. When he opened up with the suppression into the parking lot (with the busy city street behind the bad guys). I had him roll edge (and the 1d6 for possible unluck, and also not counting this as one of his own edge rolls) to see what kind off effect his spray of bullets would have to the city/people beyond the 10-15 meters involved in the combat.

QUOTE (Djinni)
he's loitering in an area in the middle of the night and a busy body didn't call lonestar? driveby traffic didn't see him? it's the middle of the night...

Between his stealth rolls and chameleon suit he was never in much danger of actually being spotted. Part of the reason he went alone...

QUOTE (Djinni)
once again, it's the middle of the night, the motion sensors outside the house would probably turn on when he got close enough to get a signal feed, and again the busy body, who says the securty has to extend outside the house? drop it to a signal 1, or 2

And once again, the character is nigh on invisible... I'm also not feeling as someone new to GMing SR4 that I should be forced off the bat to drop signal ratings, increase firewalls/IC ratings, or just to, in general, raise the difficulty on the fly of a shadowrun mission, for fairly standard 400bp characters with no Karma...

QUOTE (Djinni)
um not have his VCR linked to his comm, turn off the wireless system.
a Rigger is a hacker after all. throw some IC into his comm.

Again, I'm just trying to learn from this to start getting my own adventures together for my group... and to make sure we're running the rules correctly. We also like the idea of submitting our results for the SRMs.

That said, the example I used was with a riggger... but I'm more curious into what all a hacker should be able to do when trying to hack into someone else's comlink.

What rolls they need to make to hack into someone's comlink and what rolls are needed to turn off someone else's cyberware.... or to change the IFF on their smartgun to list themselves as a friend? How fast can they do these things?

QUOTE (Djinni)
it looks to me like you just let htem have everything.

Honestly that feels a little like you are just trying to insult me... but hey, to each their own.

In reality, when the hacker attempted to spoof the command to turn off the Control Rig via the comlink it (as best we could find in the book) was an extended test. He made his first attempt and made some successes, but not enough. The Rigger rolled his chance to detect and did in fact detect the hacker. They they rolled an opposed test as the rigger attempted to terminate the hacker's connection... and the Rigger won that roll.

In the same encounter 1 PC died, 1 PC lost a $50,000 vehicle, drones, and god knows what else... and is basically a rigger with no gear now... and the 2nd vehicle got it's roof chopped open, which nearly ended in the death of the PC hacker who was in the back seat jacked in hot.

So before you make comments about how I "let them just have everything." Either ask for the full story or just keep comments like that to yourself.

I'm really just trying to get some answers about what game mechanics we may have done wrong so we can improve... not looking for a critique on how we play from you.

kk, thx.
Fortune
QUOTE (Faradon)
In a matter of speaking... yes. When he opened up with the suppression into the parking lot (with the busy city street behind the bad guys). I had him roll edge (and the 1d6 for possible unluck, and also not counting this as one of his own edge rolls) to see what kind off effect his spray of bullets would have to the city/people beyond the 10-15 meters involved in the combat.

So, he didn't choose to use Edge, but rather you enforced the test arbitrarily. Doesn't sounds quite right to me.
Konsaki
Choo Choo... You just 'made' it that chars fault, when in reality, any of the chars shooting out in the open would most likely hit something/someone behind their target if they missed.
Faradon
Again, can we please get past play style and focus on answering actual questions about game mechanics?

The character WANTED to play a VERY UNLUCKY character, where BAD THINGS happened to him / around him on a fairly regular basis.

It's not a railroad, because it had nothing to do with a plot line, or series of events... it was "Bad luck" as a result of the way he designed / wanted his character to be for role playing purposes. It really didn't have a whole lot of effect other than drawing a lot of unnecessary attention to the party / firefight and making the character feel bad about possibly injuring a bunch of innocent people.
djinni
okay first off was not meant to insult you, was just saying that they should have given you more information about their characters. if you are going to get upset because I didn't have the full story you should have provided it in the first place. now regardless if the hacker was "just that good" and the party still got whomped on, is there a problem? it sounded like the problem you were having was not the rest of teh run but the hacker character. I can only help with waht you give me.

forcing an edge roll "to see what happens" is good, but in keeping with game balance he should have just shot innocent people. no luck check required.

okay a little more in depth the chalemeon suit only stops visual perception, thermo (dwarves, trolls) would see him, the random drone patrols would see he's running "hidden" on his PAN and would have investigated further.
chem sniffers, ultrasound, etc...

remember this is 2070 you are playing in, not 2006, when you go anywhere there are wireless signals bouncing off your PAN and Firewall it's not all about regular perception like it used to be.

if you are using a published run, then yeah modifying on the fly is not a good Idea, but more preparation might be, taking his skills into account.

game mechanics, did you use the +6 threshold modifier for root access when he tried to hack the comm? make sure he's not using more programs or has too many things assigned to his PAN that will drop his Comm performance drastically.
Serbitar
@faradon:
What do you expect? Private homes and Joe Normals are cheese for every hacker. And they should be. Corporate security facilities should be the problem.

In SR4 Hackers are on par with Mages. And they should be. Its a cyber world after all.
Faradon
QUOTE (Serbitar)
@faradon:
What do you expect? Private homes and Joe Normals are cheese for every hacker. And they should be. Corporate security facilities should be the problem.

