Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Fingers... fun!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LynGrey
Hey guys i've been thinking of al ot of handy stuff to do with magic fingers. My first character i built and keep rebuilting was a Mage Subductor Spirit Con artist, and I picked up levitate and magic fingers just to mess around with.. like steal peoples drinks and tips they set down.. you know.. pety stuff.

Well i'm in the process of making a killer gun-bunny and I noticed that a smartlink works with multiple weapons... and i was trying to find more than one way to get extra arms besides "obvious cyber arms" and it came to me... MAGIC FINGERS and Sustaining Foci =) I think it would work.. what you guys think?
Jaid
actually, smartgun systems/smartlinks explicitly *don't* work with multiple weapons.

however, i would certainly allow you to extend the rules for dual wielding ranged weapons beyond just 2. simply split your dicepool as many times as you are attempting to shoot weapons.

of course, the fact that you're going to have different agility for your extra "hands", plus the fact that you're not aiming properly, is pretty much going to have a negative impact on your accuracy, but if you're just going for sheer volume of gunfire, sure you can do that.
6thDragon
It would be very effective for suppressive fire, or just to give a little flare to the character, but I don't know how practical it would be.
Kyoto Kid
..two words.

Ranged tickling...

Should be worth at least a -2 distraction to the target.
OneTrikPony
biggrin.gif Magic Fingers
Hey! There's a party in my pants, and I didn't invite anyone!. BRB biggrin.gif

I think the distraction mod should be determined by net successes on an apropriate skill check.
warrior_allanon
oh the old magic fingers and levitate questions, as always here what people in my group have usually used it for:

Need to get in a room that the door has a floor spike blocking the door from opening, using a automotive mechanics mirror, open the door partially, slide the mirror through, then use the magic fingers and levitate spells to move the spike.
Mortax
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)

smile.gif lol, that brings back a fun character. Cat shaman, had overstim at high level, and magic fingers. Make the pollitician/ humanis guy have a little...accident right after you drop his pants.

As to an actual use for magic fingers:
tie a guards bootlaces together
release a magazine on a gun
pull a grenade pin
unscrew a lightbulb, plunging the room into darkness
pull the barrel of a gun off target
spin guards helmet around
move plannter in way of charging guard
open a boobytrapped door from a distance
make the gun sitting next to a guy on a table go off

I know there are others, but I can't remember them
Kesslan
Man I am soo going to have to look that spell up. It sounds like alot of fun.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)

I think the distraction mod should be determined by net successes on an apropriate skill check.

...Hermoine (the first mage character I've written up) would go for that if it was Knowledge, "Physiology - Sensitive Regions". Haven't played her yet, but this was one of the reasons she has MF.

She also has the Orgasm spell as well.

...such a shameless kind of gal.
Kesslan
I'm starting to understand why there are initatory groups that are for the most part massive orgies and such
Mortax
There was one guy in my group who made a character that wanted to cast the orgasm spell on a level that would effect the entire world. He never played it, which was unfortunate, that would have been an interesting. I think he would have had to try to find Howling Coyote and fire up the Ghost Dance.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Mortax)
There was one guy in my group who made a character that wanted to cast the orgasm spell on a level that would effect the entire world. He never played it, which was unfortunate, that would have been an interesting. I think he would have had to try to find Howling Coyote and fire up the Ghost Dance.

That... would have some interesting side effects. I can just see some poor runner sneaking by a dragon in it's lair when that spell fires off...

Or even, say some runners in a running battle with corpsec, when simultaneiously everyone has this earth shattering orgasm right amid all the flying spells and bullets.

Oh boy and all the car crashes that would result from that too....
lorechaser
QUOTE (Mortax)
knasser
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Mortax @ Dec 27 2006, 03:30 AM)
There was one guy in my group who made a character that wanted to cast the orgasm spell on a level that would effect the entire world.  He never played it, which was unfortunate, that would have been an interesting.  I think he would have had to try to find Howling Coyote and fire up the Ghost Dance.

Looks interesting, but it doesn't seem to display on my mate's Linux box. I'll have to look at it at work.

On topic, the subject of Orgasm spells came up when discussing area effects. I.e. if someone casts an orgy spell in a shopping centre and sustains it, do people walking into the area effect have to make resistance roll or only those who were in the area effect at the time?

