Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I read Runner Havens and then read New Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Eleazar
I have only read the Seattle part of Runner Havens and I must say it doesn't even compare to the wealth of information given in New Seattle. It is almost as if Runner Havens has expected you to read New Seattle first and then update you on the current goings on in Seattle. Reading New Seattle is just making things "click" more. Realize I am somewhat new to Shadowrun. I just feel one gets a heck of a lot more bang for you buck if you go with New Seattle, if Seattle information is what your in for. You will probably need Runner Havens still because it does assist in letting you know what is going on currently and has some nice tidbits. I haven't read the Hong Kong or other sections yet and am basing my judgment on the Seattle coverage, which is really the only place I play.

The biggest shocker of this is that SR4 is allegedly catered to the new player. I would like to know what their definition of new is. That section on Seattle is just incredibly lacking compared to New Seattle. It makes me wonder why they even did it. It seems like something they just decided to do to throw a bone to people interested in Seattle. Reading New Seattle is clearing up misconception I had about Seattle due to the Runner Havens section. There just isn't enough information to get a full view of the game world there.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
JonathanC
Yeah, Runner Havens was kind of disappointing as a setting book. The Seattle books have gotten less and less content-heavy with each new edition, really. The same can be said of the other "city" type books...compare The Anarchist's Guide to North America to Target: UCAS, and then to Shadows of North America.
cetiah
Yeah, New Seattle is cool and really helped me flesh out my campaign. From the comments on this forum, though, it sounds like its predecessor, Seattle, was even better. How weird is that? I gotta look for that book.
emo samurai
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA MY FLGS HAS A COPY AND I DON'T CARE TO BUY IT!!!!
BishopMcQ
Thanks Emo, if you wouldn't mind PMing the info to Cetiah or posting the info about your FLGS here so that someone who does want it can buy it, it'd be great.

Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that books like New Seattle and Denver didn't sell quite as well as the other books in the line, which resulted in the transition. Corp Enclaves, Feral Haunts, etc will flesh out more cities in the same way that Runner Havens did, which I personally find more useful.

I can always come up with the name of a bar, but having a map and key players that i can use to seed a Mission with weeks or months before the runners get to that part of the campaign is helpful for me.
SL James
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 25 2007, 10:26 PM)
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA MY FLGS HAS A COPY AND I DON'T CARE TO BUY IT!!!!

What, no entrepreneurial spirit?

QUOTE (Eleazar)
Reading New Seattle is clearing up misconception I had about Seattle due to the Runner Havens section.

Which would be...?

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Yes. I've bashed it at length in other threads you can search for. Seattle was a great book. A book where runners lived at the YMCA. A book which can actually be called "gritty." NS and RH don't even come close.

QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that books like New Seattle and Denver didn't sell quite as well as the other books in the line, which resulted in the transition.

Denver was a $25 boxed set back when most of the sourcebooks were $15 and some books were $12 (which seems like a long damn time ago as I think about the copy of Street Magic I saw at Barnes & Noble for $35). It was a commitment purchase. Other sourcebooks didn't sell well because, let's face it, they suck. Germany SB deserves to still be sitting in warehouses 13 years after its English-language release because it's just that bad.
Blade
I always found that SR location books didn't give any info about what the streets looked like. You had the address of thousands of places, you had everything about politics but nothing about the city itself.

Runner Havens has a at least something about it, and that's why I found it better than New Seattle. It still lacks things like pictures of the streets and details that would help picturing what it looks like, but it's better than just a useless list of places.
cetiah
I liked New Seattle because it gave me a map of Seattle, described various areas in terms of their local history, residential and industrial areas and such. It helped me determine where my runners live and where the contacts live, and combined with Google earth (and the beautiful package some dedicated members here made for it), it's helped me to point out various mission sites and where they are in relation to each other. Most importantly, I have an idea where the AAA zones are and where the C zones are.

