Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow Run Video game trailer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SinN
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UmfJodR-n7s

Shadowrun the game trailer. Thumbs up? or Down?
WhiskeyMac
Several posts have been made about the game. I think majority is thumbs down.
Kyoto Kid
...too glitzy & "Doom-like", at least judging by the scenes depicted.
ChicagosFinest
I say thumbs down. I doubt the AI will be good and there is to much open space. I dont think SR is really about that.
Kagetenshi
I grew another arm with which to give a third thumb down.

The first death we see is just ugly, and the rest are nothing special. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt and assume the audio is badly distorted in that video. Mostly, though, it looks like everything is happening at about .5 Gs at most—even UT gives me more feeling of gravity than that video.

~J
Thane36425
THey should have made it an RPG not a first person shooter. The designers just took the lazy route.
Demerzel
That's not even close to the trailer. Now don't get me wrong, I don't endorse this product, but that's a sample video sure, but that's not the trailer.

Try:
http://shadowrun.com/gameinfo/videos/trailers.htm

I still don't think I'll buy it.
Vagabond
If I ever get an X-Box360 (which won't be for a while), I may try the SR game just for shits and giggles, but as it stands, it really doesn't look like Shadowrun. It looks like just another shooter.

Why, oh why does everyone think Shadowrun needs a new face? Be it a CCG, an Action Figure game, new edition after new edition.

If they would just stop futzing around with Shadowrun and just make a stable base, the followers will gather. But unless you've been following Shadowrun for at least the better part of a decade, you're going to be confused as hell as to what Shadowrun actually is.

It's a roleplaying game.

Trying to make Shadowrun a shooter is like making a Vietnam movie starring the Care Bears. It just doesn't fit.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time.

This will just be yet another bad idea with the "Shadowrun" label slapped on it and when it fails miserably, then the Company will just say "I guess the Shadowrun label doesn't sell."

No, jackhole, your crappy concept didn't sell. Leave the Shadowrun franchise alone!!!!
Angelone
Definately won't buy it. Can't say much about the game that hasn't been said in other threads, but yeah it should have been an RPG.
Moirdryd
Two words

Oh Dear.....
lorechaser
*shrug*

I guess I'm not bitter and/or elitist enough. The trailer seems very Shadowrun to me, from the PoV of an FPS.

Should it have been an RPG? Maybe. That ship is so sailed it's not even on the horizon.

As an FPS goes, I think it goes a pretty good job of capturing the SR feel.
Kagetenshi
Don't you be dissing the CCG and Duels.

~J
Draug
2012... And, is that guy using teleport? Fie!

Doesn't look like Shadowrun at all. Looks like a team-based FPS in the style of Unreal Tournament, but with a more comic book feel. Should it ever be made as a video game (again), Shadowrun should be an RPG.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Moirdryd)
Two words

Oh Dear.....

your right, two words, wrong on your selection the proper choice was:

bull $#!t

and lorechaser, i'm neither bitter nor an elitist, i just ask that if they take and call a game by the name of another game (even if they're converting styles) then they should stick to the established storyline/game history and make an effort to make things as close to the orriginal game as possible.

DDO is an online FPS, and it is loads closer to D&D of any edition than this is to the shadowrun we all know and love.
d'Ark
Is it meant to cast you as an Urban Brawl player by any chance? That's about the only sensible option I can see for it being an FPS..

Unless they've made something along the lines of Deus Ex, which would fit quite well, really.

But, since I've apparently been living in a cave I've managed to miss most of the news about this, so can someone please fill me in?
Konsaki
The year is 20XX and nature loving elves are playing eco terrorists by trying to capture 'power relics' before the big bad corps do. You have your random selection of guns, but everyone has magic powers that can create 'Trees of life', 'Resurrect' downed players, or cast offensive spells.
The only way to keep a player down is the maim their corpse until it explodes, which prevents that person from being rezzed.

Wait, thats not all, you can teleport through walls too. All of these powers, and more, which arnt in the SR universe.

All in all, sounds like SR to me... If you look through beer goggles while sticking a needle in your arm... sarcastic.gif
nezumi
You're wrong, there are NO offensive spells. You can "summon" creatures (not conjure, and everyone summons the same sort of creature, some weird demon thing), but you cannot directly hurt people with any other forms of magic.

