Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic resistance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kurukami
As written, the adept ability and the edge for Magic Resistance seem to be less than useful, given their cost. An extra die for resistance tests? That's it? When one looks at the edge specifically, there's some text about "not being able to turn it off" and "this counts even against beneficial spells, like Heal" -- but since a character doesn't resist a Healing spell, that entire chain of logic doesn't make much sense.

The way I've seen it played in the campaigns I've taken part in is that yes, it gives the extra die for Spell Resistance for each level -- but it also applies a TN modifier to be affected by magic. Example: a dwarf with a Willpower of 6 and 3 pts. worth of the Magic Resistance edge is attacked with a Stunbolt. The mage's TN to affect the dwarf is 9 rather than 6, due to the effects of the edge.

How do you handle it in your campaigns?
nezumi
I keep it how it is. In a magic poor campaign, or with your average, high powered adept it's not really very useful. However, for people who make Trogdor the Destroyer, and don't have the extra points for willpower, maybe they'll like it. All said and done, it's about equivalent to the flaw listed in the companion.

In regards to applying it, I'd only apply it to tests where I'd normally apply a resistance test. It really isn't worth the trouble and it kinda pisses of the poor adept (with 6 essence magic resistance becomes a burden more than an advantage, since he's one of few people who can fully take advantage of magical healing).
Rev
What does it cost 0.5/point?

I always thought it was rather pathetically weak for the cost and pondered changing it to a t# modification alone, or at least changing the cost to 0.25.

Though dice + t# makes it much like shielding, which is sort of nice.

I would change the flaw to work the same way, or mess with its cost.

There are two ways to do the resisting heal/treat/etc thing.

Firstly you could say that because those spells are voluntary anyone can trivially resist them and a magically resistant (edge/flaw) charachter automatically resists all spells voluntary spells never work on such a charachter.

Alternatively you could just roll resistance dice vs force and subtract whatever sucesses you get from the spell casting sucesses making it more difficult to affect the charachter with beneficial magic.
Sphynx
Another interesting idea is to let Adepts gain SpellDefense. They can't use Sorcery for anything except Astral Combat, so they're already stuck with (Int+Wil)/3 which, even if both are at 6 comes to 4 dice. If you make it a 2-point power, then allow them to gain Shielding via Initiation, then it would be more worthwhile, even if it does cost 1/3rd of their PowerPoints.

Sphynx

PS. It's not a House Rule or anything I've tried, I've just never had anyone take that power, presumably because it's not worth it.
ialdabaoth
That would be a great idea, but I'd make sure to say that it only works on spells targeting *THEM*.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Rev)

What does it cost 0.5/point?

I always thought it was rather pathetically weak for the cost and pondered changing it to a t# modification alone, or at least changing the cost to 0.25.

Actually, I think it costs something like 1 pt/level. Though I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I looked at the physad powers...

Though dice + t# makes it much like shielding, which is sort of nice.

I would change the flaw to work the same way, or mess with its cost.

Much my thought... except that it isn't a flaw. It's supposed to be an edge.

There are two ways to do the resisting heal/treat/etc thing.

Firstly you could say that because those spells are voluntary anyone can trivially resist them and a magically resistant (edge/flaw) charachter automatically resists all spells voluntary spells never work on such a charachter.

Interestingly, though I've seen other spells that specifically say "this can only be cast on a willing target", Heal and Treat don't seem to be under that restriction.

Alternatively you could just roll resistance dice vs force and subtract whatever sucesses you get from the spell casting sucesses making it more difficult to affect the charachter with beneficial magic.

That's a thought. Of course, that means that such a character could never be healed by all those weenies who bought their Heal spells at Force 1, as for example some of the shamans in the campaign I'm in...
Rev
Ah yea your right, they have to work when the target is unconcious afterall. What I said, but only for the spells that really are voluntary. smile.gif The others must work the other way.

Aren't heal and treat limited to healing a number of boxes equal to force or something like that as well?
phelious fogg
Yeppers you can only heal Force Boxes of Damage with the heal and treat spells
Kurukami
I guess I'm out of the loop on healing magicks -- but then, I haven't played a mage in ages. I thought they were still set up as "Heal Moderate Wound", "Heal Deadly Wound", and so forth...
Kanada Ten
I leave the cost the same but allow them to use it at will and apply it to all types of Magical Resistance test (including Engulf, Concealment, Accident, ect).

It might be nice for Critter handlers and Spirit Hunters and makes a nice tie in to Astral Perception. Yeah, it is on the expensive side, but at higher levels it would rule.

Imagine a starting adept with 6 levels of Magic Resistance and Astral Perception (both with geasa to talisman -Holy Cross-) as a spirit hunter. A high Charisma and Willpower is all it would need.
Glyph
Curative health spells require a voluntary target (MITS, pg. 54), so a character with the Magic Resistance Edge is out of luck there. Note that this limitation applies only to the Edge, not the adept power!

I think the power is enough as it is. Mages already have to divide dice between spellcasting, spell defense, and resisting Drain, and they have to cast at a high Force to even make it an even contest when attacking someone with a high resisting Attribute. Magic resistance, whether it is the power or the Edge, tilts those odds considerably. Giving spellcasters a TN penalty would make it overpowered, in my opinion. It is fine now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012