Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question about submitting a proposal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheRedRightHand
Hi all. I just have a question or two about submitting proposals to FanPro and I hope any of the other freelance writers who come to the forums might be able to answer them for me.

First, are either Cities of Intrigue or Feral Cities "Open for submissions" and is there any where I can find a write up about what these books will cover (IE. What TPTB are looking for in these books) so I can find out which (if either) my idea would fit in best for.

Second, I assume books of this nature are split between a few writers with each writer contributing one section to the book (in this case one city fully fleshed out). So, if this is indeed the case, are the Submission Guidelines different? Since the actual section of the book you will writing will be quite small I imagine the corresponding proposal might also be a bit shorter. The published guidelines suggest a submission length of 5-7 pages (but this is for a full book), but I would imagine most of the "smaller" entries in these books might not even reach that length when complete (I am using the smaller city write ups in Runner Havens as my guideline.) Is this the case? Or do they even accept outside submissions for these parts of books?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with these questions.
Demonseed Elite
Both of those books are open to submissions in that neither of them has reached the point where we know what is going to be in it and who is going to be writing it. If you are interested, you should give it a shot.

There's no real guide as to what the devs are looking for in submissions for those books yet, aside from the general impression you get from the titles. Cities of Intrigue will tend to focus on cities where political forces have the most power and Feral Cities will tend to focus on cities that are fighting to maintain basic order or have already fallen into disarray. Don't take that as an official synoposis, because it's not, but it's my impression.

If you are aiming to write one of the smaller city entries in these books, you can very likely do a shorter proposal submission. Just keep in mind that even if it's shorter, it's still equally important to have an outline of what you want to write and to "sell" your piece on why it should be included in the book. Most importantly, it should still demonstrate your ability to write.
TheRedRightHand
Thanks smile.gif
Butterblume
There was a thread with lots of infos about the topic not long ago. I am sure someone with better memory can point there, if your Search Fu is weak.
TheRedRightHand
I looked at that thread first, but it didn't have the info that I needed. But thanks for the attempt to help us poor wannabies and pointing us in the right directions.
Synner
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
There's no real guide as to what the devs are looking for in submissions for those books yet, aside from the general impression you get from the titles. Cities of Intrigue will tend to focus on cities where political forces have the most power and Feral Cities will tend to focus on cities that are fighting to maintain basic order or have already fallen into disarray. Don't take that as an official synoposis, because it's not, but it's my impression.

Actually, we're slightly further along than that... The developers have a short list of cities to feature in both those books, including a rough idea of what the two major locations will be. However, this is still flexible and we've made changes based on unexpected submissions before and will certainly do so again.

If you are aiming to write one of the smaller city entries in these books, you can very likely do a shorter proposal submission. Just keep in mind that even if it's shorter, it's still equally important to have an outline of what you want to write and to "sell" your piece on why it should be included in the book. Most importantly, it should still demonstrate your ability to write.

What Demonseed said. If you're an untried writer submitting, you are an unknown quantity so make sure to outline and sell your ideas for whatever piece you are doing, tell FanPro what those concepts contribute to the setting, why you think they're cool, and why you think other people/fans would like them too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012