Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR3] Rule Bending/Creating
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
As is probably true of most groups, we have a guy who really likes to bend rules to the maximum to create very bizzare combinations. This is the character that has a "Natural Immunity" to the Kamikaze drug (to gain the benefits without the negative effects). nyahnyah.gif Check out his inventions for our game.....

Of course, harmless Kamikaze addiction via the wording of Natural Immunity.

Breathes fire via Chemical Glands that produce Methane. He bought both the spit and breath options. Since the only difference between the 2 is the distribution method, both are in the neck, both produce the same gas, he paid double the price of 1 and 0.1 more BioIndex. He combined that with the ability to create an electrical spark between 2 front teeth (hidden compartments, with the additional essense and costs of JoltAlert). He wanted Napalm, but no such luck. Damage is 6M.

Has a Ranger-X bow with PhotoVoltaic paint. At first it was treated as a dumb idea, since the rules clearly state that you need a computer interface to use it. Compromise was that the bow is setup with 3 areas that are Camouflage shaped. He can select from up to 5 stored camouflage colors (blue-white-grey for snow, green-tan-brown for woodland, black-black-black for darkness, black-white-grey for urban, brown-tan-white for desert) that are programmed into the bow. (Spensive bow....)

His Ranger-X Bow also has a SmartLink-2. Admittedly intended as a firearm-only devise, but since the Smartlink-2 gives a -1 to 'arc line-of-fire weapons', he talked us into it. nyahnyah.gif So he gets -1TN for the Ranger-X (most spensive bow in the world me thinks)..... His Strength 12 Orc addicted to harmless Kamikaze. nyahnyah.gif

Of course, the basic Wired-2, superthyroid, muscle toned/augmented combination to go along with it protected by a WhiteTiger suit with 4 levels Thermal Insulation (the suit includes a 'hood' that can lay-flat like a Collar....)

I'm guessing most people that will read this will hate the guy, but I love the stuff he comes up with. So does the GM apparently. nyahnyah.gif I just had to share the latest inventions as I convert his sheet to HTML for the game. I'll be sharing the 9 character sheets (we have a big group, bigger than last time) by this weekend I hope. smile.gif
eidolon
Right off the bat, my first thought is

If you're immune to a drug, that means all of its effects, not just the bad ones. It's like being magic resistant. That means you resist Heal too.

Second thought is he'd burn his own face if he tried to breathe burning methane at someone. But in general, I'm hard on the chemical glands stuff because there are so many potentially ridiculous uses for them.

The bow stuff, I'd have no problem with, assuming that proper concern was given to the hows and the how much-es (cost).

And I don't come away from your post hating that guy, I come away from your post thinking your GM needs to be less...permissive.
Kagetenshi
Not that I disagree, but there's another thread for that.

Re: Ranger-X, aren't they already smartlinkable (and thus must have an interface)?

As for the methane, what eidolon said. Did he give any way to avoid the flame traveling back into his mouth?

~J
mfb
pretty sure. if not, there's definitely a package that allows smartlink and other targeting gadgets to be attached to bow.
eidolon
Yeah, and even if there weren't it's not much of a jump to add it. Just pay the same cost for adding it as you would for any firearm. No real need to go beyond that unless you're wanting fluff to support it.
Wounded Ronin
To me that whole character concept is too ridiculous. It reads like something out of a bad Mary Sue fanfic.
Sphynx
Immunity to Toxin, level 3 does specifically state it only blocks the 'ill effects'. nyahnyah.gif

As for burning the face, circus performers do it all the time, and hair-spray cans don't go exploding if you make a torch out of them with a lighter. As long as his lips seal when he's done with the spitting, there's no reason to assume physics would work differently for him. o.O

GM is obviously very permissive yes, as long as it makes sense with the given rules, and doesn't actually break them.