None of this may mean too much to you, but I was looking for three things from the book and New Seattle had the first two:

1) A way to describe areas of the city "as characters" with their own flavor, history, personality, etc.
2) A hard look at what I can do while only focussing in one small area, so that I can expand in new areas for future runs. I really wanted to promote this idea that the runners are "local" runners and as they get good they attract attention from employers in other, more prosperous areas.
3) A giant omni-map of Seattle that would help me conduct chase scenes. Sadly, this was lacking. But there are local territorial maps that are cool. You just got to mentally fix them together in your head.
fistandantilus4.0
ONe thing Idid like from Runner Havens is that it had a map with a key/scale. 'Bought time. But I agree that it didn't give a full view of the city. May be because they're trying to pull the focus away from Seattle and make it mroe global, but I don't think it works well as a stand alone intro to the city.
Blade
Yeah, for sure the maps of New Seattle were useful, but now the Shdaowrun community Google Map has everything you need. wink.gif
They should just have written down the link somewhere in the book.
cetiah
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 26 2007, 12:27 AM)
Yeah, for sure the maps of New Seattle were useful, but now the Shdaowrun community Google Map has everything you need. wink.gif
They should just have written down the link somewhere in the book.

I LOVE that thing!!!!!!!!

I don't suppose there'd be someway to, oh I don't know, update those maps so that we're not conducting runs in the industrial sprawls of some green forest on the map...? That would be wicked cool.
L.D
Ah... the old Seattle book. Now it had some good maps... smile.gif
Cheops
I have to agree that SR4 certainly doesn't seem set up for new players/GMs. There is a lot of backstory to read. Kinda reminds me of Battletech in the mid 90's. Problem is that nowadays you can get the old books for free by downloading them from other players. So now there is no reason to buy the old books. Kinda leaves the publisher in the bind since sales of reprinted books won't be great but sales of PDFs will be low too.

It still leaves the new player with the problem of having to read the old books to get a true feel for the setting as current books are mostly just meta-plot updates.
Kesslan
Well I think Runner Havens is ment really just to touch uppon specific areas. I mean look at say.. Neoanarchists Guide to Real life. It.. sorta touches on Seattle. But it's mostly about new toys and corp security measures.

It's just a book that adds a tiny bit more depth, rather than going into major detail. For that you can dig up the old books sure. And eventually they might very well make a third Seattle book that covers nothing BUT Seattle.

They dont really need to so much beyond updating existing info. But doing even that is a big job. You'd have to go through all the old books from SR1 to SR3. And I really do mean close to all of them. There's tons of info on Seattle thats scattered about in various books. And not all of that data shows up in Seattle or New Seattle.

Runner Havens however does do much what they did with Battletech. It gives you enough info on the location to easily setup a more or less proper game representation of the area. If you want more the info is there, you just have to take time to read it (Assuming you can find it). Anyone dedicated enough can eventually find that info one way or another, and it's not even that hard to do. Lots of the old books still floating about in pretty good shape.
Mistwalker
I don't think the sales would have been there for a new seattle source book. The amount of information that would have been updated would not have been worth it for most veteran players to buy the book, and a lot of us would have moaned and bitched about it too.

So, I think they did the right thing with RH, a bit of information, some new plot lines and away you go.
Oracle
The first Seattle Sourcebook had a lot more information about individual places than New Seattle. However I prefer Runner Havens because of it telling more about the "look and feel" of the city.

Claw
It's hard for me to compare Runner Havens, New Seattle an Seattle, cause they had different starting positions. We have to accept, that you have mostly old players, even if you start a new edition. So you can't fill a book mostly with old informations from previous editions with some additions in timeline. Old players (and so most players) would reasonably complain about knowing 80% and won't buy that book.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SL James @ Jan 26 2007, 07:03 AM)
Germany SB deserves to still be sitting in warehouses 13 years after its English-language release because it's just that bad.

Consider yourself lucky you never read the original... or the new versions.
Eleazar
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Eleazar)
Reading New Seattle is clearing up misconception I had about Seattle due to the Runner Havens section.

