Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrible villain ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Herald of Verjigorm
After seeing yet another of those stupid "smack the celeb" banner ads, I started fantasizing about if someone would actually start going around following those stupid ads. This immediately made me think of psyochotropic conditioning.

So, I'm sure you can guess:

An antogonist who was conditioned to do everything (insert megacorp of choice) says in their ads. Initialy, this conditioning just meant that they had one certain sale for anything they advertised on the matrix. Since then, the marketing department changed and started adding some "shoot the monkey and win" ads. No one thought to remove the standard background script, so the individual(s) scorched to be perma-buyers are now running loose, punching celebrities and shooting monkeys.

So, anyone else have any ideas of antagonists that will make players wince once they understand?
Drraagh
Well, first of all, with your villain there, perhaps it was someone who was infected by psychotropic IC, or depending on your view maybe the corporate feeds (in the arcologies, at least) subliminally try to get the watcher to 'trust the corp. The corp is good' and so forth.

One villain I mentioned in another thread was Vinnie Gregarino from Gargoyles. First, one of the Gargoyles stole his motorcycle and trashed it. The authorities didn't believe him when he reported it as they thought he was drunk and thus took his license away. Then he was working security at a floating airship when the gargoyles invaded and then destroyed the airship, thus putting him out of a job. At his next job, working security for a company, he was the guard at the parking lot the night the gargoyles kidnapped a scientist thus getting Vinnie fired.

He had it out for the Gargoyles and got a huge gun built so he could cream the Gargoyles. He then found Goliath in the middle of fighting with an enemy (Vinnie was the comic relief of the episode as he kept having things happen to him to prevent him from getting the shot off until the very end). Approaching Goliath after his fight, he aims the huge bazooka at him and fire, creaming Goliath with Banana Cream and then just walking away whistling. Goliath is left there to ponder who that man was.

Now, to adapt this to Shadowrun, have the effects of your player's runs cause things to lead up to that. Like an example; the runners are blowing a building up because the people who 'live' there don't pay protection to the right people. Maybe some debris from that falls and destroys the guy's car. Next (to borrow from a 'commercial' in one of the Robocop movies), the guy is in charge of securing a contract at work. However, the runners take out some installation that is also a relay station for communications or something, thus he loses the contract. Things like that, and now this guy is out to hunt the players down because they ruined his life.
Moon-Hawk
The problem with that is, while it is hilarious for the GM or another omniscient observer, by the time you explain it all to the players it just won't be funny anymore.
Drraagh
Depends on how complex you make it. Yes, you could do the "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die," and have someone striking back for the fact that your team killed off a guard who was this guy's father or some such. (Or if you want to be truly evil, maybe this guy is a clone or something like that).

As for ways to build it up; Have some references appear in the news if your player's watch it, for example. Like after the explosion at the building they took down, have a few people interviewed for their view of things and he has his piece where he comments on his car. Maybe they see him later as a guard working somewhere and remember that piece or whatever. Various stupid things like that, but yes, I suppose it'funny for the third party instead of them.
Thane36425
Horrible villians? How about a vengeful ex-girlfriend who is either an active mage, a latent mage who's power is revealed after the break up (see Street Magic about that), or is a hacker. Or perhaps her new beau is one of the above and acts on her behalf.

The vengeful corper who the PCs cost his job is a good one too.

If your mage abuses the spirits they summon, how about a free spirit that takes exception and works against the mage and his friends. All kinds of possibilities there.

Another one I used was shortly before Bug City happened. The team was a bountyhunter outfit that had some idea about bugs, but mainly they focussed on ghouls, toxics and things like that. They were after a bunch of ghouls in Atlanta only to find that there was a crazy mage leading a large pack of ghouls. They were kidnapping street people for the ghouls to infect and turn into more ghouls, only the best ones of course, the others were food. Turned out that the mage had some idea about the bugs and thought that ghouls would be the only ones to have a change since bugs don't try to invest them with new spirits. The team ended up fighting a lot of ghouls, associated gangs, and the mage himself.
Drraagh
This one might be interesting as a villain. Not sure if he'd really be considered a villain though so much since it's not exactly violent, but I suppose it could be.

Heard the song 'The Real Slim Shady' when I was out today and I got thinking about with all the rootkits and so forth already on CDs these days, just imagine what you might get buying a record from corporations. The record studio is basically releasing personafixes to create people to consume more of its music and buy its products. Now, there's a couple different ways I could see playing this, depending on what you want to go for:

A) One of the personafixed fans actually believes that they are the star and decide to eliminate the imposter.

B)A rival corporation hires you to stop the music from being produced since it is hurting their bottom line and the army of loyal fans tries to stop them.