Wound, I assume you're speaking of the Fire Breathing. Yeah, seems far fetched to me too, but unless there's rules to play a Draconian, he's always going to do his best to create one with the rules (Hence the Orc and Fire Breathing). However, in the last 2 games, he hasn't breathed fire at all, the characters don't even know he can. He just wants to be able to for theme, and as a general rule, we never disallow anything built on theme. We may bend the rules to make the cost more than the player wants to pay, but to make a character without theme seems a bigger crime to us.
toturi
I have to go with your GM's interpretation of Immunity and I would applaud hm for allowing it. Not many GMs has the balls to allow something that does not break the rules but can been seen by others to be potentially game breaking. I would also like to complement your friend's ingenuity as well.

I thought the smartlinked Ranger X bow with a high strength PC was done quite a long while back. Back during the Jive forums era I believe.
Sphynx
Yeah, Bow Accessory Mount is on page 13 of Cannon. Guess I just never knew about that. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sphynx)
As for burning the face, circus performers do it all the time

Not with methane! Methane's properties include pretty much everything that fire-breathers avoid (fairly explosive, extremely high burn temperature, extremely low flash point). Not all fuels are the same!

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Dec 14 2006, 02:00 AM)
As for burning the face, circus performers do it all the time

Not with methane! Methane's properties include pretty much everything that fire-breathers avoid (fairly explosive, extremely high burn temperature, extremely low flash point). Not all fuels are the same!

~J

Reminds me of the Darwin Award where the farmer, after watching a documentary, promptly went and set is cow's ass on fire. The cow blew up and killed the farmer. Never underestimate the power of the cow's fart. biggrin.gif
Sphynx
Is there a better 'natural' gas (or even liquid I suppose) I could/should recommend to him?
toturi
Some form of alcohol, maybe?
eidolon
Kage covered the methane issues. As far as the immunity, which is it? You list Natural Immunity, and then Immunity to Toxins. I don't have my books handy.

Either way, the player's use of it is sheer munchy idiocy, and there's no way I'd allow it in my games.
Sphynx
There's only 1 immunity Edge that I'm aware of Eidolon. And I'm referring to the 3 point version of it, not the 1 point version of it. Regardless, I think the 'sheer munchy idiocy' is quite wrong. 'sheer munchy' perhaps, but do NOT call my friends idiots even through implications please.
Kagetenshi
I resent that. I know I've committed idiocy, so if you're going to link being the creator of idiocy to being an idiot, you're calling me an idiot.

Now, feel free to take umbrage at the fact that he's calling it idiocy, but remember that one does not always imply the other smile.gif

(I don't actually resent that, I'm just a stickler for precision in language. Probably because of my lack of precision in thought.)

~J
Sphynx
The point is, it's not idiocy to go by 'canon' ruling. The ruling clearly states that the character can take a 'drug' (in addition to toxin or poison) without 'ill effect'. Just because someone's House Ruling of changing 'ill effect' to 'any effect' doesn't comply with 'canon', does not make going by 'canon' idiocy.

Of course, your'e welcome to House Rule an 'any effect' to your version of Natural Immunity, but by 'canon', it only effects 'ill effect'.
will_rj
beware, the thread is starting to point to the wrong flame...

Back to the point, firebreathers spit a combustible liquid into a fire thatīs held outside their mouths. Your friend is creating the spark with his teeth and iīm not really sure that itīs possible to make the teeth spark mechanism work in such a way that spares his mouth, not to mention his mustache, if he happens to sport one. One way to escape the melted cheese dillema would be a lighter in a cyberfinger.

Sphynx
Yeah, we told him something similar, but it's about 'theme'. He wanted a fire-breathing adept at first, but he couldn't convince us of a way to do it, so went the cyber method. He wants to breath fire like a dragon (despite it only doing 6M damage). Since the entire character was based around that theme, I find it unlikely the GM will ever get gritty-realistic on him burning his mouth. Perhaps best to just re-word it into a new piece of Bioware, the FireBreather (but based on the glands and teeth for 'costs' and limited number of uses).
Moon-Hawk
Do it like a monowhip. If he glitches, he dribbles on himself and ignites. smile.gif
eidolon
No implications of any one person's being an idiot intended, but Kage has already pointed that out.
Ryu
Flamable breath done this way does damage at least the lips. Using something else than methane would be good because of damage, too. (An electrical spark in a wet environment. With many pain-conducting nerves. Ouch).

