Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right-angle shooting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Siege
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/10/29/l...n.ap/index.html

Of course, it was developed by the Israelies.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the weapon in question.

-Siege
Austere Emancipator
The sad thing about it is that it really is a PISTOL, connected to a videocamera and a stock on a hinge. Not exactly hi-tech. Calling it a "rifle" is exaggeration since the damn thing really has an actual pistol mounted on it, albeit with an elongated barrel.

Maybe the point is that in case the video camera is busted, you can easily pop the pistol out of the chassis and fire it alone.
Buzzed
Next thing you know, terrorists will infiltrate the media. Scary.

"Let me try to get a better angle for this shot."

Say cheese.
Kagetenshi
The gun-in-a-camera trick has been around for a long time.

~J
Tanka
I was thinking of a fun thing to do as a character who's mainly combat-oriented.

Put a camera on his gun with some good ultrasound/infrared/etc., smartlink it, then connect the camera to his eyes. Give him some good eyes to be able to place the camera image over his own. There goes your +TN for firing blindly! ;p
Req
I wonder how iffy the recoil would be on a gun that fired at 90 degrees to the angle you're holding it at?
Siege
Just aiming that thing is going to take a hell of a lot of practice.

As Req pointed out, the recoil issues are interesting since it's technically a pistol -- never trust the media to get it right when discussing weapons. I'm also curious as to the caliber.

-Siege
Wonazer
QUOTE (Req @ Oct 30 2003, 12:42 PM)
I wonder how iffy the recoil would be on a gun that fired at 90 degrees to the angle you're holding it at?

/shudders
Picture the applications as applied to bigger weapons...

Duuuuude! It works like this, man. You aim the cannon around the corner, right.. and then watch the video camera... Like this... See?

Ouch.
Austere Emancipator
I'm sure some gun-freak (I mean more gun-freak than me) can tell us exactly what pistol that is. I think it's a safe bet it's either 9mmP, .40S&W or .45ACP. I bet the recoil will be weird, and play merry hell with your aim, but it shouldn't be too hard on you physically since it's basically a heavy, stocked pistol.
Siege
Basically the entire firing mechanism would have to be forward of the "elbow-joint" because once the bullet has been fired, getting it to hang a 90 degree isn't likely.

Which means the barring some form of recoil compensation (which is going to add extra weight) to the front end of the barrel, the entire recoil will running parallel to your body, not directly against it.

Oy.

-Siege
Sidethink
Not sure about the gun in the link but there are a few other pics floating around the web with Glock 19s and 21s
krishcane
My other thought was that if it's a pistol, then you're not quite as far away as I'd prefer to be when having to lay down, stabilize, and line up some weird shot-by-video.

What would be cooler would be to mount the gun/camera around the corner, and have it display a little screen on your side with what the camera sees. Then use a false gun on your side with inertial sensors to shoot at the images on the screen like a video game -- the real gun tracks the movements of your fake gun 1:1. Now you're in a position to aim intuitively and respond rapidly to a moving target.

Now hook the whole thing up to a wireless network so you can deploy your little corner shooter and then go back to the armored van and work it from there. smile.gif

--K
Tanka
And then you run out of ammo. No drop-shooting to reload for you this time!

Or just customize it with a huge clip and give it a selectable clip option... I mean, I managed to make a Sniper Rifle which had two clips of 50. One for APDS, one for Explosive!

Troll with the armor rating of an APC? Mmk... *switch to APDS*
Vampire? No problem! *switch to Explosive*

Of course, getting your hands on the APDS is a different story entirely...
Siege
Acid. Much nastier and easier to come up with.

-Siege
EVLTIM
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I'm sure some gun-freak (I mean more gun-freak than me) can tell us exactly what pistol that is. I think it's a safe bet it's either 9mmP, .40S&W or .45ACP. I bet the recoil will be weird, and play merry hell with your aim, but it shouldn't be too hard on you physically since it's basically a heavy, stocked pistol.

From what I have been reading it is a modded Glock 17 9mm.