C)This army is used by the musician to do his bidding, commit various crimes and deliver the goods to him, take over the city, whatever he wants.

All this because we got rid of the RIAA who, while pissing people off with the filesharing issues, were also dealing with the production of music as well.
Sahandrian
I don't recall ever making any too-awful characters in SR, but I did write up Kirby in a superhero game once.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Drraagh)
A) One of the personafixed fans actually believes that they are the star and decide to eliminate the imposter.

This one here is actually similar to one of the SR3 books little premade plots/plot suggestions. I dont recall which book has it though. But basically a bunraku parlour meatpupped made up to look like and personafixed as Daviar hires the runners to take out the imposter and clear her as the 'real' Daviar.

There's actually alot of fun stuff you can do with personality programming in SR. You can even weave a web of personafixed villans with the -real- villan eventually revealed. All allong the 'villans' were just mostly innocent folk who'd been programmed.

And then you can have the truely delusional types. The Hero Cop that keeps arranging for certain bad guys to constantly escape so he can get more press time by recapturing them.

The really rich guy who finally lost it and thinks the bugs are everywhere, and hires people for jobs on ontotally nonsensical things. Like bomb this mall or steal this object etc. All to 'hurt the bugs!'. ANd occasonally one of his own people of course is 'turned into a bug' and must be killed! (The PCs perhaps?)

The crazy patriot types like you have in the movie Swordfish.
Drraagh
Reminds me of the CP2020 article Blackhammer did in Jack Attack, called The Perfect CP2020 Villain. I would post a link to it, but right now I'm getting a 500 Server Error. You can find it cached in Google or on the Wayback machine most likely, or if they fix it. Anyway, it talks about how to create a good bad guy.

It uses Keyser Soze as the villain model, but that's because he was cool, he was powerful, he was evil, but most importantly, he was hidden. You didn't know who he was until it was too late.

One of my favorite ideas it talks about is making it so the villain isn't who the players think it is. Like at one point, they think it is some Xanatos-like richer than God himself schemer and after starting to piss him off, they find out it's actually another guy in another city.

Or, like one of the GMs did in a game... Robotic 'clones' of a person. They picked one of the PCs in the game, had them get kidnapped and have the team come rescue them. However, that had been enough time for the bad guys to get the information needed and make three robotic images of the character and when the players attacked these clones were set free on the world. Maybe at some point, your group finds out that one of them is the evil villain, oh wait, it's just his clone. Or maybe it 'is' actually the PC. wink.gif

Edit: was going to add this to another thread, but decided it fit best here:

I just finished watching 'Upgrade', an episode of Disney's Gargoyles and it had me thinking about something similar to this thread. One group of people, The Pack, once big time action TV stars whose lives were ruined by the Gargoyles (though ironically they were made famous in a plot to fight the Gargoyles anyway, but that's not here nor there). So, the Pack is sick of losing every time they fight and thus gets upgraded.

I love the pitch he uses, it even screams to be used in Shadowrun: Have you ever considered the bounties of Genetic Engineering? Or maybe Cybernetics is more your style? And they say clothes make the man (a video clip of someone taking off power armor, in case it wasn't obvious). And my personal favorite, the glory of robotics.

However, what this fight turns out to be as you see through clips of the episode is that it is a chess game being played by the scheming Xanatos and his wife Fox (who used to be a member of the Pack). Xanatos is playing with the Pack, and Fox is 'manipulating' the Gargoyles, since her only associated maneuver was to use a Public Service Announcement to direct the second group of Gargoyles to where they needed to go.

Now, it might be interesting to play a game like that. I once had a D&D campaign where once my players beat the dragon, they found a Risk-like board in his den. It was the dragon tracking its manipulations.
Ravor
I don't know, personally I've always felt that the best villians were the ones that could have been the hero if the story was told from a slightly different point-of-perspective.
Kesslan
Well theres no real best. And you dont allways want to be using the same type of villan every time.

It's nice to throw in the 'hero gone bad' now and then, or even the not really a villan when you look at his actual reasons for doing something.

Like.. maybe at one point some nobody NPC warns one or more of the PCs of some dire thing unless they (the PC or PCs) dont do/do X or what ever. And make it something.. really stupid, or something thats unlikely to be done/not done.

