Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Bionic Dolphin
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Link.

Looks cool. cool.gif
nezumi
Very cool. For a moment I thought the thread was about some drug-addled, code-breaking hacker dolphin. This is much neater. Wonder how much that ran them (and how much they're making off it now).
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (nezumi)
Very cool. For a moment I thought the thread was about some drug-addled, code-breaking hacker dolphin. This is much neater. Wonder how much that ran them (and how much they're making off it now).

Jebus, I was thinking the same thing... bad Johnny Mneumonic! Bad!
Fix-it
Wonder how much that ran them (and how much they're making off it now).

unless they get a contract from the Coast Gaurd (For that rescue version)

or from the navy (SEAL delivery vehicle?)

probably nothing.
Mortax
....I want one.
mfb
my first thought, on seeing the page, was "jesus hell christ my eyes!" after i adjusted to never being able to see beauty again, i thought the concept was pretty cool. i'm not 100% on the hydrodynamics, though. i mean, yeah, it looks sorta like a dolphin, but there's more to it than that. as i understand it, dolphins basically reverse the dynamics of airplane flight--rather than using thrust to create a lifting pressure imbalance, they use thrust-generated pressure imbalances to multiply their thrust.
Kesslan
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 22 2006, 09:39 AM)
Very cool.  For a moment I thought the thread was about some drug-addled, code-breaking hacker dolphin.  This is much neater.  Wonder how much that ran them (and how much they're making off it now).

Jebus, I was thinking the same thing... bad Johnny Mneumonic! Bad!

Yeah I was thinknig bout something similar myself. This thing is pretty cool though.

Ok so then, who wants to form a team to go 'extract' it?
mfb
hm. matter of fact, i see the exact opposite. they didn't bother with hydrodynamic theory at all, they just made something that looks pretty. separating fact from zomgz, it looks like their only real claims to fame are the fact that it goes pretty fast, looks cool, and doesn't leak.

which, hey, i'm not knocking it. it's cool as heck. but it's not revolutionary, so far as i can tell.
Kesslan
Not exactly revolutionary, but pretty darn good considering it was made out of a basic 'garage' rather than a proper prototype lab or something. Of course you can build, improvise uppon and improve pefectly good aircraft in a similar setting too, so that shoudl hardly be of any supprise at all I suppose.
Trigger
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Ok so then, who wants to form a team to go 'extract' it?

Definitely...I want me one of them biggrin.gif
eidolon
It's cool, but I'd like to see it's actual depth capability. So far it looks like it's "submersible" in that it can dip below the surface.
FlakJacket
Looks nice, but for Shadowrun I think I'd rather just stick to having a friendly mage with the Shapechange spell. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Looks nice, but for Shadowrun I think I'd rather just stick to having a friendly mage with the Shapechange spell. smile.gif

At least with the submersible you can't get humped by a real dolphin. smile.gif
Or is that a downside? nyahnyah.gif
Kesslan
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Dec 23 2006, 02:06 PM)

At least with the submersible you can't get humped by a real dolphin. smile.gif
Or is that a downside? nyahnyah.gif

I'm thinking Flak here considers it an upside, afterall there's gotta be some reason he'd want a shapechange spell when he cant bring his gear along wink.gif
FlakJacket
Take waterproof pack, place clothing and assorted lethal objects therein, attach lead with bit at other end and pull along with you. *Sigh* I have to think of everything. nyahnyah.gif
Kesslan
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Take waterproof pack, place clothing and assorted lethal objects therein, attach lead with bit at other end and pull along with you. *Sigh* I have to think of everything. nyahnyah.gif

Yeah but what happens if you do, or have to go low to the sea floor, or worse yet a coral reef or some such? Your draged behind bag gets snaged on something and rips off and at the same time, likely causes a great deal of damage. Or any number of other things. ALso if it's got a propeller you really need to watch it when your dragging a line behind you. All the more so when it's underwater since just because you go one way doesnt mean at first what your draging will.
FlakJacket
Uh, propeller? question.gif

Edit: Ah, slight misunderstanding I think. smile.gif I meant why not simply go along to your friendly neighbourhood magician and get them to use the shapechange spell to change you into an actual dolphin? Then if you want to take anything with you simply use your dolphin-y mouth to hold onto it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012