Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Fade to Blood
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Trigger
Monday 17 February 2070, 08:28
Rest for the Weary Shelter, London Barrens

Ashes sighed as his hand relaxed from the grip of the revolver in his coat, his shoulders drooping as he leaned back against the hallway wall leading into the kitchen. Fraggin' wizards, trying to scare the drek out of me today.

Ashes crossed to the chair offered by Chulain, dropping into the seat, the weight of his cyberlimbs causing the chair to creak uneasily under him. "I wonder who has come a calling on Harry...."
Tashio
Monday 17 February 2070, 08:35
Harry's Office

Harry shortly arrives back at his office to find the door ajar. Bob's voice can be heard from within, "Sir, just sit down please, I assure you Mr Dresden will be shortly, he just stepped out for a moment."

As Harry pushed the door open, the voice continued, "See there I told you he'd be right back."

A middle aged man most likely in his early forties is seated on the couch, a rather uncomfortable look upon his face as he stares at Bob, who's currently floating in the middle of the room. He starts to stand then sits down rather quickly, his gaze shifting quickly between Harry then back to Bob.
warrior_allanon
Harry's Office

"I appologize for your wait sir" Harry says walking into the room and hanging up his long coat. "Please, have a seat and tell me what brings you here." Harry pulls an old fashioned note pad and a pencil from the desk and prepares to take notes on what the gentlman has to say.
Tashio
Harry's Office

The gentleman looks up at Harry, "I... i... I'm Sebastian Carmichael, a..and just what is that?" his hand raising to point at Bob who has floated over to his usual spot on the shelf.

He calms down a little and continues, "My daughter is missing, the police can't or won't do anything about it. She's only been gone just over a day, I was hoping you could help. She's 8 years old, long blond hair. She had a red dress with white flowers on and pink bowties in her hair."

Interrupting as Harry begins to reply, "I can't pay you very much, maybe :nuyen:50 a day for a couple days, and about 300 when you find her. "

"Please help me," he quietly sobs, "she's all I have left."
warrior_allanon
Monday 17 February 2070, 08:40
Harry's Office

After listening to the man's tale Harry goes ahead and first explains that Bob the skull is his research assistant and general keeper before he starts asking questions.

"Where was she and what about what time did you realize she went missing, what were her plans for that point of the day, what was her established routine? I'll need a photograph of her and possibly a lock of hair or some other bit that she constantly handled." listening to the responses, Harry also notes down the previous information of looks and clothing.
ErrosCallidus
... a few minutes earlier;
Rest for the Weary Shelter

"Hopefully something or somebody a little more mundane than he's little friend" Sean replied. "It could be somebody who's wondering what their wife tells me in confession. I've seen that happen before."

Sean looks over to the nearly palpable power of Valya's electric blue do. It draws the eye almost irresistably. "Did you need a place to stay?" he asks, "I was curious, how did you meet the ineffable Mr. Dresden? Do you know who he normally associates with? It might give us a clue as to whom he's meeting"
HeySparky

Valya puts the fork down and snorts trying covering up her chagrin. Her eyes go wide when Father Chulain suggests a prank. She stammers, "Winding up magicians isn't high on my list of ways to stay healthy. Begging your pardon, Father."

She looks over in the direction of Harry's office, as if she could see through the walls of the shelter, and then back at the green eyes of the priest. He's not half bad looking, either.

"He stepped out in front of me. Nearly wrecked. I've only known him a minute longer than you. He said something about working with the Yard."
ErrosCallidus

"Guess will put off the jokes till we know him a little better then. Ah, the bobbies eh? Hmmm, that could be interesting..." Sean muses. He trails off distractedly as his mind is visibly drifting somewhere else...

Does he know how I got here? Was he sent to 'investigate' me?!, thinks Sean. His eyes are haunted as he concentrates and remembers: A point of light, a terrible message, the rage, Rage, RAGE, a sudden flash. Purifying FIRE.

He blinks the emerald glow from his eyes and is surprised at the syrofoam coffee cup that has melted in front of him. Small green flames sputter and die as the remaining coffee washes over the ruins of the cup and onto the table. "Oh dear..." he mutters, "better clean that up. Hopefully we'll be off soon." He flashes an embarrased smile at Valya and Ashes then hops up to clean up the goey mess of the cup.
Tashio
Harry's Office

"She was supposed to come home yesterday afternoon, she walks home, the school is just around the corner and its a very safe neighbourhood. She never came home, we were at the police from last night, they said 24 hours. She's only 8. We've called all her friends."