This then sets off some chain of events that leads to some great tragedy that will only get worse unless they PC(s) is/are stopped! So to accomplish this the NPC sets out to take down the PCs. Maybe not even necessarily death involved, could be to just lock them up till a certain event is past or something but make it look like he's actually out to kill the PCs. Maybe his henchmen decide to hell with taking them alive or something.
wargear
In Transmetropolitan they had this fun stuff called Infopollen. It would be squirted out of the side of buildings onto connsumers infecting them with advertising memes. Every use of it had a high chance of fragging up the victims neural system. I could easily see this working as a kind of nanotech that overrides the pan, uploading to or subscribing the victim to the advertising network of choice. It would not be hard to use this as a gateway for psychotropic Ice.
nezumi
My favorite villains are a group of hardened mercenaries who kill, steal and destroy, generally focusing on covert industrial espionage, for the highest bidder. Generally they should be a group of 2-6 with a diverse skillset, and it's best if they think they're the heroes.
Ravor
*chuckles* Aye, and the best part of it all is that you generally have no idea exactly what they are going to do next.
Thane36425
QUOTE (nezumi)
My favorite villains are a group of hardened mercenaries who kill, steal and destroy, generally focusing on covert industrial espionage, for the highest bidder. Generally they should be a group of 2-6 with a diverse skillset, and it's best if they think they're the heroes.

I can be insteresting to make the characters the villians without them realizing it, just be sure to allow a "path to redemption" if they want it.

The infopollen idea could work well too. In an older adventure, the mission was to raid one of the TV networks to steal some R&D. Bascially what they were working on was hypnotic signals sent over the broadcast to make the veiwer think the program they were watching was the best thing ever, no matter than the baseline show was nothing but a person sunbathing on the beach. No movement, no plot, no nothing but the signal. There was also an advertizings variant to get people to go crazy for a certain product.

Just imagine that technology loose. The bad guy gets it, modifies the format and sends out mass emails to everyone's VR systems ot hacks into a number of electronic billboards in crowded parts of town. The orders are simple, run amok smashing, breaking, burning and killing anyone who tries to stop you. The bad guy then uses this to blackmail cities into paying him lots of money or it will happen again. Perhaps the people have already been programmed to go crazy again, more of them than before, but they just don't know it yet, but as soon as they get the trigger, off they go.
nezumi
QUOTE (Thane36425)
I can be insteresting to make the characters the villians without them realizing it, just be sure to allow a "path to redemption" if they want it.

You're playing the same game I am, right? Because in my game, slaughtering a dozen security guards to make sure they don't report anything going wrong is the standard MO. Of the two most ethical guys in the group (defined as 'not sociopaths'), one has his car outfit with a freezer in the trunk so he can tear used cyber out of the dead and sell them for cheap at his clinic, the other is a professional drug and weapons dealer.

Even in the most 'ethical' Shadowrun games, the PCs recognized early on the only reason they're going to survive and profit is by regularly breaking dozens of laws, stealing from rich and poor alike, and mercilessly ending lives of anyone unfortunate enough to get in their way.
Butterblume
Mahatma Gandhi broke laws, that doesn't make him a villain. Well, except from a british point of view biggrin.gif.

It's pretty easy to let the pc heroes in a fantasy rpg appear as villains, at least in the eyes of most other NPCs. I have done it. Has been done in tv series uncounted times.

In SR it's harder, not because the PCs are criminals per definition, but because the crimes they commit are generally commited in secret. I must think about it and try to work into my next campaign cyber.gif.
Probably let them appear as a ruthless anti-meta terrorist cell. That would mean a few runs where metas are killed or pro-meta interests be thwarted. Even if it actually has nothing to do with a racial angle. Throw in one or two runs for real racists, so there is a connection. Some reporter then publishes a conspiracy theorie that meshes facts and rumors together... and there are people out there who know who did one or more of the runs the reporter just referenced.

Like I said, I need to think about it. But I'll definitely try to integrate it.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Drraagh)
Well, first of all, with your villain there, perhaps it was someone who was infected by psychotropic IC, or depending on your view maybe the corporate feeds (in the arcologies, at least) subliminally try to get the watcher to 'trust the corp. The corp is good' and so forth. 

One villain I mentioned in another thread was Vinnie Gregarino from Gargoyles. First, one of the Gargoyles stole his motorcycle and trashed it. The authorities didn't believe him when he reported it as they thought he was drunk and thus took his license away. Then he was working security at a floating airship when the gargoyles invaded and then destroyed the airship, thus putting him out of a job. At his next job, working security for a company, he was the guard at the parking lot the night the gargoyles kidnapped a scientist thus getting Vinnie fired. 

He had it out for the Gargoyles and got a huge gun built so he could cream the Gargoyles. He then found Goliath in the middle of fighting with an enemy (Vinnie was the comic relief of the episode as he kept having things happen to him to prevent him from getting the shot off until the very end). Approaching Goliath after his fight, he aims the huge bazooka at him and fire, creaming Goliath with Banana Cream and then just walking away whistling. Goliath is left there to ponder who that man was.

