Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does Immunity to Normal Weapons work?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
In House of the Sun, the spirits of the House of the Sun are immune to bullets because the bullets pass through them. But when you're possessed and inhabited, you're also immune to normal weapons. I don't buy the idea that you are suddenly partially incorporeal when you're possessed; that amount of magical energy doesn't exist yet.

I like the idea of a personal energy field. It is so much more AWESOME. Don't you agree?
Austere Emancipator
How about it's a tool encompassing any of a large variety of supernatural attributes, the details of which GMs are quite free to explain or not explain as they find most fitting in any particular situation, of entities that make them highly resistant to weapons depending on the disruption of physical matter for their lethality?
djinni
it's kind of like a puppet, as long as the body is physically there...it moves because the puppetmaster is pulling the strings
NightRain
Exactly as Austere Emancipator says, it covers a variety of options. I mean bullets are unlikely to pass through an earth spirit, and they're unlikely to bounce off of an air spirit, but either way, the spirit isn't going to be much bothered by it smile.gif
Thanee
It's at least Rank 3 on the open-ended AWESOME™ scale. wink.gif

I also wouldn't have it work in one way all the time... just the mechanics are the same, the special effects can vary.

Bye
Thanee
celegar
i think it would be cool if you could think of it as the spirit having some kind of foresight so when it moves your body it can sligly deflect or completely dodge incoming projectiles, like in that matrix movie.
Ranneko
As Autere and Emancipator have said, it works however it is appropriate for the situation.
Cain
I'll also add that if players are abusing this by using spirits as mobile cover, the bullets pass through. vegm.gif
djinni
QUOTE (Cain)
I'll also add that if players are abusing this by using spirits as mobile cover, the bullets pass through. vegm.gif

unless it's an earth elemental, then it makes sense...but make sure the elemental messes up sometimes and block the LOS of the PC using it as cover
Jaid
QUOTE (Cain)

there are rules for taking cover. they are decent, but not all that amazing, really.

applying any other rules to the situation of the characters taking cover does not make an awful lot of sense; it makes little difference whether they are hiding behind a trench with a wall of dirt and stone, or if they are hiding behind a walking wall of dirt and stone, in the end. cover is cover is cover, and ultimately the conjurer is risking the anger of the spirit (for example, if you use a wall as cover, the wall, being non-sentient, doesn't much care if it absorbs a missile shot that was intended for you. likewise for (most) vehicles you might sit inside. on the other hand, that force 6 earth elemental is quite likely to take (at least some) damage from a missile launcher, grenade, various heavy weapons, or even light weapons with the right kind of ammo (stick n shock, or even APDS/ex-ex are both reasonably likely to go through if fired from a decent gun, as are flashbang grenades, and anything the GM houserules to work... for example, pesticides for insect spirits, agent orange for plant spirits, etc).

basically, the summoner is risking spirit bane, imo, if they put spirits at risk by telling them to stand there and take a beating. now, if we're talking about people armed with shotguns and the hacker has forced them into widest choke setting possible with shot loaded, then this won't likely be a problem... but if you're facing stuff that can harm, disrupt, or kill the spirit, then you are imo risking spirit bane status....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012