Which would be...?

1. New Seattle relays just how really prominent Lonestar is in downtown.
2. Lonestar actually sends out mages regularly in response to threats
3. In less policed areas Lonestar hits with more force. The only place I saw in runner havens about this was Redmond Barrens, and it was a comment. This still didn't paint the full picture and what Lonestar's actions would be elsewhere. So I was thinking this was a Redmond thing only.

I am still reading New Seattle, so I am sure more will come up. There was another thing about the Eighty Eights, but I can't remember what it was now. I am just getting a fuller picture.
ChicagosFinest
Seattle and new seattle rule over RH. It was like looking in the phone book and telling the best places to meet great and eat. That added to the "feel" of the city. It would have been nice to get info on sporting events, black marktet and smuggleing dens and more info about you know... CRIME.

There are a million and one things that runners can do because they are criminals. An outline should have been given about what types of crimes happen and how these opperations get started in the first place.

In the old books information was key and not just a general outline of events. At the time when i used those books it made things seem mundane but thats what made it realistic enough to belive runners lived in the YMCA.
Brahm
Keep in mind that:
1) Seattle is already far and away the most covered city in SR books, so as I understand it RH is suppose to be a refresher to update to current events.
2) New Seattle has more than double the page count of the Seattle section of RH. So having more detail is to be expected.

Personally I didn't get RH for Seattle. I got it for HongKong, and I do consider that well done for the 60ish pages it got. Sure it would have been better with 136 pages for Hong Kong, but such as it is. frown.gif

What I really felt let down by is the 4 extra cities. Not by what was there, but I hadn't realized that those sections were going to as short as they are. Still glad I've picked up the book, on PDF. But even bumping the page count by 2 (basically doubling) for those extra cities would have been more than worth a few extra bucks for me. I would have even been happy to have them cut even deeper into the Seattle section to come with those extra pages.
Demonseed Elite
Well, New Seattle does have a lot more wordcount focused on Seattle than Runner Havens does. With more wordcount, RH Seattle could have gone into more depth on various aspects also. But the development goal of Runner Havens wasn't to just focus on Seattle. So it's a bit of a lopsided comparison if you're basing it solely on that. After all, you could say that New Seattle gives me zero information on Hong Kong. nyahnyah.gif

I'd liked to have seen more maps in RH. Mike does a great job with the maps and I think you can convey a lot of information about a city from a good map. The one regional map/one district map decision was a dev decision so that's the way it went down, but I'd love to see more maps go up on the SR website at some point.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Brahm)
What I really felt let down by is the 4 extra cities. Not by what was there, but I hadn't realized that those sections were going to as short as they are. Still glad I've picked up the book, on PDF. But even bumping the page count by 2 (basically doubling) for those extra cities would have been more than worth a few extra bucks for me. I would have even been happy to have them cut even deeper into the Seattle section to come with those extra pages.

I agree there. On one hand, I do like to see those cities mentioned, but I agree they are too short. I almost think it would have been better to use that word count to expand the section on "Making your own Runner Haven" and instead put longer sections for those cities online.
eidolon
I think there might be a difference in how people are viewing the statement that it's for a "new" player.

The perspective being expressed here seems to be "I'm new, so I want to know everything that there is to know". I would say that the perspective being expressed when the books say "for a new player" is "enough to play the game and start liking and being interested in the world, but not so much that they feel inundated with so much information that they don't know where to start".

The SR world is pretty expansive, all books considered. There's way more information than will ever be used in most games (at least that's my experience and that of most everyone I've ever played with). I know from bringing people into the fold that the sheer amount of information can be overwhelming. My wife for example, the first time I asked her to play, said at first that she didn't want to because she felt like she was supposed to know "all this stuff" but didn't have time to read thirty books.