...now this would work in the context of a Champions campaign.

As to using the "hero" out for revenge idea, I have done it in my last campaign with a former PC I had retired some time ago and quite successfully may I add. The team had no idea who was behind a lot of what went down & wondered how this person knew so much about the mission they were on. The character didn't have it in for any of the PCs, but for one of my NPCs.

The best part, this former character was right under the runners' noses much of the time & I even dropped a subtle hint now & then. Guess the clues were too subtle.
nezumi
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Mahatma Gandhi broke laws, that doesn't make him a villain. Well, except from a british point of view biggrin.gif.

I think Maddox said it best:
http://store.theworstpageintheuniverse.com...l#CIVILBLACKRED

That said, Ghandi demonstrated against unjust laws using completely non-violent, non-aggressive methods. I've never seen a runner say "I think it is unjust that we are not legally allowed to kill security guards" *BANG BANG BANG*. Certainly they never did so and allowed themselves to be caught to prove the point. There are 'Robin Hood' runners, but they are (thank goodness) generally pretty rare.

That said, somehow comparing a man who is spending $2,000 to track down a security guard who ratted on him after he killed off 9 of her co-workers, so he can tie her down, beat her, kill her and possibly rape her in revenge to Mahatma Ghandi amuses me to no end.

In SR it's harder, not because the PCs are criminals per definition, but because the crimes they commit are generally commited in secret. I must think about it and try to work into my next campaign cyber.gif.

You're saying it's tough to make the PCs appear as villains because they so rarely appear at all?
Butterblume
QUOTE (nezumi)
I've never seen a runner say "I think it is unjust that we are not legally allowed to kill security guards" *BANG BANG BANG*

I wonder if there is actually a law against killing security guards. People, sure, but people who work as guards? biggrin.gif.

That said, somehow comparing a man who is spending $2,000 to track down a security guard who ratted on him after he killed off 9 of her co-workers, so he can tie her down, beat her, kill her and possibly rape her in revenge to Mahatma Ghandi amuses me to no end.

Mission accomplished then wink.gif.
I was thinking of Gandhi making salt out of seawater. He incited enough people to do the same that, what, about 60000 were thrown into prison (probably much more if they had the space). Now, if thats not the sign of the arch-villain, converting at least 60000 people from law-abiding citizens to treasonous criminals ? rotfl.gif

You're saying it's tough to make the PCs appear as villains because they so rarely appear at all?

Basically, yes.

And since T-Shirts came up, I have that really great one which incites people on the street to point a finger at me (in a friendly manner), laugh or even start a conversation. It shows Bush, Powell, Cheney and Rumsfeld in dusters (I think they are called dusters), armed with shootguns and advancing nonchalantly with a big fire at their backs. It reads:
Justice is coming
Tombstone, Arizona

Even more fun that it is older than 9/11.
Thane36425
Runners don't *have* to kill security guards. There are gell rounds, narcojet and other ways to take them down but leave them alive. You can also use, I don't recall the name of it, but it is kind of tape but very strong (not duck tape) that can be used to tape elevator doors shut, stairwell doors shut and, of course, guardroom doors shut. Add in flash-bang grenades, tear and vomit gas grenades and you can often get by without lethal force.

Keep in mind that security guards also have professional ratings. After taking a certain amount of damage, they give up. Most guards won't take a lot before giving up, which means, again, you don't need to kill them. Now, groups like the Red Samurai are going to require lethal force because of their armor and, if they are after you, its kill or be killed, not like some 9 to 5 wage slave.

Not killing everyone is sight can cause corporations to go a little easier on you in terms of paybacks and if they catch you. That was mentioned somewhere in all the material out there. This is also the way I play it with most corporations, except Aztechnology. It also means that a corporation will have less of an axe against you and thus be more likely to hire you in the future, and not screw you over at the same time.

Granted, it isn't always possible to go nonlethal and lethal weapons should always be carried too, just in case being kinder and gentler isn't cutting it. In merc campaigns and destructive raids, lethal force is almost always the rule of the day.
Drraagh
The runners I play tend to not kill someone unless they have no other reason. I do play some of the standard will kill for fun runners because I enjoy that sort of angle and it is nice to blow off steam, however, that's also what most FPS'es are too. Perfect Dark, Deus Ex, Hitman, or even Thief if you're looknig a more medieval setting, are all games that have the option of going stealth or full bore combat and the gaming styles change depending on how you play. Stealth, you're going to face a lot more 'puzzles' likely and work on your timing. Whereas in full combat, it's a matter of quick reflexes and maybe a bit about cover too.

