Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun soundtrack?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bashfull
Hmmm, two threads, both about music...

When I've run other games (yes, I admit I've been unfaithful) I've always worked hard at creating atmosphere by finding the right music to play in the background. It can't be too intrusive, because then it detracts from rather than adds to the game. When I ran 1st/2nd edition, my favourite track was a Cure cover of Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze: I used to play it when the runners were meeting Johnson in Dante's Inferno (although it was tempting to use Voodoo Chilli).

So, here's a fun project for musos out there. Create a perfect tracklist for a Shadowrun games evening. Stick in some "Sacred Spirit" for those tribal moments, maybe, or some prog rock for matrix moments. What do people think?
Sir_Psycho
Usually it just distracts already easily distractable players. >_>

We had a running joke of whenever there was a sudden combat, "roll initiative!" and we'd chuck on First It Giveth by Queens of the Stone Age. But really it doesn't turn out too well, as combat takes about fifteen minutes.
Sticks
A bit of Rammstein always goes well for the firefight and autochase scenes wobble.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Bashfull)
... although it was tempting to use Voodoo Chilli ..

Is this some Tex-Mex version of Hendrix?
Kagetenshi
White noise fading into pink noise fading into white noise, at random intervals generally in the 5-20 minute range.

~J
Muzzaro
Spice Girls. Nothing helps to bring the frustrations of trying to short the controls on a door, with the sprinklers going off, and guards pumping rounds into your general direction, like "If you wanna be my lover..."
Jeremiah Legacy
QUOTE (Muzzaro)
Spice Girls. Nothing helps to bring the frustrations of trying to short the controls on a door, with the sprinklers going off, and guards pumping rounds into your general direction, like "If you wanna be my lover..."

Or even better, the Offspring's cover of that song.
ChronoGib
If you can find it, I think the Prince of Persia: Warrior Within soundtrack does a great job of setting the right atmosphere for ShadowRun. At least in anticipation of and for fights.
SL James
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Bashfull @ Jan 15 2007, 09:08 AM)
... although it was tempting to use Voodoo Chilli ..

Is this some Tex-Mex version of Hendrix?

That's a horrible, horrible joke.
Bashfull
If I recall correctly, that was the joke. The original Seattle sourcebook had a restaurant called Voodoo Chilli. It is a pun on Voodoo Chile.
hyzmarca
Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper is perfect for any life threatening situation to really mess with your player's minds.
Glyph
Culture Club's "Do you really want to hurt me?" whenever the PCs are preparing to interrogate someone. Or if a PC is about to get lucky, "The Crying Game".
TheUrbanMonkey
I use a randomized playlist with Combichrist, icon of Coil, 16 Volt, Spahn Ranch, Slick idiot, selected tracks from Evanescence, KMFDM, MDFMK, Orgy, PIG, Rosetta Stone, some recent Sigue Sigue Sputnik tacks, Razed in Black, and Shining.

my players really seem to like it.
WhiskeyMac
Play Bad Moon On the Rise by Creedence Clearwater Revival when you start the run. That should set the proper tone smile.gif. Play Behind Blue Eyes by The Who when the runners meet the Johnson. Play The Lotion Song by The Greenskeepers when the runners get caught (think Silence of the Lambs biggrin.gif). Play Disco Science by Mirwais for when the runners are escaping from Lone Star or corpsec (think the rabbit scene in Snatch). I'd also recommend any of the Metropolis CDs. They provide a good mix of industrial style music that could fit most shadowruns.
Kagetenshi
Play Stuck in the Middle With You whenever the runners are interrogating a Lone Star officer or other corporate security or law enforcement.

~J
SL James
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 15 2007, 02:30 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper is perfect for any life threatening situation to really mess with your player's minds.

We need more cowbell.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Play Stuck in the Middle With You whenever the runners are interrogating a Lone Star officer or other corporate security or law enforcement.

Jesus fucking Christ dude.

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Play Bad Moon On the Rise by Creedence Clearwater Revival when you start the run. That should set the proper tone smile.gif. Play Behind Blue Eyes by The Who when the runners meet the Johnson. Play The Lotion Song by The Greenskeepers when the runners get caught (think Silence of the Lambs biggrin.gif). Play Disco Science by Mirwais for when the runners are escaping from Lone Star or corpsec (think the rabbit scene in Snatch). I'd also recommend any of the Metropolis CDs. They provide a good mix of industrial style music that could fit most shadowruns.

I'm going to have to say... No.

Bad Moon Rising is what you play shortly before your PCs drive into a dumpster.
Moirdryd
Almost anything by Evanessence played on a soft volume generally works as a backflow without much need to switch tracks ect.
SL James
Egghhuhu

Oh, sorry. I just vomited in my mouth a little.
Kagetenshi
Oh come on, they're not that *hork*

I mean, they're not—*hork, hack*

They're—*hic, haec, hoc*

Never mind.

