Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What if I have an issue with a moderator?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Dog
I'm finding one of the moderators is, shall we say... becoming unjust and subjective in his moderating. I've PM'd him and another moderator with my concern. Is there another way I should be dealing with it?
Adam
If you don't believe that they're giving you a fair shake, you can PM me.
fistandantilus4.0
In my case I usually prefer folks to PM me if they have an issue w/ something that I do so that we can work whatever it is out. Other than that, we often check with each other on anything important anyways, so we're all usually available for a second opinion. So yeah, PM the mod, and go from there.
eidolon
I'm the moderator Dog has an issue with.

Dog, I've PM'd you explaining both the shake you feel that you've been given and the post you took umbrage with.

To the comunity:

If you ever have an issue with how I handle a situation, you can always get in contact with me through PM, or if I'm on, via AIM by sending to Eid0lon.

tisoz
I've thought you were a bit over zealous a few times concerning flames and mature content, or even links to mature content. However, others made the same point I would have, only sooner.

Do we all need to post objections to over zealous moderating until the point is beaten to death? Or is this going to be a case where they came for this one guy and I kept quiet, it kept happening, and when they came for me there was no one left to complain? (I will hardly be the last one to go.)
eidolon
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Other members have thanked us for stepping in, or for removing content.

Not everyone is going to see all situations the same way. If you find yourself at odds with a decision that the moderators make, then please, get in touch with us.
knasser
QUOTE (eidolon)
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Other members have thanked us for stepping in, or for removing content..

No, not everyone will see things the same way. However, some people have the ability to enforce their way on others. It's a little disingenuous to use an argument of "everyone has their own opinion" in supporting forbidding those you dislike.

I'm presuming that you (eidolon) shut down the two interesting threads [RL] Chaos in the streets and [RL] the decay of modern morality. There was no comment from a moderator in there. Just a sudden locking of the thread.

At a rough count, I make it 12 posters in one and 15 posters participating in the other, and about 40-50 posts in each with not a single cross word that I recall. Most, if not all, of the posters are frequent posters who contribute a lot to this forum. And I would think that merits some respect. A number of people here have recently been declaring their intent to leave due to the increased moderation (which is primarily yours). I reject the notion that these are people who are abusive to other posters as well. If anything it seems to be some of the more thoughtful members.

So we had two very civilised threads containing a lot of interesting points of view, participated in by a significant number of people, probably read by a significant number more, suddenly locked and the discussion silenced. Why?

Certainly not because they were upsetting anyone, from my reading of those threads. Which presumably leaves the heresy of it being off-topic. That will inevitably happen in any community that is healthy. And we are a community. I haven't been here that long, but there are people that I enjoy talking to here and who interest me on a range of subjects. I've said this before. Primarily we all have an essential enjoyment of the Shadowrun game and setting, that is our common bond. It cuts nicely across nationality and sometimes religion and culture. But because we come to know each other, and partly perhaps because of our one definite shared interest, we want to talk amongst ourselves about other matters too. It would be a pretty soulless place if we're just faceless proponents of SR4 vs. SR3 or spent our time answering questions about healing drain and nothing more.

Active discussion is the lifeblood of a community and it's what most of us want at some point. If nothing else, the latter should count for a lot. Whether a moderator likes it or not, it is one of the things that draws people to this community and stamping it out removes part of the interest in the forum.

If the forum was drowning in random, inane babel, if newcomers couldn't find their Shadowrun related material, then we could see negative effects of threads like these two. I think you must allow that this is very far from the case.

So what we are left with is resentment amongst a lot of people that a minority has gagged them. As Tisoz posted elsewhere, there has been a furious amount of PM'ing about moderation going on recently, and a number of people are quite upset.

There are two responses I recieved before to this point of view, neither of which I feel is helpful so I'll address them in advance. The first is an appeal to Guidelines. This I find unhelpful because it presupposes some moral authority that they do not have. The guidelines could say that everyone who posts here must be a Christian, and that wouldn't suddenly make the requirement a good one for the community. The second response I have received before is that this is a privately owned forum and the owners (and their proxies the moderators), have the right to determine content. The falseness of this can be seen by anyone who's looked at the ownership of media in the United States, but regardless of the right or not to determine content, the response says nothing about whether a particular content decision is good for the community or not.

