Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR3] Upgrading a deck
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
swe_wolfis
Hello again,

Now I have done my first run with my first decker character.

I have Novatech Hyperdeck-6, and I really want to get more active memory and according to Matrix page 56 you need parts: OMC @ (memory size x 2), plus 1.5 x memory size.

So if I understand it correctly if I want to buy 1000MP active memory I need two OMC @ 1000 MP/each(max 1000 MP per OMC) 5 nuyen/MP=10000+1.5x1000 or 2000?

I know this is totaly wrong, but where am I doing this wrong? Since it "only" costs MPx7.5 nuyen to buy it from Hacker House in a custom deck.
Drraagh
You're looking for 1000MP of active memory, then according to the parts you would need a Optical Memory Chip that has (Memory Size*2) or 2000MP, at .5 nuyen per MP (that's what I'm reading for cost on p 54, not 5 nuyen per MP), it would be 2000*.5=1000 nuyen. You would then add 1.5*1000=1500, for 2500 nuyen for 1000 MP of active memory.

However, if you are going through a deckmeister for a pre-made memory, you're looking at 7,500 nuyen for the memory. The reason for that is the rules on page 66-67 with the multiplier and all. However, and don't quote me on this because I'm still working on the math, but there may be parts that are, in the long run, cheaper to buy then to make.
swe_wolfis
QUOTE (Drraagh)
You're looking for 1000MP of active memory, then according to the parts you would need a Optical Memory Chip that has (Memory Size*2) or 2000MP, at .5 nuyen per MP (that's what I'm reading for cost on p 54, not 5 nuyen per MP), it would be 2000*.5=1000 nuyen. You would then add 1.5*1000=1500, for 2500 nuyen for 1000 MP of active memory.

From where have you gotten then .5 nuyen/MP? according to both Matrix(p54) and SR3(p295) it costs 5 nuyen/MP.
Drraagh
Shadowrun 3rd Edition Errata
Version 4.1
Date: 02/28/2004

The price for optical memory chips should be Mp x 0.5¥, and the Concealability of the skillsoft jukebox was changed to 6.

And they also comment that the errata for Matrix would be corrected in their second printing, which I'm guessing is the book that I have. I can scan the section that shows it, but in mine it shows .5 ny per MP.
swe_wolfis
Yes, I saw that now, but strangely that it does not say that in the Matrix errata
Slump
from what I recall, in the text it lists .5 and the chart lists 5 in the matrix book. Either that, or it's reverse. But I do distinctly remember it's listed as both prices in my copy of the matrix book.

Now, if only I could find the book...
Drraagh
QUOTE (Slump @ Jan 2 2007, 05:52 PM)
from what I recall, in the text it lists .5 and the chart lists 5 in the matrix book.  Either that, or it's reverse.  But I do distinctly remember it's listed as both prices in my copy of the matrix book.

Now, if only I could find the book...

Text lists it a 5, chart lists it as .5.

Most likely, the checked the chart, saw it right and figured it was correct in the text (if it was mentioned at all). It's easier to read all the charts than look at all the text.
swe_wolfis
Another question, to install the memory I need to make a Computer B/R (4) test, can successes be used to decrease the installation time?
Drraagh
Only place I see it specifically saying about reducing time is in the design test, but that makes reference to the taking the time rules in SR3 corebook, so I am assuming that yes, you can use extra successes to reduce the time since it is a main rule they reference.

In the design rules, they say you can either lower your TN 1 point for every 2 successes in the install or cook test OR you can reduce the time by the taking the time rules. Your successes can go to one or the other, not to both like in programming where you divert some successes to the bug test and the rest make the program go faster.
swe_wolfis
QUOTE (Drraagh)
Only place I see it specifically saying about reducing time is in the design test, but that makes reference to the taking the time rules in SR3 corebook, so I am assuming that yes, you can use extra successes to reduce the time since it is a main rule they reference.

In the design rules, they say you can either lower your TN 1 point for every 2 successes in the install or cook test OR you can reduce the time by the taking the time rules. Your successes can go to one or the other, not to both like in programming where you divert some successes to the bug test and the rest make the program go faster.

yeah, but there is no design test in installing memory, just installation test and it dont say anything about using successes for decreasing installation time under installation test.
Drraagh
QUOTE (swe_wolfis)
QUOTE (Drraagh @ Jan 2 2007, 06:36 PM)

yeah, but there is no design test in installing memory, just installation test and it dont say anything about using successes for decreasing installation time under installation test.

THe reducing time rule in SR3 pretty much says it can be used with any extended test to reduce time. So, I commented on where it said there was a choice to be made on what you could reduce. Other than that, I would take it as you can reduce the install time based on your successes, but then that's just me, I try to streamline stuff.
swe_wolfis
And since I'm on the subject, Microscopic vision gives TN-2 on fine manipulation of small or microsized objects ie TN-2 on all installations tests?
Fortune
QUOTE (swe_wolfis)
And since I'm on the subject, Microscopic vision gives TN-2 on fine manipulation of small or microsized objects ie TN-2 on all installations tests?

Pretty much, yep.
swe_wolfis
Another quick question:

Since my deck already has 500Mp active memory, and I want to have 2000Mp, should I buy 2000Mp and sell the 500Mp, or does the rules allow me to by just 1500Mp?
Moon-Hawk
My understanding is that you could just buy another 1500Mp. The game doesn't require that you micromanage your deck to the level of how many active memory slots are on your motherboard and how much each chip has (although it does come close), I'd say it's safe to assume there are more slots and you just upgrade by adding some more.

But I don't believe the rules are explicit either way, so it's up to your GM's interpretation, ultimately.
swe_wolfis
Oh, another question.

How do ppl handle Sleep Regulators? Could a decker, program for 16 hours, sleep 4, program another 16 and so on?
Moon-Hawk
There are rules for pushing yourself beyond the normal 8-hour work day and related penalties. I don't remember which book they're in, though, maybe somebody can help me out?

You can function for 16 hours and sleep for 4, but you can't spend 100% of your waking hours working on a task for very long, because regardless of your need for sleep no sane human mind has the attention span for that. Your productivity would go to crap and you'd be wasting more time than you'd be gaining.
swe_wolfis
Its in the matrix page 55

Hour 1-8 gives one hour work/hour
hour 9-15 gives 30 minutes work/hour
16+ gives 15 minutes work/hour

But with the sleep regulator you only need to sleep 3-4 hours/24hour to preform at maximum, so you should be able to do more work within a 24 hour period, since you only need 3-4 hours sleep instead of 7-8.
Moon-Hawk
As I said, the ability to maintain productivity for days on end is about more than sleepiness, IMO.
Generally, the way I've handled this in the past is that if someone wants to use their extra hours in the day for multiple endeavors, in combination with maintaining their lives that's fine, and they can definitely get more done, but not for working on a single task for 20 hours a day every day for a month.

I think a most generous interpretation would be to assume that the need to sleep 4 hours gains you 4 in the day, and to push back that table by 4 hours so that it's
1-12: 1 hour per hour
13-19: 30 minutes per hour
20+: 15 minutes per hour

As always, talk to your GM for final word. We can, at best, only give you some idea of what to expect from him/her, and forearm you with some arguments either way.
Butterblume
I can agree with Moon-Hawk. I once did a 100-hour week, and you start getting crazy after a few days (especially when doing something you need to concentrate on, like programming). I had a few free days scheduled after that, so I had something to look forward too, besides completing the the task at hand.

Programming 16h a day for a longer period of time, I can't even imaging how that would feel. (I couldn't do a pensum like that with an MMORPG biggrin.gif).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012