So I guess both perspectives are right, it just depends on what you're trying to get out of the books. RH can't possibly give you as much information on New Seattle, because then where would it put HK? Etc, etc.
cetiah
QUOTE (eidolon)
The perspective being expressed here seems to be "I'm new, so I want to know everything that there is to know". I would say that the perspective being expressed when the books say "for a new player" is "enough to play the game and start liking and being interested in the world, but not so much that they feel inundated with so much information that they don't know where to start".

I agree with this statement in general, just not in this specific case. I *am* relatively new to Shadowrun, though with a lot of GM experience, and I didn't feel like I could GM a Shadowrun game until I read New Seattle. I mean I could do infiltrations through the world, and keep very local adventures, but I really wanted maps and stuff to run car chases and I wanted to be able to show how places change depending on where you go and I love the fact that I have a general location for where each contact is and an idea of how to make that place different/special. I also have solid reasons why you do *not* take runs Downtown as a rookie solo op.

I found the whole listing of restaurants and conventional stuff to be useless and I skipped most of it. What I really wanted were the maps and descriptions of the various neighborhoods, if, for no other reasons, my players could now take Knowledge Skills in various aspects of Seattle, like Knowledge(Redmond), for example. There are other apsects beyond geography, too.

I would have preferred a lot less focus on "conventional" stuff like hotels and restaurants, and more focus on Seattle landmarks, and places of importance to a Shadowrun GM. For example, I had to start a thread on dumpshock about where the docks in Seattle were so that I could get a conceptual picture of how my Shadowrun was going to go as they move through various parts of the city. I figured with all the talk about Seattle smuggling, and smuggling being a whole run type, there would have been some "smuggling" section to help setup those kind of runs. Perhaps a few examples of "senstitive" common Shadowrun areas and descriptions, as opposed to, you know, the burger joint.

But overall, I consider New Seattle almost required reading.
Whereas Corporate Download, I feel, isn't necessary for a newbie GM or player because its just too much information with too little use; the basic descriptions of corporations in SR4 are so much better to get started with.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 26 2007, 11:50 AM)
I found the whole listing of restaurants and conventional stuff to be useless and I skipped most of it.  What I really wanted were the maps and descriptions of the various neighborhoods, if, for no other reasons, my players could now take Knowledge Skills in various aspects of Seattle, like Knowledge(Redmond), for example.  There are other apsects beyond geography, too.

I totally understand the desire for more maps. Again, this is something the authors actually wanted, but it just couldn't be done (in the book, at least, I still feel we should have more on the website).

As for neighborhood descriptions, can you give me some specifics about what you feel is missing from the Districts section of RH? The intent of that section is to inform the GM and players of the feel of each section of the city, so I'm curious what you find missing.
cetiah
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 26 2007, 12:05 PM)
As for neighborhood descriptions, can you give me some specifics about what you feel is missing from the Districts section of RH? The intent of that section is to inform the GM and players of the feel of each section of the city, so I'm curious what you find missing.

Ummm... well, no.

1) The section you are quoting is being taken out of context. That was a response to the "new players don't need to be barraged by information" argument, not a statement that RH had insufficient information in this area.

2) I didn't buy Runner Havens. I could buy Runner Havens or New Seattle. Runner Havens seemed to have a cool idea with guidelines on how to "create a runner haven", but they didn't really seem like rules or anything I wouldn't automatically do on my own when setting a shadowrun somewhere. I had a choice of buying Runner Havens or New Seattle. New Seattle was cheaper and seemed to convey more information and rules, while RH seemed to have less of both. Also, since I had already set my campaign in Seattle, the Hong Kong stuff seemed more or less useless to me (even though, by coincidence, my campaign features a Triad operation smuggling in some technomancers from hong kong as part of a major power play happening).

3) If Runner Havens had the information you're suggesting then maybe it's layout was lacking somewhat, because I didn't see it when I flipped through it in a bookstore whereas New Seattle looked immediately useful, like I could start enhancing my campaign immediately with it.