I have previously made several of these points via PM as requested, mainly to eidolon. I've yet to shake his conviction that he is in the right. I felt it appropriate, reading this topic, to put my point of view across more generally. I know it is shared by a number of other people here. Frequently some of the communities most prolific contributors who I personally would not like to see become disaffected and spend less time here.

It is not my intent to cause offense or to suggest that some moderators don't have the best interests of the community at heart as I know that they do. But I think moderation should only be used as a last resort and never without explanation, in order to counter something that is very clearly damaging the community. Creating resentment for anything less seems grossly counterproductive.

EDIT: Some half an hour later, I just want to emphasize that I don't want to come across as head-hunting. I like Dumpshock very much and I like the people here. Sometimes they even laugh at my jokes. And thats, you know, a rare quality in a person. wink.gif I haven't slept for over 24 hours now. I had a long reply written to some questions that had been asked in those previous threads where I felt that I'd been able to provide some useful information to people. And I'd learnt some things too. And then I clicked back to the threads and found that they were suddenly closed. I hope you can appreciate that when you've invested a considerable amount of your time in something (and there were some very long and considered posts from people in there), it puts you out a bit to find someone has just rendered it a waste. I'm going to stop posting here now. No particular offense was meant, but this is how I was feeling when I posted.
Bull
I'd just like to add a couple things real quick.

1) I've been mostly quiet, letting the new mods handle the bulk of the mod chores, mostly due to real life. However, both Adam and I are keeping an eye on things. I won't speak for Adam, but thus far I'm satisfied with the job they are doing. They're following guidelines set down by us.

2) Rememebr that we've been mostly mod-less for quite some time. There were a lot of factors involved, and it couldn't really be helped. But just because something has been handled (or not handled) a certain way for the last year or two does not mean it's going to remain that way. Right now, we're like an Old West Town that's been without a real sherriff. The roughecks have been mostly running the joint, and while things weren't that bad, they weren't that good either. We have guildelines and Terms of Service you all agreed to when you joined up to Dumpshock, and we expect those to be followed.

3) Threads that do not serve the function of the forum they were in will be moved to the appropriate forum. If there is no appropriate forum, they will be closed and/or removed from a publically accessible board. This is regardless of whether the posts have been civil or not. Our boards serve certain functions and are here for certain topics of conversation, and as has been beaten to death, we do not have an off topic board anymore for good reason.

*Edited to Add*

4) If you have a problem with one of the moderator staff, please bring it to Adam or I. You may not get a reply back right away (My schedule sucks right now), but it will be discussed and action taken if we feel it's necessary.

Bull
James McMurray
One thing I would suggest is always giving a reason when a thread is locked. It takes less than a minute more to add a post of "This thread was locked due to being off topic and not having a proper forum to move it to." That way people know what happened and why, and it lets them know what not to do later.

Sure, there are Terms of Use. But how many people do you think actually read those when they signed up? Complete explanations for why moderator actions were taken reinforces those ToUs in peoples' minds. Unexplained lockings just make people go "What the hell was that all about? Freakin' mods!"
nezumi
Not to be rude, but I would have to say, I haven't seen the forums being run by "roughnecks" and I'm curious what the end-goal of the forum is. I would assume that the end-goal would be to have a place where new people can come, ask questions and learn, and where old people are encouraged to stay, discuss and answer questions. This would mean we have two primary groups we're catering to and ultimately, I would think the latter group is more important than the former (if there are no old players to answer questions, no one will bother coming here to ask).

I personally have not had any problems with the moderation here, and I certainly appreciate it. I access this forum from work and don't want non-work safe stuff here, and we all know the lounge was basically a powder keg. I don't care about things like the RL threads one way or another because, while they do add extra threads I have to ignore, there are already so many SR4 threads I'm ignoring they're a drop in the bucket (and I will admit, I actually read the RL threads). However it would appear a number of posters, who I assume are the 'roughnecks' referred to before, do have a problem with it.