As was mentioned, the thing with killing people gets everyone madder at you than leaving them alive. Corporations lose money when people die in pensions, insurance and costs of cleaning up not to mention hiring new people. If you leave them alive but wounded, sure there's some healing in the hospital or mage healing, but that is likely less expensive. And if they're not wounded at all because the guards fought smart or didn't fight at all because the runners snuck in, then all the corp lost was whatever was taken.

Then we have angles other than corps. Family members, lovers, friends looking for justice. Maybe even another runner/group doesn't like the fact that the runners are killing everything as it is making a bad name for them (meaning that if security forces want to keep their jobs they'll have to crack down because death is high profile on the news circuit. Hard to spin it).

So, you can have runners who break laws and don't kill people. Now yes, there are sometimes I have done white hat 'Robin Hood' type runners, doing runs to help out the community or things like that. Other times, it'll be a black hat type who doesn't care what needs to be done, except will not rack up a body count. Instead, they pack splat glue, dart guns, gel rounds, things like that as their weapons.
Thane36425
QUOTE (Drraagh)
The runners I play tend to not kill someone unless they have no other reason. I do play some of the standard will kill for fun runners because I enjoy that sort of angle and it is nice to blow off steam, however, that's also what most FPS'es are too. Perfect Dark, Deus Ex, Hitman, or even Thief if you're looknig a more medieval setting, are all games that have the option of going stealth or full bore combat and the gaming styles change depending on how you play. Stealth, you're going to face a lot more 'puzzles' likely and work on your timing. Whereas in full combat, it's a matter of quick reflexes and maybe a bit about cover too.

As was mentioned, the thing with killing people gets everyone madder at you than leaving them alive. Corporations lose money when people die in pensions, insurance and costs of cleaning up not to mention hiring new people. If you leave them alive but wounded, sure there's some healing in the hospital or mage healing, but that is likely less expensive. And if they're not wounded at all because the guards fought smart or didn't fight at all because the runners snuck in, then all the corp lost was whatever was taken.

Whenever I feel like blowing off steam, I reactivate the mercenary campaign and send them on a raid or something. Of course these days it is easier to throw in Call of Duty, Doom or any of the other FPS and not have to worry about all the rules and rolls and just go shooting.

Most of my characters, after I had played for a while, won't use lethal force on Metahumans unless they can avoid it. Then again, there are times like roughing up that annoying street gang lethal force might impress them more, or you just plain want to get rid of them altogether. I've run a few missions like that, sort of Robin Hood, cleaning up the streets for a bit, but also profiteering by stealing guns and equipment from the gangers.

The corporations would have to pay a lot to recruit and train new security men. Training new people is expensive even today, so it pays to try to keep employees around. That's also a good point that by not killing them, you won't have as many people coming after you for revenge. It is also possible that a corporation might allow a team to work off its debt, if captured, by doing a free run for them if they hadn't been leaving a trail of bodies behind them.

Black hat missions for me are generally for gangs, magical threats, bounty missions, and corporations like the Azzies who will hold a grudge anyway.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Drraagh)

Heh, Theif 2 made me laugh because the instruction manual was telling you how it was impossible to take on several guards at once when in fact it was very possible as long as you pumped them full of arrows from a distance instead of trying to fence with them. For a while I was trying to sneak everywhere but eventually I'd just blow all my money on broadhead arrows and go around the map killing all the guards from a distance. I joked with a friend that it should be called "commando" rather than "theif".

Hitman 2 had similar issues. Even though it could be challenging and fun to use disguises and get a "Silent Assassin" rating it was actually a lot easier and more reliable to take some big two handed gun with you and just blow everyone away. This was especially true when you went and visited the country full of cult members. If you tried to be sneaky but were found out it could be disastrous when all the patrolling cult members with .357 magnums all opened fire on you at once. On the other hand if you just went and exterminated all of them preemtively by shooting them in the back of the head you were practically taking control of the level.

I think that Deus Ex was one of the few games where sneaking around and being stealthy actually made things easier instead of just really making things more challenging.

No One Lives Forever 2 was another game where stealth could actually help you since if you were "hidden" bad guys would ignore you. This would essentially let you set up perfect headshots.

Anyway, in my mind, all this potential emphasis you can have in SR3 on nonlethal takedowns is entirely because of how easy it is to simply load your weapons with gel rounds and disable the enemy without killing him just as easily as you would if you were shooting regular rounds. It's not very realistic, though. In real life although you could storm an office building with simunitions and shotguns filled with beanbags and you could potentially beanbag the security guards into submission or into unconsciousness, it wouldn't be nearly as reliable as using actual rounds which are designed to kill people.