I would also like to know when Flordia became part of Isreal ?

locomotiveman
A curved barrel like that isn't anything new, the Germans were using one during the war. It is discribed as a US-Israeli company, "Corner Shot Holdings", anyone want to join me in incoperating "Bank Shot Holdings"? We can use the laser in the opening part of the article to melt bank vaults.
Shadow
I thought the laser was far more interesting. It's good to see they are finally getting that bad-boy back in service. It shot down a drone at 20,000 feet waaay back in '96!
Fresno Bob
Er, the article says the gun consists of two parts, and they say there that its a pistol. They did get their facts right.
Siege
In a WW1 museum, I saw a periscope/angled rifle that was designed to be fired from the safety of a trench. It had two 90 degree angles, designed to angle over the edge of a trench.

Interesting but strangely practical, given the fondness of rushing machinegun nests hoping they ran out of ammo...

-Siege
Kurukami
QUOTE (Shadow)
I thought the laser was far more interesting. It's good to see they are finally getting that bad-boy back in service. It shot down a drone at 20,000 feet waaay back in '96!

That's actually a bit misleading. Check out this page, and do a search for "MIRACL" (yes, that's not a typo). The only thing they proved back in 1996 was that a laser could destroy a Katyusha rocket through transmitted energy -- by flying one into the path of the beam.

The lack that the system had then, and I believe still has, is in tracking targets well enough to intercept them in midair.
Tziluthi
I thought it looked like a glock. Useless, useless guns.
Siege
QUOTE (Tziluthi)

Those are fighting words if I ever I heard them.

Not that I'm a Glock fan by any means, but the line does have its fans.

-Siege
Dim Sum
Glocks are beautiful! biggrin.gif

I love 'em! All plastic! Can't pick 'em up on metal detectors!

... Hehehe, okay, okay, just yanking your chains. biggrin.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (EVILTIM)
From what I have been reading it is a modded Glock 17 9mm.

The one in the picture in the link is not a 17. It's a subcompact (you can tell by the length of the slide/barrel). Most likely a 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40 S&W).

The whole thing looks pretty silly, if you ask me.

I would also like to know when Flordia became part of Isreal ?

According to floridajewish.com, the Jewish population in Florida jumped from about 25,000 in 1940 to over 175,000 in 1960. Now "South Florida has the largest concentration of Jews outside of Israel." So I guess the answer to your rhetorical question is shortly after World War II, or about the same time Israel was founded. (Makes sense, eh?) biggrin.gif

That must be why they've outsold just about every other pistol on the planet at this point. The Glock is not my favorite pistol either, but calling it "useless" is pushing it just a tad. Not the kind of shit you're likely to talk when some belligerent has one pointed at, near, or around you. Namely one of the millions of cops in the world that carry them.
Grimtooth
I'd like to add something on this seeing as how i'm a G17 owner.

I HATE my G17. I'm a lefty and glock is a right hander's gun, and I don't like double action triggers.

However, on the plus side i have no fear that when and if i ever need it, it will ALWAYS work. PERIOD.

I originally wanted a USP, a 1911 or a P99 with a single action trigger setup. Unfortunately money kept me from getting one.

i'll get down off my soap box now

BTW has anyone seen the new G37? It was on gunbroker.com. Apparently its in 45 GAP. Not 45 ACP. Any idea what a 45 GAP round looks like?

/edit

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem....p?Item=13204530
Austere Emancipator
Google all the way.
Grimtooth
Thanks AE!

Now if i can just find a store the will accept a used G17 as a trade in.

Seems like there is a glut of G17's.

Of course 45 gap's will be more expensive than the surplus ammo i run through my current G17.
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Raygun)
The one in the picture in the link is not a 17. It's a subcompact (you can tell by the length of the slide/barrel). Most likely a 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40 S&W).

The one in this pic appears to be a 19C or 23C.

However, note this site which states that "The CORNER SHOT adapts to fit most automatic handguns currently in use". That could help it be successful across the multitude of pistol standards in the world. It would be even better if the pistol could be quickly added/removed.

As just a frame that can plug in various camera types and various pistols, it shouldn't be overly expensive (okay... the camera is probably expensive) and it looks like something that could find the occassional use by police teams trying to deal with a holed up opponent. At least worth keeping in the trunk "just-in-case". smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012