~J
Kyoto Kid
...I bring actual music into play very sparingly and only for key scenes. For one Decker club I used a little Larry Fast form the Synergy Series for a bit of ambiance. For one scene in a small underground Bistro in Vienna, I used Mingus & Billie Holladay. When the team was in this installation looking for their extraction target, I put on some Chopin Piano music (which the NPC was playing) very quietly and as they neared or strayed away from the room I adjusted the volume accordingly.
Lindt
Yes, yes K, they really are. And its not sad that I totally envisioned a cat hacking up a hairball.

I love using SFX for select games that I want to 'take to the next level', but it all depends on the game. Doing it too often takes... not only too much work but it cheapens the thrill when it comes together correctly. KMFDM to Chopan, Tool, and even a select few seconds from My Chemical Romance.

Yes, I had to scrub with bleach after that last one.
Kagetenshi
Whitehouse—Why You Never Became a Dancer.

Also, the Silent Hill 1 soundtrack. Except for the opening, which is too recognizable (though awesome), and the opera. I don't know what the opera's doing there.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Deus Ex soundtrack. Duh.
SuperFly
Guess there is no love for the 2 official Shadowrun Soundtrack albums. =P

Figures...Those albums were mediocre at best.
ChronoGib
QUOTE (SuperFly)
Guess there is no love for the 2 official Shadowrun Soundtrack albums. =P

You imply anyone can even FIND an official Shadowrun soundtrack.
Kagetenshi
I disagree—the Alex Cremers one at least was pretty solid.

~J
Bashfull
There is an official SR soundtrack? Is it from the PS game? Or is it an indy CD? How bad is it? I'd give it a spin.
SL James
It's a CD that was sold at cons (Gencon, specifically, that I know of) by FASA.
Crakkerjakk
Suprised I'm the only one that thinks this, but then again, I seem to be the only person I know that RPGs and can tolerate this type of music. If your runner team is even a little gutter punk, from the barrens, or basically playing captain badass, Tupac is hard to beat. Played somewhat quietly in the background, it has some good beats, anti-authority overtones, and undertones of desperation, all of which mesh nicely with a shadowrun game. Finding anyone who doesn't immediately say, "ewwww, rap," however, is significantly more difficult.
Kagetenshi
We allow no Shedim music here.

~J
Trigger
My current favorite music for running (as I have been running a bit more magical campaigns with more astral and metaplanar aspects) has been Radiohead. Some of their stuff has some nice eerie undertones and beats that work very well for those kinds of scenes. Treefingers (from the Kid A album) is a definite.

Also Massive Attack is very good for some settings, and I too have used My Chemical Romance on rare occasions.
Kenshi
I actually bought the Alex Cremers Shadowrun Soundtrack from the FASA website right before they folded (rest in peace). I think it's a very solid album. Very moody and ambient.
Draug
It really depends on the situation.

Most of the time though, I go with ambient stuff, and computer game soundtracks. Most other stuff is too unstable (movie scores, classical) or have lyrics that detract from the focus.
Trigger
Yes, many a time my collection of music from Final Fantasy soundtracks and various other soundtracks find a way into my games and they fit very well with the game.

My Final Fantasy VII soundtrack has come into play more times than I can count....doing something Shaman-y, use the Cosmo Canyon theme...Need a Corp Loyalty Track? The theme from Junon Harbor works wonders....Someone tripping on drugs the good way? The chocobo racing song...The Bad Way? Jenova's theme is good for that trip..., and the Turks theme is good if you want your players to feel like Badass Mofos...and Running from that Wizworm had to get an 'exotic' reagent from? The Final Battle song is great.
Mahoutsukai
QUOTE (TheUrbanMonkey)
I use a randomized playlist with Combichrist, icon of Coil, 16 Volt, Spahn Ranch,  Slick idiot, selected tracks from Evanescence, KMFDM, MDFMK, Orgy, PIG, Rosetta Stone, some recent Sigue Sigue Sputnik tacks, Razed in Black, and Shining.
my players really seem to like it.

thats the best list i've seen yet, cept for the evenescence. to commercial for me. industrial in general is just plan suited for the shadowrun universe. also add das ich, d.a.f., and one, velvet acid christ, suicide commando, vnv nation, funker vogt, hocico, die krupps, nitzer ebb, assemblage 23, front 242, terminal choice.
Thain
Here's what I use most weekends:

Soundtracks
Ghost In The Shell: Original Soundtrack
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex O.S.T
Equilibrium Original Soundtrack
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai Soundtrack
Smokin' Aces Soundtrack
Hunt for Red October Soundtrack

Bands/Musicians
Rammstein
Metallica
Apocalyptica
The Clash
The Doors
5 6 7 8's
Red Elvises
Johnny Cash

JongWK
Yoshida Brothers, for your Japanacorp musical needs.
Bashfull
Kenshi, can you be e-mailed?
Telion
For those decking runs, the "Hackers" soundtrack cause I mean its the most realistic hacking movie ever right?

in all seriousness, Iron Maiden on loop creates an epic feel.

Or Geto Boys "Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta" for those times you want boost your runners egos a little too far
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012