That said, why did you not give him a custom magic power if you are allowing something that gives him "a dragons breath" via technology?
eidolon
IIRC, fire breathers coat their mouths and lips with petroleum jelly to alleviate the danger somewhat, do they not?
Moon-Hawk
None of the fire-breathers that I know (including myself) do this, but then again I keep a damp washcloth in my off hand when I'm breathing fire. I have yet to use it for anything other than wiping a teeny bit of accelerant (unlit) off my lips, but it's there just in case.
And I use charcoal lighter fluid as fuel. It has extremely low surface tenison, which makes it easy to atomize into fine mist as you exhale. Different people use different fuels, they all have their pros and cons.
I'm sorry, I probably should've been contributing to this thread more. Yes, I know how to breathe fire, does anyone want to ask me anything?

edit: BTW, eidolon, I'm not saying that some firebreathers don't use petroleum jelly, just none of the ones I know. There's a lot of variation.
Ryu
Yes, I want to. Can you set something on fire by breathing on it? Would that hurt?
Moon-Hawk
Ryu:
So many variables. The fuel is turned into a fine mist as it comes out of your mouth. At least, it is if you're doing it properly. As such, it burns FAST, and things that burn fast generally burn cool. Of course, that's "cool" on the heat spectrum of explodie fiery things. smile.gif The other thing to consider is that if they're close enough to get caught in the fire, they're also close enough that they're getting tiny droplets of fuel on them, which depending on just how close they are can add up. Naturally, there's less fuel the farther away from the sourse you are. So things like hair, certain fabrics, paper, yeah, those will all light. Something like a log, no. Even if it's within a foot and you spit fuel on it it's not likely to burn for more than a few seconds and go out.
Would that hurt? Okay, so assume someone is in the middle of my range, a meter or so away, and they take a blast of fire to the face and upper torso. They're almost definitely on fire, and due to accelerant they will burn for a few seconds. But if they have the presense of mind to stop, drop, and roll to extinguish their clothes they won't die, either. They'll probably lose most of their hair. I would think the biggest danger would be to the eyes. Of course, this part is all highly speculative, as I have never seen an accident like this myself.
For that matter, if I were going for damage, I might use a different fuel. I'm not sure what, though. Something that would hold larger droplets, I guess. Larger droplets don't burn as quickly, so the fireball is much less impressive, but it would deliver more liquid accelerant to the target, if that were the desire. The problem is, higher surface tension means higher risk of dribbling down your own face.
Does that help?
eidolon
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
None of the fire-breathers that I know (including myself) <snip>

I would imagine there's more variation in fire breathing than there is in sword swallowing.

But on the note of "Moon-Hawk is a fire-breather", eek.gif notworthy.gif. That's cool. I've seen Nat Geo specials (or some channel) on it, but it was a long time ago and my memory of it has gotten fuzzy.

So could you walk us through your method? Maybe give us some of the background stuff too, like feeling, force of exhalation, etc? Actually, as I post this I see that you've expounded a bit, but MORE! smile.gif

