Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healing in adverse conditions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sunnyside
I'm new to SR4 and I've got a character who'll be trying to heal next session. Anyway I was wondering if any of the modifiers aply to healing tests or if they only apply if someone wants to use medicine.

On one hand it makes sense. If you're trying to heal without any meds alone under a shrub in the amazon basin it should take longer than if you're in a nice hospital with meds, skilled care, fresh bandages etc.

And in reality if you have nasty wounds in the amazon scenario it makes sense that you might die (because if you're only rolling 1d6 you'll get a critical glitch for every two hits you get, so you're as likely to die as heal)

If modifiers only effect use of the medicine skill I suppose that kind of makes sense too, except people pretty much regenerate then and you'll always heal up in short order.
fistandantilus4.0
I'd say it would be harder because you have wonderful littel things to factor in like infections.

Personally I don't like the SR4 healing system, I prefer the 3rd edt version, but I would apply the modifiers. Good way to reflect the difficult conditions he's in, unless you do want to acutally give him an infection.
Thane36425
Its not just infection but more environmental conditions.

For example: A good bed in a hosptial that has airconditioning, is clean, and has food and water brought to you would be top of the line, short of emergency room care.

Compare that to being at home (SR4 version). A not so good bed, things are a bit dusty and cluttered, you have to get your own food and water or order delivery.

Street level would be squatting in a filthy building on the floor, no climate control, terrible food and sanitation and the constant worry about the other street types who might do you in while you're weak.

Then of course there is the great outdoors. Even if you have a tent, there won't be any climate control, the hard ground, camp food, or the wild variety if you have the survival skill and dodgy water. And don't forget the critters running around out there.

So, a lot of it comes down to the character's ability to rest and be comfortable and get decent food and water.

The actual care modifiers are from environment and what is going on. A surgeon would have an easier time fixing you up in an operating room than a paramedic would in the middle of a street brawl where they are having to watch their backs and all that distracting chaos.
djinni
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Personally I don't like the SR4 healing system, I prefer the 3rd edt version, but I would apply the modifiers. Good way to reflect the difficult conditions he's in, unless you do want to acutally give him an infection.

when a character can take 24 boxes of damage and then be completely healed the next day it tends to lean toward the unbelievable
fistandantilus4.0
so you have a troll character too huh?
djinni
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
so you have a troll character too huh?

nope I'm human...I shoot alot of trolls though.
sunnyside
So what I'm hearing is that all you guys apply the healing modifiers to the basic healing rolls?
Thane36425
QUOTE (sunnyside)
So what I'm hearing is that all you guys apply the healing modifiers to the basic healing rolls?

In SR4, if I am reading the rules correctly, the dice pool penalties take away successes and you have to generate more successes than the total penalty to accomplish what you were trying to do. So, if you had a penalty of -2, you need 3 successes to "win". This would apply to all rolls. In this case, the penalty would apply to healing attempts with first aid or medicine as well as the character's own roll to heal on their own.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Thane36425)
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 4 2007, 08:55 AM)

In SR4, if I am reading the rules correctly, the dice pool penalties take away successes and you have to generate more successes than the total penalty to accomplish what you were trying to do. So, if you had a penalty of -2, you need 3 successes to "win". This would apply to all rolls. In this case, the penalty would apply to healing attempts with first aid or medicine as well as the character's own roll to heal on their own.

Not quite. The dice pool penalties take away from the dice pool before you roll. This generally causes you to get less hits (successes), but it doesn't subtract from the hits directly.
What you are describing is a threshold modifier. A threshold is a minimum number of hits before the remaining net hits start counting. If there was a threshold of 2, you'd need 3 hits to have 1 net hit.
Not the same thing.
Thane36425
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Not quite. The dice pool penalties take away from the dice pool before you roll. This generally causes you to get less hits (successes), but it doesn't subtract from the hits directly.
What you are describing is a threshold modifier. A threshold is a minimum number of hits before the remaining net hits start counting. If there was a threshold of 2, you'd need 3 hits to have 1 net hit.
Not the same thing.

OK, Thanks for the clarification.
Moon-Hawk
No problem. That's what we're here for. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012