I wonder if it would be interesting to run a version of SR3 where the "gel rounds" are treated as simuntions and, although they still inflict stun damage, do a lot less damage. Perhaps their damage code is downgraded by a level, or something similar. Would SR teams still emphasize using nonlethal force, or would they decide to kill more easily? ("Better him than me...") I can see a team using shotguns loaded with beanbags but also carrying 00 shot rounds and backup handguns for emergencies.
Angelone
I seem to remember that nonlethal rounds aren't as effective as regular rounds against any kind of armor. They are certainly less effective than explosive or APDS, which makes them less than ideal, as even Joe Sec-guard has some kind of armor. So you'd be using ammo that isn't as good at taking someone down or going for called shots which isn't ideal for most.

EDIT- I also think the philosophy that using nonlethal means to take down guards means they'll do the same is BS. Who is going to notice in combat that the runners are using gel rounds and to switch to them as well. No they are going to see you shooting their buddies and are going to respond in kind.

As for villains I like those who the players think are friends, whether they were turned, aren't who the players thought they would be, or not being as honest as they could be. Metal Gear Solid has good examples of the last two. Naomi, Liquid Snake impersonating Master, and the Coronel.

Thane36425
The descriptions of Theif 2 and Hitman 2 are basically how you would play a less than lethal game, but using gel rounds, narcojets and magic. If you have to drop a guard, you took aim and dropped with a couple of well placed rounds, then bound and gagged them. Also, unlike those games, you can ambush them and make them surrender. Most guards, when walking their route and finding themselves staring down the barrels of a runner team would surrender rather than draw. Keep in mind the professional rating too: there is a threshold of damage where they will give up, one way or the other.

Its true that gel rounds don't work as well on armor, which is why they are used on the typical sec guard who is probably not outfitted in full combat armor. As I pointed out, when the opposition gets serious, the real bullets start flying. Again, remember the professional rating: those people will have them too and will give up if wounded to a certain degree.

The point is not that the guards will use nonlethals back duing a fight but is more of a strategic plan. No, the guards won't take the time to notice they are being fired at with nonlethals and that they will change to the same loads. Rather it is message to the corporations and the Johnsons that your team is capable of restraint and isn't just a murder machine. Tactically it won't make a difference, but strategically in terms of getting jobs and easing payback from the corps, it would help.
Thane36425
I should also point out that there would be work for boths kinds of teams. Stealthy, restrained teams would be favored for certain kinds of jobs and killers teams for others. There is also no real reason that a team can't switch hats depending on the mission or the target they are against. As I have pointed out, my teams don't use as much restraint against Aztechnology or gangs as they would against others, and they use very little when doing bounty missions like against toxic shaman or other threats.
nezumi
The question of lethal vs. non-lethal force has been hotly debated elsewhere, and I think Kage has made some excellent points why a professional team who wants to stay out of jail will use lethal force. In short, if you use gel rounds, you will be less effective in combat (since armor resists gel rounds and narcojets generally have limited range and take longer to take effect), more likely to leave witnesses (and I don't think the corp will say 'well, we have full descriptions of them, but they were awfully nice, so we'll let them go), and just as likely to get shot and killed in return. As WR pointed out, even though non-lethal methods are available right now, they're almost never used successfully in crime for good reason. If you're at the point where you need to shoot, shoot to kill.

That said, even if you DO choose to somehow hold human life as valuable (you fool you), the fact remains that you are stealing as a profession. Not as a call to some higher meaning, not to stop some wicked group from doing terrible things, but because some guy you met in a seedy bar paid you cash to go and swipe this thing.
Thane36425
In Sr, there are more ways to leave a trail than just physical witnesses. There are all the security cameras (and not just cameras in the compound, by 2070 they will probably be everywhere), DNA from stray flakes of skin, astral signitures, etc. A team can be followed away by spirits or drones.

We don't really have nonlethal analogs to all the options in SR. There are no gel rounds, aside from the ones for shotguns, tranquilizers darts are avaiable but they take minutes to have effect rather than being instant like Narcojet, and of course we don't have magic. Today, most times when weapons are used in crime they are used to intimidation and casualties are rarely inflicted, street level crime being the exception.

If you look at the real crimes that go down with lethal force, like an armored car robbery where the sec men are killed, it is a sensation in the media and the police go all out to catch the attackers. The backstories in SR show much the same thing. If runners pull a bloody job, the press howls about it and Lone Star and the others turn up the heat and the corps will send hit teams after the runners, or hire them through intermediaries to run a suicide mission.

