Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neural Dampener
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DV8
I want to start employing Neural Dampeners in my game, as a way of securing people with dangerous cyberware in restricted places, like police stations, nightclubs, corporate buildings, etc. However, I can't actually find the Neural Dampener, or any of its rules in my sourcebooks. I was wondering if anyone knew of a canon description of Neural Dampeners, and if so which book it's in. (Hopefully you can give me a page ref, too. I don't want to exclude the possibility that I've been looking for it with my nose.) If not, then how do you deal with these things in your game? How do you see the Neural Dampener? How does it work?
Lilt
I think there was something like that but I can't find it... There was something that a friend of mine ran once in his campaign that, when inserted in a datajack, shut-down all the cyber-implants someone had.

This, however, temporarily crippled the street-sam who has had part of his spinal column replaced during his wired reflexes installation.
DV8
Well, I saw it mentioned in regards to either the security of Club Penumbra, or Danté's Inferno. Someone who had potentially lethal cybernetic implants, like handrazors, retractable spurs (I can only assume that normal spurs won't actually be halted by neural inhibitors. wink.gif ), oral gun, etc. were required to submit to a neural dampener. I can't imagine that such a dampener would have to be stuck in a datajack, because many people don't have datajacks, but do have these implants. Also, I can't imagine people who have lethal implants would have a total cybernetic shutdown of all systems, including wired reflexes or something legal and non-lethal like that.
Liquid_Obsidian
i think i remeber something related with commercial flights that impedes capacity of offensive cybered people to use it during the flight.. someone remembers that ?
Maxwell Silverhammer
Our Solution to this problem was simply to say that a neural dampner detected the use of dangerous cyberware, and responded by esentialy interupting signals from the brain to the body, by placeing the body in a state of seizure.

The dampner could also be remotly activated by a security guard, or flight attnedent. etc..
Maxwell Silverhammer
Aye liquid, that is where we got our reference, related to flying with Liscensed/registered combat cyberware. it was esentialyl a giant taser collar.
Liquid_Obsidian
aya , i heared too about shaped C4 stuffed handcuffs that relies on detection of DNI activity... just cuts the offensive part of the user ... Fangs ? too bad...
Athenor
There's definitely one in MITS, although it is a white noise generator to keep mages from casting spells when incarcerated.

I think what you are looking for is in the BBB -- check the security equipment for something that attaches to spurs and cyber-implants to impede their work.

Or at the very least, you can go "2 fast, 2 furious" on them and use EMP's... Give them some M&M stress and such. wink.gif

Athenor
DV8
There's the Headjammer:
SR3, p. 292
Headjammer: This headset features straps that "lock" onto a prisoner's head. Any time that prisoner attempts to use an implanted phone or radio, the headjammer does (Rating)S Stun damage and jams the signal.

I suppose that if this headjammer can differentiate and home in on a phone and a radio, it could do the same for other specific implants.
Tanka
If I remember right... There's a spot in one of the "Neo-Anarchist's Guide to..." books. I don't remember which one, but I'm pretty sure it's in there.
sidekick
There are the Containments Manacles (pg 293 BBB) that clamp down when ever spurs, razors, cyber guns, etc are used (for both physical and stun) Might just have people get slapped in those.

There is also MAO (pg 120 M&M) that reduces reaction and initiative of the target, which is a way to limit the wired speed freaks, too bad it's duration is pitiful.

Random Voices
QUOTE (DV8)
I want to start employing Neural Dampeners in my game, as a way of securing people with dangerous cyberware in restricted places, like police stations, nightclubs, corporate buildings, etc. However, I can't actually find the Neural Dampener, or any of its rules in my sourcebooks. I was wondering if anyone knew of a canon description of Neural Dampeners, and if so which book it's in. (Hopefully you can give me a page ref, too. I don't want to exclude the possibility that I've been looking for it with my nose.) If not, then how do you deal with these things in your game? How do you see the Neural Dampener? How does it work?

You are looking for Cybersystem Restraint Cuffs (CRC's) they are found on p. 144 of the original Harlequin adventure book. What they do: when a person goes through a cyberware scanner there is a chance that any implant they have gets detected (in the book the target number to detect cyber is = 2*(6 - implant's essence cost rounded up) if the implant is "...cyberware that is heavily biotech-based, such as Muscle Replacement, Boosted Reflexes, and Retinal Duplication..." (Harlequin p. 145) you multiply by 3). If an implant is detected, and that implant is illegal (Class CB in Harlequin which may or may not be the same in SR3), they are fitted with a CRC which has sensors designed to detect the activation of those specific pieces of cyberware. If the cyber is activated, the most common type of CRC delivers a 4D4 stun electrical shock (8D converted to SR3). There is also a type of CRC which is a shaped charge explosive, that delivers a 6D6 (12D for SR3) blast.

The CRC's can be deactivated by an Electronics 8 test, requiring a microtronics tool kit.
DV8
Random Voices rocks eggs on toast. It is official.
DigitalMage
QUOTE (Random Voices)
You are looking for Cybersystem Restraint Cuffs (CRC's) they are found on p. 144 of the original Harlequin adventure book.

As Tanka also hinted at earlier, the rules were also in the Neo Anarchist's Guide to North America.
hobgoblin
hmm, anyone know if there are any info about stuff like that in the new sprawl survival guide? im just wonderingas i thought it would copy some of the info in those neo anarchist books...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012