In SR4 Hackers are on par with Mages. And they should be. Its a cyber world after all.

I have no problem with a hacker being good at what he does... I just wanted to make sure that we are "doing it right"

So pretty please... does someone have a good "flow chart" or something that has a good listing of "common hacker activities" showing:

If you want to hack a comlink, first do A> Next if B then C, if not then D... etc.

If you want to spoof a command roll X+Y and system will roll D+E against stealth to detect you, both are extended blah blah tests.

Hackers just seem to have a TON of dice rolls attached to them, and several rules spanning many pages in the rulebooks... has anyone made up a "guide to SR4 hackers" full of these kinds of cheat sheets or something?
Serbitar
klick SGM in my sig
Moon-Hawk
1) The link isn't working
2) Isn't the stuff in your sig so totally house-ruled that we can't use it without adopting piles of your house-rules? Not that I'm saying your house-rules are bad, mind you.
Serbitar
The link is working. (Though some people from the states have reported problems)
The SGM 0.9 has no house rules. (OK, maybe one, No response degradation for full blown matrix hosts).
Moon-Hawk
Aha. I am in the states.
Wonderful, I was not aware of that. I will download it just as soon as the link is working in this country. smile.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Faradon @ Dec 11 2006, 09:08 PM)
So before you make comments about how I "let them just have everything." Either ask for the full story or just keep comments like that to yourself.

I'm really just trying to get some answers about what game mechanics we may have done wrong so we can improve... not looking for a critique on how we play from you. 

kk, thx.

That's a little touchy. I think Djinni was trying to be helpful to you.

In regards to your initial questions. I don't see anything wrong with the hacker having his way with the house. If this hacker is someone you expect to be infiltrating corporate systems, then a regular house ought to be a fairly easy challenge.

As regards the drones, You don't say what sort of security drone they are, but the device ratings table in SR4, pg. 214 advises a rating of 3-4 for drones, typically.

Before he can do anything, he needs to succeed in identifying the drone nodes. If they are in hidden mode, then he may need to make an extended Logic + Electronic Warfare (4) roll. That's probably a pretty safe bet given the time scales involved, but worth mentioning seeing as you're asking for general guidance. There's still the chance the player could glitch it or run out of attempts.

But anyway, assuming that the hacker is probing (the slow approach) which you say he is, then it's a Hacking + Exploit test with a threshold of System + Firewall, which should be around 6-8 for a security drone. Assuming your hacker has around is using full VR and has around 12 dice in the pool and , then it's going to take a couple of hours per drone. In order to issue commands to the drones, he could have spoofed instructions from their commanding persona (SR4, pg. 221), or added himself as the commanding persona which, is what he did in this case. I would say you require admin or security level access which is +6 or +3 to threshold. This might be a point of contention so I'm interested to hear what other GM's think. But if it does require this level of access then you can add another hour or two onto the time taken per drone.

The house I have given my opinion on.

Shutting down the rigger's commlink. I'm assuming from the way that you wrote this that the hacker located the rigger's commlink through its traffic with the drone using Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) to locate the node, followed by Electronic Warfare + Sniffer (3) test. Now some GMs would want you to decrypt that traffic, though I would think sniffing it would be enough to identify the node. At the other end, some GMs would have let him just scan for the rigger's comm in the first place. There are different ways of doing things and I don't have enough detail from you to say exactly what should have been rolled. From the sounds of it, this is my best guess. To spoof a command, the hacker needs to make a matrix perception test opposed by the comms System + Firewall (again you might say that sniffing the packets had accomplished this if you wish). You'd then follow this with the spoof attempt which is again opposed.

However, I would not allow you to shut down the commlink or control rig with a spoof attempt. This violates what I see as the spirit of the rules where in order to crash / kill an OS, you need to defeat it in cyber combat. It also denies a defending hacker (or rigger in this case) the opportunity to defend it. In order to shut it down, I would actually ask the hacker to either access it properly (hack the node with admin privileges) or attack it in cyber combat. Doing otherwise is going to result in some skewing in the hacker's favour.

Now this is all my take on it, and hacking is an ill-defined area. I'm very interested to hear other GM's comments on this.

You should also take a look at Serbitars extremely helpful guide to the matrix which is in his sig, I think.

-K.
Faradon
Knasser,

Thx a ton, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Also, big thanks for the link Serbitar, I'm already sifting through all the new-found data. I should be able to glean most of the info I need from this stuff.
knasser

Well, that's my take on it. Hacking is all a little up in the air. Wait until someone else picks some holes in my post first. The important things is to have an idea about what to roll for different tasks and to be consistent in how you apply them.
Faradon
Oh, and for any info on the drones, comlink levels, etc... (and if you don't plan on being in the grab as a player... go ahead and get the free download from the shadowrun missions page and you can compare it to what was talked about above... I kept 95% of the adventure as-is due to all of the players being brand new to the game.

http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/missions/downloads/

(the grab is mission number 3)
Lord Ben
The average person should be as safe against a hacker as an average guy in a fight against a street sam.

A street sam deciding to walk across the street with a bowie knife and take a guys ID card should be roughly as hard as a hacker hacking into the same guys commlink and downloading his password.

It's hard to think about that way because it seems like it should be tougher but that's how I try to frame it when I think it's overpowered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012