But again, if one group wants to play a bloody campaign, let them. If someone else wants to play a less brual one, let them.

Drraagh
That's the thing with Shadowrun compared to RL. In Shadowrun they have a large number of ways to be non-lethal and most importantly ways to keep yourselves hidden. Disguise kits to disguise your appearance, some magical aid can help there as well. Then you've got the things other than gel rounds, which include knockout gas, splat glue to keep them trapped in place, not to mention that you can just ambush them and then knock them out with the butt of your gun. Again, magic spells can knock these people out as well or just mess with their brains to not think you were there.

And sure, perhaps your group is out there to steal item X from Corp Y for Person Z, but even then, you don't have to become a killer to get what you want. Think of the ninja of Ancient Japan; you didn't know who was a ninja because they were masters of disguise and by the time you saw one, it was too late.

For DNA traces, there's stuff like Sterilze spells and also the fact that if your fake SIN(s) don't link to your DNA, they don't have anything to go on with that. Being seen, has already been covered some, but let's also include some stage acting like has been done in movies (ie: lifts in your shoes to make you look taller, maybe you walk with a limp or talk with a lisp, or maybe you're just a 'specially challenged' custodial engineer). All those things would leave a false description and make it that much harder to track you as well.

So, sure, you left witnesses, but what are they going to say? It was a five foot eight white guy with red hair and a beard. He looked to be about two hundred pounds. In actuallity, your character is five four, one fourty with black hair and no beard. Or, maybe they were focusing somewhere else (movies like Snake Eyes, where what you see isn't exactly what you got), or there was a distraction (I once read a news article about a purse snatching; all that the victim remembered is that the thief was bare naked).
Fix-it

OMG THAT NEW SECURITY GUARD GUY WE JUST HIRED JUST COLAPSED WE NEED A MEDIC

*PBX re-routed*

Decker: "DocWagon Emergency services..."
nezumi
Rather than further derailing this thread, I recommend you search for threads on the topic or make your own. The subject of this thread is horrible villain ideas. The subject of lethality could span pages and pages, and has little to do with villains.
Ravor
Although I haven't had the chance to actually use it yet, I've always been fond of the idea of a serial killer that used BTL chips to make others commit murder/suicide while wearing Simrigs to later 'relive' the experience via BTL.

As an added twist, perhaps both of the victims are equiped with Simrigs whenever possilbe and the 'experience chips' play both BTL tracks at the same time.

Ravor
Also, if/when I run that idea I'll also use the The Serial Murder Resource Center from an old Pyramid Article.

[ Spoiler ]
nezumi
As far as I can tell, the "The Serial Murder Resource Center" by Pyramid Online is a GURPS supplement of some sort by James Cambias. Not that I'm saying it's not useful, I'd love to see it if you dig it up.
Sahandrian
Here's an awful one.

A free spirit with the true name "Schrödinger", and the hidden life power. The subject of the hidden life is a cat, which is kept securely in a small box, in an abandoned building somewhere in the barrens.
Kesslan
Well we could allways 'rescue' little timmy from wells and such you know to be evil.

*Bark Bark!*

What's that Lassie? Timmy fell down a well?

*Bark!*

Lead on!

*Bark Bark Bark!* (Dog runs over to the well with you following)

Hey Timmy you down there?

Timmy: *Sniffle!* Yes! I fell trying to reach the bucket!

Runner: Dont worry Timmy you'll soon be free!

*Runner pulls out silenced pistol, Shoots dog*

Runner:! Help is on the way! *throws the dogs corpse down the well*

Timmy: LASSIE! NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Runner: *Tosses an incidary grenade down the well* Hey Timmy? CATCH!

Timmy: TEH FIRE! I BURRRNNNS! AAAAAAA!!!! *Crispifies*

Runner: *Walks away chuckling evily.*
Angelone
For years I've been trying to think of a feasible way to convert the Puppetmaster from the movies to Shadowrun. The best I could come up with is have spirits or elementals possess the dolls, but that seems kinda off.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
Here's an awful one.

A free spirit with the true name "Schrödinger", and the hidden life power. The subject of the hidden life is a cat, which is kept securely in a small box, in an abandoned building somewhere in the barrens.

Wouldn't that mean that the Spirit is both immune to destruction and destroyed at the same time?
Kesslan
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Sahandrian @ Jan 10 2007, 01:43 AM)
Here's an awful one.

Wouldn't that mean that the Spirit is both immune to destruction and destroyed at the same time?

How would it be destroyed?

Hidden life is kinda like the tales of people becomming immortal by removing their heart. Find and destroy the heart, you kill the immortal. Destroy teh body? It just comes back. You -must- destroy the heart.