I'm not saying I didn't like Runner Havens, because I didn't buy it, just that New Seattle was really cool. Some people on this forum are saying that Seattle is even better, but I haven't seen it.
cetiah
I would really love to see a book that combined the ideas behind New Seattle and Sprawl Sites, but with more of an emphasis on "these are potential good shadowrun sites and here are some adventure ideas" listed in each area chapter. Maps in sprawl sites are cool and stuff, but they had almost no description of security for these locations. If I had descriptions of an overall area (for the various neighborhoods in seattle; say each one as its own chapter) and 3 or more sample run locations with maps, security ideas, a small paragraph or two for suggested variations, and adventure ideas associated with each mapped site, that would be really useful to me and I think to most new GMs. An extra chapter on a certain arcology wouldn't hurt, either...
SL James
QUOTE (cetiah)
I found the whole listing of restaurants and conventional stuff to be useless and I skipped most of it.

They actually meant something in Seattle, but yeah, in NS it's empty wordcount.
ChicagosFinest
I thought that detail like that would just add depth to the game. THink about it, when you do something do you have a favorate spot you go to? People have their favorate coffee houses and restuarunts, runners do to.

What kind of runner are you? Are you a face who is used to upscale dining and haughty social events? If so what resturaunts would you frequent and what yuppie wine bar do you do your bussiness in?

If I'm a technomancer do I hang out in the arcade all day, a computer lab, or in AR/VR all day?

What about average joe runner/mr johnson who is a big sports fan? Where do they go.

Depth, sorry that I loke to throw a fodder of details at my GM but it helps me get into character.
Brahm
QUOTE (cetiah)
I agree with this statement in general, just not in this specific case. I *am* relatively new to Shadowrun, though with a lot of GM experience, and I didn't feel like I could GM a Shadowrun game until I read New Seattle.

Yeah, but New Seattle is there. And generally speaking available. smile.gif (is it or Seattle been converted to PDF yet?).

P.S. I think your feeling about not being able GM a Shadowrun game until reading New Seattle is more than a little illusionary. You might not GM a Shadowrun game set in Seattle that measured up to the requirements of a canon stickler. But to do that you should expect to drop the cash for a few books given the enormous breadth of SR material. On the otherhand running a Shadowrun game is very possible with just the core book alone and virtually no other SR experience or knowledge.
Thane36425
This seems to be a fault common in RPGs today. To me it looks like they are trying to cover too much in a single book and as such don't provide as much info as the older books did. D20 is terrible about this with most of the new supplemental books being pitiful compared to those from the previous editions. Too bad that might be happening in SR4 too.
ornot
I rather liked Runner Havens. While comparitively content light on Seattle itself compared to Seattle and New Seattle, that's hardly surprising, considering the disparity in word count. My favourite section in RH was the part about designing your own city, although I do feel that I could run something reasonable in Hong Kong or Seattle. Some more of the population, economics and crime stats that were so common in the older books would have been interesting, but ultimately that's flavour that can be added by an imaginative GM.

What I'd like to see more of is European (specifically UK) locations.
cetiah
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Jan 26 2007, 07:29 PM)
This seems to be a fault common in RPGs today. To me it looks like they are trying to cover too much in a single book and as such don't provide as much info as the older books did. D20 is terrible about this with most of the new supplemental books being pitiful compared to those from the previous editions. Too bad that might be happening in SR4 too.

It's a tough call for whoever has to make these decisions. Do you release two different books, Seattle and Hong Kong? Well, then fans might complain that they need to buy too many products to get to know the setting because its fractured in a weird way. You have two better products, which probably will please the fans more, thus you can charge more for them or at the same prices we could assume fans are more likely to buy them. But your expenses increase publishing and marketing two different books (or more). Plus, your total sales get segregated into those groups who buy Seattle and those groups who buy Hong Kong, thus you might find that while you sell more products overall, the percentage of profit each book is making is considerably lower than you would have expected. It can also interfere with your intentions to release other unrelated products.