I would agree, if this were an FPS, RPG, sports game, RTS, city builder, weather simulator or fashion design game I wouldn't care (and honestly, most of those would be cool in the SR world), as long as the game is SHADOWRUN. (I would love to play Madden: Urban Brawl!!)

It not being Shadowrun, I don't especially care for it.
BlueRondo
I'd like to see someone post the same video under a different name, then show it to people who don't know what it is. See how many of them can identify it as "Shadowrun."
lorechaser
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 11 2007, 10:42 AM)
The year is 20XX and nature loving elves are playing eco terrorists by trying to capture 'power relics' before the big bad corps do. You have your random selection of guns, but everyone has magic powers that can create 'Trees of life', 'Resurrect' downed players, or cast offensive spells.
The only way to keep a player down is the maim their corpse until it explodes, which prevents that person from being rezzed.

Wait, thats not all, you can teleport through walls too. All of these powers, and more, which arnt in the SR universe.

All in all, sounds like SR to me... If you look through beer goggles while sticking a needle in your arm...  sarcastic.gif

Eh. You can do a short range TP. Which isn't in SR canon, but isn't a huge stretch. It's really Dimension Door, to go all DnD.

If you rez someone, their life becomes tied to yours. I believe you also lose a bit of your maximum health, so it's not like you drop in another quarter (this was last I checked, at least). You are basically sustaining their life force.

It follows in the grand traditional of novels -> movies, movies -> games, etc. If you played the SSI gold box games, even those champions of nostalgia had rules that didn't make sense against the rule books.

But I know this argument has been redone. It mostly comes down in to two different camps: Those willing to accept deviations and give it a chance, and those that feel it's too far off to be allowed to exist.

It plays around with a number of genre conventions, which I think is cool. And if the SR name gets tied to that as "that one FPS that did some funky stuff and had new ideas" then I'm cool with it.

Also, it's set in 2031. They changed the storyline around after people raised an uproar.
PBTHHHHT
One explanation for the 'rez' is that the character might be going down to unconscious and are bleeding to death and the healer manages to cast a 'treat' or 'heal' and managed to bring them back up. Yeah, I know, I know, just throwing a possible excuse for them. The teleport... I have nothing.
Fix-it
Boooooo Hisssss Boooo

wtf, that looked like re-skinned Halo 2.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Vagabond)
Trying to make Shadowrun a shooter is like making a Vietnam movie starring the Care Bears. It just doesn't fit.

actually, I find that more believable.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Vagabond)

You need to watch a movie called "Meet the Feebles". It's not about Vietnam overall, but there is a large flashback scene that takes place there.
And they're not Care Bears, exactly, but they are muppets.
Anyway, it's close enough that it'll still make you feel so very dirty.
Draug
Man, "Meet the Feebles" is ka-waaazy. And I love that flashback scene. Absolutely awesome.

It's also Peter Jackson. wink.gif
Moirdryd
With the programming abilities of today, something that captured the feel and style of Shadowrun in the way it looks and plays would have not been a incredible feat to achieve. What the vid shows is a very nice and smooth looking FPS that may well prove to be rather kick ass when played. But from what the vid shows it is not Shadowrun.

I`m basing this off the following rather simple ideal which is; We all have posted or read threads on here about films or FMV's ect that we just have to say..wow, thats Shadowrun, or at least looks like and feels like it belongs in our lovely Sixth World. Something about the attitude of the characters or the atmosphere of the set or whatever just grabs that part of our mind that works when we are imagining the Shadowrun universe and it Clicks beautifully. The vid for the game simpley does not do that for me or indeed many others who have seen it, it seems.

If it does well and attracts attention, great, the RPG industry always needs the extra interest. But dont be surprised when the console gamers shred Shadowrun (any edit) for not being like the Computer game that shares the name. Or if it flops it could well put people off the RPG who may well have enjoyed it thouroighly and expanded the industry and community.
Drraagh
There's been a number of things converted from one medium to another; look at games like Warhammer or Magic: The Gathering being converted into video games. I'm sure there were critics who were fans of the video game but not the board game or vice versa. You can't please everyone, but you can try to please the majority.