(Oh, and I can speak from experience on having my head engulfed in flame. It sucks. Thankfully, it was a very fast burning accelerant, and 100% gaseous, meaning that although my face was right in the middle of the fireball, it was too quick to set me on fire. What it did do, however, was singe off most of my eyebrows and eyelashes and the front of my hair, lightly scorch my face, and the worst part, as Moon-Hawk guessed, was that it dried my eyes out so badly that I couldn't see and couldn't blink to re-wet them. It was a good two or three minutes before my tear ducts wet them enough for me to close them. It sucked, but thankfully did no permanent damage.)
Moon-Hawk
More, huh? Okay.
KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. THIS IS FOR REFERENCE, NOT INSTRUCTION. I can do it, but I'm by no means sufficent expert to teach, and even if I were I wouldn't be doing over the intertubes.
As I said, I use charcoal lighter fluid. Don't swallow it, it's bad for you. I use it because it burns fast and has very low surface tension. The downside of that is, it does tend to creep down your throat a little. *blech*
The torch is a fibery cotton stuff that gets wrapped around a wire handle and soaked in the very same lighter fluid. I have a glass of lighter fluid and a glass of water, which are very different and I can easily tell apart! The glasses, not the fluids. The fluids are dangerously similar in appearance, hence the different cups.
As I said, I hold a moist washcloth in my hand at all times, and there is a fire extinguisher handy.
The real trick of it is atomizing the fuel. By that I mean turning it into super teensy droplets, not reducing it to it's constituent atoms. smile.gif
I take a small swig of fluid, probably about 1/2 ounce, maybe less. I've never measured. I hold it in my mouth on top of my tongue and blow air over it very hard. So there's like a pool of it in my mouth that doesn't run or dribble out of my slightly open lips, but when the fast air pushes it forward it sprays out as a very fine mist. Make sense? If you do it right, your chin stays clean. If you do it wrong, you dribble all over yourself. The goal is to get very small droplets and no big ones.
Just add fire. The torch should be held at arms length, because the flames will come backward, and potentially light any fuel that happens to be on your face. Sometimes fire breathers will hold the torch close, but that's only for really short puffs, and if they know their face is clean.
Then, I wipe my mouth with the cloth and generally rinse-spit with the water, 'cause that stuff is nasty.
There are lots of more advanced tricks and stuff, but that is the basic, classic huge-frag-off-gout-of-flame-from-the-mouth trick.
Now don't go try it. The above is a basic idea, not a lesson!

edit: Just rereading your post, eidolon. Force of exhalation is lots. Like 80-90% Need to get those droplets tiny. Feel? Um, warm? I'm not sure what you're asking. The low surface tention of the lighter fluid has kind of an unsettling feeling in your mouth. It just doesn't move like water or anything you're supposed to be putting in there. It's hard to describe. Other than that just a bit of warmth on the face, like sitting next to a campfire.
eidolon
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Other than that just a bit of warmth on the face, like sitting next to a campfire.

Aye, that's what I was asking. Thanks dude, that's cool.

Does the quick rinse with water really do the trick? I'd imagine you go around tasting lighter fluid regardless.

And if you don't mind, how in the world did you end up getting into fire breathing?
Sphynx
QUOTE (Ryu)
That said, why did you not give him a custom magic power if you are allowing something that gives him "a dragons breath" via technology?

He first tried to do it with a more expensive 'Distant Strike', 3PP to include Fire Effect, but he couldn't convince the GM to let him 'breath' the attack. He also wanted to use the 2nd edition ruling that Adepts can emulate a spell, but nothing like that appears in 3rd edition...? What would you recommend?

Regardless, most of you guys are thinking along the 'screw the player' POV, not something we do or care to do. He just re-described it as Dragon'sBreath but using the rules for the other bio/cyber to keep it balanced. His 'natural gas' that he creates is now the same gas that a Dragon creates, since that seems natural enough. nyahnyah.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Other than that just a bit of warmth on the face, like sitting next to a campfire.

Aye, that's what I was asking. Thanks dude, that's cool.

Does the quick rinse with water really do the trick? I'd imagine you go around tasting lighter fluid regardless.

And if you don't mind, how in the world did you end up getting into fire breathing?

Regarding the quick rinse. No, it doesn't do the trick at all. My mouth tastes absolutely awful afterwards. It does, however, minimize the amount of fluid that I ingest, which is the most important part.