So the moderators are left to determine if their increased moderation will lose old members, the real driving force of the forums, and if so, how many. They have to ask themselves what content isn't newbie friendly but keeps oldbies around. Certainly a lot of the content will be in that category, especially now that SR3 is out of print (and many oldbies are not upgrading to SR4). There are only a few threads and users the mods would have to ban to get me to greatly decrease my time here (drop bear thread, SR3R, wounded ronin and kage leap instantly to mind as sources of great interest to me). The RL threads are also a draw. I actually enjoy the tangentally shadowrun related. I enjoy reading about firearms, survivalism, lockpicking etc. in their real life as well as SR manifestations, and that keeps me here to answer newbie questions.

So ultimately this is up to the mods. If you want us old question-answering people around, how much leeway are we allowed to make this forum open to our new interests? Unless, of course, they can get Fan Pro to publish some more SR3 materials smile.gif How many knowledgable resources should be driven away to make the site "newbie friendly"? And are any being driven away given the current moderation, or are we only losing members who don't contribute anyway?
Adam
Admin post: Quickly, so it doesn't keep getting mentioned over and over again: the threads being closed without the moderator leaving a reason for the closing was a mistake.
Moon-Hawk
First of all, I'm definitely for getting a reason when a thread is locked, but I can see the mods agree so there's nothing to argue.

But a suggestion: In the past, I've seen moderator posts in off-topic threads that were to the effect of "Guys, find a way to make this SR-related or it's getting closed" And then they did, and a great conversation was saved and some cool new SR-related ideas came up. That, or everyone went "Hey, this doesn't have anything to do with anything" and let it die. Either way, it ends up with more people being happier.

Just a thought. I, personally, haven't had any problems.
knasser
QUOTE (Bull)

3)  Threads that do not serve the function of the forum they were in will be moved to the appropriate forum.  If there is no appropriate forum, they will be closed and/or removed from a publically accessible board.  This is regardless of whether the posts have been civil or not.  Our boards serve certain functions and are here for certain topics of conversation.

And they could serve additional functions if you wished. The guidelines are whatever you have written them to be. And enforcement of them by the moderators is as rigid as they chose to be. A statement of what the guidelines are, in no way mitigates a criticism of how the board operates.

I have to say that nezumi has provided some interesting insights into the dynamics of Dumpshock. I haven't been here that long but I have a reasonably solid grasp of both the setting and the rules and I have played since 1st edition. I think I would usually fall into the oldies category. I certainly seem to recall that I have answered quite a lot of questions and offered many suggestions. However, like many people with a good level of intelligence and broad interests, I don't like being told what I can and cannot talk about. So I can at least partly answer nezumi's question about how many "oldie" posters the heavier moderation will drive away by saying that at least I will be spending less time here. I'm not going to extremes and will still come in to have a browse and make the odd joke. Because after all, I still play Shadowrun, think it's a great game and want to keep in touch with what's going on. But I don't really regard this place as a social place anymore. I'm soured to that aspect, from several incidents recently.

In case it's considered that I'm simply giving up on this, I would like to emphasize that I have made my arguments rationally and calmly very extensively via PM, in the past.

I'll be around on and off, but I invite anyone who wants to get in touch / stay in touch, to drop me an email. It has been a great pleasure talking to you all on a range of (mostly SR related) topics.

Thanks and peace be upon you, smile.gif

-Khadim Nasser.
Fortune
I hate seeing good people go for no good reason. frown.gif
James McMurray
The idea that a forum is not at its core a dictatorship has always confused me. Somebody somewhere is paying the bill, putting in the hours, and generally doing all the fiddly bits that go on behind the scenes to make sure a board runs smoothly. That person can and should exercise their right to have a forum that is shaped as they want it to be.

Granted, it's a balancing act. If you're too tight you lose people. If you're too loose you lose people as well. But from everything I've seen from in front of and behind the scenes at various boards, tight boards (as in politeness and topical threads are enforced) tend to last a lot longer and be more active than loose boards where flame wars reign and topical content is ignored.

