Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Than One!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nix1261
Our group always chalks it up to uninformed artists, but how many wires could you really have coming out of your head? I think RCDs and Smartlinks have specific locations for their headware. So what would you need to look like one of the guys with several datajacks in their head (ex. Pg 21 SSS or 243 Basic - For an extreme example)?

Is there any possible cannon reason you need more than one datajack, let alone 5-10?

'Nix cyber.gif
Kanada Ten
I don't think most jacks will be in the head personally. The jack location is irrelevant for all things though canon has ASIST jacks in the temple and VCR jacks in the rear of the upper neck for the common locations.

I can supply a reason, but it is more for cool factor than anything.
    1 datajack for p'sec interface.
    1 datajack for RCD interface.
    1 datajack for skillwires (using jukebox).
    1 open datajack for separate VCR interface (rigging something you don't own while maintaining an RCD network -think security rigging).
    1 datajack for Smartlink (why? had the jack first I guess and ran out of essence).
    1 datajack for misc. external devices.

I usually go with two induction pad datajacks in the hand and strap converters to one to use with a computer (which runs a transducer, commlink, ect) while using the other for Smartlink or device interface (usually exclusive activities anyway.

Multi-slot chip jacks make sense for those who use Knowsofts, Langsofts, and Skillsofts.
El_Machinae
Dammit, this was easily the toughest post title to NOT click ...
kenji
well, keeping it in the realm of the hypothetical, how large does the wire need to be? it's a data wire, so not a lot of power needed, heck, it should be some more-resilient optical transport, and then, it just needs to be wide enough for light.
and from there, how large should a headjack socket be? i'd say, just large enough to find by feel and familiarity, which is probably pretty damn small. on the order of ~7.5-10mm outer diameter, as an offhand bs-number? or maybe that's a subtle-version number. and the proud-chrome types have a larger socket, that's all shiny? maybe even etched nicely? smile.gif mmm, etched shiny.

and as far as plug locations go: i'd chalk short-path plugs (headstuff in head, handstuff in hand) up to engineering practicality. longer wire path, especially through moving, nicely trauma attracting parts like arms, means more opportunity for breakage. and nobody likes having to go under the knife cause thier handjack shorted at the elbow.

in fact, i wonder how often that happens to smartlink-toting sammies? do the link wires follow nerve pathings? (in which case, do smartlinks promote carpal tunnel?) but then, we're back at the technical details which could be a mistake to pin down. ah, the SF dilemma. nyahnyah.gif
Liquid_Obsidian
Main reason :

Your are 350 kg of walking death (cyber.gif) and you want people to know it , what's more cyber than a pair of cyberarms , cyber vision and a rack of jacks on you temple ?
kenji
QUOTE (Liquid_Obsidian)
You are 350 kg of walking death

holy jeezus thats a lot of cyberware. you're one of the proud-to-be-metal types, aren't ya? must be a real ladykiller at the clubs.

wanna go swimming, chromey?
biggrin.gif
Liquid_Obsidian
Hey kenji , this is no IC (yet) but i'm not this kinda ppl but there's some in games i run ... it's quite sym(pathetic) to see some fraggers that would better try to lay the coke machine than the waitress...
Kagetenshi
"And even if his bodyguard has a cyborg body, the two of them together wouldn't weigh over a thousand pounds, right?"
"Ah, you checked the pressure gauges!"

~J
Siege
Given the title of this thread, it was only a matter of time until sex came up. Ahem.

-Siege
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
"And even if his bodyguard has a cyborg body, the two of them together wouldn't weigh over a thousand pounds, right?"
"Ah, you checked the pressure gauges!"

~J

Quality film, maybe the best manga i've seen. Best best writer anyhow.
Athenor
TBH, the artists have begun to standardize, if you notice. It is getting rarer (although it is still seen) to have more than one plug in the head at a time.

By game rules, there should be, on average, 4 plugs coming out of your head.

Plug #1: A datajack. This should be placed near the frontal lobe of the brain, for fastest DNI transfers. It can be in other places, of course, depending on concealment and attractiveness features, but as datajacks are pretty much the social standard... *Shrugs*

Plugs #2-4: The VCR. The VCR, by all accounts, is a cybernetic cluster that wraps around the top of the spinal column, where the cord enters the brain. It taps directly into the "lower" brain, where motor reflexes and sensory processing is done. It also has links to the balance control areas of the brain. That is why the VCR costs so damn much -- it is tying into a large chunk of the brain. The 3 plugs are for the 3 simsense channels (whose names escape me). These can either be tied into a rigger adaptation module for a vehicle, or into an RCD (usually worn on the back or on the belt).