I don't mind. I'm just not one to list background or credentials on the internet unless someone specifically asks.
I joined a theatrical combat and stunt group several years ago, and eventually made it to Journeyman rank, which is the rank after the instructor ranks where you're expected to go off and start your own school. I went off, because I was finished with my graduate work in college, but I've been too busy to even think about starting my own stage combat school.
Basically, we do combat for plays, movies, and TV. We study all forms of historical martial arts, so that we can simulate whatever is needed for the role. Not that anyone asks for it, but if someone wanted a fight that was authentic 17th century Italian sword style, I've read manuals from that period and know which moves and style would be appropriate. We focus strongly on swords, but there are varying degrees of everything, from hand-to-hand to firearms, eastern, western, whatever. We also do choreography and training. In addition to stage combat, we also do a fair amount of stunt work, so I'm trained in high-falls (I don't do above 30 feet, because beyond that you need some pretty expensive equipment. Also, heights make me uncomfortable. Odd, I know.), burns (get lit on fire, up to and including full-body burns), jumping through glass, lots of mat-work and general acrobatics, that sort of stuff. The fire-breathing was just one of those things I picked up along the way.

Several of our members eventually went off to hollywood to persue professional acting/stunt careers, but I do it more as a hobby. My aspirations lie in different directions. Currently I do brain research, but eventually I want to move on and design prosthetics and maybe work on getting a better man-machine interface.
Stage combat was just a way for me to not go insane getting my engineering degrees.
I can't honestly say that my career path was not influenced by Shadowrun in any way. cyber.gif
Anyway, that's why I generally chime in on threads about human neurophysiology. I try to stay out of melee combat arguments, though, just 'cause, well, you know how those threads always end up going. grinbig.gif

Anyway, that's probably more than enough about me. I think the fire-breathing PC is cool, and you've got workable rules for it. I wouldn't bother trying to explain what the fluid is that he breathes. It's not methane, it's probably not lighter fluid, it may or may not be some kind of alcohol, just call it liquid handwavium and have fun with it. wink.gif
Butterblume
Moon-Hawk, you know, that is awesome.
eidolon
Agreed, that's bad ass. You make me regret my reticence in just doing something that interests me rather than "the job".

With the combat and stunt group, is it like a guild? Like electricians do apprenticeships and then journeyman and then master? That would be so cool. I'd love to get into the type of stuff that Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters do, because I'm handy with all that kind of stuff, but "the voice" is always telling me that it'd be impossible to break in.
Moon-Hawk
Thanks.

As for being like a guild. Ehhhh, sort of. The standard stage combat group in the states is the SAFD (Society of American Fight Directors) They require a minimum two weeks of training per year, and offer training and certifications in many different styles. However, you don't actually have to be affiliated with them in any way to do stage combat, but it helps to establish credibility. Because of their requirements, it's pretty easy to get. So they sort of establish a baseline for the industry and keep the idiots out. If you've got SAFD certification, you're at least competant, and quite possibly very good. If you don't have the certification, that's fine, but you need some other way of proving that you know what you're doing.

Many people from our group have sought SAFD certification, and since our training is largely similar to theirs, plus we train at least 10 hours a week every week of the year we've never had anyone have any problems getting certified. We have our own system of certification, but our cert fights are SAFD compatible, so they satisfy their requirements as well. We still have to go perform for them, but like I said it's never been a problem, and most people from my group don't ever bother, because they don't plan on doing it professionally, just for fun or maybe small-scale gigs.
SAFD has a few levels of certification for each weapon style, and the different styles are seperate, in that you can pick and choose what areas you get good at. My group has similar levels of certification, although we subdivide it a little bit more. In addition, we have a system of rank, each level of which requires a certain level of certification in a few "core" styles, plus a variety "elective" styles. We need that in our group because it gives us some commonality, but still lets people explore. There are several levels of student, a couple instructor levels, and finally Journeyman. Instructors are qualified, in our opinion, to teach but generally not to start a new chapter or school. Journeymen are. Of course, there's nothing stopping anyone from going and starting their own school, we can't stop them and neither can the SAFD.

So it sort of has the "guild" thing, but it's rather unofficial and unenforced, which can make things a bit dangerous. That's why the SAFD is so valuable to the industry, because while an SAFD certification doesn't guarantee that the person is great (although they might be) it does pretty much guarantee that they're not dangerous.

edit: removed shameless plug for my group. It's probably not appropriate to post it here. You want details, PM me.
Moon-Hawk
Um, sorry to hijack the thread. That was probably not-cool of me. I'm happy to keep answering questions, but someone let me know if it needs to move to PMs. Otherwise I'll keep using this thread.
Were there any more questions from the OP about fire breathing PCs?
eidolon
embarrassed.gif Yeah, as much my fault on this one.