I personally have chaffed a bit at the new moderation, mostly because I got used to having a DS where I could let go of some steam. But I don't blaim them in the slightest. I've mentioned on other boards that I visit here and gotten responses expressing sheer incredulity that anyone would want to purposefully subject themselves to the sorts of crap that goes on here. If I were a forum leader looking to be the "Not quite but almost" Official Shadowrun Forum I'd want to clean that image up too.
tisoz
QUOTE (knasser)
I haven't been here that long but I have a reasonably solid grasp of both the setting and the rules and I have played since 1st edition. I think I would usually fall into the oldies category. I certainly seem to recall that I have answered quite a lot of questions and offered many suggestions.

Your comment reminds me of my ignorance. I followed/played SR for about a decade before getting online and discovering Dumpshock. I was surprised how many rules I was ignoring or playing wrongly.

I am sad to hear you are distancing yourself from Dumpshock. Your contributions have been a welcome shot in the arm. I thought you were one of the 'better' new members, someone who posted frequently and usually had something to contribute to the discussion.

Gotta agree with Fortune's sentiment.

As far as people running roughshod the last couple of years, I remember far worse flame wars and uncivil behavior when I first joined. Then, it almost seemed like you had to have an attitude to post. Aside from the SR3 vs. SR4 wars, I think the place has become almost sedate. That is why the recent moderating activity seems out of place.

As far as the terms of service, when I joined, I read them and lol when I saw how they were pretty much totally ignored.
Sphynx
I just want to say I have no objections to the moderations that have gone on. I'm actually glad the moderators go locking and moving threads, because most of you guys can't seem to stop posting. nyahnyah.gif

My very first 'I'm back' post got completely de-railed, though in a nice way with lots of welcoming. However, its theme was a question on how many people were sticking to 3rd with how fragged up 4th is. Somehow turning into a discussion on Warhammer. Interesting discussion, but surely not worth reading if you're a new user looking for opinions of others on 3rd vs 4th. Moderators job is to make the forums maintain a level of information useful for searchers (primarily people who just-found the place).

I do think more leniency should be placed in the actual 'rules' though, cursing shouldn't be censored anymore, we're out of the 60's. Admittedly, some words and any name-calling should be censored, but Frag, I should have to write Frag everytime I wanna express myself. nyahnyah.gif

Overall though, the loudest voices are rarely the majority, they're just the most visible. wink.gif
eidolon
Cursing really isn't out-and-out censored as it is. We prefer people to refrain from making posts in which every other word would be beeped on TV, and cursing isn't allowed in topic titles (or subtitles). But as far as regular ol' spicy language? No big deal.

(Just to clarify.)
Adam
Also with regard to cursing, there's a big difference between: "Hey Bob, fuck you, you are a fucking ass." and "Hey Bob, that is a fucking awesome idea."

But as long as people don't make personal attacks, there's no personal attacks to slip the cursing into ... wink.gif
Konsaki
So calling someone a newblet (personal attack) is not the same as calling them a fucking ass (not a personal attack)? Good to know, thanks.
Moon-Hawk
I think there's a slight misunderstanding here. Adam is saying that calling someone a fucking ass is a personal attack, but saying "that is a fucking awesome idea" is okay, because even though it's swearing, it's not done in a personal attack so it's okay.
Konsaki
Ok, I re-read it and I must have missread it the first time.
RunnerPaul
Ok, we've established that you don't use profanity in thread titles, and you don't direct it at fellow Dumpshockers in a negative manner. Isn't font size an issue as well?

I know at least a few Dumpshockers visit the forums from work, and if there's something that's readable from over their shoulder across the room, I imagine it should be safe for work, right? You can tell someone that their idea is fucking awesome, but don't do it
in the largest text possible.
Moon-Hawk
Are you, sir, implying that some people would waste their employers' precious time by screwing around on some internet forum while they're supposed to be...hang on my boss is coming
Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah, the nerve that you would dare insinuate such a thing!
smile.gif
Dog
I'm with Knasser.

I didn't deserve to be singled out.