He scrounges around in a bag, withdrawning a small photo, "This photo was taken late last year, I did not think to bring anything. I guess I could bring her teddybear, she sleeps with it every night."
warrior_allanon
Harry's Office

"Sir, I would like the teddy bear, but mostly so she knows that you sent me." Harry said taking the photo. "Now, if you'll just give me the address of the school and a com number where i can reach you when i find her, then we'll be all set."
Tashio
Monday 17 February 2070, 08:42
Harry's Office

He took out his wallet, fiddling around inside it till he found what he was looking for. Holding out a 50 note he said, "Well here is money for today if you can start right away, I'll get the bear to you as soon as I can, will be a couple hours though before I can get back."

He scribbles down an address on the back of a piece of paper and hands it across, along with a contact phone number.

Getting up to leave he extends his hand, "I hope you find her soon, please."

With a brief look across at where Bob sat on the mantle he departed pulling the door closed behind him.
warrior_allanon
Monday 17 February 2070, 08:42
Harry's Office

Taking his new clients hand and shaking it firmly Harry answered the clients implied question. "Just leave the bear here, Bob rarely leaves the office, its one of the reasons its good to have a spirit as an assistant and partner." Harry then walks the man to the door and then after closing the door, turns and leans against it.

"Drek Bob, you could have told me it was a client and not one of the council, or worse one of the wardens. I swear i was on pins and needles then entire walk back over." Walking back over to the desk Harry roots around in it a minute before pulling out an almost brand new romance novel. "Alright Bob, if you would please let me know when the client shows back up with the bloody bear, and when you do so, use your human form and not the blasted skeleton king. I swear you almost gave the people across at the shelter a heart attack when you appeared as that headless skeleton thing."
ErrosCallidus
Monday 17 February 2070, 0845

The brown smears of spilled and magically burned coffee have been drying in front of Sean for about 10 minutes. The massive stack of dishes has been shrinking visibly and an end to the scrubbing is in sight. tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap....Most of the overnighters have taken off and their mats and sleeping gear stashed in the side room to be claimed when they return in the evening. tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.....The mom's and kids from the streets are starting to come in for the assistance programs that run during the day. tap tap..... Kids are tumbling colorfully and noisily towards the pile of broken toys on a mat in the corner. tap tap tap tap tap tap... They're pulling on each others dirty clothes to get the best of the rejected bikes, blocks and other less identifiable bits. at least they're smiling... tap tap tap...muses Sean. The mothers start spicketing coffee and juice for themselves and mixing formula and or lowering blouses and shirts for the babies in the bunch. All while chattering away in a half dozen different accents and at least two dialects unidentifieable to Sean. tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap...

While watching the day start... Sean's knee has been trying to jump start the rest of his body by bouncing up and down nearly incessantly. He's not used to just sitting when there's soo much to do!

He finally can't take it any more and looks at Valya "Do you know where Harry's office is? Let's go see what's taking so long." He stands up as if to leave before he's halfway through his question.
HeySparky
Monday 17 February 2070, 0846

Valya is leaned back in her chair, AR windows of tourist sites scattered all over her vision. She shoves her goggles back up onto her forehead, "I don't know, Father. I ran into him across the street. Probably there, but I can't say."

She shrugs and stands up, popping the board up into her hand with practiced ease. "After you, Father. You comin'?" She directs the last at the gloomy young man with the cavorting drone at its feet.

Trigger
Monday February 2070, 08:46

Ashes looks up from the feeds he had been scanning on magic and its effects on people. He pushed the screen off to the side of his vision with a thought and scans Chulain and Valya over for a second before answering.

"Yeah, sure. Let's go see what bloke is up to, making us wait like this."

He rises to his feet, his left leg making a slight creak as the cybernetics go to work. Cinder springs back to life at his feet, the drone had fallen into a facade of sleeping at Ashes' feet while the elf browsed the 'Trix.
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0847
Street just outside Rest for the Weary Shelter, London Barrens

Sean crosses the shelter and heads out the front door. He leaves it open for the others and moves a couple steps out onto the sidewalk.

Trying to look through the morning mists is just short of an excercise in futility.
"Which one was it again? All those buildings look the same in this blasted fog. I can't see a thing." Seans question floats on the fog back towards Ashes and Valya.
warrior_allanon
17 February 2070, 0847
Street just outside Harry's office, London Barrens

After talking to Bob for a couple more minutes, mostly chewing his metaphysical hoop, Harry stepped off the stoop of the office/apartment building and walked back toward the shelter. Seeing the priest along with the two others he waves to them and gestures them over.
Tashio
17 February 2070, 08:47

As Harry leave his office, the destinct feeling had Bob a tongue it would be stuck out as far as it could.

The early morning fog, continued to swirl and twist, obcuring vision beyond a few meters. A faint breeze blew with the promise of clearing the abysmal mess. That promise soon shattered as icy cold drops of rain began to fall.
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0847
Street Just outside Harry's Office, London Barrens

After a few seconds, Chulain barely makes out Harry's long coat and an arm beckoning them across the street. He glances left and right both making sure Ashes and Valya are behind him and checking for traffic before starting across the street. He's about halfway across when the rain starts. Wonderful, what ELSE is going to go wrong this morning? he thinks disappointedly.