Sphynx, if you want I can see about creating a thread and moving the fire-breathing posts out of here.
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Sphynx)
QUOTE (Ryu @ Dec 14 2006, 10:14 PM)

He first tried to do it with a more expensive 'Distant Strike', 3PP to include Fire Effect, but he couldn't convince the GM to let him 'breath' the attack. He also wanted to use the 2nd edition ruling that Adepts can emulate a spell, but nothing like that appears in 3rd edition...? What would you recommend?

Regardless, most of you guys are thinking along the 'screw the player' POV, not something we do or care to do. He just re-described it as Dragon'sBreath but using the rules for the other bio/cyber to keep it balanced. His 'natural gas' that he creates is now the same gas that a Dragon creates, since that seems natural enough. nyahnyah.gif

The best options are probably the unofficial "Knack" power described here, or combining Distance Strike (MitS p149) with Delay Damage 2 (MitS p149) and Elemental Strike (SotA2064 p65), though you technically can't combine Elemental Strike with either power (but hey, working towards a theme, right?).

The latter setup requires at least 5 of your starting 6 power points to create, so I think it's hardly unbalanced (Distance + Delay 2 + Elemental + Killing = 2+2+0.5+0.5 = 5). Probably rather underpowered, even.

Distance Strike gives you range, Elemental Strike gives you the fire effect, Delay Damage 2 lets you strike without any sort of offensive motion, and Killing Hands gives you power, plus is required for Elemental. You could probably link the whole set together under some sort of geas, and make the "breath" aspect a geas as well, to reduce the cost a bit.
Kesslan
@Moon-Hawk. Dude.. you rule all!

@Sahandrian:
Well.. thats certainly one way to.. sort of do it. The thing is that if their looking for something thats fully supported by Cannon. Technically that jsut doesnt work. However if your willing to just sort of 'bend reality' a little bit. Not to mention take that bit about new magic techniques allways poping up in the 6th world from.. ehh I think there was somethign bout it in SOTA63 or SOTA64....

I could certainly see that as a viable way of doing it, and just use it as an 'associated cost' for the power. The problem of course is that as you pointed out that sort of setup would cost a whooping 5 power points. And a Geas on it being linked to 'breathing' wont really do much to offset that (though it does at least help)

If you want to go the cyber/bio route and sort of base it off fire breathing. I might be able to think of something. I know if you hunt around enough especially ammong D&D materials, you can find variosu books that sort of go over how 'fire breathing' works for dragons. I've got a book somewhere that actually even has this sort of illustration. I thoguth it was kinda nifty actually.

I should try and dig it up and see if I cant seem to find some sort of cyber/bio combo that at least.. sort of makes sense. Since the diagram type thing was actually based to some degree on something that was at least theoretically possible for a biological being.
Sphynx
Eidolon, no worries. No moving needed on my account. But thanks for the offer. smile.gif

Sahandrian, I totally spaced/forgot about Elemental Strike from SOTA:2064, that book came out so close to 4th edition that we never really used it. I'll have to go through that book again, thanks.

Kesslan, I tend to agree, cost heavy for something so small. Although he built his character around the idea, it was just for theme, not power. His character is a ranged-support character (his 'power' is mostly around the Bow for 16M and a range based on a 12Str). I think the cyber/bio is a better way to go, I just want to suggest a better 'gas' to use for him, and right now I think putting the igniter between his lips (vs in his mouth by using his teeth) might be better....
Kesslan
Well I know, but while I'm all for character based gimicks, flaws and edges that help define a character and make them unique. You dont wnat to gimp yourself either you know?

At least not unless you like playing shadowrun on 'Nightmare' difficulty. And then all you have to do is call up a dragon and call him names.