Whether or not the moderators intend to be making positive changes, it still leaves me in a situation where I have to second guess every post I make. The choices by moderators on how and when they intercede --as well as how to interpret the guidelines and to what degree to enforce them-- are currently all over the map. Hell, even the posts in this thread demonstrate that.

So in the meantime, I too will be forum-ing elsewhere, and hopefully I can check in sometime in the future and things will be consistent.
Good luck with that.
Adam
Well, still waiting for that PM from you, Dog. smile.gif
Dog
QUOTE (Adam)
Well, still waiting for that PM from you, Dog. smile.gif

Right, and two other moderators in this thread said that I could PM them directly. (Which I did.) And Bull said I could PM him or you. (I PMed him.) So are you starting to get what I'm saying about inconsistency? How many hoops should I jump through?

What you have to understand is that I do not have to win some argument with you guys. I am a dissatisfied user, and it is currently easier to turn somewhere else for this service. It's your problem to deal with. And if telling every dissatisfied user that there really isn't a problem is how you deal with it, then so be it. No hard feelings, see you around.
Adam
That's fair enough. However, I replied to your original post within an hour, and it took Bull over two weeks to reply, because, as he says in his post, his schedule sucks right now. So I'm really not sure why you PMed him instead of me, or why you just didn't CC the PM to all the mods.

All of the admins and moderators understand that there has been some inconsistency, as for years previous there was virtually no moderation [and previous to /that/, the moderation has been relatively heavy-handed.] -- we're all working to find a nice balance to make Dumpshock a more accessible place, but it isn't going to happen overnight.
Sphynx
Adam, if I may say, don't sweat it man. There's nothing at all bad about the moderation here. It's been nicely balanced, and it did happen pretty much over-night. Nobody is going to find a better shadowrun forum anywhere.
Dog
QUOTE (Adam)
That's fair enough. However, I replied to your original post within an hour, and it took Bull over two weeks to reply, because, as he says in his post, his schedule sucks right now. So I'm really not sure why you PMed him instead of me, or why you just didn't CC the PM to all the mods.

All of the admins and moderators understand that there has been some inconsistency, as for years previous there was virtually no moderation [and previous to /that/, the moderation has been relatively heavy-handed.] -- we're all working to find a nice balance to make Dumpshock a more accessible place, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

I PMed Eidolon first because my issue was indeed with him. I PMed Bull because at the time, I took him to be an authority figure around here. I didn't CC to every moderator partly because I'm not sure how to do that, and partly because I assumed that Bull would share information with whomever he thought necessary. (I mean, the reason I started this thread is because I didn't know what else to do.)

I should point out that I did both of those PMs before starting this thread (not as a response to this thread.) And I didn't check back on the thread until quite some time later, when several replies had been made, including Adam's, Bull's and Eidolon's. I looked at them and thought "that's fine, I've already done two of the things that were suggested." I didn't see anything indicating that Adam's instructions overruled any other moderators.

And to point out yet further inconsistency: Adam asks why I didn't CC a PM to all the mods, yet no moderator, not even Adam, suggested that I do that back when I asked what to do. That really burns me.

But really, I don't see the point in telling me that I didn't report it properly, when: 1. The origin of the thread was me asking exactly how to do that, and 2. The group of moderators that responded did not give me correlating answers.
See, if I'm told that I have to satisfy all of the different moderators' instructions and interpretations, then it only supports the notion that what one moderator finds acceptable, another will not. It tells me that even if one moderator looks at something I posted and determines that it's okay, another can come along and nix it without even having to have the backing of other administrators.

I'm glad to know you're working on balance, but the current situation is to tumultuous for my comfort. Like I said, I hope that I can return here in the future and find things more settled. Of course I don't want unmoderated trolls harping on me or anyone, but I don't want moderators harping on dumpshockers because they don't know what's expected of them, either. I agree that there's something between anarchy and martial law that would be good for most everybody. But what I see right now ain't it.

From this perspective, you haven't eliminated bullying, you've just made sure you pick who the bullies are. And for those of us who are not in the "in" crowd, it really doesn't provide any comfort.