Also, would a quickened Orgasm spell on someone count as a cruel and unusual punishment for legal purposes?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Oh boy and all the car crashes that would result from that too....

...and planes
...and maglevs
...and just about any other from of transport save for ships out at sea.

wouldn't matter if they were rigger controlled either.
Konsaki
Now there's a question, do people that are rigged into a drone suffer from this spell?
Demerzel
QUOTE (knasser)
On topic, the subject of Orgasm spells came up when discussing area effects. I.e. if someone casts an orgy spell in a shopping centre and sustains it, do people walking into the area effect have to make resistance roll or only those who were in the area effect at the time?

The way I’ve personally ruled that sustained AOE spells have an area that is static and anyone entering and leaving would experience or stop experiencing the effect.

I’ve based this decision on the fact that the center of an area of effect can be moved if it is within line of sight and you spend a complex action. That indicates to me that the area is static, not the targets.

The other way to interpret this is to say that the subjects who are affected by the spell when the area hits stay subjected until the spell is no longer sustained, however why would you need to move an area of effect if that is the case.

The tricky part is what happens when you sustain the AOE and leave the area. You no longer have line of sight to the targets entering the area, does that mean they are not affected? If so that’s pretty worthless, I generally rule that they are affected and just say, “Yes I know that breaks the LOS rule for spells and I don’t give a frag.”

Hummn, upon further reading your post you may not have been asking about this just mentioning that it was already discussed.

I'm still upset that there's not a touch range orgasm spell called Hand Job.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
... but this was one of the reasons she has MF.

She also has the Orgasm spell as well.

Why would she need both?
Konsaki
Forepl... Um... the many other uses... yeah, thats it.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Now there's a question, do people that are rigged into a drone suffer from this spell?

...I would imagine so.

[All of a sudden you see that Roto Drone above begin spinning about wildly spitting out HE grenades...

...roll initiative]

Fortune
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Forepl... Um... the many other uses... yeah, thats it.

Good answer. biggrin.gif
LynGrey
oddly enough any conversation about Magic Fingers turns into the stimulation aspect of it for some reason.. i wonder why?

And where does it say smartlink doesn't work for multiple weapons.. I'm not saying you get +2 for every gun, but you would get a +2 to your dice pool before you split it up.
Jaid
QUOTE (LynGrey)
oddly enough any conversation about Magic Fingers turns into the stimulation aspect of it for some reason.. i wonder why?

And where does it say smartlink doesn't work for multiple weapons.. I'm not saying you get +2 for every gun, but you would get a +2 to your dice pool before you split it up.

QUOTE (BBB @ page 141-142)
Two-gun attacks also negate any dice
pool bonuses from smartlinks or laser sights. Additionally, any
uncompensated recoil modifi ers applicable to one weapon also
apply to the other weapon.

since you asked so nicely...
RunnerPaul
So, since the rule refers to "two gun attacks", 3+ guns is still cool, right?

[Grin/Duck/Run]
LynGrey
oh yeah most definitly... if it doesn't say 3+ then it doesn't apply...

[bolts for cover]
Draug
[Opens fire with 3+ smartlinked White Knights]

Still, a couple of red spots on your target should help you aim a bit, shouldn't it? Even if you do have two guns up?

[Keeps spraying bullets in all directions in order to cover escape]
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (Jarl)
Still, a couple of red spots on your target should help you aim a bit, shouldn't it? Even if you do have two guns up?

RAW: No
IRL: I have no idea, but I'd guess yes.

I'm considering houseruling this for my campaign. Would the use of laser sights or smartlinks on two guns seriously unbalance something, at the moment the two-hands two-guns tactic doesn't exactly seem gamebreaking.

Two hands, two guns, just as God intended!
fistandantilus4.0
I ignore the RAW on this one. I see no logical reason that the SGL or laser sight shouldn't apply. Hasn't been a problem in our game. We just split dice pool and go with it. Works just fine.
psykotisk_overlegen
That's what I thought, glad to hear it's working.
Jaid
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)

[Grin/Duck/Run]

only if you can shoot 3 guns at the same time without shooting 2.
Draug
Oh, stop being so serious, Jaid. You're such a bore! nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
Prehensile tail SURGE quality... fire 3 guns at once.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Dec 28 2006, 01:38 PM)

[Grin/Duck/Run]

Fine. Keep your pound of flesh, for now.
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Dec 28 2006, 01:38 PM)

[Grin/Duck/Run]

3 =/= 2

So, that's a yes then? grinbig.gif
hyzmarca
For classical magic fingers fun, pull the pins on your enemies grenades. Do it to your teammates grenades during downtime for a lark, too.

