Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigger 3 PDF
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
XON2000
I know it's been said that all of the SR3 books would eventually be available as PDFs, but I'm really waiting for Rigger 3 to fill out my core book collection. Does anyone know when it might be converted to PDF?

Shawn
Fix-it
ebay?
Kagetenshi
That doesn't really help.

~J
Fix-it
Well I TRIED to be helpfull and checked battlecorps (who, i could of sworn had it.)

at least I didn't suggest piracy.

whoops.
XON2000
Yeah, I've looked at Battlecorps as well as the sticky post above with all of the currently available PDFs, but no luck. I have a hard copy, but I want to have them all on PDF. I'm just surprised that this one hasn't been released yet.
Sir_Psycho
Don't they cost money though? Why would you want to pay 30 dollars or so to get a pdf of something you have in hard copy?
Adam
Rigger 3 Revised needs to be scanned, and IMR has run into some snags with their scanning process [namely, the person doing it had a stroke...] so progress hasn't been made in quite awhile on getting backstock SR and Classic BattleTech titles scanned. It's high -- if not tops -- on the scanning priority list, though.
bofh
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Don't they cost money though? Why would you want to pay 30 dollars or so to get a pdf of something you have in hard copy?

And not only that, when you can get the same hard copy off the 'net for the same amount (ebay, titan, hero factory for example) or less. I'd like to have them all in PDF as well but not if it costs the same (or more) as having a dead-tree copy.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Dec 15 2006, 03:35 AM)
Don't they cost money though?

Yes.

Why would you want to pay 30 dollars or so to get a pdf of something you have in hard copy?

I wouldn't. I would, however, want to pay $10-20 (the price for most SR3 core book PDFs thus far) for a highly portable, fully searchable copy. The fact that my copy of R3R disappeared two and a half years ago, leaving me with just a copy of R3 (and the constant errata-checking that includes), just sweetens the deal.

I carry my laptop everywhere. I cannot say the same for my gigantic stack of hardcopy SR books.

(Not that I wouldn't love a deeper discount, but, well, it's still worth it to me at the current price.)

~J
XON2000
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)

I don't mind paying for the electronic version. I just want the convenience of having all of the rules on a laptop so I don't need to carry my big stack of books. The searchability is also handy.

QUOTE (Adam)
Rigger 3 Revised needs to be scanned, and IMR has run into some snags with their scanning process [namely, the person doing it had a stroke...] so progress hasn't been made in quite awhile on getting backstock SR and Classic BattleTech titles scanned. It's high -- if not tops -- on the scanning priority list, though.

Thanks, Adam. That's what I needed to know.
Fix-it
I hate to open a can of worms here, but is it not legal to scan a book you own?

I had a prof in college who would take a radial arm saw and cut off the binding, then feed the entire book through a hopperfed scanner. in addition, he could three-hole-punch the pages, and put 'em in a binder.
Kagetenshi
It's definitely legal. It's also a pain in the ass and requires, as you note, the destruction of the book.

The cost of not keeping your book in one piece and taking however long it takes to scan+OCR, not to mention the cost of either the money to buy commercial OCR or the time to set up an open-source OCR, all has to be factored in to make an informed decision.

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (Adam)

Woah!? A stroke? No intention of prying here, but are they okay?

On another note, IMR? I assume it's a company or something?

With pdf, I'm a pretty regular fixture on the "give me a real book if there's an option" side of the fence, but I do like pdf for portability, searchability, etc. I try to game at my house when I'm running to lessen the need to carry books, but I will carry quite a few with me if I go to someone else's place. It's nice, though, to have pdfs of the ones you rarely use. That way they're on hand, but not "on hand" and taking up space and weight.
bofh
And of course the potential return on investment. No point in paying someone $1,000 to locate, cut, scan, OCR, fix typos and convert to PDF if you only sell a few copies. That's why the almost equal cost between a used copy and a scanned in copy keeps me from going that route. I guess they'll charge what the market will bear smile.gif

Carl
Adam
Woah!?  A stroke?  No intention of prying here, but are they okay?

I believe his condition is improving.

On another note, IMR?  I assume it's a company or something?

In Media Res -- they're the guys that own BattleCorps and HoloStreets.
dog_xinu

And not only that, when you can get the same hard copy off the 'net for the same amount (ebay, titan, hero factory for example) or less. I'd like to have them all in PDF as well but not if it costs the same (or more) as having a dead-tree copy.

I have every SR4 book/item in hard copy and PDF format. Why you ask? During the game it is very easy to flip to page ### of the StreetMagic to read a spell, or ### of SR4 to read up on a particular hacking rule. PDFs are a little harder to do during a game. Plus you can pass the book back and forth between players/GM.

Having the PDFs on a thumb drive means when I am out of the game (like at work, or visiting friends/family, traveling,etc) I can read up on the game, create a new character, work on new gear for the game, new bad guys/missions of the campaign, whatever. My boss would be suspcious of me if they thought I was working and saw me opening up StreetMagic (or whatever) instead of a Perl/PHP Manual or EMC doc, or whatever.

I dont own the SR3 PDFs, but if I ever went back to playing SR3 I would seriously consider it.

just my 2cents worth,
dog
dog_xinu
Woah!?  A stroke?  No intention of prying here, but are they okay?

I believe his condition is improving.

that is good news to hear. We all pray that they are getting better day by day.

dog
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012