It would be nice to know what steps are being taken to improve things. Are you assigning more moderators? Is more better? By what criteria are you selecting moderators? With due regard for their diplomatic skills and sense of fairness? Computer skills? Availability? Voting? Buddies? What standards are they held to? What are the plans for responding to complaints?

I really am hoping to find something here that will convince me that things will change. I want you to talk me into returning.
Fortune
QUOTE (Dog @ Jan 13 2007, 08:33 PM)
I want you to talk me into returning.

It would be really sweet if you would stay. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
"They mod best who mod least", IMO. The hands-off character of Dumpshock is exactly why I find it tolerable (I find it enjoyable for other reasons, mod style is a matter of tolerability), and I for one would be very saddened to see it change.

There's a longer persuasive essay here that I don't have time to write, but in short:

Premise 0: This forum exists for productive discussion.

This one's key, and I really hope the mods don't disagree with me. Other possible premises "this forum exists to appeal to the widest range of people possible", "this forum exists to promote Shadowrun", and "this forum exists to be a friendly, welcoming place to newcomers". While none of these things are undesirable as an incidental effect, I consider them bad primary goals for reasons that I hope are self-evident but probably aren't. I don't have time to explain tonight, if necessary I can try later.

Premise 1: the purpose of moderation is to ensure the continuation of productive discussion

There are subtleties here about what "productive discussion" is that are not easily solved.

Premise 2: Moderator action suppresses discussion.

Premise 3: A desired condition can only be reliably created by enforcing that condition, not by enforcing the conditions one imagines to be conducive to that condition.

This means that it's actively harmful to do things like give warnings, lock threads, whatever based on things like "people are being rude" or "someone on another forum said they weren't welcomed" or "this isn't Shadowrun-related" (and, on that last one, especially "this isn't Shadowrun-related enough).

IMO, there is one question a moderator should ask before any and all moderator action: "does taking no action harm productive discussion more than taking action harms productive discussion" (or, more completely, "what course of action (including no action) causes the least harm to productive discussion"). "Are people playing nice" is not a factor. Threads in the past have demonstrated that at least some segments of the community is capable of carrying on logical debate while showing utter contempt for one another. Rudeness is not to be avoided—flamewars are. I'm finding it difficult to formulate a proper equivalent for off-topic/semi-off-topic discussion, but I feel certain there is one.

Anyway, I hope that was coherent. I'm going to get back to that whole "sleep" thing I was about to do. People who disagree with my premises or conclusion, please try to be specific about the source and object of your disagreement.

~J
Adam
Are you assigning more moderators?

We just did, recently, adding Graht, Caine Hazen, eidolon, and fistandantilus3.0 in late October.

Before that, the only moderators really active on the board were myself and Bull [there are, technically, others, and some of them still have active moderator accounts, but they haven't been around regularly for a long time], and neither of us had a lot of time, which made even enforcement of any rules tough, so enforcement was either nonexistant or generally only occured when stuff had already gotten really ugly [and in some cases, after it had gotten really ugly and had blown over.]

Since we added the new moderators, old moderator Aristotle has gotten slightly more active, too, which is cool.

Is more better?

For a forum this size, I think 7 is better than 2. I don't know if we necessarily need more than 7, and now isn't the right time to add even more, as the new ones are still getting used to the role.

By what criteria are you selecting moderators? With due regard for their diplomatic skills and sense of fairness? Computer skills? Availability?

All of these. Several months back, we threw out a whole bunch of names of people who were a) around regularly, b) generally helpful c) had demonstrated that they knowledge of how forums worked / had run other forums, and that sort of stuff.

Voting?

Not public, no. We wittled down the list of people to a handful and asked them.

Buddies?

We did know a couple of them -- Graht has been an excellent helper over on the ShadowRN mailing list for years, and Caine Hazen attends Origins/GenCon so we know him socially [and he has previously offered to help with the forums], but eidolon and fistandantilus3.0 were absolutely not "buddies," although we're liking them just fine now.