The big trick, and why you need 4, is that these two devices don't like crossing. Your frontal lobe isn't the best at controlling reflexes and body movement, and the lower brain can't handle higher sensory input and mental tasks that dictate the matrix. Also, because the datajack is a single line of data, it makes it extremely less effective in vehicle operations -- necessitating the "virtual dashboard", or not being able to use more than captain's chair mode with the RCD. It is really just a case of 2 pieces of cyberware with different designs.

Now, when you start seeing 4, 6, or whatever datajacks plugged into the frontal lobe, it starts getting insane, or an asthetic choice. I think there is a passage in Matrix on if that affects the rules or not, but I do not believe so. There is also the possibility of needing a plug for your skillsofts and such (if you do not use your datajack), and of course if you have a partially-cybernetic smartlink system... But in general, that still shouldn't bring you above 4...

Athenor
TinkerGnome
There is no rule present that gives a penalty for using a datajack which controls your VCR for other things. Except for a small penalty when decking which can be avoided by simply turning the VCR off with a reflex trigger.

[edit] Fixed my engrish. [/edit]
Athenor
Um... both the character-specific chapters of Matrix and Rigger 3 give penalties to crossing VCR's and datajacks... they are ususally the 2nd or 3rd chapters... Again, at school, can't give specifics, but there are negatives.

Athenor
Kurukami
QUOTE (Athenor)
TBH, the artists have begun to standardize, if you notice. It is getting rarer (although it is still seen) to have more than one plug in the head at a time.

By game rules, there should be, on average, 4 plugs coming out of your head.

Plug #1: A datajack. This should be placed near the frontal lobe of the brain, for fastest DNI transfers. It can be in other places, of course, depending on concealment and attractiveness features, but as datajacks are pretty much the social standard... *Shrugs*

Plugs #2-4: The VCR. The VCR, by all accounts, is a cybernetic cluster that wraps around the top of the spinal column, where the cord enters the brain. It taps directly into the "lower" brain, where motor reflexes and sensory processing is done. It also has links to the balance control areas of the brain. That is why the VCR costs so damn much -- it is tying into a large chunk of the brain. The 3 plugs are for the 3 simsense channels (whose names escape me). These can either be tied into a rigger adaptation module for a vehicle, or into an RCD (usually worn on the back or on the belt).

The big trick, and why you need 4, is that these two devices don't like crossing. Your frontal lobe isn't the best at controlling reflexes and body movement, and the lower brain can't handle higher sensory input and mental tasks that dictate the matrix. Also, because the datajack is a single line of data, it makes it extremely less effective in vehicle operations -- necessitating the "virtual dashboard", or not being able to use more than captain's chair mode with the RCD. It is really just a case of 2 pieces of cyberware with different designs.

Now, when you start seeing 4, 6, or whatever datajacks plugged into the frontal lobe, it starts getting insane, or an asthetic choice. I think there is a passage in Matrix on if that affects the rules or not, but I do not believe so. There is also the possibility of needing a plug for your skillsofts and such (if you do not use your datajack), and of course if you have a partially-cybernetic smartlink system... But in general, that still shouldn't bring you above 4...

Athenor

Um... since when do you need more than one datajack for your VCR? As far as I've read, there's no need to put in additional jacks for the three simsense "channels". That strikes me as being akin to saying that you need five datajacks just to properly experience a simchip -- one each for sight, sound, taste, smell, and touch.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Athenor)
Um... both the character-specific chapters of Matrix and Rigger 3 give penalties to crossing VCR's and datajacks... they are ususally the 2nd or 3rd chapters... Again, at school, can't give specifics, but there are negatives.

You're half right. As I previously said, Matrix includes a penalty (I want to say +1 to TNs and -1d6 initiative, but with my memory, that's probably wrong) that can be avoided by adding a reflex trigger to the VCR (thus it's the VCR causing the problem, not the wiring of the datajack). Rigger 3 does not include any such penalties, unless they've been added in errata I've missed.
Athenor
That's exactly what it is. Rules-wise, ther eis no difference between saying "1 VCR jack" and "3 cables for control, simsense, and index" -- but hey, it just looks nifty.

This was from an artistic standpoint, however.. I was just pointing out that when it comes to actual cabling, you generally see the datajack taking up 1, and the VCR taking up 3. Prime example is the chica in the BBB, directly across from the beginning of the vehicles and drones chapter.

Athenor
Athenor
That appears to be the VCR to decking penalty, but there is also the datajack -> rigging penalty of only getting a -1 to driving-based tests, or something like that.

Grr.. need books.

Athenor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012