Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about laser- and shotgun-microphones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phaeton
I'm trying to make an investigator and a face, both with the aforementioned equipment. The said devices have ratings, but what do the ratings mean? Flux? Perception bonus when using them?
Siege
Rating while using them.

Basically the device rating either substitutes for your perception check or adds to it, depending on the GM ruling.

-Siege
Phaeton
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks!
Siege
Ok, I should really emphasize here: this is my interpretation and not necessarily canon.

Shadowtalk would probably have the detailed rules (which I don't have).

I should start prefacing my replies with: SMILIE

Strictly My Interestingly Likely Interpretive Evaluation

-Siege
paladin
Also, IIRC, white noise generators and such also have ratings that listening devices make opposed tests against.
Shockwave_IIc
Actually, thinking about it, unless theres canon rules saying otherwise i would use it instead of normal perception.

I mean think about it, what chance would a normal person (non perception adept) have of hearing a conversation behind a closed window, if not standing next/ right up against said window?
Siege
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Actually, thinking about it, unless theres canon rules saying otherwise i would use it instead of normal perception.

I mean think about it, what chance would a normal person (non perception adept) have of hearing a conversation behind a closed window, if not standing next/ right up against said window?

The counter argument would be the person's ability to perceive the information being transmitted via shotgun or laser mic.

Just because the sound is amplified doesn't mean that I'll necessarily be able to hear it or be able to isolate it from background noise. To do that, I'd have to make my own Perception roll.

Just exploring ideas until I get ahold of a canon source.

-Siege
TinkerGnome
Probably the best way to do it would be to simply let perception be perception. The rating only comes into play when you're being opposed by something (white noise generators, window tremblers, other tech designed to defeat the listening devices). Alternatively, you could roll it as complimentary dice on the perception test, as an indication of the transmission quality.
nezumi
I glanced through the books and this was all that I could find...

In the main sourcebook, portable surveillance gear counts as vehicle sensors for all intents and purposes (except, perhaps, plugging them in) (in equipment, look up surveillance gear). I'm assuming mics work as passive sensors. If so, yes, you still just use your perception (as per vehicle sensor rules). The mics give you a chance to hear what's saying you wouldn't have otherwise, but it's still up to you to be able to interpret the noise.

This means the rating of the mics affects their range and flux rating (which determines overcoming interference, intentional or otherwise). A rating bajillion mic will work just as well as a rating 1 mic, as long as you're close to the target and no one's trying to interfere.

I don't have shadowtalk either (in fact, I've never even heard of it), but if anyone has any other books I should check, I can do that.

Funny, considering how shadowy and secretive the game is supposed to be, you'd think they'd have written out the rules for these a bit better. I have as of yet to get a chance to use a mic. But then again, most groups prefer to grab their target by the hair and lop of limbs (see what Seige suggested someone do to their wayward decker friend!) Unless you can turn the power on the laser mic waaaay up, or the shotgun mic is actually built on a shotgun, it's no wonder why so few runners use 'em.
Siege
If you notice on what aspects of the game have changed, you'll get your answer.

It's an adventure game in the same spirit (if not letter) of DnD. Or perhaps "Ronin."

Which is a valid context, certainly. But how many of your fellow gamers would enjoy taking the "Sneakers" approach? How many players, when presented with research mission, are capable of assembling a target package that evaluates site security (hard/soft), backgrounds of targets and family members and so on? Never mind their characters.

This is not to say that there aren't people who run their games with that depth and degree of complexity, but I would say they're the exception rather than the rule.

A fair number of games consist of "let's meet at the bar, kill some orcs and loot the countryside." mentality. Which, if that's what the players want, go for it.

And I referenced the wrong book: it should be "ShadowBeat" -- a guide book for media characters and popular entertainment, including telecommunications. This was released for 1st Edition, back in the day.

-Siege
Siege
And I did suggest Biotech to remove the limb safely, if you were fond of them. grinbig.gif

The axe if you're not...while I have been accused of being subtle, I am invariably acquitted.

-Siege
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Oct 29 2003, 04:45 PM)

The counter argument would be the person's ability to perceive the information being transmitted via shotgun or laser mic.

Just because the sound is amplified doesn't mean that I'll necessarily be able to hear it or be able to isolate it from background noise. To do that, I'd have to make my own Perception roll.

Just exploring ideas until I get ahold of a canon source.

-Siege

But isn't the use of Electronic devices covered by the electronic Skill??

Just a counter aguement nothing more. Since the topic What u can and can't do with Electronics has come up time and time before.
Siege
That's the catch, isn't it?

I'd rule it this way:

1) Using a shotgun mic to listen would be strictly a Perception roll.
2) Using a laser mic to listen would be a strictly Perception roll.
3) Using bandwidth modulator would be Electronics.
4) Waging ECM and/or ECCM or Sensor ops would be Electronics.
5) Using a cyberdeck with programs to enhance or filter recorded sounds would be Computers.

The only guideline I can suggest would be the degree of complexity of the action taken and how many layers of tech exist between action and character.

Otherwise, characters would need Electronics to use cell phones and pocket secretaries. And Electronics would clash headlong with Computers.

-Siege
TinkerGnome
Hmm... Electronics might be a good complimentary dice pool to throw on the perception rolls for the devices, representing your ability to tweak the sound to get a better audio quality.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012