If you take a look at the Does DS still need 2 Shadowrun forums? thread at http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=14727, you can see eidolon and I disagreeing on plenty of stuff, just weeks before we offered him a spot as a moderator. smile.gif

What standards are they held to?

They're expected to enforce the Terms of Service [which we are working ... slowly ... to update to be a bit more relevant -- they were written years ago by the original group of moderators] and, beyond that, spend time participating in the forums.

What are the plans for responding to complaints?

If a moderator takes an action that a user complains about, or if one of the other moderators brings up something that they don't think is kosher, we talk about it, try to find out why it happened, and try to make sure they don't do it in the future.

If one of the moderators was abusing their power on a regular basis, they would be removed.

krayola red
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Premise 3: A desired condition can only be reliably created by enforcing that condition, not by enforcing the conditions one imagines to be conducive to that condition.

This is true, but I don't think the main purpose of a forum is to create the desirable condition of productive discussion in a singular instance. It's to maintain that condition over time, and not only that, but to maximize the growth potential of that condition over time. While moderator action may be a detriment to productive discussion in a single thread, it may be that it's the exact opposite in the grand scheme of things. Por ejemplo, locking down a thread that's starting to make a turn for the nasty may stifle the possibly productive discussion going on in that thread, but continued enforcement of such a policy, if it's generally a favored one, will lead to a larger membership base, which means more minds will be contributing their ideas to the pool, which leads to, yay, productive discussion!

Oh yeah, I'm making an argument for moderation in general here. I don't have a stance on that issue as applied specifically to the 'shock because I honestly don't spend enough time in the main forums to have much of a stake in it.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (krayola red)
While moderator action may be a detriment to productive discussion in a single thread, it may be that it's the exact opposite in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW, I don't agree. Moderator action has a chilling effect that reaches beyond the current thread. Could you explain your reasoning here (since I'm rejecting your example a bit further down)?

Por ejemplo, locking down a thread that's starting to make a turn for the nasty may stifle the possibly productive discussion going on in that thread, but continued enforcement of such a policy, if it's generally a favored one, will lead to a larger membership base, which means more minds will be contributing their ideas to the pool, which leads to, yay, productive discussion!

Wrong. Larger membership base means larger membership base—you're falling into the trap of enforcing something that you imagine will lead to more productive discussion. Having seen a number of actively moderated boards with very large membership base, I can safely reject that causation.

Oh yeah, I'm making an argument for moderation in general here. I don't have a stance on that issue as applied specifically to the 'shock because I honestly don't spend enough time in the main forums to have much of a stake in it.

Yeah, I'm making arguments for universal "moderation theory", as it were.

~J
krayola red
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
FWIW, I don't agree. Moderator action has a chilling effect that reaches beyond the current thread. Could you explain your reasoning here (since I'm rejecting your example a bit further down)?

Not untrue, but it can also have positive benefits that also reach beyond the current thread. Whether one outweighs the other is the question, and one that can't be answered when speaking abstractly and in general terms. Whether or not one actually outweighs the other in a specific instance would be an illustration of good moderator action versus bad moderator action, but neither is the same as no moderator action.

You can always say that moderator action can never have any long term benefits, but I'm going to find that difficult to swallow.

Wrong. Larger membership base means larger membership base—you're falling into the trap of enforcing something that you imagine will lead to more productive discussion. Having seen a number of actively moderated boards with very large membership base, I can safely reject that causation.

The only way you can sustain a trend is to enforce what you called conditions you imagine to be conducive towards that trend. You can't just wave your magic wand and ban everybody who, over the long term, brings a net loss to the goal of productive discussion, because that's impossible to tell. And it just so happens that the course of action that brings about the optimal outcome in a single instance isn't always the course of action that brings the optimal outcome over the long haul. The scenario I illustrated was only an example, and while I disagree with your assessment, that's not really relevant to the matter at hand, which is the principle of the issue.
Aristotle
QUOTE (Adam)
Since we added the new moderators, old moderator Aristotle has gotten slightly more active, too, which is cool.

*smile*
I'm happy to be back.