Make a paper airplane and convince people that it is a proptotype stealth drone that you stole from big AAA.

Flying chainsaws. For extra fun, pretend that they are sentient flying chainsaws.

Sit on the side of the road press buttons in people's cars as they drive by. Pinch drivers' nipples, too.

Quadruple-wield katanas.

Drill a hole in the bottom of a container of liquid and use a magic finger to plug it. Unplug when funny or useful. This works rather well with gasoline cans in the hands of people whom you do not like.
ornot
re: the OP. How would the magic fingers spell cope with recoil from the guns? Plus You're not only haemorraging dice to actually fire the guns, but you also lose a couple of dice for each sustained MF spell. Sure you can invest in a bunch of sustaining foci, but that's going to cost you a lot of nuyen and karma to bind them all.

As far as using manipulation spells to fight people I've always preferred just chucking sharp stuff using telekinesis or fling.

I'm not sure that tickling would be all that effective. You wouldn't be tickling them inside their clothes for one thing, and not everyone is particularly ticklish. It might call for a one off composure roll, but no lasting penalties IMHO.
Kyoto Kid
...what I want is a "Wet Willie" magic fingers spell.
Kyrn
Something I've oft wondered about magic fingers: What level of tactile feedback exists in the "fingers" used? Would it be worth it for the lecherous old or typical young male magician to cop feels with magic fingers? I would assume there is some level of tactile feedback in order to enable, like, shooting sixteen guns at once and such, but am unaware of any published canon on the mater.

Don't judge me!
fistandantilus4.0
How can we not? biggrin.gif
Kyrn
Because you know that you've wondered exactly the same thing. Say in chem class, tenth grade, about <name deleted for legal reasons> two rows back, on "sweater" day? Come on, be honest...
fistandantilus4.0
rotfl.gif

notworthy.gif
Kyrn
Thank you, thank you. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyrn)
Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Before or after copping a magical feel?
laughingowl
Fun things with magic fingers:

1) Arming grenades:
2) Zippers, Zipppers, Zippers fun all around
3) Mage sight Goggle and opening doors, alot can be opened from the inside very easily
4) Zippers, Zippers, zippers fun for all

Magic Fingers is one of the spells I would consider having on a sustaining focus-1 if I had such a weak foci. Even with Str-1 Agil-1 there is still alot you can do with a free pair of hands than can reach anything you can see.
Kyrn
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jan 3 2007, 02:17 PM)

Well why do you think you're tipping her?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Kyrn)
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jan 3 2007, 02:17 PM)

Well why do you think you're tipping her?

Connor: What the fuck are you doin'?
Rocko: I'll tip her!
cool.gif
Kyrn
I don't know about that. I mean a conscious waitress could theoretically be helping one enjoy the telekinetic fondling (telefondle? Worst X-man ever) while an unconscious stripper may or may not, depending.

Of course, the magic fingers will make it easier to untie knots in all that rope you're hanging from.

Ya gotta have rope! I mean, Charlie Bronson had rope and he always found a use for it!

You and you're fucking rope...

Hmm...rope...plus a g... equals back on topic! smile.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Mortax)
unscrew a lightbulb

I've been playing a while and reading these forums a while, too, and it just occurred to me that an excellent use of levitate and/or magic fingers would be to move something that is too dangerous to physically move. Be it too hot/cold/spiky/acidic/sharp/etc..
hyzmarca
Magic kancho. Enough said.

You could use magic fingers to set explosives from a distance.
Kyrn
Kidding aside I'd amazed if it (or variants of it) wasn't widely used in labs, reactors, and surgery. A microscope, some fiber optic, and the docs just got themselves a brand new way to cram more ware into the sams! Or, you know, do work/research into a field that's a bit more sense economically than cyberware. Like saving lives.

Hell, just think about a low force magic fingers spell next time you're watching the game. Anybody need a beer? More pizza? Lost the remote? Cat blocking the screen?

Or scratching that awkward itch while on a date or in an interview. I can't think of any magician who wouldn't pick it up for RP reasons...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012