Once across the street he approaches Harry and asks, "Everything alright? We decided to come look for you when you took so long. Hope you don't mind."
HeySparky
17 February 2070, 0848
Street Just outside Harry's Office, London Barrens

Valya interrupts, oblivous to Harry's thoughtful expression, "So, I got some ideas for the tour. You lot ready? Or do you need an hour to digest your breakfast."
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0848

"Oh, right." Sean turns up the collar on his jacket then looks at Valya. "Lean on!" he cries dramatically, though his enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by the water dripping in his face.
warrior_allanon
"Well, plans unfortunately have changed and sight-seeing is going to have to wait." Harry says as they all stepped up to him. "The skeleton king act was my partner an air spirit called Bob, and apparently someone needs me to find their missing child. Father, has anyone showed up in the past day with this child with them?" Harry holds out the picture so the others can see.
Tashio
[ Spoiler ]
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0850

Sean stood remembering in the rain. His face slowly draws down into a worried frown. Finally he shakes his head and says, "I don't remember seeing her in the shelter anytime soon. Where and when was she last seen?"
warrior_allanon
Harry put the picture away in his pocket and shrugged in his coat, "Her father said that she had gone to school, that they realized she was missing when she wasnt home when he got there. So the first place to check would be the school and see if she made it or not."
ErrosCallidus
Sean looks at Ashes and Valya.

"What is it you kids say? 'Let's slot and run?' If we're not sightseeing I've got nothing else to do and I am interested in seeing you work Mr. Dresden. Which way is it?" He pulls his jacket up a little more snugly around his neck and gets ready to pound pavement.
HeySparky
17 February 2070, 0851

Valya looks at the picture and shrugs, "Cute kid. Don't know her." Harry's demeanor has changed. She looks at him closely.

She grins lopsidedly at Father Chulain, "Sure. Long as Harry's paying, I'll take him to see what ever he wants." She looks at the picture again, "What school?"
warrior_allanon
"You know, he didnt say which school, he did give an address though." Harry reads off the address, "Now i'm not sure if thats his home or the school's address, but he also said the school was right around the corner so it cant be to far from this place. So lets get moving." With that Harry gestures to Valya to lead the way.
Tashio
Valya after taking a quick look at the address you realise you'r going to need a ride, its probably a good 15 to 20 km's to the school. Though with morning traffic you wonder if walking might just be faster, the pouring rain does little to encourage that train of thought.
HeySparky
17 February 2070, 0852

"Cor. This is far to go for peds." She looks up at the sky, blinking. "And you'll get soaked. Whatever you please. It's your cred." She looks between Harry and Father Chulain.
warrior_allanon
"Your city Valya, get us a cab" Harry replied pinching the bridge of his nose.
HeySparky
17 February 2070, 0905
Busy Street, Edge of the London Barrens

"Cabbies don't make a habit of picking up fares here. Let's go." She leads the group on a brisk walk to a larger street in a busier part of town. A red-light district that oozes all varieties of smut onto the PANs of the folks around. Valya's commlink is locked up tight, with only a narrow band of 'permission-only' access. Permission she's given to her aunt, uncle, brother and - now - Harry, Ashes and Father Chulain.

<[Valya]: Hailing a cab now. Harry... wire me some cred to pay.> She does the arithmetic based on the info available in the sites that pop up at streetcorners for the various transport outlets. She sends the detective a dialogue window to accept or deny the charge.

Soon a cab pulls up and the four are packed in as the cab pulls away from the curb and heads to their destination. The cabbie is telepresent and reminds the passengers through a holoprojection to fasten their seatbelts. In the AR a 'tourguide' option pops up that will tag surrounding buildings and places of interest with accessible, interactive nodes. For a nominal fee. Valya looks at Harry and grins, "It's your cred."

I'd be there and back by now...
warrior_allanon
Harry hands valya a certified credstick with 200nuyen on it. Since him and electronics dont get along he usually keeps what he has to a minimum. "No extra stuff Valya, just get us there so we can ask questions."
Tashio
A short unenhanced cab ride later the four are deposited at one of the local primary school. Lights shine brightly in the classrooms as the wet playgrounds remain empty.

