Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix Perception idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cetiah
My mind is plugged into all things Matrix, I'm doing virtual runs in my head (with dice and lots and lots of scratchpaper) and running into all sorts of bizzare situations. Plus, I'm constantly trying to imagine would it would be like doing all this if I had AR.

(I'm come to the conclusion that GMing with an AR comlink would be sooooo useful but slightly distracting if my players had it. I mean, we'd probably all be subscribed to dumpshock 24/7... I'd never sleep... but hell, I don't sleep now...)

So I'm considering Scanning nodes and Matrix perception checks. I was just wondering, why can't I use my regular Perception skill for this?

I mean, if some guy is accessing his comlink in front of me, or I can see the device I'm trying to hack into, I would imagine that my AR interface could instantly pull up a pair of crosshairs and zero-in on what I'm looking for to instantly find the node, "it's right freakin' there!!!"

I realize network signals don't actually work this way, obviously, but think about it... the Matrix works by translating raw data and computer-speak into icons and AROs that we interact with. When we interact with those icons, the computer does all the work and all the calculations.

Normally, there's no common transitive skill/action used so we have seperate computer skills. It's not like I can use my Pistols skills to shoot an IC. But I can use perception to percieve a physical object like a comlink, and that comlink has a matrix connection and so does my perception thanks to AR which overlays my physical and matrix world...

so shouldn't I just be able to see the camera or comlink with perception?

Maybe a program would be required, the sort of cross-hairs thing.

Am I just way off my nut? Should I go to bed now?
Should I see a shrink?
Jaid
sure you can see a camera or whatever with regular perception. but if you want to see it's node, you need matrix perception (though many devices will have a threshold of 0 if you're looking for it, imo)

keep in mind that with the number of wireless devices in the sixth world nowadays, you could look at a person, and sure they've got a commlink. and clothes (each piece is separate). maybe a couple other things with RFIDs. maybe a second commlink. and they're within range of, say, 3 other people's clothes (within 3 meters). and maybe they have some cyber. maybe they're walking past a sign. the businesses on either side of the street are sending out signals as well. the cars on the street are reaching out 400 m around them, as i recall.

it's not "is there a node there?" it's "which fragging node that's there is the one i'm looking for?"
Aaron
Have you read p. 229 of you hymnal? There's a few paragraphs there that explain the whole thing about Matrix Perception tests.

Scanning, on the other hand, is a whole different story. Let's say there's a chick futzing with her commlink, in plain sight. Sure, she's futzing with a commlink, but is that commlink even on? If it is, is it broadcasting? If it's broadcasting, what frequency is it using? Is it using a weird set of protocols? Is it definitely that commlink, or the street light across the street?

I've got a nifty Palm TX. It's got built-in WiFi, I'm quite happy with it. I could be standing in a building, looking at a wireless router, but not be able to connect with the network because my Palm might not be able to find the router's signal. It could be not advertising its presence, in which case I'd have to do some scanning of the air waves in the appropriate frequencies and then do some detective work figuring out which frequency band the router is using. That's what the Scan program does (for more info, see under Detecting Wireless Nodes on p. 225 of your hymnal).
cetiah
QUOTE (Aaron)
Have you read p. 229 of you hymnal? There's a few paragraphs there that explain the whole thing about Matrix Perception tests.

Scanning, on the other hand, is a whole different story. Let's say there's a chick futzing with her commlink, in plain sight. Sure, she's futzing with a commlink, but is that commlink even on? If it is, is it broadcasting? If it's broadcasting, what frequency is it using? Is it using a weird set of protocols? Is it definitely that commlink, or the street light across the street?

I've got a nifty Palm TX. It's got built-in WiFi, I'm quite happy with it. I could be standing in a building, looking at a wireless router, but not be able to connect with the network because my Palm might not be able to find the router's signal. It could be not advertising its presence, in which case I'd have to do some scanning of the air waves in the appropriate frequencies and then do some detective work figuring out which frequency band the router is using. That's what the Scan program does (for more info, see under Detecting Wireless Nodes on p. 225 of your hymnal).

I understand how networking works, and how its very different from biology, and yet I can't help but feel that the whole point of the Matrix was that the Matrix itself will bridge the gap between networking and physical. And AR was supposed to take that even further, combining your physical and Matrix world into one hybrid.
hobgoblin
first question, is the comlink of the person sending out any ARO data?

if so, then interacting with the node of the comlink would be as simple as following said ARO to its transmitter.

but if there is no ARO around, one would have to dig out the protocol scanner and go checking. and unless the comlink is attaching some GPS coordinates to its traffic it would be virtually useless to try and visually zero in on someone and hope to find said comlink.

this because a directional antenna controlled by sight would pick up anything in a right line from you, past said person and onwards to its max range.

sure, if its just you and him there it would be simple, but then it would be the only datatraffic on the airwaves anyways. but on a crowed street you may have narrowed the potential targets down some, but even then it can be many signals to sort.
Aaron
QUOTE (cetiah)
I understand how networking works, and how its very different from biology, and yet I can't help but feel that the whole point of the Matrix was that the Matrix itself will bridge the gap between networking and physical. And AR was supposed to take that even further, combining your physical and Matrix world into one hybrid.

I'm not convinced that the intent was that the worlds of the physical and Matrix are being depicted as integrated. I think Augmented Reality was meant to ... y'know ... augment reality, rather than blend with it.
hobgoblin
and this via the use of ARO's (augmented reality objects iirc).

kinda like having a RFID attached to a ad banner that maintains a ARO that when interacted with leads to a node for more info about the product the banner advertise.

this is a real life scenario as they are working on doing this with everything from bluetooth to barcodes that you can photograph and use as a link to a website.

a ARO would probably as part of its data hand out info about where in the world the comlinks AR overlay should place the ARO.

other ARO's would just appear as a floating icon while within range of the transmitter, and when interacted with would play back some kind of ad or whatever (spam anyone?).

i guess SR4 do not cover this part in detail as it would just be to much. just look at how the web changes from year to year. by leaving it all a bit undefined it does go archaic as fast, and leaves room for the GM to be creative wink.gif

still, i have a feel/hope/expect that unwired will contain a sizable chapter on the social implications of the wireless matrix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012