The Hidden Life power is pretty much identical to that. The equivilant to the spirit's 'heart' is hidden. You can do waht you want to the spirit but it _WILL_ allways return untill you in this case, do something to fluffy the cat.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Here's an awful one.

Sounds like the ultimate anti-Horror weapon.

As for aful villians... I'm out. Everything I can think up that might be aful is really more like everyday in the Sixth World. smile.gif

However, for a GOOD villian, how about a Lone Star officer who spends a long time and a lot of resources to catch the Runners after they frag over something known to him, but not especially attached. Make this guy like, the dog of their careers, and then make one Run a complete and total set-up designed to frame them, and catch all the stuff on camera. Said officer has them thrown in a SWAT van while bound, gagged and chipjacked, but he dosen't drive them to Hollywood.

No, he drives them out to the middle of the Barrens, and opens the door. By now the Runners should think he's going to bypass judge and jury and go straight to executioner, but what he does is drop their stuff in a big duffel bag, and uncuff them.

His reason? The chase has become more important than the catch and conviction. It's ceased to be important to him that they see the inside of a courtroom or a jailcell; the chase has literally become his life.

Of course, "Pro" or hardcore players, or just plain psychopaths, will just geek him, but good roleplayers will let him walk off to chase them another day.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kesslan)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 10 2007, 04:06 AM)
Here's an awful one.

How would it be destroyed?

Hidden life is kinda like the tales of people becomming immortal by removing their heart. Find and destroy the heart, you kill the immortal. Destroy teh body? It just comes back. You -must- destroy the heart.

The Hidden Life power is pretty much identical to that. The equivilant to the spirit's 'heart' is hidden. You can do waht you want to the spirit but it _WILL_ allways return untill you in this case, do something to fluffy the cat.

The entire point of the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment is that, due to certain quirks about interactions between observer and observed in quantum physics, the cat is simultaneously both alive and dead as long as the box remains sealed. As soon as someone looks into the box one state or another is chosen but the cat remains in limbo between the two states until that time.
Ravor
QUOTE (nezumi)
As far as I can tell, the "The Serial Murder Resource Center" by Pyramid Online is a GURPS supplement of some sort by James Cambias. Not that I'm saying it's not useful, I'd love to see it if you dig it up.

Aye, it's a GURPs article, but it is almost entirely Fluff, and although it is meant for a 'Modern Setting' like many of Pyramid's earilier articles it has cross-over ideas at the end of the article, even though in my opinion it doesn't really need them to be useful.

However, since it is still held in Pyramid's Achieves for subscribers I'm not really comfortable with the legal and ethically issues of sharing the entire article, although the brief description I made in my earilier post basically sums up the article, if I remember correctly it goes into greater detail on the org's history and possible methods...
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Angelone)
For years I've been trying to think of a feasible way to convert the Puppetmaster from the movies to Shadowrun. The best I could come up with is have spirits or elementals possess the dolls, but that seems kinda off.

Perhaps a metamagic variation on voodoun zombie-summoning? I've never seen it myself, so I don't know if that'd work.

As for the Schrödinger's cat idea, I'm fairly certain that an animal under Hidden Life is pretty well immortal itself, so the thought experiment wouldn't carry over like that anyway.

It was more a dumb reference that none of my players would get (I knew at least a few people on here would).

Here's one.

How about a spirit that's trying to play out the plot of a movie in real life, and picks the runners to be it's stars (without informing them, of course). I think this might be along the same lines as that Puppetmaster idea, but but like I said, never saw it. This could go from "normal" to "horror" to "ridiculous" easily.

Normal - Spirit wants to recreate (random example) Reservoir Dogs. Masquerades as the Mr J, hires the runners for the theft, inserts a (possibly mind-controlled) spy. Uses it's powers to set things up to follow the movie.

Horror - Spirit wants to recreate one of the Phantasm movies. Or perhaps Evil Dead. Follow same basic outline as above (spirit hires runners to go somewhere, uses powers to set up the plot). The Phantasm idea would probably require an extremely powerful spirit, though...

Ridiculous - The spirit want to recreate Ace Ventura. I'm not even going to try and think this one out.
Moirdryd
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

The entire point of the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment is that, due to certain quirks about interactions between observer and observed in quantum physics, the cat is simultaneously both alive and dead as long as the box remains sealed. As soon as someone looks into the box one state or another is chosen but the cat remains in limbo between the two states until that time.

I alwyas had a massive problems with those experiments. Namely, no one ever asked the cat what it saw from within the box, for surely the rest of existence had simultaniously ceased to exist while continued to be existing as the cat had not looked out from the box.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012