On the other hand, releasing them together saves time and marketing expense, plus it appeals to a broader market. Especially in this case because, as people have noted, Seattle was covered before and to re-release a Seattle book, it has to contain new stuff. But you've had to make some tough editing choices and cut it down to size to make it one reasonably affordable book that's easy to produce. Thus, you cover more topics ensuring more people will find some use out of it, then more specialized books that would have appealed to a smaller market but given them much more use. Individually, people are less satisfied with it, but there's more satisfaction overall (and thus more revenue).

It's just a matter of tough marketing calls. They're not easy choices. Generally speaking, the latter choice (which I tend to think of as the 'magazine' strategy) is growing very popular within the RPG industry. You can see why here on this forum from time to time, with various people expressing opinions on all kinds of things they'd like to see. Presumably, these people would buy a product that at least touched on the subjects they were asking for, even if they didn't go into as much depth as they would have liked.

Also, consider that by merely touching multiple subjects (say, Seattle and Hong Kong), they've still left themselves open to developing more specialized books with those topics later. You couldn't do it the other way around. Someone who bought Even Newer Seattle and Hong Kong would never buy Runner Havens after that. Also, by grouping the information together in a format that's even more marketable, like including Hong Kong info along with your Seattle info, you might spark interest for a subject in a reader who otherwise would have never been even briefly exposed to that information (so it would have been harder to sell a Hong Kong book after publishing Seattle than it would be to sell a Hong Kong book after publishing Runner Havens).

I understand the marketing choices and why its being done the way it is, but I, too, agree with you that I'm sorry to see this happening with Shadowrun.
cetiah
QUOTE (ornot)
My favourite section in RH was the part about designing your own city,

What did this have in it? You're the first person I've heard say that and from the what brief look I had of the book, I didn't see any guidelines or rules at all other than "have lots of corps, have lots of crime, have lots of conflict" which is, I think, inherently obvious. I was expecting to have like a catalog of "features" or something you could use to describe/run different cities or... I don't know... something. Character generation for a city or some-such.
Cheops
QUOTE (cetiah)
QUOTE (ornot @ Jan 26 2007, 07:53 PM)
My favourite section in RH was the part about designing your own city,

What did this have in it? You're the first person I've heard say that and from the what brief look I had of the book, I didn't see any guidelines or rules at all other than "have lots of corps, have lots of crime, have lots of conflict" which is, I think, inherently obvious. I was expecting to have like a catalog of "features" or something you could use to describe/run different cities or... I don't know... something. Character generation for a city or some-such.

I think that MrJ's LBB was much better for this than Runner Havens was. Random neighborhood generators, sample locations, etc. Of course MrJLBB was better than most books I've seen in a while in terms of fluff and GM aid.
sirdoom
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

And why? proof.gif sarcastic.gif
Thane36425
QUOTE (cetiah)

It's a tough call for whoever has to make these decisions. Do you release two different books, Seattle and Hong Kong? Well, then fans might complain that they need to buy too many products to get to know the setting because its fractured in a weird way. You have two better products, which probably will please the fans more, thus you can charge more for them or at the same prices we could assume fans are more likely to buy them. But your expenses increase publishing and marketing two different books (or more). Plus, your total sales get segregated into those groups who buy Seattle and those groups who buy Hong Kong, thus you might find that while you sell more products overall, the percentage of profit each book is making is considerably lower than you would have expected. It can also interfere with your intentions to release other unrelated products.

You hit the nail on the head. Publishing expenses are a major factor in these decisions now. One way around this would be to release more content on the web. A lot of these books are also available on PDF formats. That would save a lot of publishing expense, but it would do nothing about the creative expense of designing and putting it all together.

What could work would be something like a "Shadowrunner's Travelguide Pamphlet" released as PDFs. Each one could be maybe 40 or 50 pages long, give or take, and focus on a given city. It would cover the regions, some detail about them and some sample locations, like in the older books. Sort of like the Shadowrunner's Guide to North America except that the chapters would be about a single major city and its immediate vicinity.
Ancient History
Small snag: by its agreement with WizKids, Fanpro cannot release a product exclusively as a PDF.
Thane36425
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Small snag: by its agreement with WizKids, Fanpro cannot release a product exclusively as a PDF.