Elsley Primary School, is a well established yet small school situated in Wembley.
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0905
Elsley Primary School yard, Wembly

"Uh... shouldn't there be kids here?" asks Sean. He looks nervously around before continuing. "It is a Monday right?"
warrior_allanon
17 February 2070, 0905

"I would think so, though i would think they would all be inside with this weather dont you." Harry said walking toward the main door. "I think we should see the headmaster and find out if the child showed up for school and if anything odd happened that day if she did."
HeySparky
17 February 2070, 0906

Valya enjoys the cab ride. It's not her first one, but it's definitely a rarity in her life. She flips the credstick back to Harry after paying for the cab. The step out onto the pavement, hunkering under the shelter of a bus stop awning. Valya holds her plank over her head to keep the rain off, "I'll get creamed if they see me around here. Kids my age around here are usually just pushing."

She sidles up to Harry, "Lemme get a look at that snap again, I'll see if I can find anyone around the neighborhood who might'a seen her."

warrior_allanon
17 February 2070, 0906

"Good idea Valya, meet back here when we're done." Harry says as he hands the picture to Valya until she is done looking at it, then proceeds towards the door of the school.

HeySparky
17 February 2070, 0907

Hell yeah, it's a good idea. Valya stores the snap through her goggles and routes it to the holoprojectors on her wristcomm. She chucks the plank onto the ground, smartwheels catching it immediately, whirring as they correct. The plank settles gradually into 'neutral.' Valya tugs an armored glove off of her right hand and holds out the slim, pale hand, palm up. The little girl's ghostly image hovers shattering and reforming as drops of rain fall through refracting the light from the tiny projectors. A few tweaks and the image is looking more opaque. The courier snaps her hand shut and the image winks away. She pops a few of the holostuds free from her comm and snaps them onto the inside wristband of her right hand glove. Putting the glove back on she looks at Harry.

"Right then. Where'd she live and what's she called?" Valya nods and takes off away from the school in the direction of the girl's house. She flashes a grin at Ashes and Father Chulain.
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0907

Sean waves at Valya as she takes off. "Let's go find this headmaster fellow then," he says and heads for the door. As he's moving he asks Ashes "Can you find anything about the school on your Matrix thingy?"
Tashio
17 February 2070, 0907

You enter through the large front doors of the school building. A clearled marked reception area is to the right, it appears to be currently abandoned but the obligitory bell adorns the counter top, an old style brass one with a tap button on the top. The foyer is well lit and seems a cosy rest away from the pouring rain.

Three Blocks from the School

Valya, you find the complex in question about three blocks from the school. It seems to be one of the older buildings in the area, though well maintained. Each house has its own enterance onto the street, a driveway with a gate does lead around to the back. There is a fair amount of car traffic in the area but the rain seems to have chased any casual food traffic away, most people by now are at work.
ErrosCallidus
17 February 2070, 0907

Sean looks at Harry, "I'll keep my eyes open, but I think you're the one to do the talking. It's your case after all." He then dings the bell.
warrior_allanon
"Agreed," Harry said nodding and then when the person stepped up to the window. "My name is Harry Dresden, I'm a Private investigator looking into the disapearance of a young female student here, could i speak to the head of the school for a few minutes please."
Tashio
An elderly lady appears at the bells summons, dressed in something from the 50's.... the 1950's. A puzzled look crosses her face. "I'm sorry Sir, but I've heard no news of a missing student. Let me have a quick word with the headmistress."
warrior_allanon
"As you wish madame," Harry responds politely waiting for the lady's return.
Tashio
The elderly lady disappears into the back returning shortly, she escorts you through to the headmistresses office. The woman greets you warmly but a faint look of confusion seems to be resting upon her face.

"I assume this is regarding Lisa Carmichael. To be honest I was expecting the police not an investigator."

She motions to the chairs and couch in the room, "Please take a seat."

Sitting behind her desk she continues, "Mr Carmichael contacted myself last evening questioning the whereabouts of his daughter. As I informed him, she left shortly after school, she has walked home most afternoons since she started, she is dropped off in the mornings."
warrior_allanon
Harry follows the lady to the headmistress's office and exchanges initial pleasentries with the headmistress, "Yes maam thats why i'm here, and the reason is that the police seem to be passing it off for the time being and Mr. Carmichael is very concerned."

Taking a seat Harry continued, "Yes maam i understand that, i only came here to ensure that she had spent the entire day at school and didnt go missing till the end of the day. If you could give me the Carmicheal's address, i plan on trying to trace the young lady's steps and figure out where she was taken from and then from that who might have taken her where."
Tashio
"She was here the entire day. According to her form teacher she left at her usual time around 2pm yesterday afternoon. Unfortunatly there is a little more I can add that might help. She's always been a quiet girl keeping mostly to herself, rather few friends."

She looks down at her desk then back up.
warrior_allanon
"Madam, is there something wrong?" Harry asked seeing the look of confusion on her face. "You seem to be trying to remember something that might perhaps be important."
Tashio
"What... oh! Yes... Lisa had a friend she sometimes walked home with Marie, she might have something that might help. I can call her if you would like to speak with her."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012