As for the game; FPSes are pretty much all alike in the end. Sure some have shiny new features or cool stories, but that's just to set them apart from the next point and shoot game. So, I could play Halo and call it Shadowrun, or play Max Payne or System Shock or Duke Nukem or pretty much any FPS. I still plan to play Shadowrun, and whether or not it is faithful to the core game behind it doesn't matter as much to me as the fact there's a game out there. What I feel this should prompt, if the game sells well, is for future games in the Shadowrun Genre to be made, and it is possible they'll then have more time to add in extra features because they already have some stuff done.

Like perhaps Shadowrun 2 (whatever they name it), they'll have all races, make cyberware and magic more in line with the books and perhaps have a 'mission' style front end like Battletech/MechWarrior games. It's a stretch at the moment, but still you never know what will happen.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Draug @ Jan 11 2007, 10:02 AM)
2012... And, is that guy using teleport? Fie!

Doesn't look like Shadowrun at all. Looks like a team-based FPS in the style of Unreal Tournament, but with a more comic book feel. Should it ever be made as a video game (again), Shadowrun should be an RPG.

After this piece trash gets released, fat chance of it ever being a video game again. This is just really going to turn people away from ever using the Shadowrun IP again for a videogame. I just don't think this is going to be successful considering the current games out right now, and the ones yet to be released. It's almost as if they were never even trying to compete in the first place.

That official trailer(the second one posted) is rather worthless; it doesn't show any ingame footage, just CGI. That and it is way too cartoony. In a lovable cute care bear kinda way. Oh wait a second, isn't Shadowrun supposed to be gritty and dark. What the heck is up with that music too, they tried to do something tribal but it doesn't fit the mood of what is going in the game at all. I half expected the chracters to begin doing some ritual Kum Ba Yah/hakuna matata dance. Alright, maybe I am speaking a little hyperbole, but that sure isn't Shadowrun.
Draug
I wonder what they are thinking if they think this game - assuming the graphics and play style are as presented - will be able to do when pitted against stuff such as Gears of War, or the upcoming Crysis.

Storyline - inferior
Graphics - inferior
Play style - inferior

It looks like a current-generation, even last-generation team FPS. Will have no appeal to the average gamer, and the SR community is (mostly) already turning from it.
Hocus Pocus
meh, i never liked FPS games too much

no rpg frown.gif
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jan 11 2007, 07:47 PM)
But dont be surprised when the console gamers shred Shadowrun (any edit) for not being like the Computer game that shares the name.

I don't think they'll be the ones doing the shredding.

Could be a clusterfrag if they find their way on to DS and don't know how to behave.

And yeah, really all they had to do was copy Deus Ex, except add magic and better graphics. If they were feeling adventurous, they could have tried implementing a team system by which you directed other members. Hell, they could have copied Baldur's Gate 2 and just added better graphics.

Why is it when companies are lazy, they're always stupid-lazy?

Draug
Same reason shadowrunners hate corporations. The people at the top.

"Ooooh! Established label! Has to sell! Make something cheap! No, don't use that, that kind of game looks so...not action enough! Use THIS! My buddy's uncle's friend's company put some money into it!"

EDIT: "It made a lot of money in 2002!"
NightmareX
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
I'd like to see someone post the same video under a different name, then show it to people who don't know what it is. See how many of them can identify it as "Shadowrun."

I couldn't. Whatever the hell that was, it wasn't SR.
Sphynx
Didn't look like any shadowrun I've been on. O.o
Nemesis
I am waiting for the Street Fighter FPS. I can't wait to relive the action and intensity that made Street Fighter great to begin with. Ooooh and hopefully they'll do a WWE game in FPS. How cool would that be? wobble.gif
Moon-Hawk
Aw, c'mon guys. Look how well Monopoly has done as a FPS. Grand Theft Auto has done great! biggrin.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Eleazar)
It's almost as if they were never even trying to compete in the first place.

To a degree, I don't think they were.