Really? Gotta love lawyers.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Thane36425)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 28 2007, 10:16 PM)

Purely electronic products are the sole domain of the portion of FASA that went to Microsoft.

-Frank
cetiah
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Jan 28 2007, 11:30 PM)

Purely electronic products are the sole domain of the portion of FASA that went to Microsoft.

-Frank

Wow.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (sirdoom)

And why?

The old setting books didn't take themselves to seriously - so it was not that bad for the GSB not to make sense... though nothing beats the old Austria setting.

The new one, on the other hand, is an encyclopedia with more pages and factual errors than the main book... and finally got it's own supplement trying to make sense, especially concerning politics.

All in all, the german setting books most of the time are good examples of 'trying too hard'.
Synner
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Jan 28 2007, 11:30 PM)

Actually, this is incorrect. It wasn't "purely electronic products" that went to FASA Interactive and Microsoft, it was the rights to any and all SR and Battletech video and computer game-related products, period.

FanPro's original license from Wizkids covered all Shadowrun and Battletech Classic-related roleplaying and table top game properties with a couple of notable exceptions. One was the novels (at the time Wizkids had other plans for those rights) and another was exclusively electronic products (chalk it up to pdf only sales being a fringe market at the time). While the former issue is in limbo for various reasons, FanPro is actively addressing the second issue.
Grinder
All in all, the german setting books most of the time are good examples of 'trying too hard'.

Yep. And the "romantic" (for a lack of a better description) anarchist ideas, like Free Berlin or all the major shadowtalkers coming from the anarchist' scene. sarcastic.gif
bait
SR4 seems to be more GM driven then previous editions, and its reflected in RH.

The GM is supposed to tailor the environments to fit the story and type of story their running. ( Some GM's like to emphasize a more cyber punk element where others like a more current time with a few extra touches environment.)

So the information provided gives the time frame and its up to the GM as to how things look and feel.
Sir_Psycho
I wouldn't mind a book based on criminal operations and other shadowrunner relevant information. Info on perhaps big yakuza/mafia strongholds, more on those shifty seoulpa ring shenanigans. I wanna know some specific arms dealers, fences, johnsons, smugglers, deckers and other shadowy characters and how they operate within the city, and how they interconnect.

Also, rather than a whole gamut of hotels and bars I'd like to see some detailed info on some specific sites in the city, like some big parks, any beaches, a certain city block/carpark/street that is contested gang territory and has regular gang war.

I want to know more about the various smuggling operations going in and out of seattle, what are the profitable goods to smuggle and to where, and what does it involve. It'd would be very cool to get involved in some independent black-market commodity trading.

I don't need to know about a 13th coffin motel and whether the owner has a hard on for ethnic dwarves and hates albino trolls.
Grinder
Do you know Target: Smuggler Havens and Underworld sourcebook?
sirdoom
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jan 29 2007, 08:27 AM)

Yep. And the "romantic" (for a lack of a better description) anarchist ideas, like Free Berlin or all the major shadowtalkers coming from the anarchist' scene. sarcastic.gif

Aehm, you know there are german ADL-specific sbs after DidS 2? Like Brennpunkt ADL, Schockwellen, München Noir, the extended Hamburg Chapter of Runner Havens, which are quite different compared to the "gagaesque" DidS 1(1994!) and the encyclopedic DidS 2(2001!)(and I agree more or less with your opinion in both of these points)? And I hardly believe European Policlubs full of Anarchists are a Fanpro(Germany) invention...
Grinder
I know the books, yes. But all the books don't fix the broken setting, that the ADL is. It has too many small states, that somehow don't fit. I would enjoy the german setting much more if a new revolution re-unites germany and brings it under a rigid police-state. That way, the setting would become different from the north american continent ("They have an elven kingdom! We'll have one too! And a troll one and an dwarven one!") and anarchists become more realistic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012