CCing all of the moderators is just an option that you might think of, not a requirement by any means. The fact is even if you only send your complaint to the moderator in question, they will still most likely bring it to the attention of the administration and generally ask for clarification to determine if the right actions were taken or if more/less administration is required for the situation.

Since adding new, more present, moderators we've seen more moderation. That was the intent of adding new moderators. These guys will, over time, find an equilibrium to the way they apply their powers of moderation. That isn't to say they are in the wrong now. Aside from a few details (i.e. closing a thread without leaving a reason as to why) I think they have been doing pretty much what they were brought on to do.

If the actions of the moderator have been found to be correct by the administration, then there isn't much else that can be done. You can question why a certain forum rule is in place, but most of them are pretty much common sense or have been put into place after a great deal of consideration.

These forums exist for a specialized purpose. To discuss Shadowrun, participate in forum based Shadowrun gaming, and to a much lesser extent to discuss gaming in general. If you're posting topics to forums that they logically belong to, they won't be moved (or removed if no logical forum exists, such as is the case for "off topic" or many "real world" topics). If you don't post inflamatory content, you won't be censored or otherwise punished.
fistandantilus4.0
Por ejemplo, locking down a thread that's starting to make a turn for the nasty may stifle the possibly productive discussion going on in that thread, but continued enforcement of such a policy, if it's generally a favored one, will lead to a larger membership base, which means more minds will be contributing their ideas to the pool, which leads to, yay, productive discussion!

just two throw in my two nuyen.gif ....

Generally, if a thread starts going off, it's not the thread it's self, it's usually a key contributer or two that are the issue. In which case we prefer to post a request to get it back in line, or for folks to cool down a bit. If that doesn't work, goes to PM.
It's pretty rare to lock down a thread just someone was being an ass. Usually a thread lock is because it's just a dead horse, such as the ressurection and continued bumping of the Master Shake thread a while back.

QUOTE (Dog)
Buddies?

Ha! I got a message from Bull and was thinking "WTF? Why did Bull send me a PM? Did I do somethign wong?"

QUOTE (Aristotle)
If the actions of the moderator have been found to be correct by the administration, then there isn't much else that can be done. You can question why a certain forum rule is in place, but most of them are pretty much common sense or have been put into place after a great deal of consideration.

I'd like to point out the first point here, because genearlly if we're sending someone a PM about something, we've discussed it with another mod already, unless someone's just being way over the top. So if we're taking action on something being posted, it's probably already been discussed by a couple of mods. So forget the idea of some vigilante mod out there. Usually anything more than just moving a thread around or deleting spam is done by two or more of us.
Tanka
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Ha! I got a message from Bull and was thinking "WTF? Why did Bull send me a PM? Did I do somethign wong?"

You did what now?

nyahnyah.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Adam, if I may say, don't sweat it man. There's nothing at all bad about the moderation here. It's been nicely balanced, and it did happen pretty much over-night. Nobody is going to find a better shadowrun forum anywhere.

Perhaps we should try building one.

I know there have been migrations in the past, but iirc, they were over things not about SR. A few more things have occure post Origins that are leaving a shitty taste in my mouth.
tisoz
QUOTE (Tanka)

You did what now?

nyahnyah.gif

I saw a post from Bull actually adding to a thread the other day. It is the end of days. eek.gif
Bull
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Tanka @ Jan 19 2007, 06:46 PM)

You did what now?

nyahnyah.gif

I saw a post from Bull actually adding to a thread the other day. It is the end of days. eek.gif

<laugh> Man, if only I had the time and energy to just post for fun these days. Back in the ShadowRN Mailing List days, if I started replying to a thread, you were guaranteed to A) triple the list traffic for the day, and B) go off topic pretty quick smile.gif

Sadly, life's caught up with me. Niggling things like "responsibility" and "a real job" pretty much mean I have a limited amount of free time. Plus, outside of a bit of demo-duty at the cons and an aborted campaign a buddy tried running earlier this year for a few weeks, I haven't GMed Shadowrun in over two years, and haven't played in close to 5.

I'm around, I do read, but... I just don;t usually feel the compulsion to jump in and add my 2 Nuyen's worth most of the time. ork.gif

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012