It's the 'flagship game' for a new OS, Vista (it will ONLY run on Vista and XBox 360. I don't know how new 360s are.)

Microsoft knows the vast majority of games won't buy vista as soon as its on shelves. It'll take years before Vista makes up even a significant portion of the gamer market. But they need the PR to show off how good the system is. So why bother blowing a lot of money on a really awesome game like Halo 3 when no one will play it? Instead blow a lot less on a flashy game with some name brand recognition. It'll look good, get some attention, but they don't really expect it to pull in the number of gamers that other games they make would, simply because it won't run on XP.

I don't blame the FASA team for getting stuck in that position. I wouldn't be surprised to hear they were short suited because they're meant to show off the technology more than to make a great game (keep in mind, the graphics for SR aren't done yet, we're just seeing the stand-in sprites right now).

I DO blame the FASA team for thinking 'well, we really aren't any good at making RPGs, or games with RPG elements. We're good at making FPSes though. So we have to make a Shadowrun game, let's just take the Shadowrun title and a few aspects of the game, and mix up magic and technology in a shooting arena.' They COULD have decided to take Shadowrun and extend it to the FPS world. Instead I feel like they took the FPS world and grabbed a few elements of Shadowrun, but took it as an excuse to grab from D&D and whatever other pop culture sources they wanted as well.

Lindt
Oh, its coming to PC? I guess I missed that part. Too bad Crysis and/or Bioshock are going to roll it up in their respective pipes and smoke it. And no one is going to rush out to upgrade their XP Pro system that is Finally nearing rock solid, to an OS thats going to take a year or more to be a good solid platform. Dont get me started on Vistas forced driver compatibility thigie. *facedesk*

The problem is FASA dosent have jack to say about it. MS owns the right to all of the old FASA prosperities to make video games. Mind you I might hold a grudge against them for selling them in the first place, but hey, defunct company, oh well.
Drraagh
FASA stopped making games in 2001, but it still exists as a corporation holding rights to intellectual property, which it licenses out to other publishers.
Moirdryd
Who wants to do a run against Microdeck for their next game?......
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Drraagh)
FASA stopped making games in 2001, but it still exists as a corporation holding rights to intellectual property, which it licenses out to other publishers.

FASA Interactive is owned by Microsoft.

Seperate and different from FASA the RPG-making company.

FASA Interactive held all the rights to the computer and video game versions of FASA properties.

Microsoft therefore owns the rights to the computer games.

QUOTE (Fix-it)
wtf, that looked like re-skinned Halo 2.

I can think of some older FPSes it looks like.
Moirdryd
Who ever said, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything. Had evidently never encountered Shadowrun, That Trailer, and Dumpshock...hehehhehe
Konsaki
They also probably produced the crappiest products around, since with only yesmen around you, you wont know what needs to be fixed...
Moirdryd
I dont know, Crapola Inc did pretty well in Red Dwarf...... *grin*
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jan 12 2007, 07:11 PM)
Who ever said, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything[…]

Was pretty stupid to begin with, and should be ignored.

(Nothing against you, that saying just really annoys me)

~J
Moirdryd
*points to my, hehehehehehe at the end of my post* It was meant as an ironic comparison. *baps the non-irony comprehending yankees j/k*

My personal motto at times could well be

If I dont have anything Nice to say, make sure what I do say makes em` cry. Whats the point in working to half measures??

But then, if you put me in THAT mood you deserve eveything you get

*nods sagely*
Kagetenshi
I got that you weren't being a proponent of the idea. I just needed to attack it anyway, and then decided I needed to make sure it wasn't misinterpreted as being against you.

~J
Moirdryd
The all is forgiven and I shant sell you to my local organ leggers.....
Fix-it
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Didn't look like any shadowrun I've been on. O.o

the FBI's carnivore program thanks you for your admission of guilt. see you at your front door.
underaneonhalo
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Jan 12 2007, 11:16 AM)
Didn't look like any shadowrun I've been on.  O.o

the FBI's carnivore program thanks you for your admission of guilt. see you at your front door.

Oh that's just all kinds on tinfoil hat crazy. Everyone knows the FBI dropped carnivore back in '01 for comercially available software that does the job better. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012