So, I'm exploring options of Matrix Security for my mission builder and came up with some options I liked. I thought I'd share them to see if I can get any thoughts or feedback or, better yet, questions that I hadn't thought of yet.

One of the first principles in creating a Matrix Security System (hereafter refereed to as "SysSec") is deciding on an appropriate security operating system. The basic options are described below:

Indie OS: Every device and terminal within a building is on its own individual nodes. For an administrator to make changes to the device, (say changing the code on a maglock), he has to go to access each individual device and make his changes. This can be a time consuming process in larger buildings and networks. Also, protection software has to be installed on each system separately, so often cheaper agents and firewalls are found protecting these systems. An Independent OS does not benefit from Security Protocols.

Sector OS: Every device and terminal within a building is on its 'sector node'. Usually a distinct 'sector node' covers all devices of a single type, or all devices within a single geographic location. For example, each individual floor in a building might have its own Sector OS, while all of the cameras in the building operate on a separate Sector OS, regardless of where they are. A device can never belong to more than one Sector at a time. Sector OS has the benefits of allowing multiple devices onto a single well-protected node, while securing parts of the system from non-protected parts.

Master OS: Every device and terminal within the compound is linked onto a single master node, usually monitored by a small group of security hackers. Devices can be controlled either individually (by connecting directly through the device), or through the Master Node (which can connect to many devices at once). Hacking into the Master Node incurs a +6 (admin access) penalty. All devices linked to the Master Node use the Master Node's programs, firewalls, agents, and Protocols. This saves a lot of expense, allowing top-of-the-line security software and firewalls to be installed into the Master Node. Individual devices can also have their own programs and agents installed locally, but usually won't.

That's really as far as I've gotten so far, but I thought it would be a good time to get a fresh perspective.

Basically, creating the SysSec for a compound is done by selecting a Security OS, determining an Encryption Level, and adding any Protocols that are appropriate.

Protocols are an idea that I'm playing with. If IC is the Matrix-equivalent of security guards and drones, then Protocols are the equivalent of technical and physical security. They're not meant to be defeated, just dealt with, endured, or bypassed. I haven't yet finished writing up Protocols, but you don't really need them to begin playing around with your own Security OSs.