The gland thing seems the best way for the chemicals and such yes. Its really the fuel/ignition stuff I was refering too. The book in question had some at least semi-plausible theory on how firebreathing would actually work in a biological creature.

If I recall it was basicaly two glands, and something to do with a chemical reaction. Basically teh two combined with oxygen helped cause the ignition of the fire itself I belive. But there was something else as wel that explained away how the dragon didnt just wind up burning the hell out of the inside of it's bouth as well.

Unless I'm wrong it's something that would technically fly in SR as well.
Sphynx
I look forward to reading your research into it. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
Again, I agree with the solution you guys used. The adept solution might be better for someone who really wanted to kick ass all the time with it, but c'mon, this is mostly for flavor an occasional surprise.
One thing about the adept power solution, though. Personally, I wouldn't require the delay damage thing. The burning shouldn't be delayable, that's just weird, and while I see where you're going with the whole 'doesn't need to attack' thing, that's so that you can be all stealthy about it, and breathing a huge frag-off ball of flame is hardly stealthy. Even then it's still 3PP, and reasonably like balanced.
But anyway, for this character I think the cyber/gland thingie is good. Two chemicals that mix to form handwavium. smile.gif I'd be happy with handwavium, but if you find a good pseudoscience explanation I'd love to hear it, too.
Glyph
Just a note on the natural immunity thing. You can take a dose of a drug or toxin with no ill effects once every (30-Body)/2 hours with no ill effects, but if you get a second dose before that time period, you take normal damage. So it would work if he uses it for the occasional edge in combat, but not if he uses it all of the time.

So how would you handle things like addiction tests or the damage it causes to cyberware and bioware? Personally, I would probably rule that he would escape both effects if he only used it when his Edge was in effect, but if he used additional doses, he would risk addiction and start building a tally for cyberware and bioware damage (assuming he has any - he is an adept, but a lot of adepts will trade a point of Magic off for some of the choicer pieces of 'ware).

(By the way, the (30-Body)/2 hours is from the erratta - older editions of the SR Companion, like mine, still say Body/2, which is pretty dumb, since that would make lower Body characters able to use the Edge more than characters with higher Body scores).
Sphynx
He's not an adept, he has a ton of cyber/bio ware (Well, not a ton, but Wired-2 takes up almost half his essence, and Toner/Augment/Thyroid take up a huge portion....)

As for how it affects him, no idea. Despite his immunity to the ill-effects, he's not used it yet. I think he only intends to use it if he gets in CloseCombat and he strives to never get in CloseCombat. I have no idea how the GM will handle it. Despite his min-max, he's probably the least likely of our group to ever actually abuse his creations. All I can do is 'let you know' if he ever uses it heavily, what the GM does....

How would I personally handle it? When I GM, I ignore Cyber/Bioware degredation. I don't do stress tests. If he used the drug too much, I'd have him make addiction rolls and become addicited or tolerant against the drug thus requiring more (as per normal addiction rules). Unlike my GM, I don't believe 'no ill effects' should aplpy to addiction as well as drug-effect.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sphynx)

Wound, I assume you're speaking of the Fire Breathing. Yeah, seems far fetched to me too, but unless there's rules to play a Draconian, he's always going to do his best to create one with the rules (Hence the Orc and Fire Breathing). However, in the last 2 games, he hasn't breathed fire at all, the characters don't even know he can. He just wants to be able to for theme, and as a general rule, we never disallow anything built on theme. We may bend the rules to make the cost more than the player wants to pay, but to make a character without theme seems a bigger crime to us.

I think I was traumatized when I was younger by a guy who always wanted to have weird character types. The problem was that he got so into whatever his theme of the week was that he always made those characters ridiculously overpowerful.

Also, from my current perspective, I usually want some kind of strategic or tactical challenge to the game, and that usually inherently means a higher level of risk for the PCs. So my usual way of approaching character creation isn't necessarily to make a character with an enormous backstory and a highly personal twist since the character has a higher chance of dying. Instead, I usually make a character who is just a joke on some level and which doesn't take me too long to write and then start playing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012