Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Critique
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trigger
Well, I have seen a couple of these and I have commented on a few of them as well, but I decided to stick one of my own characters up here as well and see what you guys think about him. He is a chaos combat/health mage with the mentor spirit of the dark goddess. He is a big believer in the cosmic balance and yin/yang and hence you will se what I have done with him. He takes what he does and he does it well, well I think.

Metatype: Human
Body: 3 (20)
Agility: 3 (20)
Reaction: 4 (30)
Strength: 2 (10)

Charisma: 4 (30)
Intuition: 3 (20)
Logic: 4 (30)
Willpower: 5 (40)

Edge: 4 (20)
Essence: 6
Initiative: 7
Magic: 5 (40)

Qualities:
Magician (15)
Mentor Spirit (5)
Dark Goddess
+2 Combat and Health Spells
  Willpower + Charisma (3) Test to resist escalating a conflict

Mild Addiction (Zen) (+5)
Common Mild Allergy (Milk) (+10)
Spirit Bane (Guidance) (+10)
SINner (+5)
Incompetent (Swimming) (+5)

Active Skills:
Spellcasting 5 (20)
Counterspelling 5 (20)
Summoning 4 (16)
Dodge 3 (12)
Influence Group 2 (20)
Assensing 3 (12)
Perception 3 (12)

Spells: (24)
Shatter
Manabolt
Stunball
Mindprobe
Heal
Increased Reflexes
Levitate
Improved Invisibility

Foci: ( 8 )
Power Focus 2
Combat Counterspelling Focus 3
Health Sustaining Focus 3

Nuyen 22 BP

Contacts: (9)
Fixer 4/1
Talsimonger 2/2

Butterblume
Not much criticism from me.

Incompetence: swimming can get you killed. I considered it for a char of mine, but chickened out wink.gif.

And of course, I would make the char a dwarf, but he wouln't be much better biggrin.gif. I just like those little buggers.
Trigger
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Incompetence: swimming can get you killed. I considered it for a char of mine, but chickened out wink.gif.

I like playing it risky cool.gif wink.gif
Butterblume
QUOTE (Trigger)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Jan 6 2007, 11:28 AM)

I like playing it risky cool.gif wink.gif

Mh, thinking about it, it's probably far less risky for a mage with levitation...
Catharz Godfoot
You might drop a point from Influence and put it in Charisma.
Butterblume
I thought the same - but Trigger is allready at the 200 point maximum.
Catharz Godfoot
I thought the same - but Trigger is allready at the 200 point maximum.

Oops.
In that case, I'd drop Intuition by one, raise Charisma by one, drop Interaction by one, raaise Assensing & Perception by 1 each, and use the remaining 2 BP on contacts or money.
ShadowDragon
Looks pretty polished. I'd probably lower agility 1 and raise body 1. As a mage you don't use agility for a whole lot, but raising body gives you 3 extra damage resistance dice because you can wear an armor jacket. You also might want to get the infiltration skill with some of those 22 BPs reserved for nuyen. At the very least these would be the first two things I'd spend karma on.
Trigger
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Looks pretty polished. I'd probably lower agility 1 and raise body 1. As a mage you don't use agility for a whole lot, but raising body gives you 3 extra damage resistance dice because you can wear an armor jacket. You also might want to get the infiltration skill with some of those 22 BPs reserved for nuyen. At the very least these would be the first two things I'd spend karma on.

19 of that bp are my foci.

And I like my intuition at 3, it helps with both Perception and Assensing and it keeps my Intitiatve up closer to an average 10 then an average 9 when rolled. I might drop my agility by 1 and raise my body by 1 though.
NightRain
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Mh, thinking about it, it's probably far less risky for a mage with levitation...

In any game I ran, I'd be making sure that the mage knew his incompetence with swimming is lead to panic should he find himself dunked in water and having to swim for his life, making his spell rather hard to cast.

It's a cheesy combination otherwise
Trax
Anchored focus to automaticly cast levitation (or flotation) when body is completely submerged. biggrin.gif

However, if you take incompetence in swimming, a phobia of water would match it. It would be natural that if you sink like a rock that you would be terrified of large bodies of water.
Trigger
QUOTE (Trax)
Anchored focus to automaticly cast levitation (or flotation) when body is completely submerged. biggrin.gif

However, if you take incompetence in swimming, a phobia of water would match it. It would be natural that if you sink like a rock that you would be terrified of large bodies of water.

For that I have to know Anchoring before I can attach any sort of spell to the foci.
Glyph
Better off with the Oxygenate spell (breathe underwater) anyways. If I were the sadistic GM, I would stick you in a flooded sewer tunnel.

"My levitate spell automatically activates!"

"Okay, you zip up and bonk your head on the cieling of the tunnel, which is completely submerged just like the rest of it."

vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012